Referral Trigger for the week of October 16
Topic: Element: Introduction | Topic: GateOpeners
Conversation lead by the Dogwood Team (100% responses achieved)

It is possible to respect someone’s business acumen
without liking them.
And just as possible to like someone
as a friend, without being able to
trust clients with them.

• A GateOpener has to respect business value,
    and like us enough to support us.
  • Count three people to the left: share either what you
    like or what you
    respect about this Team Member.
    Meanwhile, we’ll be thinking of
    GateOpeners to introduce.

15 Responses to What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Element: Introduction | Topic: GateOpeners – Like and Respect
  1. Kyle Gruskowski
    October 13, 2017 | 10:52 am

I feel that one of the most important aspects to generating revenue for your business and building credibility for your services is who is a part of your business “team”. Referring my clients to another individual on the team reflects highly on me. If I refer a client to someone and he/she does not put forth the same amount of effort, patience, and passion as I do, the client will not be as mad at that individual, but rather would be upset with me for referring them which could result in less referrals or even losing that client. I never have to worry about referring clients to Louis Agudo, who is our teams life/health insurance broker, as I know he understands the true importance of taking care of a referral from me. I am the team’s P&C insurance broker and do not focus on the life/health sector, so if one of my clients insures their home and auto with me, and that client asks about life, medicare, medicade insurance, I automatically send them over to Louis Agudo because he treats my clients as his own. By doing so, I now gain credibility with my clients resulting in more referrals from them.

2. Dr. Debbie Estime
    October 15, 2017 | 4:57 pm

It is possible to refer to someone you respect but do not like. However, that is not how I operate. I enjoy getting to know people on a level that answers any question a referral I send their way may have about their integrity and their services. Part of someone’s likeability is their ability to serve others with respect, to treat clients fairly and to demonstrate an in-depth and continued understanding in what they do. Kim Gustafson is currently our team’s mentor coordinator and her work involves many facades that helps individuals’ brain to function in a more balanced and healthy way. When it comes to individuals who are dealing with memory loss, fatigue, insomnia or lack of focus, I do not hesitate to refer them to our team’s brain core therapist. She is caring, reliable and passionate about what she does. This in turn creates more referrals overall.

3. izzy
    October 16, 2017 | 10:49 am

i always look at the part of my team member which he or she are great at and focuse on it . beeing in a groop of loonies that wake up at 5.30 am to get to interact with each nother i find it a great ability to weed the pretenders from the serius people. that by itself is making me able to apr3ciate everu one in my team and as my duty is to do mybest my best is to refer as much as possible with a real referal.i will not compare my contribution with others here in our team is the ability to give and that ability will help to recieve,

4. Louis Agudo
    October 16, 2017 | 11:39 am

It is possible to respect someone’s business acumen
    without liking them. Yes it certainly is. A few lawyers come to mind. They are tops in their respective fields and a business would be crazy not to hire them if they needed their services but in terms of likability, not so much.

Is it just as possible to like someone as a friend, without being able to trust clients with them. Absolutely, I have many friends who are nice, kind, funny, an overall good person but in a business sense are always late and scattered. It’s tough to recommend a client to this type of person.

On my team, I have no problem recommending Kyle Gruskowski, our Property and Casualty insurance broker. he has all the characteristics of a person I would recommend. He is professional, educational and caring. He always gets back to my clients and they appreciate his knowledge and expertise. He is no pressure and if it makes sense, he lets them know and if it doesn’t make sense, he does the same.

Louis Agudo
    Open Door Insurance LLC
    770-676-6141
    louis.agudo@gmail.com

5. Joe Kramer
    October 16, 2017 | 12:05 pm

I like the fact that I respect the person

6. Jim Tardif
    October 16, 2017 | 3:53 pm

Over the last 2 years of owning a startup business I’ve learned to appreciate being able to do business with those I know, like and trust”. I’ve known many people I respect as business men and women. There is a subset of those I like and trust. Without all three attributes I’m unlikely to refer a client to a person. If I do it’s because I don’t have and alternative resource and I will advise the client to be aware. I also know people who are the sweetest, most kind hearted people on earth but are not necessarily the best business people. Again, if a person doesn’t have all three characteristic he or she is unlikely to get a referral from me. Lack of trust is always a deal killer. No Referral.
    A good business person understands the “know like and trust” model. Experience helps one understand and identify those who are sincere and those we are acting the part. Buyer beware…

7. Kimberly Gustafson
    October 16, 2017 | 9:27 pm

Yes, it’s possible to respect a person’s business acumen, but not like him or her. I would not refer to this person, however, if there were someone else whom I could recommend that I both respected and liked. And, yes, it’s also possible to like someone, but not be able to refer anyone to that person. Fortunately, the Dogwood team is made up of people that I both respect and like. One of them, Bramha Ramkissoon is currently serving the team as Membership CoOrdinator. He also fills our Accountant chair. Bramha is extremely knowledgable and is generous with that knowledge. His clients respect and like him, as do I. He has proven time and again to be extremely competent and trustworthy. I do not hesitate to refer him to anyone who needs a great accountant.

