Referral Trigger for the week of October 2
Topic: Element: Introduction | Topic: GateOpeners
Conversation led by: Cumberland Team (100% responses achieved)

The PowerPerk template is designed to make it easy
for us to introduce you to a GateOpener.

• In six questions you go deep about one client,
    and the potential GateOpener learns if there is a values match.
  • There is one five-minute question where you share the case study
    of your best client. In the time we have today, tell us which client
    story you’d share, and why that particular experience will make
    a GateOpener want to refer to you.

21 Responses to What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Element: Introduction | Topic: GateOpeners – All about one
  1. Severin Garrett
    September 29, 2017 | 9:35 am

It is during this season (August through November) that I work with many Moms who are concerned about their picky eaters. Let me tell you about a recent client named Jenny. She is a homeschool mom who is very concerned about the daily diet of her children. She has a child name Peter (4 years of age) and she refers to him as “Picky Peter” due to his love for all foods that are brown or beige. She also has a daughter who will eat fruit and a few veggies. Jenny cannot get Peter to eat anything green or colorful. I asked her questions about her goals. She explained that she wanted her children to learn to eat more fruits and vegetables since she knows it is important to their brain development and overall health. She believes she has “strong willed” children and she does not want to fight the food battle every day. I began inquiring about specific veggies…Will Peter eat green beans? She said, “no”. What about snow peas? She said “no.” I asked about raw veggies like broccoli with some dip like humus or ranch. She said “no.” I then asked if she had ever tried giving him edamame. It has a nice crunch that kids enjoy. She said “no, I haven’t tried this one.” How about cucumbers, you can cut them into fun slices or shapes and put into their water. She said “maybe from time to time.” So then we moved on to the fruits. Will Peter eat an apple? She said, “sometimes, but not very often.” How about oranges? She said “he does not really care for the taste.” I went on to explore more fruits, she explained that maybe a banana if he can have peanut butter too. Bottomline – Peter was eating less than 2 fruits a week.

I helped Jenny create a reward system for her children. It is a chart that goes on the refrigerator and tracks their daily food choices, water and exercise. I suggested that she create rewards for each fruit or veggie the child tries during the week. At the end of the week she decided that a trip to the dollar store could be earned if they tried 4 new fruits or veggies. I also suggested that she take her children to the local farmers market and let them meet the farmers and pick out their fruits and veggies. This is a great homeschool activity. Finally, I suggested that when Daddy comes home from work, each child gets to share with Daddy what new fruit or veggie he/she tried. Daddy should celebrate with high fives and other fun activities to reinforce the new behavior! She was all in!

Three weeks later, Jenny called me in tears. She shared that Peter and her daughter were both learning to eat more fruits and veggies. They were asking to go to the local farmers market more often. They love their trips to the dollar store each week too! She is learning that a reward system is working in her home! She also has noticed that her kids are asking for fruits and veggies as snacks more often! She has so much peace of mind knowing that her family is getting more nutrition into their daily diets! She is a Mom on a Mission, she plans to teach other homeschool moms about her learning process with strong willed children and food. Finally, Jenny is planning to start a family aeroponic growing system on their back patio. She loves that there is no dirt or weeding but she can easily grow veggies with the children and teach them more about seeds, sunlight etc in their homeschool activities. I explained to Jenny that we know that the children who grow their own veggies will eat more veggies! She is very excited and relieved!

Do you know a homeschool mom who needs help with a pick eat and a strong willed child?

2. Angel Grant
    September 29, 2017 | 10:46 am

It is hard to find someone who lives by there phone the way I do. My Gateopeners want to know there clients will get the answers necessary when it comes to the service they have with AT&T. People generally refer to people they know and trust.

Attachments area

Greg is the General Manager for a Country Club in Tennessee. Our initial meeting consisted of him discussing the bill he had recently received from AT&T. Greg needed a simple Contract Renewal this was in 2015. Every year I have ensured that his contract was renewed prior to the bill increasing. I am working to ensure a contract renewal this go round that will solve his internet disparities. Because his property is so large his internet connection doesn’t reach the distances he needs it to. The tennis court, the store, and the restaurant are far from one another. As this is a also a Golf Course I need to make sure he has enough bandwidth to carry the entire property. For Greg, he and I have built a relationship, and he knows if he needs something I can get it done for him. I love working with him and he loves working with me.

Attachments area

3. Angel Grant
    September 29, 2017 | 11:40 am

4. David Arnold
    October 2, 2017 | 11:59 am

Bill and Susan are a young couple with 2 children and a 3rd on the way. Bill is a sales manager for a local company and has received several promotions. Susan drives a minivan and volunteers at the children’s school. Bill drives a BMW with his golf clubs in the trunk and loves college football. Bill’s father recently passed away. He owned a large home in Sandy Springs, and their estate attorney referred Bill to me to help with a market analysis. I was able to collect the data, visit the home, and provide a valuation to Bill within 3 days. This information will give them a basis for making some important decisions for the estate. The estate attorney was relieved to have their questions answered so quickly . . . because that makes their job much easier.

