What to DO to GET Referrals: When To Talk About What – Busy season

Referral Trigger for the week of December 5
Topic: When To Talk About What
Conversation lead by the Dogwood Team (100% responses achieved)

Woman in computer room using personal digital assistant and smil Identify when your industry’s busy season begins.

• Now count back three months earlier:  at that time,
    three months before busy begins,
    what are clients who are thinking about making a change doing?
  • What is going on in their business to make them consider
    starting to use someone like you, or switching from
    the person they have been using.

24 Responses to What to DO to GET Referrals: When To Talk About What – Busy season
  1. Scott Thompson
    December 2, 2016 | 9:35 am

Health Insurance is an odd beast. Because of the Affordable Care Act, there are now strict deadlines, but there’s also a sense of dread that hangs over the conversation because it’s a pretty big slice of most folks’ budget. I try to make it easy for clients by sending a spreadsheet of options and inviting them NOT to look at it until we are both on the phone together. Most are surprised — “Not as painful as I thought” is what I hear a lot.

2. Dale Johnson
    December 2, 2016 | 10:06 am

My bus(ier) season begins right in November when the holiday season is fast approaching. The trouble is people are not thinking about plumbing at all 3 months earlier. Matter of fact they are not thinking about plumbing at all. Until they decide to clean up that guest bathroom or that bathroom they rarely use and they suddenly remember that the toilet was not working or the faucets have been dripping for months. That’s when I get that call three days before Thanksgiving to fix that toilet that has been broken for two years. Happens every year like clockwork. We get to as many as we can but many people don’t understand my chuckle when they call me at that fateful time. Many customers will actually use someone else if I can’t get to them in time. However I have had several customers call me back and apologize and say they will never use anyone else again and next time they will just wait for me.

3. Kelly Reese
    December 2, 2016 | 1:09 pm

Our busiest time of the year is after the Christmas/New Year holiday. Many of our clients have already planned the Christmas holidays with their family, including the children, so they do not want to interrupt the plans, especially during the holiday season. It is usually the New Year which forces everyone to finally call or reach out to an attorney to talk about divorce. We are very busy from January all the way until the end of May, with a small change of pace throughout the summer months.

People that go through divorce typically do not come see me the first time they contemplate a divorce. It is usually after they have thought about it, discussed it with friends, and thought about it some more before they contact me. The sooner you speak with someone, the better. Divorce is an exhausting, anxiety ridden process. The more information you have, the better prepared you will be and the less anxious you will feel.

4. Tony Fiorda
    December 2, 2016 | 3:04 pm

As a commercial photographer and not a family photographer, I rely on business’s to spend money. So what’s drives them to do that? Seasonal sales, such as clothing. Take for instance a company that creates catalog for clothing sales, the photography needs to happen before the catalog designer can complete the catalog, send it the printer to print, and distribute it for the sale. Their need to be ahead of the season is what drive them to use someone like me.

5. Kyle Gruskowski
    December 2, 2016 | 3:34 pm

When it comes to P&C insurance there are multiple points in the calendar year that qualify as a busy season. Many of it has to relate to the accounting period budget meetings for individuals or businesses. The main accounting periods in a calendar year fall on: Jan. 1st, April 1st, Sept. 1st. Any budget meeting or process usually starts right before the turn of the fiscal year. If the majority of your book of business, or a company’s insurance policies shares one of the three dates mentioned above, it can become very daunting as you approach the deadline. To avoid any last-minute changes from our customers, we will send out what the new policy will be 3 months in advance. This will give the customer time to review the policy, and it will give us time to make any changes, so when the deadline comes, it is a smooth transition. By having a well-organized strategy formulated during the busy seasons, it mitigates any mistakes or last minute changes and allows our customer to get back to working on their business.

6. Jennifer Keaton
    December 2, 2016 | 3:36 pm

For a divorce mediator like me, I have an upcoming “busy season” that starts in late February. These clients are usually working with a couples’ counselor or an attorney before they take my class, Crash Course Divorce, or schedule a divorce mediation appointment. They start thinking about mediation as an option to get through the legal process of divorce once they learn that divorce attorneys around town charge about $300 per hour (or more!) and that the costs of two attorneys will crush college funds for the kids or their retirement accounts.

