What to SAY to GET Referrals: The Green Card = WHO + HOW -Clients

Referral Trigger for the week of March 27
Topic: The Green Card = Who + How
Conversation lead by the Peachtree Corners Team (100% responses achieved)

Business agent consulting client on the phone A Green Card has two parts: Who + How.
How is a behavior we can see.
Work product is one of the behaviors we can see.
Describe what we would see about the work
of a prospective client of yours:

• Would their work be done early, or late?
  • Do they require perfection or are they satisfied
    with a draft?
  • Will it come with documentation, or be
    self-explanatory?

14 Responses to What to SAY to GET Referrals: The Green Card = WHO + HOW -Clients
  1. Michael O'Neill
    March 27, 2017 | 9:41 am

My clients have the goal of doing their work early, but sometimes they cannot achieve that goal because they are so busy. As a real estate attorney, I take some of their work and concerns off their plate so that they focus on their main goals. My clients require perfection from themselves with their important goals, but they have the experience to be flexible with their side goals.

For example, a client may desire to close on a property within two weeks of signing the contract, but the title exam shows issues that will take longer to resolve. My client typically will put their goals of purchasing a property without title defects ahead of a quick closing. I help them maximize the achievement of both goals by ordering the title exam early and communicating with them throughout the process.

Michael O’Neill
    Carol Clark Law

2. Burnell Pitcher
    March 27, 2017 | 10:52 am

My prospects are missing social events or arriving late because they had to catch up work do to computer or systems issues. They will be complaining about slowness or issues like rebooting their computer during the sday to temporarily resolving an issue. They rarely require perfect work but they do want things to just work. They will receive documentation as this will allow the next time they need support to save money as it prevents the next tech, me or another tech having to reinvent the wheel at their expense.
    Burnell Pitcher
    CMIT Solutions of Atlanta Northeast

3. Dru Ferris
    March 27, 2017 | 2:40 pm

My client owns his (or her) business or manages a good sized staff of personnel. He’s focused with his time usage, and expects the same whether he’s buying or selling a home. His work is exacting, and he knows what he needs, and is pretty sure he knows what he wants. Punctuality and a business-like way of conducting his affairs are his trademark.
    Dru Ferris
    Keller Williams Realty Peachtree Rd.

4. Jerry Connor
    March 28, 2017 | 12:45 am

Some of my clients come in with specific goals. Others come in just wanting to feel better and live a more fulfilling life. I am often a last resort after they have reached out to a number of sources or they are frustrated with being stuck and “things just not working”.
    The client who wants to succeed develops an understanding that their work will take time and effort. Learning new ways to address issues means breaking old habits and/or learning new ways to meet a challenge. They are calmer as they begin to understand how things got to the point the are and understanding of the work they need to do for themselves. They will often bring in a list of questions or issues. They can be seen reading specific books and practicing new found language. They become more patient and easier to speak and work with. Because new skills take practice, they are not perfectionists and accept their progress.
    My job is to encourage and empower them and, often, to see and relate to them, the progress they don’t see in themselves. Self-esteem rises and confidence grows.

Jerry Connor, Licensed Professional Counselor

5. Vance Blew
    March 28, 2017 | 6:00 pm

My clients best, will be busy, and prepared, they come with their documents all in order and ready to go. You can tell they have their desk all neat and tidy, their car is always clean, with no clutter. If you visit their home it looks like you could take pictures for Home and Garden Magazine. Always a pleasure to talk with, and very friendly.

Vance Blew
    SWBC Mortgage

6. Dr. Cara Iovino
    March 29, 2017 | 2:18 am

It’s easy to recognize my best clients at their work! They will be very trainable employees! They seem to be quick learners, but it’s because they love to learn new things and are willing to follow direction.
    When they come to me with health concerns, they get well faster because they follow my recommendations!
    They love coming to my office because we emphasize empowerment (versus dependence on the doctor’s care!) They will thank you for the 3-way intro email! -Dr.Cara Iovino, One Stop Wellness (404)474-7446

7. Karen Armstrong
    March 29, 2017 | 8:58 am

My clients work product is their house. We see them doing yardwork, decluttering or painting the house to get it ready to put on the market. Often this work is done shortly before putting it ont he market. Whether perfection is required depends on the price they hope to sell the house for. A higher price requires closer attention to detail and more work getting the home ready. Most repairs and improvements will be self explanatory but others such as a termite letter or a replaced furnace will require documentation.

