Referral Trigger for the week of January 23
Topic: Reciprocity Is A Primary Principle of Referrals
Conversation lead by the Marietta Square Team  (100% responses achieved)

Two serious women in a business meeting sitting at a table in the office together analysing paperwork and putting together a business plan There is no PowerCore policy requiring a Member to refer to another Member
– if you’re married to a Realtor you won’t have referrals for the Realtor
at your table
– but there are other ways to reciprocate:
Share a way a Member could give benefit to you other than with a referral.
If a Member has done this, share what they did for you.
Do not repeat an answer  already given.

21 Responses to What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Reciprocity Is A Primary Principle of Referrals – Benefit
  1. Tyler Peabody
    January 20, 2017 | 3:13 pm

PowerCore, to me, is all about supporting those around our table in any way that we can. One way someone could support me that was Not a referral would be to “Like” my Facebook Page <>>… follow it… and maybe comment on my posts so as to help “boost” my exposure, and my other clients/potential clients see a number of people following my presence online and on FB or LinkedIN.

2. Branden Evans
    January 24, 2017 | 11:17 am

A past member of our team once invited me to speak to the members of her sorority. It was not a direct referral but the opportunity to share my services to a group of people who trusted her was a great way to introduce myself to many people at one time.

3. Sandy Weaver
    January 24, 2017 | 11:58 am

I love Tyler’s answer! If a team member can’t refer to me, a testimonial letter would be wonderful. The icing on the cake would be permission to use excerpts from it on my website. And the Belgian dark chocolate curls on top would be to send that letter to organizations who could bring me in to do workshops for their people.

4. Cheryl Richardson
    January 25, 2017 | 1:33 pm

Tyler seems to have the right answer to this trigger. Exposure to clients, even if not by way of a direct referral helps to get my name out. Scott Tufford includes me in his monthly newsletter to his past clients. There I am – every month on the back cover of his newsletter. You never know when a client may see that ad and think – “I need a business attorney.” It’s not a referral, but it is exposure.

5. Lynn Nelson
    January 25, 2017 | 2:26 pm

The other lawyers on my team support my law practice by sharing their knowledge and expertise. My team mates are generous with their time and are willing to help me in areas I do not practice. The benefit to me and my clients is immeasurable.

6. Jim McKinney
    January 25, 2017 | 4:01 pm

My teammates at Power Core really help me just by being an expert in their field. a good example of this is The closing Attorney Lynn Nelson. Lynn is constantly helping me with her knowledge of titles and Deeds. Lynn is always available and willing to help even if she doesn’t always get the referral.

7. Kriston Sellier
    January 25, 2017 | 5:27 pm

Members of the team have referred potential employees to me. I have been seeking admins, graphic designers, account managers to work for my business id8. Through connections at PowerCore, I have actually used the news/announcements time to let the group know who I am looking for. Through that method, I have hired two excellent employees that now work for id8. It’s difficult to find employees for a small business. However, with PowerCore, the members really know you and are good at matching personalities and skill sets.

8. benclark
    January 25, 2017 | 5:38 pm

First, my wife is a CPA but I have given referrals to other accountants in PowerCore. There are some things she does not do and that gives me the opportunity to find matches for the accountant on my team. Also I try to help by having coffees to learn more about their business so I can recognize when they may be a better match than she. One of my larger clients came to me as a referral from a CPA that was on another team. Of course his team had a financial advisor (don’t they all!). He simply thought I was just a better match to that client based on my age, experience, personality and skill set. Just like he thought I was a better match at that time other CPAs are better matches for some of my clients, based on the client need. Help your team members whenever you can is my rule.

9. Dillon Dunbar
    January 25, 2017 | 7:11 pm

I’d have to agree with Tyler’s answer as well. Social media has grown so much that just liking someone’s business page or leaving a good review helps tremendously. I’ve had many jobs I’ve had the pleasure of quoting and doing just because of someone’s review on nextdoor or Facebook.

10. Martrez Carter
    January 25, 2017 | 7:37 pm

A Member could give benefit to me other than with a referral would be to use my services. Member to Member business is a great way to benefit. We hear info minutes weekly about members services and products in powercore. We to can become better referral cheerleaders when you actually witness the members service or products. Great recommendation letters can come out of it allow other members from powercore online to trust you. Then they so will send you referrals. Kristen did this about a few weeks ago resulting to this.

11. nick barzegar
    January 25, 2017 | 7:49 pm

Lately I have been able to hand out more referrals thru bringing up more a small discussion/story as to how one of my members and their services helped either I personally or someone I refereed them to in the past. All about relaying the experience noted to pass onto them to visualize or understand better. This way its not more so a selling of a member/services but more so giving depth to having a memory/story to relate that business card I end up passing them.

12. Paul Prinzbach
    January 25, 2017 | 8:29 pm

Ben Clark has referred many jobs to me by giving a strong recommendation to people looking for a handyman on Nextdoor.

13. Jon LaMonte
    January 25, 2017 | 8:47 pm

Mike Smith of Momentum Construction is technically a competitor of ours, but he mainly does kitchens and bathrooms. When one of his clients wants work done on the exterior of the house or an additional structure, Mike turns to us. Mike also makes custom vanities, so we are trying to work with him as a vendor. Competitors that rely on each other.

14. Raymond Jackson
    January 25, 2017 | 10:50 pm

I have benefited from both current and past PowerCore members that have invited me to attend one of their association or organizational meeting. And they have taken the time to walk around and personally introduce me to those that they already spoken to about me. That was huge, rather than just leaving me in the room to mingle and fend for myself.

15. Keith Early
    January 25, 2017 | 11:04 pm

When I started my own firm two years ago, several members of my team provided feedback on my business plan. They also provided insight on what they thought businesses were looking for in a CPA firm. This advice helped me develop a better service model for my clients.

16. Chris Duncan
    January 26, 2017 | 5:47 am

I remember a time that I went to pick up the mail at my post office box and inside I found a copy of Scott Tufford’s newsletter. It was a good read with interesting information, but more importantly he had taken it upon himself to put a small ad on it promoting my business. Thus helping my marketing and increasing the exposure of my business. This small act of kindness meant so much to me, and was just as good as any referral.

17. John Trybalski
    January 26, 2017 | 10:03 am

The business card roster that we are given upon joining seems to me as a way to be a concierge to our clients. Each week I learn more about my fellow members and what they do. So while that client may not be ready to be referred right now we are always armed with the information that we have access to a team of professionals that can help our clients as needed.

18. Paul Shimek
    January 26, 2017 | 10:19 am

If a team member invites a visitor who joins, that would be an indirect benefit to me but a direct benefit to the team as a whole.

19. Scott Tufford
    January 26, 2017 | 10:55 am

We have a strong real estate sector on the Marietta Square team. Jim McKinney & Lynn Nelson participate with some of my co-op advertising. In return I am able to bring more buyers and closings to them.

20. Heather Gaston
    January 26, 2017 | 12:24 pm

Everyone has insurance!! I try to give information that sets our agency apart. In that, there are times that a member that has another source for their insurance comes to me and asks my advice on a coverage question or second opinion on what they’ve been told by another insurance professional, it makes a huge impression. I know this person trusts my expertise and it confirms my credibility to them. Relationships in this way always lead to amazing things.

21. Philip Ladin
    January 27, 2017 | 4:03 pm

I have found that sometimes I can work with the members spouse and share referrals with them. In more than one instance, I could not give a referral to the PowerCore Member, but after meeting with them for coffee/lunch, I learned what their spouses did and began a referral relationship with them, where I both received and sent referrals to them.