When they begin to explore how to minimize the financial costs of the legal part of the divorce process, they often evaluate whether mediation is an option. When they learn that the metro-courts are likely to order them to participate in mediation anyway, the value of coming up with their own “severance package” rather than rolling the dice with the judge often tips in favor of calling me at 2 Step Divorces.

7. Jim Tardif
    December 2, 2016 | 6:59 pm

My business is only 1 year old and therefore, I’ve only experienced one annual business cycle. I believe my busy season in the spring time.
    Three months prior my clients are developing and implementing strategies and growth plans for the new year. Many are making the decision to start new businesses, while others are considering relocation or opening new locations to take advantage of new or growing markets. A project plan for opening a new business location is packed with challenges to both time and finances. Signage, although a critical element of marketing a new business in often considered low on the list of priorities. Too often, the new business owner begins thinking about signage when the Grand Opening plan comes to mind. Procrastination or the lack of experience in what it takes to design, permit, fabricate and install a quality outdoor sign package often means the sign won’t be available for the Grand Opening or the event needs to be delayed. Those business owners who are referred to Signs of Significance early are teamed with industry experts who will educate and guide them through the project time line. The Signs of Significance team understands; design time, permitting processes and signage criteria of all parties as well as fabrication requirements and timelines. We work and coordinate with the best installation teams early in the process to ensure fabrication and installation schedules are matched to meet required project deadlines.

8. Izzy Israeli
    December 5, 2016 | 7:23 pm

my buisness starts to peak from october to april. 3 month befor i connect, shake hands,and network as much as possible. i also explain why me . and show my exoerties.i rely heavily in compleet satisfaction and future buisness to come back to me with referals.

9. Susan Fraley
    December 6, 2016 | 2:08 pm

People who have a home to sell are preparing for the spring selling season, which is the most active time of year for Atlanta’s real estate market. Three months prior to June each year, those would be sellers are de-cluttering their homes and sprucing up their yards. People who plan on selling their home in the spring are motivated by job transfers, moving into a more desirable school district, moving into a larger home or looking to move to a smaller home. These life events cause the need to hire a Realtor who can provide staging, handymen, lawn care and painters, because they know that putting a home’s best foot forward will help the home seller faster and usually for more money.

10. Lewis Hammond
    December 6, 2016 | 4:16 pm

My busy season varies by client and is usually opposite their busy season. Take my accounting services clients. During tax season, they hire extra people and their computer system is the last thing they want to think about (unless one goes down). It’s when they are getting ready for tax season that my busy season with them begins. After tax season is another busy season for me as they see things they want to change or improve. It’s also a good time to get new accounting clients whose computer system made tax season a nightmare. Then there are my contractors. Same theory, different times of the year. With enough client diversity, it’s always busy season!

11. Thomas Martin
    December 6, 2016 | 4:49 pm

Our busiest season is from Nov 15 through Jan 31.
    Three months prior to this time, prospects are looking at their payroll processes and thinking about the stresses and complications of planning and organizing for year end. Bonuses, fringe benefit reporting, maximizing retirement contributions and such.
    Thoughts of outsourcing or changing their current relationship begin. They assess the competence of in house personnel,will other business functions take a back seat to year end or is my current provider responsive, available and knowledgeable enough.
    Less true now than in the past, businesses make the decision to change for the new year.

12. Bramha Ramkissoon
    December 6, 2016 | 5:22 pm

My busy season is from January through April. However, many businesses and people begin to focus on their Financial Statements and taxes from late fall as they try to anticipate what their year end results would be. I usually reach out to prospects in early winter so I will be in their mind for accounting and tax returns during tax season. Some businesses and people make changes at the end of tax season based on their experiences then.

13. Louis Agudo
    December 6, 2016 | 6:00 pm

Two defining periods for me are the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) Oct 15th – Dec 7th and the Under 65 Open Enrollment Period (OEP) Nov 1st – Jan 31st. They both have their challenges.

