What to DO to GET Referrals: Equal vs. Fair

Referral Trigger for the week of May 30
Topic: Leadership
Conversation led by the 30305 Buckhead Team (100% responses achieved)

…. Equal means everyone is treated the same.
Fair means people are treated based on what they’ve
earned and deserve.

• Do you treat your clients equally – the same; or
    fairly – some get more benefit than others.
  • Why have you chosen the equal or the fair business
    model, and where is the line for your clients?

Click here to share your perspective.

24 Responses to What to DO to GET Referrals: Equal vs. Fair
  1. Nance Donaldson
    May 27, 2016 | 11:30 am

I treat my clients according to their specific needs. New business owners need a lot more assistance in finding their first location. They need referrals to architects, insurance agents, sign companies, general contractors etc. Donaldson Realty has the time and patience to work with these people. Other clients have the experience and systems in place to make a quick deal. We show them the optimal spaces and move quickly toward lease negotiation. Neither of these are really equal or fair. We just deliver the best possible solution for their commercial real estate needs. Our motto is “Bringing the corporate real estate model to small businesses”. You get all the things you would expect from a big commercial firm without being ignored because of your size.

2. Lauren Smith
    May 27, 2016 | 11:42 am

Fair. With family law cases, it is never a “one size fits all” situation. The only option is “fair”; “equal” is impossible. Some cases are going to require expert witnesses and depositions. Some cases would benefit from a deposition, but the resources might not be available, so I look to less expensive discovery tools. Some clients are broken hearted and require a lot of assistance realizing what their needs are, while others have fully embraced the realities of their situation and are completely pragmatic. No case is created equal, and I can only meet my clients where I find them. However, I make it my priority to give each, the time, attention, and respect they deserve.

3. Phil Minnes
    May 27, 2016 | 11:43 am

My answer is dictated by my industry. In insurance we treat every client equally, meaning the policies pay for exactly what they say they will in the contract every time. It is setting our customer’s expectations that is important so they know exactly what to expect at claim time.

That being said, it would be unfair for us to expect our clients to know what coverage is best for themselves so we do a great deal of consulting and this is different for each client.

4. J. Kevin Powell
    May 27, 2016 | 11:58 am

Much of my efforts are customized for clients with varying degrees of needs. I enjoy the process of determining what mix of options can resolve their issues so I use a fair approach to generate the most growth based on their situation. That way, every client can receive the best efforts available to them and based on current circumstances.

5. Darrell Rodgers
    May 27, 2016 | 12:34 pm

We treat them fairly according to their needs. What might be right for a hospitality client of ours may be wrong for a medical client. Everything that we do it based on the future plans of the customer and tailored to their needs.

In order to treat each client well, we have to know where they are now and where they want to go.

6. Alana Thomas
    May 27, 2016 | 1:39 pm

I treat all of my clients equally with the same amount of dignity and respect. However, when it comes to answering the needs of my clients it all depends on what services they seek. Some clients require more attention than others and I have learned to be more communicative with those clients. It is my job to be an expert in my field and help guide those who seek our services and I believe the best way to do so is with kindness and respect- which every client equally deserves.

7. David Jennings
    May 27, 2016 | 3:15 pm

Our emphasis is on helping people do business better. We focus on delivering IT an engineering services that meet their needs. We treat our clients like we want to be treated.

8. Norm Hatke
    May 28, 2016 | 2:14 pm

Every Buyer scenario and every Seller scenario is different. Some have more experience in the real estate market than others. Some need more hand-holding; first-time buyers, for instance. All of my clients are treated fairly but not necessarily equal because of their experiences, their expertise, their knowledge, and their individual needs.

9. Peter Falkner
    May 30, 2016 | 7:00 pm

I try to treat all my clients fairly based on their needs and resources. I am very transparent about my services and how much they cost. A client with a small budget will get somewhat less of my time and resources. They know what they are getting and I’m clear that they will get 100% of my focus and expertise no matter how big the budget is.

10. Vince Battaglia
    May 31, 2016 | 10:58 am

I hope we all treat our clients/customers fairly. I do not think we can treat all clients equally. Let me use a short example, of managing co-workers or a parent teaching a child. There are many factors that are taken in to effect on “each” co-worker or child. How well do we know them, their experience, their maturity, their actions, and their dependability? With clients, what factors do we consider? Distance having to travel, how long have you known your client (a client of 1 week verse a client of six years), the potential profit making? Is this a client your company wants to develop with in the future? A larger client, we may be willing to offer a free demo. How strategic is the client to your business? Is there a potential problem with the client? And the finial question, what does your experience and gut say about investing in the new client. I know, I treat all my clients fairly, treat them with respect, respond quickly, listen to their needs, and value their feedback. Do I treat them equally? Well, I try really hard to treat them all equally.

11. Sandy Jones
    May 31, 2016 | 1:01 pm

I treat my customers fairly. Some need more guidance than others, and some know exactly what they want. We give our undivided attention to clients when they are in the store consulting with us. If they need more time than we can give on a specific day, we request that they make an appointment so we can give them our complete uninterrupted time to tackle the challenge they are facing. We price our work competitively, which gives our clients value for their money spent with us. We try to pepper our relationships with some fun a laughter, which puts them at ease and relieves any tension they may feel about their quest. We treat our clients equally with respect and listen attentively to their needs. We do our very best for each client, and equally take care of their precious items. By making our store a comfortable place to do business, we insure that our clients become repeat visitors and that they will refer us to their friends and family.

