Referral Trigger for the week of October 23
Topic: Element: Introduction | Topic: GateOpeners
Conversation lead by the Emory Team  (100% responses achieved)

When we arrange a three-way meeting with you and a GateOpener
the purpose is to transfer our credibility with you to the GateOpener,
so they will feel comfortable referring clients to you.

• Specify a GateOpener classification, then tell us what frustrates them
    about your classification, and share what you do to make sure the GateOpener
    who refers to you never experiences that frustration.
  • We’ll use your knowledge as a reason to arrange lunch.

23 Responses to What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Element: Introduction | Topic: GateOpeners – Emulsification
  1. Chris Handley
    October 20, 2017 | 9:22 am

IT professionals are natural GateOpeners for myself as a graphic design professional. We share similar frustrations in that our clients often assume we are also experts in each others field. IT professionals get frustrated with having to clean up IT problems for clients who rely on a graphic designer to help solve their IT issues. It’s not uncommon for my clients to consult with me about their email and network setup prior to launching a new, custom branded website design. I quickly refer them to an IT professional and let my clients know I focus my talents on design of their user experience and not the corporate IT experience.

2. Bill
    October 20, 2017 | 9:32 am

Mortgage professionals are natural gate openers for me as a P&C insurance agent. The frustrations arise when the insurance for the new home transaction, being the last item that their client needs to procure for the transaction to happen, is either delayed, insufficient, or their current agent is unresponsive. We specialize in responding immediately to their client and this makes the mortgage professional look like a rock star to their client, and we get a great new client relationship as well!

3. Michael Morse
    October 20, 2017 | 9:33 am

Web Designers and Social Media Marketers are natural GateOpeners for my industry. They are frustrated by what I am frustrated with in our industry which is other similar businesses either over promising and under delivering and not being transparent with results. This has given my industry a bad reputation. Because Local Search Marketing and Online Paid Ad Marketing is a newer industry business owners are still confused as to what they should be paying and what results they should expect. My job with any GateOpener is to show them how I am different by being transparent about who we are and also how we measure success with our clients. If the GateOpener knows that right away then we will have profitable connection.

4. Clay Jeffreys
    October 20, 2017 | 9:37 am

Being in the mortgage industry, real estate agents are my biggest gate opener. I feel what frustrated agents the most about mortgage loan officers (MLOs) is the constant bombardment of MLOs asking them for referrals. That is why a three way in-person meeting introduction is so crucial for me when meeting a new agent. When someone does a three way meeting like that, it tells the agent “I believe Clay Jeffreys can be so vital to your business, I took time out of my day to make this introduction happen.” It speaks volumes and helps me tremendously in making a first impression.

5. Sheila Kozak
    October 20, 2017 | 9:53 am

As a CPA, I value relationships with good bookkeepers as they are great GateOpeners for me. They are generally well versed in their clients’ financials but know their limitations when it comes to doing taxes so they will refer that out. The most common complaint about CPAs in their world is the delay or complete lack of responsiveness from their client’s CPA to either the client or the bookkeeper. So, instead of being a team working together for the client, there can be a disconnect and frustration from lack of communication. I know this and make it a priority to respond within 24 hrs to every email/text/phone call from clients or their team of advisers.

6. Chad Meisner
    October 20, 2017 | 10:00 am

CPA’s are by far my biggest gate openers. I feel that a lot of what frustrates CPA’s with Financial Advisors is their unwillingness to work with clients that don’t meet their minimum asset requirements. This attitude by other firms and advisors is driven by the fact that they don’t have the means to get compensated for doing true financial planning and are only compensated for asset management. I make it very clear with CPA’s in my network that it’s not their job to pre-qualify my clients and that I have NO minimum asset requirement. I also let them know that I put planning before product to insure the products recommended are truly a good fit for the clients overall situation. A three way introduction gives me the opportunity to reassure the CPA that I will treat their client or introduction with respect, no matter how much money they have.
    Chad Meisner – Certified Financial Planner with Ameriprise Financial

7. Nancy Lewis
    October 20, 2017 | 10:10 am

Mortgage Lenders are great Gateopeners and source of referrals for me. There frustration is often the lack of a prompt response to their client. They feel this reflects poorly on them. I make sure to respond quickly and include the Mortgage Lender in the loop so they can see the correspondence and take comfort knowing their client has been taken care of.