8. Barbara Pisano
    October 16, 2017 | 10:19 pm

It is possible to respect someone’s business acumen
    without liking them. But if I don’t like them, I am not likely to recommend them. I prefer to recommend individuals who not only good at what they do but can interact successfully with individuals. Working with folks should be a positive experience which is more likely to be if you like the folks you are working with.

It is possible to like someone as a friend, without being able to trust them with clients. With friends you tend to accept qualities that may be deal breakers when doing busy e.g. always being late. Therefore, I would not recommend them knowing that quality might cause issues with the quality of work performed for the client.

9. Bramha Ramkissoon
    October 17, 2017 | 9:59 am

It is fairly common for us to respect someone’s business acumen without liking them. It happens all of the time as we may not particularly like the way some people conduct themselves but, we know that they are very professional and good at what they do. Sometimes, people may come across as blunt, aloof or “knows it all” which are not usually trait we like but, we know they are virtually “one of the best in business” and we should have no problems doing business with them ourselves or referring them to friends and/or associates. The strength of our team is greater than the sum of the individual parts and our goal is to help get referrals for everyone on our team and PowerCore in general.

10. Susan Fraley
    October 18, 2017 | 7:57 am

Positive, passionate, and knowledgeable are traits that I find important when I trust someone enough to refer them to my clients, and liking them is a bonus.

Many of these traits are present in the members on the Dogwood Team! I trust my clients with Mark Craig of Silverton Mortgage because Mark has all of these traits and I like him too! He is also careful and considerate of their time and understands that my clients are making one of the largest investments of their life and always makes the process successful for them.

I value all the members on my team, they are committed and dedicated. They are my “Board of Directors” and they are a great resource to my clients.

11. Mark Craig
    October 18, 2017 | 9:34 am

Is it possible to respect someone’s business acumen
    without liking them? Yes, however it does not make it easier to recommend them. It would really depend on the person needing their services and how they personally are equipped to handle the characteristics of the person I would be referring them too. Things that may not make me like an individual could be immaterial to the person I would connect them with.
    As for the first part of the referral trigger it is possible to like someone as a friend, without being able to trust clients with them. I have not come across this yet in recent years, but I have seen many instances when I worked in the corporate world of this scenario. People you always wanted to go to lunch with but feared being put on a project with.
    On my team, I have no problem recommending Louis Agudo, our Life and Health Insurance professional. He is knowledgeable, professional, and takes the time to be a resource for his clients as well as potential clients. I consider him a friend and believe that he always puts the best interests of his clients first.

12. Rick Farber
    October 18, 2017 | 1:07 pm

When referring a client to a PowerCore member, it is very important for me to have confidence and trust that my recommendations will be well received. I think referrals are the best way to get and receive good business opportunities. A bad referrel reflects badley on me and may cost me business.

13. Rob Tritt
    October 18, 2017 | 1:32 pm

As so many of my team mates have said, it is very possible to refer people to someone who is very good at what he/she does but not like that person much, if at all; however, I am not someone who would refer one to another who I don’t think highly of on a personal level.

The main reason for my hesitation is trust. If I don’t like that person, then there is a strong possibility that he/she doesn’t like me either. If that person doesn’t like me, then how can I be sure that person isn’t saying disparaging things about me to the person to whom I referred.

Furthermore, even though the person who I referred isn’t doing business with me at this moment, that doesn’t mean that he/she won’t at some point in the future. If I refer someone to someone who I don’t like and that person disparages me, then I may not get that person’s future business.

It’s important to be able to trust someone with referrals, and it is hard to do that if you just don’t like that person much.

14. Lewis Hammond
    October 18, 2017 | 9:35 pm

There are people I know are good at what they do, there are people I like, and there are people I trust. In order to get a referral from me, someone needs to be all three. That person represents me to a person I refer to. I want that person to refer them to others; if they won’t, they aren’t happy with my referral and my reputation as someone to go to when you need advice is damaged.

Someone on my team who exhibits all three traits is Susan Fraley who holds our real estate seat. I know if I recommend her to a client that client will recommend her to his clients and my reputation will be safe.

15. Chris Perez
    October 19, 2017 | 2:21 pm

Over the years I have found that you can like someone on the team and trust as a person but not refer them because they may not be a good fit for my clients. I also have found that sometimes there may be someone I don’t really care for personally that is at the top of their classification and I would want my clients to have that type of representation for their needs.

In the ideal world we would all like everyone and trust them as well but we are all different and trying to find the right Marriage for the client and referral is the challenge we usually face.

Someone I trust and would refer to on our team that I know I can trust with sensitive and confidential information is Mark Craig. I know he will do his best to give my clients their best options and opinion even if that is not necessarily the news they wanted to hear. He is honest, down to earth and trustworthy. My measuring stick for if I would refer an individual is would I trust that person with my mother or fathers affairs. If the answer to that is yes then they pass my test. Mark is that kind of individual and I would always recommend anyone I know looking to refinance a home or purchase a home to talk to Mark Craig first as they will be well taken of.

Chris Perez