Referral Trigger for the week of June 3

Conversation led this week by the Whitlock Avenue Teamall responses welcome.

Take a look at a We Did Business slip.

Where are the goal posts for you on either side of an On Base referral?

Is it the amount of time you have to spend with this client? The size of their business?

The length of time between introduction and decision?

The proximity to your quota requirement? When do you check On Base?

Comment below to share your perspective.

10 Responses to Referral Trigger for the week of June 3
  1. Jim Klun
    June 3, 2013 | 3:25 pm

For me it all relates to gallons of fuel. It can be gasoline or diesel fuel. It can be one vehicle or it can be 100 vehicles. The decision for any customer to be an On Base customer is determined by how much fuel they use on a monthly basis. If I am able to see some existing statements or reports that gives me an idea of how much fuel is being used is a great help. There are some customers that make the decision to come on board with the QuikTrip Fleet program during the initial meeting. Then there are customers that can take a few months to decide if they want to partner with QuikTrip to reduce fuel costs. The decision is theirs! I never apply pressure to make a decision. It has to make sense for the customer and they have to be able to see the savings being put back to the bottom line.

2. Nick Jensen
    June 3, 2013 | 3:49 pm

Being in the life and health insurance business, an on base can be just as important as a grand slam in the future. When a person becomes a policy holder with my Allstate agency, it is an opportunity to become their go to life insurance guy for their lifetime. The best example of this is when a client buys a basic term policy or a disability policy with me. It may be only one policy in the present, but as more changes occur in their life and their needs grow, their insurance needs grow as well. If I can establish a great relationship with a client early on and show them that I am the best agent for their life/health insurance and disability needs, they will turn to me when their needs grow. This is also helpful when this type of client gets me “on base” with their inner circle of family and friends. The payoff may not be a home run or grand slam right now, but as time moves on and I stay in contact with my clients, slowly those “on base” slips turn into grand slams!

3. Tommy Schlosser
    June 3, 2013 | 4:02 pm

For me it is # of policies. One home or a single auto would be on base. I came to this conclusion for two reasons… 1.) I can’t do anything less than one policy and 2.) if you get enough on bases even though it does not have the stigma of a grand slam it still pays the bills.

4. David Zimmerman
    June 3, 2013 | 4:02 pm

1)As a Realtor an On Base run to me would be a referral, I may in turn refer to another agent I locate using my database. Such may be the case for someone moving out of state that needs help finding a trusted Realtor, or someone looking for commercial property I would refer out and the other agent would pay me a referral fee. There is really no goal posts because this could be a small transaction, or large depending on what kind of property they are looking for.
    2) The amount of time I spend on it is really not a factor, or the size of their business.
    3)The length of time between introduction and decision can be quite considerable for real estate transactions, but in residential it is typically 3 to six months from decision to We Did Business Slip.
    4)I do not check On Base very often because most referrals are Home Runs or Grand Slams, but I am more than open to getting On Base, it just does not happen often.

5. Jean K. Hawlkins
    June 3, 2013 | 7:00 pm

An On Base referral is someone who will have fewer touch points than the home run or grand slam. Their needs may simply be less than those we will touch base with more. Often, we find that a loyal On Base referral becomes a referral source for us or will simply remain a loyal client for many years or for life.

A referral of any kind is an appreciated compliment of the highest order to which we must work to live up to each day.

6. Terry Gilbreath
    June 3, 2013 | 8:07 pm

For our business an “On Base” referral is that first piece of business which produces a deposit. This could be an emergency call for virus removal or a system crash. A “Home Run” is where we negotiate some level of recurring business with some proactive maintenance included and a “Grand Slam” results in a 1-3 year Managed Services contract.

7. Samantha
    June 4, 2013 | 7:55 am

An on base for me would be a client that comes to me because she is upset with where she is banking at and I do an account for them. A home run is when I can help them with their accounts and loans. A grand slam is when I get a business relationship out of it down the road or when they open up their personal with me.

8. John Hulbert
    June 6, 2013 | 3:34 pm

For my business and in the Travel Industry in general, it is two-fold. An On Base referral relates to the amount of time spent with the client, and the length of time between introduction and decision. For example, a group outing such as a Family Reunion will require several phone conversations and in-person meetings, and will often times begin a year or more ahead of the actual departure date. Think about it like this, when a couple gets engaged, the wedding date is usually set for one year later.

9. Kriston Sellier
    June 6, 2013 | 5:42 pm

Great responses Whitlock team!

Helping small businesses with one of their needs would be on-base. Let’s say, they need new business cards based on a company move. I might sit down with the business owner for an hour and talk about the business card and help them determine the best way to use their business card. And how that business card can become a living and breathing tool for marketing their business.

What would turn an on-base into a home run would be that the small business may need more materials – a brochure, a folder or consulting on what materials will give their sales team the biggest impact.

As the baseball reference goes, putting a bunch of singles together still scores runs. I am happy to bring value through design. Every connection is a grand slam to me!

10. Ben Persons
    June 6, 2013 | 11:44 pm

I focus on helping people injured in motor-vehicle and tractor-trailer wrecks. A large number of my cases are referred to me by former clients. My business strategy is to provide personal attention to every client and maximize the value of every case, so when the case settles and I’m giving the client a check they can’t wait to recommend my firm to everyone they know. Whether it’s an on-base, home run, or grand slam to me, settling a case for full value is always a grand slam to the client. For my business, the client’s perspective is what’s important. This is why every on-base is extremely valuable to me. Every new client, no matter how modest the case, is not only an opportunity to help someone in need, but an opportunity to prove my worth to a new referral source.