Referral Trigger for the week of November 20
Topic: Element: Introduction | Topic: INTROMinutes
Conversation lead by the Marietta Square Team (100% responses achieved)

What is the best behind-the-scenes sleuthing you’ve
done to prepare an introduction for a 7-Minute Presentation?
Do you have standard questions or do you think up
new questions for each person?Do you have a go-to tool—a movie line,
or something in common—that makes your preparation fun?How do you bring your best to an introMinute?

22 Responses to What to SAY to GET Referrals: Element: Introduction | Topic: INTROMinutes – Expansion
  1. Chris Duncan
    November 17, 2017 | 2:20 pm

Many times I will try to learn something new about the person. Whether it is from meeting with them, researching their Facebook, LinkedIn, or their website, I always try to encompass something interesting from their person and professional life.

2. John Trybalski
    November 17, 2017 | 5:12 pm

I try to find out what makes them have passion for what they do. I find that people who really enjoy what they do..do it the best. I try to inject some humor into the introduction minute to warm up the room for the 7 minute speaker.

3. Keith Early
    November 19, 2017 | 11:36 am

I agreed to introduce a team member at the last minute. I didn’t have the time to meet for coffee, so I made a phone call. When I called he was not home, but his wife was. So, I asked his wife. She gave me information about when they met, his hobbies and some vacations that they spent together. When I gave the introduction, the team member was very surprised with the stories that I had.

I usually start with a general conversation and ask about family, hobbies, and how they chose the profession that they are in. Then I drill down on the more interesting questions.

My favorite introduction was when one of my team members was expecting a baby and she asked me to announce this to the team in her 7-minute introduction.

4. Ben Clark
    November 20, 2017 | 10:05 am

I use the into-minute preparation to learn more about the person. I have learned about how they do business in their own info-minutes but this is a chance to learn about them individually. Family, school, hobbies, etc. I ask them to share something most people don’t know about them. Another one, is to what college were you accepted but did not attend? Whatever I can do to pull out fun/interesting facts that help us appreciate the team member as an individual.

5. Jim McKinney
    November 20, 2017 | 10:20 am

I like to have a sit down coffee or lunch to find out more about the person especially their passions and what motivates them. I find it very interesting and helpful to hear how they chose their Business and what lead them into this field and what makes them stand out. its also fun and interesting to find out something quirky about them such as: their favorite activity, favorite place to travel something we dint know about that person already.

6. Philip Ladin
    November 20, 2017 | 10:42 am

I usually check out the persons footprint on the internet. I look up their name, their business name and the website associated with their account on powercore.net

I do not have canned questions, as I try to ask a person specific questions based on them and their business.

I don not have standard questions (or as above canned questions), but I do like to find out about them personally. I believe it is the personal touch that makes them a better fit for perspective clients

7. Scott Tufford
    November 20, 2017 | 10:52 am

I will always schedule a one on meeting no matter how long I have known the individual. Things change in their lives and I can often learn something new about the person that I didn’t know before.

While I am looking for new information that is interesting, my objective is to communicate their expertise and value.

8. Lynn Nelson
    November 20, 2017 | 11:21 am

I prepare for an introduction by sitting down with the speaker to get some new information on them. I often use Wendy’s list of questions.
    Since many of us have known each other for years, I want to find something new or put a new twist on old information.
    We want to know about a person’s family, hobbies and how they got into their line of work. I often look at their website to see how the rest of the world views them.

9. Jon LaMonte
    November 20, 2017 | 11:34 am

I like to ask questions that are a little different to find out about a persons background. I try to find out what types of hobbies they have because it is often an indicator to a person’s real personality. When you are on a well established team with longtime members, it’s nice to find out something different than what we already know. For me, knowing what people are like when they are not working helps to create even more credibility.

10. Keith Early
    November 20, 2017 | 2:16 pm

11. Nichole Johnson
    November 20, 2017 | 8:15 pm

Being new to this team I have not gotten to do this yet. I am looking forward to getting to know my team members and finding out more about them. To prepare for an introduction I would probably try to schedule time to get together for a coffee. I would ask them about themselves, their business, their hobbies and just allow them to talk. I am sure I will learn more about how it is done by listening to the introductions others give.

12. Coach Willis
    November 20, 2017 | 9:36 pm

I like to sit down and meet in person if possible. I think one of the best ways to put together and intro are to ask questions about what that person enjoys doing outside of their profession.

