Referral Trigger for the week of October 9
Topic: Element: Introduction | Topic: GateOpeners
Conversation lead by the Decatur Team (100% responses achieved)

Start by identifying a classification you are a GateOpener for
– where you do not need more referral resources.

• Tell us the important reason why the people you refer to
    now are the ones you send clients to.
  • Now flip it:
    what GateOpener for yourself would you like
    an introduction to?
  • What will be important to them if they are to consider
    sending their clients to you?

27 Responses to What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Element: Introduction | Topic: GateOpeners – When it’s you
  1. John Bennett
    October 6, 2017 | 9:19 am

I am a good gate opener for estate attorneys that prepare wills, trusts, and probate estates. I have two great estate attorneys that listen and explain to their clients the process and what needs to be done. The estate attorneys always have their clients prepared when they leave.
    I would like introductions to real estate agents. The bottom line is to get to the closing table, but the closing can be a mess if everyone isn’t prepared. My office starts work on a file immediately and begins fixing any title issues weeks before closing. We don’t wait until the file is scheduled to close. We may lose some time and money if the closing doesn’t happen and we worked on it, but the time it saves on the files that do close is well worth it. We are always prepared for the closing.

2. Keely Herrick
    October 9, 2017 | 5:51 am

I am a good gate opener for graphic and logo designers. Once my clients have worked with me to select and protect a new product or business name, they will often ask for guidance regarding design and branding for their new name.

I would like introductions to in house counsel who need assistance with managing their trademark portfolios. These attorneys are often corporate attorneys who find themselves responsible for intellectual property matters as part of a larger bucket of work, and I can give them peace of mind as I handle these matters quickly and confidently. My firm is certified as a woman-owned business and combines large firm experience and training with a small firm’s attentiveness and care.

3. Jon Ongtingco
    October 9, 2017 | 9:54 am

I am a gate opener for Internet and Telephone services providers. I send clients to Angel Grant because I know that AT&T is a premier provider and can service more places than other carriers.

I am looking for introductions to office managers. They are great gate openers for me because I can help their new clients test cabling and replace if necessary in the new space and setup their network afterward.

4. Dianne Lucht
    October 9, 2017 | 10:49 pm

I am a good gate opener for a chiropractor because my clients are seeking natural ways to regain and maintain health. When a client uses my natural products to reduce pain and help their body heal itself, it is easy to refer to a chiropractor to continue this natural process.

I would like an introduction to a massage therapist. Their clients are looking for natural ways to continue the benefits of the massage until their next massage. The natural wellness products I offer enhance the benefits of the massage, enabling the massage effects to last longer, making us both look good.
    Dianne Lucht, BSN,RN
    Natural Health & Wellness Strategist
    404-218-6913
    Dianne@LiveWellLiveLife.com

5. John Kozak
    October 10, 2017 | 12:10 pm

I am a good gate opener for payroll companies. As a CPA diving into the finances and the structure of our business clients, I often see this need. We do not do payroll as a firm as this can be more efficiently done by an outside payroll service. Between all the options and companies out there, I seldom need any new resources in this area.

On the flip side, a good gate opener for me that most people do not think about is a bookkeeper. We really tend not to overlap and we can be an excellent resource for a bookkeeper with a really messy client.

John Kozak, CPA

6. Wendy Watkins
    October 11, 2017 | 1:59 pm

I am a good gate opener for Graphic Designers. As a professional coach, many people engage me to help them move to what is next for their existing business or to begin a new business. Either way,graphic design is important. I have a variety of designers in my stable and share two or three names for my client to choose the best one for them.

A good gate opener for me is therapists. They have the ability to help their clients uncover what is getting in the way of their success so they can step into building their ideal business and life with a coach.

7. Susan Powell
    October 11, 2017 | 2:15 pm

I am currently a great gate opener for a Homeopath! I have met a really good one recently and have been so excited to be able to refer my clients to her.

