Referral Trigger for the week of November 27
Topic: Element: Introduction | Topic: INTROMinutes
Conversation lead by the Midtown Team (100% responses achieved)

The topic is introductions – both introMinutes from a
Team Member about a Team Member, and for referrals,
from a Team Member to a client.

• Pick one thing that is important for you
    when you receive an introduction, and explain why.
  • What we’re building is a list of characteristics
    we’ll develop to earn referrals.
  • Don’t repeat a characteristic – share something
    that hasn’t been addressed yet.

16 Responses to What to SAY to GET Referrals: Element: Introduction | Topic: INTROMinutes – Boundaries
  1. Greg Jordan
    November 24, 2017 | 9:57 am

I really enjoy all my introductions. My teammates always use characteristics such as reliable, thorough, and honest to describe me during the the introductions. Maybe one item that potential referrals should know is that I had an extensive back ground in the wireless industry before I bought my current business. Thus I have run larger organizations and mulit-million dollar projects so I am very capable of servicing their needs (even if the project is large or complex).

2. Ed Torrence
    November 27, 2017 | 11:56 am

I find that introductions can be a nice complement to my 7-minute. During my info-minutes and 7-minutes, it is easy for me to demonstrate my technical knowledge of flooring. So, during my introductions, I particularly value comments about my character and my ability to help my clients relax and enjoy shopping for their new floors.

3. George Shingler
    November 27, 2017 | 12:24 pm

It is widely recognized that clients do not hire law firms; they hire individual attorneys with whom they feel comfortable in placing their trust and confidence. Knowledge is a given. It is the introduction that conveys the idea that I can be relied on to represent the client’s interests and guide him to the best possible result that matters most to me when someone is introducing me to a prospective client.

4. Amy Koenig
    November 27, 2017 | 4:24 pm

I find that good introductions can ease a tough situation. This includes the nerves leading up to a 7-minute presentation, as well as a tense setting during a potential client meeting. A good introduction can help everyone involved feel more relaxed because they start to see that CPA as a person and not simply a number cruncher. This common ground allows everyone to understand the other just a little bit better and creates a good referral environment.

5. Stephen Dufour, II
    November 27, 2017 | 4:52 pm

I think when you meet for coffee to prepare for the introduction allows you to get to know someone a lot better personally. Often times the things you share in common, such as a sports team, the type of music you like, or other social activities can allow the introducer to make the introduction relatable to their audience. The more relatable you are the more business you should get. After all, people do business with people they like.

6. Shaun St. Hill
    November 28, 2017 | 9:42 am

It’s always nice when people say good things about you. If I were going to narrow it down to one word, I would have to say “service”. In today’s economy where price and product are relatively equal, the things that separate competitors often come down to the intangibles. I am willing to out-serve my competition in order to deliver the best results possible for my clients.

7. Jonathan Minsk
    November 28, 2017 | 10:30 am

If I had to choose one characteristic, it would be trust. Dealing with people’s money, housing, and likely the biggest purchase of their lives, is not something I take lightly. I want every customer to have a great experience, and look back on the process, and know I had their back the entire time.

8. Andreas Wilder
    November 28, 2017 | 10:44 am

Talking about numbers can be boring…especially at 7:25 on a Friday morning. IntroMinutes, for me, are a way to get people more excited to hear me speak about my topic and convey a sense of PASSION. All of us are in business to make money but those that are passionate about their business truly shine. If you can convey passion in an IntroMinute, it feeds all the important areas clients are looking for (competency, character, and a sense of culture) and makes you the “go-to” person for introductions. Its a win-win.

9. Colin Barron
    November 28, 2017 | 11:34 am

I think that including personal information, not related to my business, is extremely important. It makes others more comfortable with you as a person, and thus more comfortable with you as a competent practitioner in your field.

10. Adee Weismark
    November 28, 2017 | 8:12 pm

Credibility is the word that comes to mind when I think of an introduction to a client. Often the largest purchase one makes is their home. When I am introduced to someone, I want my introducer to speak about my credibility. I enjoy giving the Introminute for those with whom I have done business or my clients or friends have done business. I can then speak not only about what she/he likes doing or her/his upcoming vacation. I can speak about her/his credibility in her/his field of work. After all, one can be a great person. It is her/his credibility that will want us to give her/him referrals.

11. Babette Lombardo-Book
    November 29, 2017 | 1:26 pm

I think by adding something about ones personal life is always key to helping coneect with people in the room. You never know when you might have a sub or visitor that shares the kind of interest.

12. Alaina Barrera
    November 29, 2017 | 6:26 pm

When receiving an introduction I always appreciate the conveyance of my passion for both the home inspection and building industry. I enjoy the InfoMinutes that elaborate on my aspirations in my business and my excitement surrounding for the building industry in general. When thinking up an InfoMinute for someone on my team, I highlight what it is that stirs their soul, both in business and leisure.

13. James Macaulay
    November 30, 2017 | 6:12 pm

Introductions are very important. One of the most important characteristics that I feel is important in my business is having very good people skills. I like to get to know my customers outside of just the business side of things. Having trust in someone is extremely important and I believe that you can’t achieve that without getting to know someone on a personal level.

14. Bruce Mack
    November 30, 2017 | 9:25 pm

As someone that helps families find care for their senior family members, be it in home care, at a personal care home or in an assisted living community the most important thing that can be said in an introduction to a client is that I will help them to find a safe solution for caring for their family member. I am here to help.

15. Melissa Darrow
    December 1, 2017 | 12:50 am

I always appreciate a god recommendation from anther client to a perspective new client. Letting someone know a little about our my firm and the longevity of the business is often helpful in opening doors for me. I like to do the same when I recommend someone.

16. Lori Harris
    December 1, 2017 | 10:32 am

When I get an introduction to a new client it helps when I hear the story of how the team member recognised the referral opportunity. I recently had a referral from a past member who said the referee had placed flyers on cars as a marketing effort.

The story of how the referral was generated helps me with my initial conversation.