What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Endorsement Letters – New Business

Referral Trigger for the week of May 15
Topic: Endorsement Letters
Conversation lead by the Virginia Highlands

Businessman walking in hallway Endorsement letters create new business.

• What steps do you take to make your letter
    profitable for the Member you’re endorsing?
  • Share your system for making sure the endorsement
    letters you write turn into new We Did Business slips.
  • Highlight a technique that hasn’t been mentioned
    by someone before you.

19 Responses to What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Endorsement Letters – New Business
  1. David Jennings
    May 15, 2017 | 12:02 pm

My endorsement letter draw a bright line to the PAR addressed by the vendor. PAR stands for Problem, Action, Result…and I make sure the vendor looks like a hero in the way they added value to our organization.

David Jennings, ORPA Consulting

2. Merci Treaster
    May 16, 2017 | 1:29 pm

An endorsement letter should have information on the character of the individual, how they have helped you or someone you referred them to, and what sets them apart from others. Telling a true story in the letter is eye catching. I believe a letter should be no more than a page so that someone will actually take time to read it.

3. Scott Levine
    May 16, 2017 | 3:30 pm

An endorsement letter should be specific and to the point. Telling a story helps readers visualize the situation and empathize with the writer.

I feel that there are lot’s of negative reviews, so if someone actually takes the initiative to write something positive that people will notice.

4. Melanie Selcho
    May 16, 2017 | 3:37 pm

When I’m choosing to do business with someone and an endorsement sways my decision, it’s because it specifically mentions something the person did or said that showed their capacity in their profession. When I’m giving an endorsement, I like to answer the question “What did this professional do that I wasn’t expecting?” to show how top-notch they are rather than using empty superlatives.

5. Rodney Shaffer
    May 16, 2017 | 3:38 pm

My goal is to tell a compelling story about the benefit delivered by the subject of the endorsement letter to the person I referred to them. I focus on how the referral was helped – how it made their life, finances, etc. better by receiving the service provided.

6. Jason Wade
    May 16, 2017 | 3:49 pm

When I write an endorsement letter I try to paint a picture where the reader could see themself in the picture. To hopefully share the feeling the person that received the service might have felt.

Buy including that emotion the reader may understand what it would feel like to be a client of the person in the letter.

7. Ann Grier
    May 16, 2017 | 5:17 pm

The best endorsement letters provide the reader with a description of the quality of the work provided, the reliability and timeliness of the professional, that the services were reasonably priced, and/or that they were well worth the fee. Mentioning specifics is helpful too – adds credibility.

I also am swayed by a comment on the person’s professionalism (honesty, boundary-setting, willingness to accept mistakes, etc.), as well as their positive attitude and accessibility.

8. Chip Ivie
    May 16, 2017 | 5:49 pm

Endorsement letters let all parties know product and/or service was outstanding. What a powerful way to publicly profess thanks for a job well done.

9. Brandon Welch
    May 16, 2017 | 11:15 pm

My goal with an endorsement is to tell a story that shows, rather than tells, why someone is great at their job and offers great customer service.

10. Jason Williams
    May 17, 2017 | 5:01 am

To me the most important thing in an endorsement letter is that it states that they are endorsing the person they’re writing about. Otherwise it’s just a thank you note. Following PAR guidelines is a great way to stay on track and be concise.

11. Kriston Sellier
    May 17, 2017 | 7:36 am

Be descriptive. Wendy once shared an endorsement letter that said “I could see the lines in the carpet from the vacuum cleaner.” I immediately envisioned how lovely that looks when you enter a room that has been just cleaned. That visual has stayed with me for four years.

So, every endorsement letter I explain my personal situation – the problem, solution and result.

12. Mariell Coker
    May 17, 2017 | 1:26 pm

A good endorsement letter should express how well a job was preformed. Painting a picture makes a client feel comfortable and confident about doing business.

13. Jennifer Krohn
    May 18, 2017 | 6:50 am

I like endorsement letters that are written with the “best client” in mind. I want readers to know they are a good match and picture themselves being helped by the endorsement letter recipient.

14. Dr. Taushlea Green
    May 18, 2017 | 12:12 pm

I think the best endorsement letters include the emotion of the client, why were they in need of this referral, and how did the person fix the problem better then anyone else could have. I also make sure I express how happy the client was with the service and what the client gained from the service.

15. Gale Taylo
    May 18, 2017 | 1:26 pm

To make my endorsement letter profitable for a Member in my group I would be sure the Member’s contact information as well as my information are visible.

The system I use when writing an endorsement letter is first describe my issue(s), secondly, in detail tell how the Member solved my issue(s) and thirdly how it made me feel to know that my issue(s) was taken care of by someone I knew.

Finally, I would highlight the time it took the Member to solve my issue(s),their qualifications and experiences. My last sentence in the endorsement letter would be an action step such as “Please give this Member a call today!”

16. Rebecca Brizi
    May 18, 2017 | 3:43 pm

I like to give a description of not just the problem solved and service provided, but also the experience of working with the endorsee. Knowing what to expect, as well as a clear path to adoption, lowers the barriers for new people to come forward and buy from or hire the person in question.

17. Eric
    May 18, 2017 | 9:21 pm

What steps do you take to make your letter profitable for the Member you’re endorsing?

– By recalling the items that stood out to the client experience that prompted them to point out the exemplary work done by the endorsee

Share your system for making sure the endorsement letters you write turn into new We Did Business slips.

– By stating the type of work and the results, when others search online for that company, there is a higher chance of your letter showing up in Google

18. Arthur Thomas
    May 19, 2017 | 10:56 am

What steps do you take to make your letter
    profitable for the Member you’re endorsing? By highlighting the “extra mile” and endorsement letter shows that the not only is the Member Professional that cares about the client experience.
    •Share your system for making sure the endorsement
    letters you write turn into new We Did Business slips. My expectation is that because I’ve shared an endorsement letter I’ll be able to find others that will need the services of the endorsed member.
    •Highlight a technique that hasn’t been mentioned
    by someone before you. I will use the endorsement letter in a 3 way email will referring a member.

19. Zach Bolstad
    May 19, 2017 | 5:41 pm

A great endorsement letter should contain a problem, and an above and beyond solution. Try to tie in your experience to what your Member’s potential customer might want to experience. Add in how it made you feel, and keep it short and sweet to make sure it isn’t glossed over.