I do specialized bodywork techniques to help my clients get out of pain and Homeopathy is a great adjunct to that therapy. I am happy to send my clients to this particular practitioner (Susan Kramer earthways.com) because she is smart, intuitive, and her remedies are effective!

I think homeopathy is such a great fit for my business that I have decided to study it myself, mentor under Susan Kramer and begin to offer it over the coming years.

A great gate opener for me is the Open Minded Orthopedic Physician or Gastroenterologist or OB/GYN. These are all MDs who come into contact with patients that have pain or conditions that can be supported by the work that I do. Often an Orthopedic doctor doesn’t have the best options to help a patient in pain – surgical interventions or drugs top their lists, and those aren’t appropriate or wanted by all patients.

It’s a great boon for them to have a holistic manual therapist that they can refer patients to before they resort to more invasive therapies.

8. Lauren Cassady
    October 11, 2017 | 3:07 pm

I make a great gate opener for carpet cleaners. Often, pets make a mess in a family’s home. I send my clients to Jamie McDonald with CitruSolutions because I know he will do an excellent job at getting carpets really clean. But, more importantly, he also goes above and beyond to be gentle and sensitive with families as they are going through a sad time.

The best gate opener for me is a practice manager or a veterinarian at a busy veterinary hospital north of the 285 perimeter.

9. Jill Pullen
    October 11, 2017 | 3:14 pm

I am a GateOpener for graphic designers. The designers I work with most love the art of design but don’t have an interest in developing brand and target audience personas – they want that already done. They enjoy having me in place to develop the creative brief and set them on the right track. They get work finished faster with fewer revisions when I’m in the mix.

Web developers are good GateOpeners for me. True developers want to write tight code and optimize response for a website or web app. They aren’t interested in revising pages over and over again because the client thinks of something new every time they review it. I wireframe every page first, so the client gets the chance to think of things – especially things that affect workflow – before the first line of code is written. That lets the developer provide a more accurate cost estimate and drastically reduces the revisions.

Jill Pullen
    Excelovation
    404-618-3903

10. Michael Sussman
    October 11, 2017 | 3:15 pm

I am a good gate opener for a handyman. I constantly am getting calls for people with damage to their house that doesn’t necessarily warrant them filing a claim but they need to get it fixed. Being able to refer a trustworthy handyman makes me look like a rockstar.

A gateopener that I would like to meet would be a relocation specialist or someone in the relocation department of a big company that is moving a lot of people to Atlanta. This typically requires our ideal client to be forced to find a new agent.

11. Joann Taylor
    October 11, 2017 | 3:23 pm

I am a good gate opener for a consultant like myself who strictly deals in serving customers in high rise condos with large and long motorized shades. We motorize but mostly in a residential setting so when the job falls outside of my wheelhouse, I like to pass them along to someone who is well qualified to handle this volume.
    Sending my clients to someone who is qualified, trustworthy, pro-active with returning phone calls and sending emails. I like to be kept in the loop although I have no skin in the game.
    I would love an introduction to a busy builder who employs an in house designer. She looks after the client’s choices of counter tops, wall color, fixtures and flooring but I would like for her to think of me when her wonderful client needs those gorgeous new windows in the new house covered properly.
    Why send your clients to me——you can bet they are hand held and guided through the complicated process of decisions, with money well spent on beautiful window designs for their home.
    Joann Taylor
    TAYLOR DESIGN CONSULTANTS, INC.
    404-964-7209
    joann@taydesign.net

12. Dan DeWoskin
    October 11, 2017 | 3:23 pm

I am a good gate opener for insurance brokers. I often see clients who have been injured, which is almost always too late to see to it that they were adequately covered and properly prepared for such an event. However, it is common for these clients to see the quality of insurance and representation they have only at that time. Thus, I am in a position to help them and their family find the right knowledgeable individual who can educate them about the best coverage for them in the future.