David Arnold
    RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
    770-312-5759

5. Rhonda Sterrett
    October 3, 2017 | 9:16 am

Sue is an owner of a graphic design agency. Sue is tired of either turning down web development work that she is uncomfortable taking or tired from not knowing how to get the web project completed on time and in budget. So she needs to get to know me.
    i360 Group specializes in working with graphic design agencies who want to add web to their repertoire. Responsive web design is a speciality. We can also educate Sue and the people she works with as to what are web fonts, and how to design a website so it works with the various search engines. I can make Sue look like a super hero to her clients who can then go to her as a one-stop shop and she gets another source of revenue.

Rhonda Sterrett
    i360 Group
    678-234-9725

6. Porschia Parker
    October 3, 2017 | 11:38 am

Andrew is Managing Partner of a hospitality management company with six hotels and 180 employees. They were tired of losing money due to the high turnover rates of their staff. The costs associated with recruiting and training new employees just to have them quit in less than three months, turned out to be thousands of dollars per employee! By bringing us in to create a workshop for their management team, we were able to help everyone get on the same page with employee engagement. Through implementation of the strategies we put in place, Andrew’s company was able to improve morale, communication, and decrease turnover costs.

A gate opener could feel confident in introducing us to one of their contacts, because we can help companies analyze their “people problems” and implement meaningful solutions.

Porschia Parker

7. Patrick Rodman
    October 3, 2017 | 5:51 pm

Sterling is a single father of three boys who lives in Roswell in a large home. He also owns a tech business and is a little more than strapped for time. Not only does Sterling want his house cleaned he also needs for the house to be organized every time we visit twice a month. Because his three boys also like to work on computers and other projects there are small tools and parts scattered all over the house.

After a walk through and a couple of emails to hammer out the details we were able to define the scope of work and put in place a system that included a label maker, several bins, and set up a pick up laundry service that coincided with our visits.

Now Sterlings problems aren’t typical, I cant think of many examples that are typical. Each clients needs are different so our solutions have to be as well.

8. Karen DeRuyter
    October 3, 2017 | 7:45 pm

Dawn is a realtor in suburban Atlanta. She fully understands the value of staging and calls me her “secret weapon”. She is an active business woman that needs to leverage her resources to get her listings sold in record time and for top dollar. Staging is THE key component of her marketing plan.

She drives an SUV and keeps many balls in the air at the same time. She knows she can trust me to deliver on my promise with a professional, well executed staging plan. She rests assured that I will bring just the right accessories and décor into her listings to make the homeowner’s furnishings really POP!

Stage Right Designs specializes in working with realtors and homeowners who want to ensure their properties appeal to the widest range of buyers. After the sale, we can help the homeowner make their new house their own. We will work side-by-side with them to ensure that they LOVE their new home. Together, we will make it their DREAM HOME!

Karen DeRuyter

Stage Right Designs LLC
    404-229-0273

9. Mark Chase
    October 3, 2017 | 7:56 pm

James is a new small business owner, who felt like he was paying too much in taxes. His prior tax preparer was using the numbers James provided, but didn’t ask any questions about the underlying books. The books were double counting revenue, hence James was over paying on his taxes. Small business owner’s books are often the last thing done after a hard days work. Using my experience as a Financial auditor allows me quickly clean up the books and make their accounting system work for their operational and tax needs. Then we help where needed, to help keep them clean, from bookkeeping, to controller, even CFO level accounting and finance.

A gate opener could feel confident in introducing us, because we not only prepare taxes, but help with the numbers used to calculate the taxes.

Mark Chase, CPA, CGMA
    Chase CPA, LLC
    678-234-9161

10. William K Crumpler
    October 3, 2017 | 10:05 pm

Six years ago I met Minnie Jenkins the Director at the Fairburn Senior Center. My mother-in-law Betty North is a member of the facility. Ms. Jenkins had a question about her life insurance and my mom referred her to me. I was able to answer all of her questions and because I advised her to keep her existing policy she quickly realized that I was a great trustworthy resource. She asked if I could make a presentation to her members in regards to life insurance. She knows that I will put the clients needs first. I now make 2 to 3 presentations annually on topics such as Medicare, Life Insurance, Long Term Care Insurance and Critical Illness. Because I concentrate solely on the client’s needs, I have in excess of 25 active clients at the center, and I can’t count the number of members I’ve helped with critical decisions.