With Medicare, I prepare my clients for possible changes but because of Medicare compliance I am not allowed to divulge any information until Pre AEP which is Oct 1st – Oct 14th. With hundreds of clients it’s a challenge to get in touch with everyone during that time frame, change them if need be during the AEP and also deal with all the new business that comes in. I start reaching out in July, calling, emailing and mailing clients. Letting them know that I am here for them and also to see what changes they may have had in the year that may warrant a look at other plans for the upcoming year. I typically know who I am going to change and who I am going to keep in plans prior to the AEP. If they don’t know I am here for them, then why should they stay.

For under 65, there are 4 dates to keep in mind. November 1st is the start of open enrollment.Sign up for a plan between Nov 1st – Dec 15th and there will be an effective date of Jan 1st. Sign up between Dec 16th and Jan 15th and the next effective date will be Feb 1st. Sign up between Jan 16th and Jan 31st and the last effective date is March 1st.

The challenge is that plans are not typically divulged until the last week of October. There is also the sticker shock that clients are seeing year after year with less carriers and less options.

My clients are thinking about their coverages well in advance of the OEP because of the news of price increases and this year is no exception. I try to calm them and let them know we are all in the same boat and lets make the best choice for their needs.

Many times I’ll get referrals from my clients to their friends who are the do-it-yourselfers. They are tired of trying to find out if their doctors are covered, are their drugs in the formulary and need help understanding how the plans work. These are some of the best referrals for me.

14. Linda Esserman
    December 6, 2016 | 6:35 pm

One busy season for my design services is August through October to improve residential spaces for the holidays. Another busy time is late February through mid-May. These are clients that did not want the disruption during the holidays but wanted to get started after the first of the year and complete their design project before summer. My services and products are not usually decisions made quickly. The clients have been thinking about this step sometimes for a year. The impetus to hire me is when the thoughts and plans for the holidays begin to form in the fall or bonus checks are paid at year’s end.

15. Mark Craig
    December 6, 2016 | 6:44 pm

Typically my busy season really ramps up in the spring and then peaks in the late summer months. During those winter months, which usually align to the three months before the season, clients are exploring the possibilities of change in their living situation. They may want to move to a different school district, to downsize, to lower the term on the existing loan or to take some equity out of their home to do the remodel they always wanted to do. Their motivation will lead them calling an experienced lender who can provide options for their specific situations and ensure that the biggest purchase transaction they will do is handled with professionalism and close on time.

16. Kim Gustafson
    December 6, 2016 | 9:40 pm

My busiest time is from September until June. I help people retrain their brains to improve mental performance and/or alleviate the symptoms associated with ADD/ADHD, insomnia, memory loss, depression, and many other issues.

Before coming to me, some are looking for ways to maximize their own potential. I help by using Neurofeedback to improve their concentration, mental focus and clarity, rate of mental processing, etc. Others have realized that they, or their child, need help with one of the above listed brain based issues. They have had little success with traditional treatments, have grown tired of the side effects they experience with the drugs they have been prescribed, or they want a treatment that doesn’t just mask their symptoms, but actually alleviates them.

17. Mary Buzzeo
    December 6, 2016 | 10:58 pm

As a bookkeeper and QuickBooks Pro, my busy season is from November through February. Going back three months to mid-summer, the business owner may not be giving much thought to their bookkeeping as they are busy with vacations, kids going back to school, and just trying to keep the business moving along.

They may notice that bills are being paid late, income may be slow to collect, or there’s not enough money to cover payroll. They may start wondering if there is a better way to get a handle on the bookkeeping, especially if they are doing it themselves. If they have a bookkeeper, but they don’t feel like they are getting top notch service, they may start looking into other options.

Mary Buzzeo
    Journals & Ledgers
    678-723-7072

18. Chris Holzwarth
    December 7, 2016 | 3:51 pm

The busy season for College and Career Consultants is 10 months out of the year with different priorities for winter, spring, summer and fall. During the winter and spring seasons, Beyond the Applause hits the web and road by connecting with professional, parent and student groups to provide workshops and presentations about college, career and life planning.

