What to DO to GET Referrals: Element: Action | Topic: Credibility – Eye Contact

Referral Trigger for the week of December 11
Topic: Element: Action | Topic: Credibility
Conversation lead by the North Fayetteville Team (100% responses achieved)

Walk us through your communication path with a new client
– from initial introduction to conclusion.
Of course there are variations – choose one that is typical.

• How do you know when this prospective
    client is paying attention?
  • What habit of yours insures that you
    put your full attention on them?

(Do not repeat a previous answer.)

Please click here to share your perspective.

12 Responses to What to DO to GET Referrals: Element: Action | Topic: Credibility – Eye Contact
  1. Yvette D. Best
    December 11, 2017 | 5:17 pm

When interacting with a new client, I like them to feel that they are in control by giving them my full and complete attention. Being present in the conversation, not just waiting to jump into the discussion with a response. Actively listening to their concerns and underlying issues that play a part in the accounting process such as why they are filing tax returns late or cannot make quarterly payments on-time. I provide direct eye contact and positive body language to engage the client and show that I am focused on their needs.

Also, I will contact the client through their optimal communication path whether by text, phone or email. This further shows that I paid attention to their needs, documented their request, and want to build upon the initial relationship. Lastly, when business is concluded, I ask for feedback on their experience via survey to improve my overall customer service model. Being present and paying attention is the most valuable assets I use to keep my clients coming back. I listen to my clients and hear what they are saying and feeling.

2. Ebonique L. Barber
    December 11, 2017 | 7:06 pm

A typical path when communicating with a new client starts with a phone call or in-person consultation.

During this time is when the information gathering process takes place. We listen to gather information regarding our new client’s current delivery process, challenges with their current process, and information about their required delivery frequency and content of deliveries.

Normally we can tell if a prospective client is paying attention based on their responses.

A habit that I have, whether verbally or in person, to insure that my client has my full attention, is to repeat the information provided to me to include any specific details that our new client made specific reference to. This habit of repetition ensures to my client that not only will we provide them with the best solution, but the best solution specific to their individual needs.

We conclude with performing their pick-up and delivery needs as agreed upon in which they receive via email, automatic confirmation of their delivery request, tracking information, automatic confirmation of completion, and a follow up email inquiring about their experience.

3. Sean Collins
    December 11, 2017 | 10:22 pm

My initial contact with a customer begins with a phone call. The call serves a couple of purposes……to establish contact, to let the customer know he/she is important and to establish creditability by listening and identifying their concerns. When the first visit occurs; the customer feels like their talking to a familiar person oppose to stranger or salesman.
    A habit and routine is to repeat their concerns that was previously mentioned.
    After providing an estimate, I ask does this estimate meet their intent per our initial discussion.
    Finally, I follow up with a phone call 48 hours after the estimate is provided.

4. Diane Morris
    December 12, 2017 | 8:36 am

The majority of my clients come from networking events. We have a casual conversation and if time allows we talk about each other’s business. I usually ask that person to tell me about their business so I can listen to how my business would be a possible match to what they are talking about. Eye contact is the first priority in any conversation. if there is a possible need for what I do, I will ask them if they would like to further their conversation over coffee… More eye contact, and trust building. My business offers so many advantages to grow their client base and fits in well with their schedule which is so important their busy world.During coffee, I have a short assessment that will help them see if they want to move forward. During the process, I have ongoing communication with my client,via handouts, bonuses, Q&A.
    Once they complete the program, I send an evaluation to help me know how I can approve my program and a certificate of completion. The certificate can be used to give to an HR dept. add to a resume and is tax deductible. They love how they look, builds their confidence, and saves money and time for a lifetime when it comes to their wardrobe.

5. Denise McCray-Jones
    December 12, 2017 | 10:12 am

My communication path is asking my client questions that only they can answer. I listen more than I talk. Their personal information is my business in discovering their need for services we provide.

Engaging in a meaningful conversation for me is knowing:
    What I want them to Think
    What I want them to Feel
    What I want them to do
    One way to accomplish this is to paint pictures of what if! I then Re-create specific details from experience to help advance my purpose (Need.

Engaging with Questions they ask and I ask is one way I know they are paying attention.
    When I repeat what they say in my answer to them, this let my clients know I was paying attention to their concerns.
    I eliminate distractions by writing down personal details as they are given.

6. Ernest Adcock
    December 12, 2017 | 11:31 am

My Communication Path is usually done thru One on One Consultation. I first introduce myself and find some common ground with the Customer. Once this is established I find out what the Customer’s wants, but more importantly what their needs are. This is done by doing a walk thru of the home and asking open ended questions. Then sitting down with the Client showing examples of systems and system functions. This ensures that I have the full attention of the my client by keeping them involved and engaged. No only do I keep notes of the the discussion but I also back it up with an emailed quote if I can’t close the Sale.