As for gate openers for me, mechanics and body shops often have folks come to them after a serious auto collision. Strangely enough, many people will address transportation issues before seeing to their own physical well-being. This is customarily a crucial period of time very close to the time of the collision. It is a time when I can be of most assistance to them, advising them of their options and trying to help them find the best course to recover physically and financially for their bodily injuries.

13. Jason Conn
    October 11, 2017 | 4:19 pm

I am a gate opener for insurance agents. I have always been very pleased with the service provided by Michael Sussman and Michael Monroe with Haven Insurance. Clients don’t often know what they are covered until they file a claim. I’ve never had a referred client experience surprises when claims arise. I love introductions to Financial Advisors at large corporations. These companies often offer mortgage products but mortgage lending may not be their strong suit. These advisors appreciate the service provided, but most important…they appreciate not having their asset portfolio at risk if the client cannot obtain financing (if they refer in-house and things don’t go well, it could result in the entire relationship being lost).

14. Tanya Osensky
    October 11, 2017 | 4:39 pm

I am a gate opener for other lawyers. I focus on contracts and other types of business transactions, and I don’t handle litigation. When a business is faced with a lawsuit, I will refer that matter to a litigator. My business clients often need a will or help with an employment or real estate matter, and I would refer them to lawyers who specialize in those areas.

Attorneys are good gate openers for me. They often know in-house counsel who need legal support on contracts or business owners who do not have in-house lawyers but who need help with routine day-to-day legal issues for their business.

15. Troy Logan
    October 11, 2017 | 9:09 pm

I am a good gate opener for professionals in the health fields. My clients come to me to learn effective and practical self defense techniques and applications. Due to the physicality of my training many of my clients need additional restorative therapies often found through chiropractors, massage therapists, MDs,etc.

Real Estate office managers are good gate openers for me. The real estate industry is one of those inherently dangerous industries. Because of the at risk nature of the occupation real estate agents receive great value in the services I provide.

Troy Logan Strike First Fitness Inc.

16. Earl Skates
    October 11, 2017 | 9:29 pm

I’m a gate opener for plumbers, handyman, HVAC, and Electriction’s.

I refer my clients to Dale, Duncan, and others because I know they will take great care of my clients and the job will be done correctly the first time. These guys know their industries very well and give outstanding customer service. Most of all I know they won’t price gouge.

I would love to be introduced to custom home builders, property managers, new home and business owners.

17. Duncan Cottrell
    October 12, 2017 | 5:59 am

I’m a gateopener for a roofer. When a roof leak is the cause of the drywall damage I’m asked to repair, I connect the homeowner to Anthony Bjulcher with SRC Roofing, because he is competent and reliable.
    I would like to meet house cleaners who can refer homeowners to me for the repairs they notice while cleaning. They know I clean up after myself.

18. Corey Adams
    October 12, 2017 | 10:35 am

I’m a gateopener for handymen and contractors. I conduct home inspections all the time, and my focus is on pest exclusion. I love to refer Duncan Cottrell the entry enforcer because I know the work will be done right.
    I would like to be introduced to real estate agents and property investors. They will always need termite and rodent inspections not to mention other pest services!

19. Melissa Black MD
    October 12, 2017 | 12:08 pm

I am a good gate opener for social workers and counsellors. Many people can benefit from guidance by a trained psychotherapist who can help people re-frame their thinking to achieve a better state of mind and body since the brain is our most powerful organ! Nurses of any kind are great gate openers for me because they recognize the value of a detail oriented physician who takes their time with patients, a rarity in a rushed and fragmented healthcare system.

20. Tamara Chastain
    October 12, 2017 | 2:35 pm

I am a good gate opener for printing companies. Often clients just don’t want to spend the time coordinating the printing of signage, business cards, etc, or either they feel inadequate to handle files and terminology that is foreign to them.

I refer to people based on my own personal experiences with them, referral from trusted peers and from how the person conducts their dealings in PowerCore.