8. Jamie McDonald
    October 20, 2017 | 10:14 am

People who clean homes or businesses professionally are natural gate openers for the carpet cleaning industry. Once you look below the surface of their marketing, you’ll find most carpet and upholstery cleaners achieve only marginal results with stain and odor removal, and to add a nail to their coffin, they frequently harass the customer with additional upcharge items. What a headache! It’s easy to see why the cleaning industry is hesitant to refer. At CitruSolution, the long term relationship is more important than any short term financial gain. The quoted price is all that is expected, we arrive within a few minutes of the appointment… not hours, and we put tremendous effort into solving the CUSTOMER’s concerns. The goal is to always leave a customers home having performed so well that they are excited to tell their neighbors about us. The result is a foundation for a lifetime relationship and that’s why I love my profession. I like to follow up with the gate opener after completing a referral from them and have them follow up with their customer. I crave unbiased feedback. When the cleaning professional hears the enthusiasm that their customer speaks with about CitruSolution, and when they see the results for themselves the next time they are cleaning the space… mission accomplished!!!! Everyone sleeps well and breathes a little easier- literally!!

9. Hank Barnett
    October 20, 2017 | 11:15 am

As an attorney who reps folks who are injured on the job, my biggest gate openers are other attorneys, and especially personal injury attorneys.Whether injured on the job or off the job, most potential clients do not know the legal difference. So they call the PI attorney who in turn refers them to me. The biggest frustration I think for attorneys who make referrals is that they never hear back from the other workers comp attorneys as to whether they took the case. I make it a point to either call or email the referring gate opener as to what happened. I even let him or her know if I am unsuccessful in reaching the potential client.

10. Jo Kenney
    October 20, 2017 | 12:44 pm

One of my best Gate Openers would be someone in the HR department of any large corporation, who refer agents to new, incoming employees for a home purchase or transferring employees for a sale of their home. They often feel frustrated with agents that are not responsive and focused on their employees. A 3-way introduction means that the person has the trust in my skills and reputation and knows that I will perform to the highest level, adding credibility to their reputation.

11. Tom Bunch
    October 20, 2017 | 1:30 pm

As an HVAC contractor, realtors are natural gate openers for me. A common frustration for them is punctuality. To solve this, we make out 9am, our first appointment of the day, a set in stone time. For every appointment after that, we give them an “after…” time slot, and send a text message about 30 minutes in advance when the technician is on the way. We also send confirmation emails as soon as the job is scheduled to remind our customer of the agreed upon time slot and date.

12. Dr. Eldred Taylor
    October 20, 2017 | 2:03 pm

Chiropractors and any non-traditional medical health professionals are usually frustrated because medical doctors will minimize their contribution to improving a patients health. They are also frustrated by the lack of time spent with the patient.
    I respect any safe therapy that helps and does not harm a patient. I also spend more time with my patients that most other doctors.

13. Valerie Lyles
    October 20, 2017 | 2:20 pm

Beeson Lyles Interiors, Inc. majors in the contract/commercial field of interior design. A purchasing agent for a hospital, government agency or higher education is a wonderful gate opener for me. They are in charge of purchasing services and products and are brought in early on large projects. When they find out we can handle space planning, interior finishes, furniture and fabric specifications clear to the installation they typically are excited. The main reason they only have to write one purchase order to one company. This takes away the frustration of having to locate a lot of different sources and writing many purchase orders. It makes their life a lot easier and they only have to deal with one contact person for that project so communication and managing a project is much easier for them. We both win!

14. Susan Morley
    October 20, 2017 | 2:39 pm

Marriage and Family Therapists are gateopeners for me, a parenting and recovery coach. Therapists are licensed mental health clinicians and endure rigiorous, continual education in order to stay current in best practices for their clients. It is frustrating for therapists when a personal coach suggests a diagnosis or makes suggestions “outside their lane.”

I am an experienced and highly trained parenting and recovery coach. I hold certifications in both areas and attend continuing education seminars and webinars regularly. I work closely with mental health and substance abuse clinicians and so I am clear where my role ends and a licenses therapist’s begins. I “stay in my lane” which is to teach self-reinforcing skills to parents and people who want long-term recovery from substance use disorders.

Often, when a therapist’s client has parenting or recovery coaching support, they are able to focus on deeper issues with their licensed therapist which is more fulfilling for both the client AND the therapist.

15. Gerrell Sterling
    October 20, 2017 | 2:53 pm

Business consultants and coaches are great GateOpeners for the technology professionals. Business consultants can be frustrated when IT people are not responsive to the changes they recommend to help clients businesses grow. I know that if a client is working with a business coach, then every requested change, upgrade, or support issue is directly aimed at improving the business. So I make sure to offer my advice as part of the team and to implement changes quickly and with a focus on little to no business disruption due to IT.
    Once the coach or consultant sees that IT is onboard, they are able to focus on other topics and our client is the winner.

