What to SAY to GET Referrals: Element: Behavior | Topic: Symptoms – Change

Referral Trigger for the week of September 11
Topic: Element: Behavior | Topic: Symptoms
Conversation led by Candler Park Team

What action do clients talk to us about that signals
they are going to need your services?

• When a client announces they’re moving into a new office,
    it’s a trigger for a printer – they’re going to need new business
    cards and printed collateral.
  • What will clients tell us that is a trigger for an introduction to you?

11 Responses to What to SAY to GET Referrals: Element: Behavior | Topic: Symptoms – Change
  1. Allyson McCarthy
    September 8, 2017 | 9:23 am

What are triggers or actions by potential clients for architecture and design services? It is actually the same for residential or commercial projects. Potential clients may be cleaning out or purging to make room for a space that has become too small. They may be adding new staff or are expecting children or a family member to move in.

Clients might host a party but complain about the appearance of their space, whether interior or exterior. They may desire an update, refreshing or make over especially if they’ve occupied the space many years.

While visiting, there are magazines laying around showing design ideas or themed toward architecture. Friends posting on FB about HOUZZ images can also be considering an expansion.

These examples are hints about a potential architecture or design service need and saying “Hey, I love that photo you posted, are you considering a renovation” could start a conversation leading to their professional needs.

2. Mark Thomas
    September 8, 2017 | 9:55 am

“I’ve been in a car wreck.” “The insurance company is not paying me what I deserve to fix my car and they are not giving me a rental car.” Hint. Hint. Have them call me asap.

3. Janine Walker
    September 8, 2017 | 12:57 pm

When a person is saying that they are about starting or their business is growing, this is a perfect time for them to review what their overhead expense will be and try to minimize what costs. The same goes for personal situations when there is a life changing event. Getting married, buying a home, having a child, or even having your 16 get licensed is a time to evaluate cost and how to minimize.

4. Jessica Matthews
    September 8, 2017 | 2:41 pm

Clients who mention they are:

• “rebranding”
    • “changing their logo”
    • “adding a new partner”
    • “upping their Google ad spend”
    • “unhappy with their social media guy”
    • “waiting to hear back from their web dev team…again”
    • “launching a new program”
    • “redoing their website”
    • “trying out Facebook ads”
    • “trying to get more Google reviews”
    • “getting off SquareSpace”

All these roads lead to the integrated marketing plan that centers their brand presence in (1) an anchoring website with (2) satellite advertising needs–and Classic City can help them manage, accomplish, and learn the most affordable way to implement their initiatives across the board 🙂

5. Wendy Pruitt
    September 10, 2017 | 10:22 am

My ideal clients might be thrilled to tell you they are starting their own business or wistfully comment that they’d like to some day have a list of services on a postcard … but they don’t know where to start, or don’t have the time to do it.

They’ll say things like:
    “I really wish my logo was better” or even “I don’t have business cards yet because I don’t have a logo…”

They might also say “I tell all of my clients xyz” but don’t have anything to hand out. Why not suggest a designer can help them turn that idea into a piece of collateral?

6. Stacy
    September 12, 2017 | 10:45 am

Some of the things a client might mention that is a trigger for an intro to a group fitness trainer:
    -upcoming wedding date (specifically 3-6 months out)
    -went to Dr. and was prescribed or potential need for medication for a condition(s) that can be controlled by diet and exercise
    -recent move and need a new gym
    -new to neighborhood and want to meet other active people
    -recently had a baby and looking to get back in shape

Often times any significant life relating to work, relationship, etc., is an opportunity to incorporate a new healthy exercise habit.

7. Debbie Holtzen
    September 12, 2017 | 1:10 pm

A client may tell you that they seem to run out of energy by midday and cannot seem to concentrate when important papers or meetings are looming. A close client/friend may say they just got a bad blood work up done and are concerned with their numbers and need to make some health changes.
    Both of these issues can be helped by the products that I share with people on a daily basis, including helping me and my family.

8. Howard silvermintz
    September 13, 2017 | 10:14 am

What are the triggers for your friends and clients that would indicate a need for life insurance or disability?

The least recognizable are reasons such as: covering month in and month out business overhead expenses, job promotions, business loans, buying out your business partner, or paying estate taxes.

The most recognizable reasons would be buying a home, having a baby, moving, refinancing the home, paying final expenses.

Lastly, when a person has accumulated, or will be accumulating large amounts of cash, and doesn’t want to risk it, life insurance is a great vehicle to store this cash without the risk of the stock market.

Call or email me to discuss further

9. Abigail Unger
    September 13, 2017 | 12:16 pm

Actions or events a client may be experiencing which signals they could benefit from my services.

Abigail Unger – Hairstylist and Make-Up Artist

Career Opportunity/Promotion
    Divorce
    Seeking Love
    New Start /New Move
    Milestone Birthday
    College/Family Reunion
    Fitness Goal Completed
    Empty Nested
    Public Speaking Event
    Social Media Live Video Presentations
    Recovery From Depression/Illness/Grief

PS.
    In some cultures it is considered careless not recognize when a person has “let themselves go” or no longer gives thought to their appearance.
    Often the person is signaling for a kind reminder they are valued, appreciated and worth taking care of : )) .

10. Katie Vilichay
    September 13, 2017 | 12:41 pm

Triggers for potential digital marketing clients (we primarily help attorneys, but also work with other small-medium sized businesses who may benefit from our services) would be those who drop hints, such as:

• “re-doing my website…it’s not responsive/mobile-friendly”
    • “starting my own practice” or “adding a new partner/attorney”
    • “not seeing results with my current/long-term web provider or Phone/Web Service Carrier”
    • “upping our Google ad spend” or tired of managing it
    • “unhappy with my social media guy”
    • “STILL waiting to hear back from their web developer or ‘IT guy’”
    • “re-branding or changing things up”
    • “opening another practice location or want to”
    • “thinking of trying out Facebook ads or Google ads”
    • “need help managing and responding to Google,Facebook,Yelp reviews”
    • “are still advertising in the Yellowpages or other phone books & are considering giving them up”

All of these are excellent conversation-starters and usually good indicators that they need help (or at least some honest feedback). Most of the clients First Draft Marketing works with were either over-spending with one (or several) different vendors, prior to working with our team, or were still spending a lot of annual marketing dollars with antiquated providers who were both behind in technology and in delivering results.

In many scenarios, my team has been able to help our clients consolidate vendors or services, given that we offer some of these services in our monthly SEO/Social packages. We want our clients to get the most business possible out of every dollar spent with us, and will not suggest a service or ad spend amount we don’t think they need, to see results.

11. Pam Garrett
    September 13, 2017 | 3:53 pm

If anyone says “I am missing too many calls when I am out in the field” or “I really need help with these phones because I don’t have an admin”. Those are some of the triggers that signify they may be in need of an answering service. Some business owners may consider it unnecessary ‘overhead costs’ but it is an invaluable service that is crucial to avoiding missing potential customers/business.

Also if you hear someone complaining that they called a business and the person who answered was rude or short-tempered that’s a red flag indicating that business needs to do something differently (whether it was an internal staff member or an outsourced company). We can probably save them some money and definitely be more professional and consistent.