I also like to ask background questions about where someone is from and how they grew up because this also reveals alot about the person.

Since most members have been in the group for a while, I try to find out something new to put in to the intro.

13. Judy Crawford
    November 20, 2017 | 10:30 pm

I like new information about a person so I try to find out about the kind of person they are. Do they do crosswords, sing in the shower, what was their favorite car…though I have a dry sense of humor, I try to insert humor where I can.

14. Jon Ongtingco
    November 21, 2017 | 9:19 am

I start with a theme that I want to use for the introduction and then I craft 3-5 questions based on that theme. I try to spend additional time with the person I am introducing through coffee or lunch because hidden gems can be found through conversation about the questions.

15. Dr. Branden Evans
    November 21, 2017 | 11:46 am

I like to meet one on one if possible. I can usually gather enough information about their business and what they enjoy outside of work during that time. I will also email a few questions that are more geared towards getting information that nobody knows that is fun to share. “favorite food as a child, best concert ever attended, what movie can you fully quote, etc…”

16. John Hyatt
    November 21, 2017 | 2:42 pm

Sometimes it’s in the hidden things about a person that end up being real gems of insight into who they are and what they are about. I like to ask intriguing questions such as “what moment in your life was your most challenging and how did you push through it” or “what lesson about yourself, your business or your customers has had the most impact on you personally”. The answers to these kind of questions, combined with a fun to know tidbit about the person creates a powerful intro that highlights the essence of one’s character.

17. Raymond Jackson
    November 21, 2017 | 8:03 pm

I prefer to meet for coffee. And when that is not feasible because life happens. I will either ask questions over the phone or via email. My questions generally come from different “questions to ask when introducing someone” websites. And the questions that I choose depends upon the PowerCore theme for the term. Or questions that relate to the current time or season of the year. I am always looking to learn something new to tell the audience.

18. Martrez Carter
    November 21, 2017 | 10:02 pm

The best behind the scenes sleuthing I have done to prepare for an introduction was to browse their website. I usually try to think of new questions for each person, creating a different intro. I try to stick to something funny to help engage the audience more with smiles. 🙂

19. Nick Barzegar
    November 22, 2017 | 8:22 am

The best thing I have seen work very well for me is sometimes I change it up by asking them questions like I’m interviewing them and their business/personal resume. I get amazing answers and ones I would not get during a regular coffee meet we have time to time.

20. Cheryl Richardson
    November 22, 2017 | 11:39 am

I prefer to meet for coffee or lunch or whatever to get to know the person I’m introducing. I don’t usually prepare questions because as we talk and I get to know a person, questions will naturally come to mind.

However, if I’m introducing someone who has been in Powercore for a long time or some who can’t meet me for coffee, I usually do some research on the person. I will Goggle them to see if they have any articles written about them for achievements in their industry, or for activities unrelated to Powercore. It’s nice, when introducing someone who we’ve known for a long time, to hear about them from a prospective other than the business life.

I always keep in mind how good introductions make me feel and I want to pass that feeling on to the person I’m introducing.

21. Lisa Marie Papp
    November 22, 2017 | 1:51 pm

When I prepare for an introduction for a 7-minute presentation I take information that I have gathered during our 1 on 1 meetings or when I have performed a service for them.
    I like to get to know the member as an individual as this will lead to understanding to “Why” they are in their business. The way they conduct their business derives from within the person. These are great talking points when cultivating referrals for them.
    My other discovery methods involves the internet & other members. Other members will give a positive & different perspective which are good points for references.
    In final, I find getting to know the member as an individual, their “Why” & other individual perspectives lead into a good introduction.

22. Paul Shimek
    November 22, 2017 | 7:06 pm

I prepare introductions with nearly the same intensity as with preparing for a deposition or hearing. I want to learn as much as possible about the presenter, and I start by scouring the internet for information. I’ll read through their website, social media sites, reviews, endorsements, and listen to podcast recordings. I look for interesting and humorous facts that I can weave into a theme. I’m always interested in where they’re from, where they’ve been, and how they got to where they are today, but I go beyond that. I look for accomplishments, awards, interests, hobbies, etc. In addition, I schedule a lunch with them. My goal is to present them in the best light…like I do for my clients.