11. Kris Baker
    October 4, 2017 | 7:49 am

Mary’s company performs background checks for other companies across the country. Their largest client hires 1,000’s of workers for the holidays and they are quickly approaching. Mary also has her regular clients who are always in need as well. Mary needs more staff. Mary likes to put her seasoned people on the largest client and hire temporary staff to help answer calls from her other clients asking about the status of a person’s background check or from upset people whose background check didn’t clear. She needs detailed people who can look and realize the person didn’t clear because of a case of mistaken identity or such.

Mary called Ultimate Staffing and we looked for people with a criminal justice background (schooling or experience) and brought them in for interviews. After going through 40, we weeded it down to 12, the number of new folks Mary needed. We had a few on the back burner in case one or two didn’t work out, which they did and we immediately had someone new ready to go. Mary got them in early to do some training before the “season” got busy and is now fully staffed for the holidays.

A gate opener would feel confident introducing us to someone who needs to ramp up during this time of year and feel confident we will remedy a situation quickly if someone or something doesn’t work out.

12. Michael Smith
    October 4, 2017 | 9:16 am

My best client’s house had an impeccably manicured lawn and met me at the door with a file folder of pictures for their first project, and their second project, and … by the time they retired and moved we had remodeled their guest bathroom, kitchen, master bathroom, and added an outdoor kitchen to their home.

My best client(s) care about the appearance of their home and want to have their project be as unique as they are. We develop a design collaboratively with clients and vendors to create a space they enjoy. And they want to call me back for their next project.

I would hope that a gate opener would want to introduce me to the person they know with a dated kitchen because they know the homeowner will be happy with the finished project.

Mike Smith
    Momentum Construction
    (404) 551-4367

13. Louis Beltrami
    October 4, 2017 | 11:11 am

Nina is a realtor who has a lot on her plate. She has four young kids who are involved in lots of activities. Her last two closings did not go smoothly. Her first closing in our office involved a young couple that was purchasing their first home. At the time of closing, the wife was stationed overseas and the husband was enrolled in a mandatory training program out of state that he could not get out of. The seller refused to extend the closing date. I immediately came up with solutions to save the closing. We asked the wife to designate someone with a Power of Attorney. The wife knew no one in Metro Atlanta, because they were in the process of moving here. However, she had a cousin in Alabama who was able to come to closing. We immediately sent a Power of Attorney to Afghanistan to be signed, notarized and returned in time. The cousin came from Alabama and handled the wife’s affairs. As for the husband, the only available option was for him to close on a Saturday morning. Since banks aren’t open and don’t fund closings on Saturdays, we had to get permission for him to sign in advance and then disburse to the seller on Monday, which was no easy feat. We handled the closing in 3 steps – one signing with the designated Power of Attorney, one with the husband on Saturday morning, and one with the seller and his agent. When the seller came Monday to sign some papers, and trade keys for a check, it all appeared seamless. Nina was so impressed that we were proactive in working out every possible issue in advance to get the deal closed given all the unusual variables. I would be a great referral for that busy realtor you know, who wants every closing to wrap up smoothly and on time regardless of what issues might arise.

14. Jon Ongtingco
    October 4, 2017 | 3:51 pm

I was referred to a Mitchel Gold and Bob Williams franchise when they had 2 stores. Over the years we have worked with them, their vendors, and the corporate office to keep their now 6 locations up to date and functional with technology that makes their jobs easier to perform. Having recently responded during the hurricanes to their needs, we have made certain their customers also stay in touch by adjusting the direction of their communications when some stores became unreachable.

Jonathan Ongtingco
    678-213-2309

15. Bryan Holloway
    October 4, 2017 | 5:36 pm

“Why does it take an act of congress to get an accurate declaration page?” That was the burning question Shelby had for me before she became one of my most frequent referrers. Shelby is a leasing agent for an Atlanta based property management company. Her company requires that all of their prospective tenants have renter’s insurance before they move in. That means that Shelby has to chase down the insurance company for every prospective tenant, ask them to send over the required proof of insurance, before she can hand over the keys. This process, which should be very straight forward, is often everything but. “It usually takes 2 days to get a response to my request, and even then, it rarely contains the correct information.” Shelby opined
    That was Shelby’s plight before she started sending clients to me. I found out the proof of coverage format her company requires, then I modified my process to accommodate her needs. As it turned out, Shelby only needed one additional line item included that was unique to her company; however she did need that line item on every single policy. That is what I provide for Shelby; responsiveness, consistency, and reliability.
    Now Shelby has added my contact information to her new tenant move-in packets. She says that the more tenants that have me as their insurance agent, the easier her life becomes. I find great pleasure in making Shelby’s life as easy as possible.
    Bryan Holloway
    bryan.holloway@libertymutual.com
    678.519.9599

16. Shardea Davis
    October 4, 2017 | 5:42 pm

I called on a client that has a mortgage and home equity line of credit only with my bank PNC. During my initial call, I shared that I was her personal banker and that my responsibilities include: making banking easy for her, helping save her time and money and working toward reaching her overall financial goals. I informed her that she was a member of the Private Client Group and that she has many concierge privileges that she was not currently exercising.