12. Victor Nassar
    May 31, 2016 | 3:19 pm

All customers get equal treatment when it comes to receiving my undivided attention. However; every customer is unique with their situation and each gets a custom tailored approach that is fair to them and in their best interest.

13. Jessi Patton
    May 31, 2016 | 4:57 pm

Every family,every estate plan is very different. However, I meet with each family to customize a plan that would work best for their current season of life. Although each plan varies, we make sure to offer all our clients the same excellent standard of service. We make house calls available to every client as well as offer all our clients a complimentary estate plan “check up” every three years to make sure their plan stays up to date. I try to not only be an estate planning attorney, but a trusted advisor that my clients can rely on throughout their lifetime.

14. Derek Duvoisin
    May 31, 2016 | 6:56 pm

Armstrong relocation treats all relocation customers fairly but recognizes no two moves are the same therefore no to relocation packages will be identical either. However, regardless of the size/scope of the move all employees treat the personal goods of each of our customers as if it was their own. We take extraordinary care to ensure all goods arrive in the exact condition in which they were before the move.

15. Mary Madison
    June 1, 2016 | 10:01 am

Some of my clients require more encouragement than others. The service I provide is support and accountability, but most successful clients are intrinsically motivated to get healthy. I am able to listen to his or her challenges, empathize, and provide materials to achieve their goals. The client must bring a mindset of change to the table. The pain of staying sick and tired must be greater than the pain of learning and utilizing new habits for lasting change. In this way, the fair business model is used, as each client has unique needs.

Mary Madison
    COPE Certified Health Coach
    404.966.5538

16. Ivry Atlee
    June 1, 2016 | 2:29 pm

Its a sliding scale. I initially treat all of my clients equally. I attempt to give my clients the very best of my service. However, when the ratio of client demands/client fees are out of sync (very demanding clients vs very little fees) I have a tendency to treat my clients fairly.

17. Terry Furuta
    June 2, 2016 | 3:47 pm

I specialize in connecting people with plants so I treat my clients fairly. Some people require more attention than others and need more education about plants and arrangements. My corporate clients need their arrangements to always look perfect and fabulous so I make sure I am available to them at a moment’s notice. Some clients just want to run into my shop and quickly choose a gift or call and have something delivered. Others need me to come to their office or home to choose the best location for their arrangements.

18. Joe Koziak
    June 2, 2016 | 4:55 pm

With insurance, everyone is treated fairly based upon their rate, age and other demographics. The question then remains, with which clients do you go the extra mile? In my case, I have clients who do not understand how to use insurance, have difficulty making claims or receive an unsatisfactory response from the insurance company or from healthcare.gov. In this cases, I want to make sure that the client knows that I am in their corner to help them through any difficulties.

19. Paul Sather
    June 2, 2016 | 5:38 pm

Many of my clients have no idea what radon mitigation mitigation entails so I treat my clients fairly during the quoting and scheduling process. Every customer has unique needs and time requirements. When we are working on the house it’s equal, we do every aspect of the work to the same standard (treat the home as if were your own)!

20. Dr. Kyrin Dunston
    June 2, 2016 | 5:55 pm

In my business medical care should generally be fair and equal, although people’s personal financial situations and health insurance or lack thereof, as well as their educational level often determine if they actually get equal and fair treatment. In America, fair in medicine is what the recent healthcare changes are an attempt to remedy? But we are a far way off from equal in American healthcare.

Because of the special type of medicine that I practice and the fact that insurance generally does not pay for it, my clients value their health greatly and are willing to pay above and beyond their insurance to secure a higher standard of care. You could say they want to be more than equal. Is that fair? I think it’s similar to paying extra for private school vs public.

In my practice I treat all clients fairly and equitably. They all have unlimited access to me and can chat or Skype when they need. So there is no inequity in my office.

21. Jennifer Raby
    June 2, 2016 | 10:47 pm

In personal training, it is important for my clients to understand that while they are all treated equally in terms of what they are charged for my service, a FAIR exchange of service for what they pay relies heavily on what they bring to the table. To be 100% truthful, clients who show up raring to go and work through every exercise to the best of their abilities are going to get more “bang” for their buck than clients who routinely show up late, cut workouts short, or cancel. When it comes down to it, the issue of fairness lies as much on the clients as it does on me. I don’t want people who aren’t going to show up – in every sense of the word – to fill up my schedule and take away from those who work hard with me week after week!

22. Mike Rusenko
    June 3, 2016 | 10:20 am

As a CPA firm, we offer a wide range of services that are available for our clients such as tax preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services, and business consulting. Some clients use us for all of these services, some only need help with one specific project. As a result, we treat our clients fairly, not according to the definition in the question which describes fair as being what people have earned or deserve, but rather, tailoring our attention and services based on what the client needs and is willing to pay for.

23. Keith Michelfelder
    June 3, 2016 | 11:50 am

I am fair in that I put my clients needs before mine. I use my best efforts to be transparent in pricing, give the best research, and be available.

I am not equal because each client has a unique set of financial goals and challenges. They need to have customized solutions to achieve those goals and meet those challenges.

24. Dr. Dana Kind
    June 3, 2016 | 2:30 pm

Every patient is a unique case and has different needs, but all are treated equally. It may be a person with Insurance, Pays cash, or is involved in a Personal Injury case, we treat all patient the same and give the best quality care for their needs.