Below are some questions that many parents with middle and high school students are asking. Beyond the Applause works to design presentations and seminars to answer college and career questions while supporting the idea that every student is unique and how s/he will understand h/er personality, aptitude and motivation to succeed in high school and beyond.

To name a few presentation options:

• The Big Picture: What Parents should know about college and career planning for students in middle and high school.
    • Music, Theater, Dance and Design: ArtSmart College and Career Development for Artists
    • Using Creativity to unlock innovation in arts, science, medicine and all fields of study.
    • Why assessments are critical to helping students design their ideal educational path
    • Get Ready to Launch: Transition programs that work for students’ entering high school, college and career
    • To pay or not to pay in full for a college education…this is the question? What do I need to know about paying for college?

Chris Holzwarth
    Beyond the Applause
    chris@beyondtheapplause.com
    770-715-3351

19. David Bailey
    December 7, 2016 | 11:42 pm

Investment real estate’s busy season varies depending on the liquidity of the client you are representing. If someone has sold a property recently and needs to reinvest that capital they will usually want to explore their alternatives regardless of what time of year it is.

As a commercial realtor I advise individuals and companies on using real estate as an investment. That means that when an investor sells one property, he will usually want to put that cash back into another piece of real estate. On the other hand, sometimes investors will sell a traditional investment like stocks or bonds and want to consider real estate as an alternative.

If someone or ‘some company’ has had what I call a ‘liquidity event’, then they will need to find an alternative for the capital that they have recently acquired.

As Gordon Gekko said in the classic 1987 movie Wall Street, “Money never sleeps”, and you can’t either if you are trying to reinvest your client’s capital.

20. Rick Farber
    December 8, 2016 | 10:32 am

Summer is slow in the real estate industry. The best answer to makeup for the slowdown is to expand the client base

21. Rick Farber
    December 8, 2016 | 10:35 am

the beat way to increase business in our slow season is to expand the customer base

22. Chris Perez
    December 8, 2016 | 11:26 am

The busy season for my personal business is the end of the year and the days before the Tax Filing deadlines. These are the dates that strike action and fear into the minds of most individuals. Since these dates reflect the deadlines for individuals to take advantage of their abilities to contribute to their children’s college savings plans as well as the ability to make tax deductible contributions to charities as well as retirement savings plans.

Planning ahead helps with some individuals and in most cases they are called to action by what they consider an emergency not by what I tell them is an emergency. I try to get my clients to plan ahead as the saying goes failing to plan is a recipe for planning to fail.

Their lives usually get in the way of them looking into considering making a change to someone like me. The biggest catalyst to someone considering such a move is usually a life changing event. The new job or potentially loss of a job, Marriage or divorce, the birth of a child or the serious illness of a parent. These are the types of life changing events that cause most individuals to take inventory of what is important in their lives and take action.

23. Dr. Debbie Estime
    December 8, 2016 | 11:56 am

The busiest time of the season is right now and during the spring. Since we are in network with a majority of health insurance companies, towards the end of the year most people have met their deductibles and are looking to visit their doctors to use their insurance coverage and/or HSA before it runs out. If they don’t use it, they lose it! In addition, individuals are traveling more, putting up holiday decorations and stressed with getting things done by the end of the year; I find patients come in for chiropractic adjustments to settle their nerves and stay balanced.

The other busy season is the spring towards summer. I find more patients of a motor vehicle accident come in during this time. Whether or not it just happened or happened during wintertime, they are now feeling residual effects of the impact and come in for relief and corrective care. Folks start increasing their activity level once it gets warm out like runners, mountain bikers, tennis players, golfers and cyclists. Usually, sudden increase in activity can cause aches and pains, so individuals will come in for proper alignment and/or massage. The other trend is that families are making plans to travel over the summer, so they come in with their kids as they are wrapping the end of the school year. Those kids that are in organized sports come in to stay fit and compete at an optimal level.

24. Chris Perez