16. Matt Hirsch
    October 20, 2017 | 4:13 pm

gateopeners for me are those who come in contact with anyone who might have trouble with the law. divorce attorneys, for instance. tensions run high in domestic situations and police are often called. they might think we can’t work closely or together. but we, of course, can work together to help our shared clients.

17. Tammy Mealy
    October 20, 2017 | 5:17 pm

Non-traditional doctors (functional medicine, chiropractors, homeopathic) are great gate-openers for me because they understand the important part strength training has on health. Doctors become frustrated with fitness programs offered by others because the time commitment needed for results is much higher than their patients have or willing to give. At Next Age Fitness, I have new technology that fatigues the muscle at a degree that stimulates adaptation that brings strength training benefits and it only takes 20 minutes a week!

18. Amber Blandford
    October 20, 2017 | 5:56 pm

As a professional organizer, life coaches and therapists are good GateOpeners for me. Some coaches and therapists may feel frustrated that an organizer would not understand or hear the needs of their client, given their potential emotional vulnerability. These GateOpeners find comfort and ease in knowing that I am a Board Certified Chaplain and have experience working in hospice. By establishing organizational systems in their home, I can compassionately assist their clients with customized structure. In addition, at the beginning of each organizing session, I offer a moment of mindfulness and deep breathing that helps the client feel calm and prepared, a skill that is congruent with their work in coaching and therapy.

19. Karen Loch
    October 21, 2017 | 12:32 pm

Natural GateOpeners for me include dermatologists, make-up artists, aestheticians, or salon / spa owners because they understand the importance skin and how we look plays in our self-confidence and how we see ourselves. I am likewise a natural GateOpener for this group. I think what causes anxiety and frustration is the perception that it’s just about the sell. For me, my first goal is to be a resource for my GateOpeners, with the full knowledge that my first goal for clients is to get to know them, understand what are their needs and concerns, and educate. I want to empower others in their skin care choices. I welcome all opportunities to collaborate with others, share my knowledge and open my research reservoir so together, we can offer a comprehensive solution to clients’ long term skin conditions without prescriptions or other invasive and expensive procedures.

20. Sheldon Baker
    October 23, 2017 | 7:47 am

CPA’s and Financial Planners are natural gate openers for me as a Life & Health broker. The frustration I hear the most about insurance agents is response time, service and the lack of options for their clients when it comes to life insurance, or group health benefits. As an insurance BROKER I have access to the industries top insurance carriers to make sure the referral’s from CPA’s and Financial Advisors know that I’m searching for the best valued (maximum benefits+premium) product for their clients. My goal is to always respond within an hour of the 3 way introduction. Since I specialize in concierge service for my clients I place a big emphasis on educating clients about the purpose of each product so that they can make the best decision for themselves and their family.

21. Jennifer Yoxall
    October 25, 2017 | 8:50 am

The best gate openers for me are other attorneys. As attorneys we tend to specialize in our focused area. Clients who have good experiences with their attorneys will respect that attorney’s referral to me. Gate opener frustrations are when the attorney they refer to is nonresponsive.

22. Dawn Rush
    October 25, 2017 | 11:29 am

As a residential/commercial cleaning operation, my best gatekeepers are real estate agents, professional coaches, organizers, and home improvement contractors.

Having someone in your home or office is personal, and vulnerable.
    We are a judgment free team of professionals, who consider your space sacred. We bring attentive care to your environment, and leave it reflecting your own magnificent self, and nothing else.

Each member of my crew is incentivized for swift, impeccable workmanship, and for anticipating and suggesting solutions.

Gate keepers’ frustration with our industry is often lack of availability. I waited to join Power Core until I felt ready for expansion. With two crew leaders and two additional team members, our group is ready to keep our goal: 10 days or less!

23. David Edmonson
    October 26, 2017 | 9:13 am

The owner of the branding agency hired to help ChemSafety in Lithia Springs create a cohesive brand, will find after several weeks of work that she is reliant on an IT administrator to help launch the new website. Manufactures of food safety chemicals, like ChemSafety, do not have full time IT administrators, so they use outsourced IT firms. Since neither IT firms or branding agencies specialize in website migrations, the website launch can get very stressful for everyone involved.

I’ve migrated over 950 websites since 2008. For $500 I handle the “go live” implementation so that ChemSafety experiences no downtime, the artist experiences no delay in project completion, and the IT Provider isn’t held responsible for a risky and time consuming process.

Ask your old college roommate, who now owns a Branding Agency or an IT Firm: what is the main difference between a stressful website migration from a painless one?

*disclaimer, I know of no company named ChemSafety. The name is made up for illustration purposes.