What to DO to GET Referrals: Timing

Referral Trigger for the week of March 28
Topic: Power Etiquette
Conversation led by the Fayette Team (100% responses achieved)

…. Choose just one of the products or services you provide.

What is the most crucial time frame involved in producing
a satisfied client for that product?

Is it the time between the initial request and the price estimate?

The time between the initial contact and the next appointment?

Or is it time to fulfillment? Tell us how the timing works for you.

Click here to share your perspective.

14 Responses to What to DO to GET Referrals: Timing
  1. Jamie Arion
    March 28, 2016 | 6:52 pm

I have several ‘critical times’, because my business is about building a relationship first. If a person has contacted me for more information, absolutely the time it takes for me to re-connect with that person is critical. My rule is 24 hours or less if possible.
    If the person as purchased AdvoCare products, follow up is key. I have a notebook system that helps me keep track of my clients. Initially, when a person gets started, I am following up on day 1, day 3, day 5 and day 7. It is so important to make sure product is being taken correctly and also to tweek timing of products. Also during this follow up, I address any special social eating challenges and just make myself available to answer any questions my client may have. Accountability is key for success when it comes to changing behaviors. Behavioral Changes is what I am asking from my clients to help with a lifestyle that they can live and feel well on. I also provide guidance and resources for my clients to ensure their success and they feel they are not along on their wellness journey.

2. Sheila Rambeck
    March 29, 2016 | 9:54 am

One of my critical times can be preparing a healthcare power of attorney for an elderly person. They may be about to undergo a medical procedure or be showing signs of Alzheimer’s, so it’s crucial to get this document completed as soon as possible while they are still competent. The time between the initial request and document production can be as little as a few hours, if necessary. If the elderly person is hospitalized, I can meet with them, go back to my office to prepare the document, and return for their signature, all in the same day. In a true emergency, if the hospital has a wi-fi enabled printer and will let me use it, I don’t even have to leave the hospital. I can access my work computer remotely and prepare the documents in the waiting room from my laptop.

3. Ellie White-Stevens
    March 30, 2016 | 1:39 am

When I’m doing a new brand for a new business, the crucial time is after my initial consultation and after my brand messaging consultation. It’s the time between when we’ve developed a solid brand message (which they are excited to see put in use) and when we have our first logo proofs. Clients are inevitably anxious about how quickly we’ll deliver, about the level of quality we’ll provide, whether we caught their vision. There is so much relief after we deliver first proofs, which take about 2 weeks to see, because out of the five or so options we offer, typically there are several that the client really likes. Recently I finished a logo project for a Doctor who will be offering consultations to breast cancer patients. We created a logo that has the feel of a pink ribbon, but with a twist. The doctor loved our first proofs, and was able to see those morph into her ideal, over the course of just a few weeks of back and forth and tweaking. Saying I’ll deliver, and actually delivering, takes a few weeks, but it’s so worth the process for my clients.

4. Marie Metzger
    March 30, 2016 | 12:02 pm

One of my most crucial time frames involved in producing a satisfied client for Homeowner’s and Auto insurance is within a few hours. Clients expect a quick turn-around time when requesting quotes. I always make it a point to initially gather the information and listen to the needs of the client. Afterwards, I let them know I’ll call them back with 2 hours with their estimate. This set the expectation and keeps me focused on their situation at that time.

5. John Ellison
    March 30, 2016 | 12:58 pm

Of the different types of mortgage transactions Fairway Mortgage offers, the purchase transaction ultimately has the most crucial time frame. It is critical that a mortgage for a purchase closes on time. The buyer, along with the real estate agents, the seller, the closing attorney, the insurance agent, the movers, and possibly even other transactions are all depending on the closing documents being at the closing along with the money on the correct date. As one real estate agent told me about 20 years ago, “You’re only as good as your last closing.” And now, the Dodd-Frank Act has thrown even more time-related wrenches into the equation. Communication is key, as well as everyone doing their respected jobs from application to the closing in a timely manner. Time is always of the essence. In the end, a loan closing on time equals a satisfied client and real estate agent which in turn will equal future referrals.

6. Dr. Andreone
    March 30, 2016 | 2:30 pm

The primary and most important service that I offer is the chiropractic adjustment to remove nerve pressure. The sooner we can get to the initial onset of pain or symptom, the faster the patient can expect results. I’ve seen people who started with a pain in the morning, walk out of the office completely pain free. However, many times people will ride it out, hoping it will get better on it’s own, week after week. By the time they come in, the symptom is so chronic, it will usually take more time – and therefore more money – for them to start to feel relief.