She is a 46 year old attorney with an income of over $200,000. She is married with one middle school aged son and she is the primary income earner. We scheduled an appointment for her to come in to review her mortgage and overall financial health. Because she is very busy, she was unable to come to my office, so instead I went to her. During our meeting, I helped her earn more money on her money market deposits that she previously held at a competitor bank and I helped her save money on interest by consolidating her $25,000 American Express credit card debt into a fixed rate loan allowing her to enjoy predictable payments at a lower rate and an overall lower payment. This client was very happy that I called because not only did she save money, she gained peace of mind knowing that she has someone that is looking out for her best interest at her bank.

A gate opener can be assured that I will provide excellent service to their referral and work diligently toward helping them achieve financial success.

Shardea Davis
    Relationship Manager
    PNC Bank

17. Rhonda Jones
    October 4, 2017 | 8:25 pm

Sue is a Coke executive looking to retire in 5 years. She saved well in her 401k, has stock options, and other investments. She’s looking for someone to review her portfolio and give a second opinion on the strategy she started for retirement. Her main concern is ensuring she’s doing things in a tax-efficient way, and that she will have enough money for a comfortable retirement.

She’s had several financial advisors try to sell her investment products or give tips on the ‘hottest’ stock, but what she’s looking for is a counselor and someone who will partner with her through retirement.

I specialize in working with retirees, executives, and business owners. I take the time to understand what’s important to my client and we work together to develop specific strategies to achieve their goals. We speak frequently to monitor progress to ensure we stay on track. I provide a retirement assessment to help clients understand where they are or the necessary steps needed to meet their financial goals.

Rhonda Jones
    Financial Advisor

678-425-8017

18. Dr. Frank Patterson
    October 4, 2017 | 9:20 pm

In February of 2015, I treated a young man who we’ll call Larry. Larry’s mother Leann had a friend who recommended Larry see me for his severe learning disabilities that affected his reading, writing, math, and gave him trouble in various other subjects. He also struggled with coordination issues and difficulties with shifting attention. Despite the services he received at school and hours of tutoring, Larry was in danger of repeating a grade level at school. His parents were considering home schooling so he could have extra personal attention.

After 4 days of therapy, Larry’s mother excitedly asked, “What did you do to my son?” He was suddenly more organized and thoughtful and Larry even reported that, “letters now have shapes”. His reading comprehension and other areas of academics rapidly improved which allowed him to stay in school and move on to the next grade.

I still see him once a year for a check up and to modify his home exercises. Larry continues to excel and recently found a passion for music that has allowed him to attend performing arts school.

Frank E Patterson DC, DACNB

770-485-6554

19. Joy Edwards
    October 4, 2017 | 11:00 pm

I would share the story of SP. She was referred to me by the brother of one of my other clients. When she came to me she had another attorney who told her she should just cut her losses and move on. Her divorce had been pending for 2 years. She had lost custody of her child to her abusive husband, DFCS was involved with her family, she had educational neglect charges pending against her, and she was terrified of loosing her other children to DFCS. I took her case, worked with her and got DFCS out of her family’s life, negotiated with the solicitor’s office to have the educational neglect charges dismissed, and ultimately got her back custody of her daughter. I showed the various Judges through hearings and filings that the cornucopia of complications in SP’s life were indeed orchestrated by her husband who had vowed that if she left him he would do everything he could to demolish her and her children. It took almost two years but SP and I never stopped pressing forward even when it seemed impossible.

20. Stan Faulkner
    October 5, 2017 | 5:35 am

I have two clients, Sara and Barb. They came to me when they were having a problem with another attorney. Turns out they needed follow through, thoroughness and communication. In the months that followed, I stayed on top of their estate problem. I gave them an education on the process, guidance on next steps and constant communication. We wading into the waters of litigation at one point and achieved a successful result. Now I consult both of them on an ongoing basis for their estate needs and even consult a couple of their Friends.

Stan Faulkner
    Faulkner Law.

21. Jim Duelmer
    October 5, 2017 | 9:50 am

My best client is Mark who is also a CPA. Mark is very analytical and can appreciate the logic behind the various options we give him when either he or one of his clients is looking to secure a mortgage. Whether it is a purchase or a refinance, we design mortgage plans to fit the needs of our clients but also have the structure and support in place to effectively execute the plan. Mark prepares his clients for the paperwork requirements and always does a thorough job explaining any of the sophisticated tax strategies he employs to our underwriting team. The synergies in our partnership result in a positive mortgage experience for our customer.