I would like introductions to web designers and developers who do not offer comprehensive branding as part of their business. We could be great mutual gate-openers for each other.

21. Scott Thompson
    October 12, 2017 | 2:44 pm

I’m a good gate-opener for Property and Casualty agents. It’s important that they not only have an understanding of their offerings but actually willing to sit and explain to folks the different kinds of protection they have in their toolbag. Our PandC guy Michael Sussman is great at this.

22. Laura Brookshire
    October 12, 2017 | 3:07 pm

I am a great gate opener for small contractors and re-modelers. They can help my clients get their homes ready for selling or help my buyers with improvement project they want to complete after they purchase a home. Given the massive volume of project those type of resources have at this time I would like an introduction to more of those types of resources so I can provide my clients with several names to find the best fit for each type of need. For example some small contractor or handy service folks don’t do concrete work and some do – I can use both types.

23. Brooks Mackintosh
    October 13, 2017 | 9:16 am

I’m a great gate opener for real estate agents, because I often work with clients who need to sell a property on behalf of an estate. The agents I work with know their market and make things easy for the client.
    Financial advisors are gate openers for me. They will find that their clients appreciate my transparent fee structure, as well as my well-organized and comprehensive approach to developing the right estate plan for them.

24. Dale Johnson
    October 13, 2017 | 9:34 am

Yes I have some associates that I wouldn’t recommend to other people. Sometimes it’s just I know it wouldn’t be a good fit. If the client is a micro-manager then someone with a laid back style probably wouldn’t be a good fit. Knowing both persons well I think is the key to good referrals. Powercore is a key component to making referrals because you get to know the people you are going to refer intimately and you know when it’s a good referral because you know what their ideal client looks like.

25. Dr. Josh Buck
    October 13, 2017 | 2:18 pm

I am a great gate opener for massage and physical therapists. While adjusting the spine it is essential that the patients work to relax restrictive soft tissue and retrain deficient movement patterns.
    In kind, PT and LMTs are great gate openers for Chiropractors, as we focus on correcting spinal structure to restore movement and nerve function. In addition, orthopedics and dentists are excellent gate openers for chiropractors . For orthos, following surgery then body compensates during the recovery process. Maintaining full ROM in the joints will aid in more productive rehab/therapy sessions and allow the brain and body to communicate more fully to speed cognitive response to therapies.
    Dentists also focus on preventive / maintenance care for the teeth and like chiropractic care is most affective when addressed for proactive purposes as opposed to emergency treatment.
    It is most important that gate openers understand that chiropractic is not “quick fix” or “pain management” care. We are very affective at relieving pain symptoms, however, symptoms can and will return unless lifestyle and structural changes are made – addressing nerve function and movement patterns.

26. Samuel Lysinger
    October 13, 2017 | 2:21 pm

I am a gate opener for a web developer. I have several web developers I can refer to and given the variety of personalities and styles of product, I find it easiest to refer to two or three of them at a time as no web developer is the perfect fit for all clients. I would like referrals to Payroll Processors. They are great GateOpeners for me as they service small businesses of all sizes. It is important for them to know that I prefer phone communication over email or texting as it is FAR MORE EFFICIENT when resolving problems, answering questions, or scheduling appointments.

27. Kelly Reese
    October 13, 2017 | 3:37 pm

I am a good gate opener for estate planning attorneys. Almost every divorce client I represent will need a new will after the divorce is final. I now have a great network of estate planning attorneys who prepare estate documents and litigate probate matters.

I would like more introductions to therapists, especially those who handle marriage therapy or indivdual therapy for clients who are struggling in their marriage. It is never too soon to be equipped with information if the marriage does not last. Paying for a consultation with a family law attorney doesn’t mean you are giving up on the marriage, it means you are being smart and getting all the information needed to guide your family through a difficult time. A connection through a three way email would be great!