The What-To-Do-To-Show-You-Like-Them Inventory

This morning’s Thanksgiving MegaMeeting,
hosted by the 400 East Team,
ROCKED THE HOUSE!

Sixty-one of us packed into every available inch; TCO Nancy Halsema got us through the meeting, including referrals, and ending at 8:33; the buzz of people connecting afterward pegged the decibel meter.

Nancy invited me to present a workshop–The Profitability of Liking.

Here’s the back story:
In the 1980’s the business mantra was “People do business with people they like.”

In the 1990’s the business mantra was updated to “People do business with people they like, and people who are like them.”

In the 21st century things have changed again. In the year 2009 the updated mantra is: “People do business with people who like them.”

So the profitability question is:

How do you know that someone likes you?

Build an inventory of Liking here, and we’ll all generate more business.

To Referrals ~ and Beyond,    W!

Wendy L. Kinney, PowerGenerator
PowerCore
404-816-3377
Wendy@PowerCore.net

Rachel Berhannan, TCO of the North Fulton Team, took the yellow slips.
Here are the results of the morning:

Member to GateOpener:  11
Member to Prospect:        13
Member to Member:           7
Me+You=Coffee:                60
Visitors:                                    2

Grand Total:                    93

Clearly the money will keep rolling in from this meeting for months!

13 Responses to The What-To-Do-To-Show-You-Like-Them Inventory
  1. Wendy Kinney
    November 24, 2009 | 2:09 pm

I know people like me when they invite me to lunch. My friend Toby is good about this. She’ll email an invitation, and I always think “Oh, she likes me!” (PS Thanks Toby) Toby is good at making friends. I’ll bet she could make friend with anyone.

2. Karen Chartier
    November 24, 2009 | 2:13 pm

After going through the arduous process of applying for a mortgage, when a borrower sends me a warm thank you note, and even sometimes, a thank you gift, I know they must really like me a lot, even after everything I have put them through!

3. Kelly Vandever
    November 24, 2009 | 2:24 pm

I know people like me when…

They ask my opinion – and want to actually hear it!
    They make time for me
    They remember that my grandchild was named for a famous rock musician (you know who you are ;0)
    They stop what they’re doing and really look and listen to me

4. Wendy Kinney
    November 24, 2009 | 2:24 pm

I know someone likes me when they follow me on Twitter! When someone follows me I go check their profile, and I just recognized a guy who was at the convention in Phoenix last week. He must have liked me enough to look me up. Cool.

5. Kristin Marchman
    November 24, 2009 | 3:30 pm

Three ways I know someone likes me:
    They become a “fan” of my Synergy Release Sports facebook page (even when they’ve never been there!)
    They know about my husband and my cat, Mai Tai
    They bring me sweets at the office (although I don’t need them, it still makes me smile!)

6. Erica Prewett
    November 24, 2009 | 4:01 pm

I know people like me when I get a hand written card in the mail after I’ve just had coffee with them. The coffee itself might not have seemed like it amounted to much, but that follow through makes a great impression.

On the counter-side, I coach my clients to send Thank You notes to the guests who CAME to their party. When a guest gets a “Thank you for coming to my party” card in the mail, they will want to be on the guest list for next year. They are liked and the hostess wants to have them back.

Erica Prewett
    A Big To Do Event

7. Sid Plait
    November 24, 2009 | 4:26 pm

A week or so ago I got a voicemail from a client I hadn’t seen in over three years (September of 2006), and he wasn’t calling me to fix something. He just wanted to let me know that he appreciated the work I did (I’ll say it again) over three years ago and that he’ll call me if he needs me.

(I think he likes me!)

How cool is THAT?

8. Michael Schwartz
    November 24, 2009 | 5:12 pm

I know people like me when they link to my Web site from their Web site.
    Thanks Kelly Vandever!!

9. Michelle Miralles
    November 24, 2009 | 7:46 pm

A great way that people know you like them is by your body lanuage.
    Your smile, eye contact, relaxed arms by not having your arms crossed. A warm hand shake.

10. Wendy Kinney
    November 24, 2009 | 11:07 pm

Just thought of another one:
    I know people like me when they don’t test me.

Some people shake hands and tell me their name. Other people go out of the way to avoid telling me their name–and when I say “I’ve miss-filed your name, please remind me” they reply “Oh, you know me.”

I don’t feel as liked by those people.
    I feel liked when people have my back.

11. Jim Klun
    November 25, 2009 | 11:45 am

I know that people like me when they share personal things about themselves and their family. Things like what their kids are doing or involved with at school. When they let down that professional barrier and share personal facts it shows they not only like me but they have confidence in me as well.

12. Jennifer Autian
    November 27, 2009 | 9:42 am

I know someone likes me when they come from across the room to greet me. They also take the extra minute to introduce me to someone else.

I know someone likes me when they tell others, call Jennifer – she’ll know the answer (or get you to the right person.)

What I do for people I like – send them articles or information about activities that they are interested in. Example – client in Woodstock area with small children, I let them know about the Christmas parade on Dec 5th, then throw in that I’ll be there with my son and hope to see them.

Like people, and they usually like you back.

13. Bonnie Lelak
    December 2, 2009 | 4:51 pm

I know people like me when I haven’t posted on Facebook or Twitter in a few days (I’m always on there)and they call me to see what is going on.

I know people like me when I walk in a room and they know me well enough to know that most of the time I hug instead of handshake.