8. Di Smith
    March 29, 2017 | 11:50 am

My perfect client is that person that is always asking questions. Good questions. They are always seeking advise from friends, family members or people they trust. They often look for recommendations such as where to find a new doctor or even ask for the recipe of that yummy dish you brought to the last cookout. This person is always seeking advise to make an important decision. They look for guidance and quality. I can be that experienced insurance professional that provides her with knowledge, guidance and choices before she makes an important financial insurance decision.

Di Smith, CPIA
    DM Insurance

9. Rosie Mercedes, CPA
    March 29, 2017 | 1:31 pm

My best client is a records keeper; personal and business appointments are scheduled on their phone, steps are logged by the activity tracker they wear (think Fitbit), and they always ask for receipts when you go to lunch together. They keep stats for a variety of goals and objectives. They approach their taxes the same way and keep records of their expenses. I review those records to make sure they meet one of their objectives, maximize deductions to minimize their tax impact.
    Rosie Mercedes, CPA
    CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP

10. Scott Spivey
    March 29, 2017 | 6:17 pm

My clients are many times small business owners, so you can count on them to get the job done early. While they are always on target when it comes to their business, they are often late or cancel completely when it comes to social events/activities. Most of their energy is devoted to their business which they demand perfection, so that leaves little socializing time. When it comes to documentation with their finances, many business owners don’t know where to start – so that’s where I come in.

Scott Spivey
    Edward Jones

11. Katie Walton
    March 29, 2017 | 9:07 pm

My best client is the business owner or department manager who is always in front of a computer. They use an electronic calendar to stay organized is in the habit of working from anywhere (office, secondary location, or car). They are not interested in the details because they do not have time to evaluate thoroughly. However, they want reassurance that the recommendation made to them is the best and it works.

Katie Walton
    Kalibri Technologies

12. Mark Stuckey
    March 30, 2017 | 9:44 am

A lot of my clients come to me with half completed work product. Either they have a form Last Will and Testament or Trust they printed online or they used a prepaid legal service like Legal Zoom for a one-size fits all Will.

This work product may suffice for some people, but my clients need perfection – they want to make sure their wishes are carried out when they pass away. That’s why my clients trust me to get their estate plan in order, they have seen the complexities of attempting to do self-estate planning and realize the value that I bring. My clients like the work I produce to be done in a timely manner, but speed is not as important as accuracy. That’s why I take extra steps to confirm spellings of names and places – so I don’t have any typographical errors. My wills are simple in the sense that they are not written in legalese. However, I take great care in making sure my clients understand what their Will provides, and I make sure that they are comfortable with their Will before we execute.

Mark Stuckey
    Hughes & Associates, P.C.

13. Gene Summers
    March 30, 2017 | 4:29 pm

For the Security Guard side of my business, a behavior of a potential client of mine might be filling out a police report or insurance claim after an incident at their workplace. Recent burglaries (or assaults) may prompt companies who have always felt safe, to rethink their security requirements.

On the Personal Protection side of my business, a potential client may seem distracted/unable to focus on their work as a personal crisis starts to impact their work.

Their “normal” work may start to become late as they deal with the distractions of an unwanted situation.

When it comes to protecting a person or business, perfection is the only acceptable standard.

14. Melanie Strickland
    March 31, 2017 | 11:00 am

My clients are busy working moms and dads. Between the kids, work, and home, they don’t have time to spend thirty minutes or more on the phone with their bank’s customer service line just to get the run around. They know they can call me directly with what they need and they can trust me to take care of it. In dealing with their money and in some cases their credit scores (loans), accuracy/perfection is a must.