7. Eric Hinkle
    March 30, 2016 | 6:38 pm

As a CPA that specializes in tax management and business consulting a primary service is income tax preparation. That time is happening right now! With the initial tax filing deadline only 2 weeks away a key factor in producing a satisfied client is preparing their returns in a timely manner and also helping them understand their return information. My most satisfied clients work with me throughout the year so that when their tax returns are being filed we don’t have any surprises that have not already been discussed.

8. Preston Delashmit
    March 30, 2016 | 9:13 pm

When a client decides to sell his/her business, it is crucial that we navigate the due diligence process quickly in order to arrive at a timely closing. The client becomes emotionally and psychologically invested when the decision to sell is made (even if the company was not “for sale” and an unsolicited offer crosses the threshold), and the passage of time is our enemy. Financial statements (particularly audited or reviewed statements) must be updated if several months pass before closing. The due diligence process can be the longest part of the transaction process (collecting and producing material contracts, financial documentation, tax information, corporate governance documents, etc.) and it must be meticulously managed to avoid a meandering menagerie. Many middle-market companies struggle to produce documentation timely in response to a due diligence request from the purchaser (records can be disorganized). We enjoy assisting the client (on-site at the client’s office) to collect and produce responsive documents, so that we can keep the transaction process moving along smoothly, negotiate transaction documents, and enjoy a spirit-filled closing dinner with our satisfied clients and transaction partners as we celebrate the journey together.

9. Venis Sims
    March 31, 2016 | 9:05 am

The product of choice is tenant procurement. Average market time is 30 days. That market time is from listing to move-in. Another time frame involved in tenant procurement is application submission to leasing decision. However the most crucial time frame is listing to move in because move in is the point where the owner begins to see their return on investment.

10. Jeff Bartholomew
    March 31, 2016 | 2:25 pm

I produce a lot of custom training for clients and the crucial time for me is the content development phase which is both time consuming and critical because the quality of the content is directly related to my ability to listen to the client’s needs. Responding in a timely manner with high-impact content is the life-blood of my training business. Doing it right the first time shows the client I can listen, synthesize and create the proper content…and it saves me a lot of money by not having to do it over again.

Later today, I am delivering a plan for a comprehensive sales training program for a distribution company and I am delivering 15 minutes of sample content. If all goes well, I will be able to deliver this content to their three sales organizations in ATL, B-ham and N-ville and invoice this client roughly $40,000 over the next 6-months!

And in mid-April, I have a similar presentation with a major carpet company to deliver the outline for a comprehensive sales curriculum that could be used across their global sales organization.

I love developing training programs and content for my clients!

11. Carl Querna
    March 31, 2016 | 3:24 pm

People are creeped out by roaches, ants, spiders, scorpions, rats, bats, fleas, ticks, and most every kind of bug crawling and cohabitating with them in their living space. When you come home from work and discover 300 winged termite swarmers covering your dining room floor it is a real shock. The sooner you can deliver a price and provide relief from the fear and anxiety associated with a bug problem, the higher your closing ratio will be. That is why we have a low set price for our Pest Control; $60/qtr. Unlimited Free Re-Service, Complete Satisfaction Guaranteed. This makes EarlyBird easy to refer to others and because the price is basically set, it can be quoted and sold immediately over the phone. The customer is able to “do” something immediately and not have to wait for a quote. With our quick response time, the actual problem is solved in short order.

12. Tom Richards
    April 1, 2016 | 10:24 am

With my industry, time is always the key factor. I rely on so many things to line up that is becomes a game at times. Recently on a 4 week time line I had a supplier call me that he could not due his part because of a family death. I had a back up plan although these plans usually cost more and don’t always follow the original time line. When this happens I do everything I can to keep the time line true to the quote and if the costs change, I absorb those. I quote based on what is best for the client not what is best for me in every job.

13. Phil Downey
    April 1, 2016 | 12:29 pm

We answer phones for our clients. Our most important time is when the phone rings. The process needs to be seamless so when the call is complete the caller can check off on their to do list the reason for calling. Peace of mind that everything is completed.

Phil Downey
    Your-own-secretary. Com

14. Kay McInroe
    April 1, 2016 | 1:05 pm

As a Realtor my goal is to be there for my clients every step of the way… and timing is everything.. from taking their first call to keeping up with timelines…making sure we have a smooth closing …
    that guarantees me future business and referrals.