Ernest

7. Dr. Gillian Kucharski
    December 12, 2017 | 11:43 am

My initial communication with a patient is regarding their previous experience, if any, with chiropractic. Patient education is one the most important aspects in a new patient visit. Chiropractors are doctors that use noninvasive techniques to assess and treat the nervous and musculoskeletal systems. Back pain is not a prerequisite for chiropractic care!
    I try very hard to get to know my patients not just in terms of their physical complaints but also in terms of what activities they would like to be able to do. Getting people back to what they love is what makes my job fulfilling.
    And not all communication is verbal! The car a patient drives, the way they walk, how they sit, how they stand, what they carry in their pockets, how they dress…all of these things are important to that patient. These things show me what that patient values or prioritizes and give me an insight into that patient’s life, without ever having to ask the questions. This allows me to explain their care to them in a way that shows the most value to them.

8. Tamahn Jamison
    December 12, 2017 | 12:25 pm

When I am scheduled to meet with a prospective client during a 1-on-1 assessment, I research them as much as possible prior to our meeting. My goal is to show them that I am meticulous about their success – enough so, that I maximize our time together by not laboring on topics that are public knowledge. During our meeting, I strive to find out more about THEM than their business. This may include family, hobbies, hometown, etc. My clients understand that we are building a relationship that will last for years to come.

Most people love to talk about themselves so I know they are paying attention by the amount of interaction that they have with me. We are off to a great start once they begin talking to me more about their personal lives than their business needs. As they talk, I take copious notes that I refer back to during future communications. They soon realize that I am an effective listener which puts them at ease. At this point they are very receptive with regards to discussing what my training will do for them in their business (and personal) life.

9. Joey S. Martin
    December 12, 2017 | 1:45 pm

Most of my new clients come to me via email alert from a referral program. The notification includes the prospective client’s name, phone number, email address and city and state. Between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM, I call the prospective client within 2 minutes of receiving the referral if I am available to talk on the telephone. If I am not available, I make the call as soon as I become available. Immediately after the phone call, I send the prospective client an email thanking them for their time and summarizing the next step. If the referral notification comes in after 8:00 PM but before 8:00 AM, I send an introductory email to the prospective client letting them know that I will be in touch the following day.

Upon getting the new perspective client on the phone, I briefly introduce myself and asked them to explain how I can help them. As long as the client is speaking and providing relevant information about their financial situation, I know they are engaged. I focus of paying attention so that I can understand their needs and tailor my response accordingly. I keep my response brief. If the desired service is within my scope, I invite the prospective client to schedule an appointment for a face to face and in preparation for our meeting to provide me with the documents I will need to gain a clear understanding of their current financial position and financial goals.

At the initial meet, I always shake hands, introduce myself and hold the client’s eye contact. Before we start the meeting, I silent my cell phone and ask the receptionist to send all incoming phone calls to voicemail. I explain to the client that I will take notes during the meeting and ask if they mind if I also record the meeting. I proceed by reviewing any prior conversations and confirming the client desires. I ask the client to acknowledge my inquiries which tends to encourage them to pay attention and keep them engaged. I then review the finding from my analysis of the documents the client provided in preparation of our meeting and offer my recommendations.

Usually, the client either accepts my recommendations and agree to move on to the next step or they indicate that they would like to consider my recommendation. If they accept my recommendations, I explain that I will need time to complete the necessary paperwork for their signature and schedule a follow-on closing appointment. If the client indicated that they want to consider my recommendations, I ask if there was anything in my recommendations that was unclear that contributed to their decision to go back and consider my recommendations.

Following the meeting, I follow up routinely to provide updates on the processing of their signed document or get feedback about their decision.

10. Dr. Jacqueline Harris
    December 12, 2017 | 2:04 pm

As I think of my typical communication path when I first meet a potential patient, I start with total and absolute attention directed toward that individual. I generally meet most patients through various community events such as health fairs and expos. The first part of the conversation starts with a brief Q & A session. Although people can relate to the fact that I am a primary care physician, most people are not familiar with the direct primary care model that I practice under. Hence the Q & A with a prospective patient serves multiple purposes:
    1. It forces me and the other individual to pay close attention to one another and to actively engage in the conversation.
    2. It allows me to find out exactly what their needs are & the knowledge level of this potential patient.
    3. It provides reassurance to that individual that I am genuinely interested in them and what best serves their healthcare needs.

The way that I ensure I am paying full attention to them is through my body language. I generally step a little closer to the individual (without invading their personal space), especially if we are in a crowd of folks. I also tend to “share the moment” with a subtle tap or pat on the shoulder. In addition, I am notorious for keeping my eyes focused only on that specific individual. Since I love educating people about the manner in which I practice medicine and the benefit it provides them, focusing on them and their needs, seems effortless.

11. Steve Hamlin
    December 12, 2017 | 5:17 pm

My typical pathway communicating with potential clients is sitting down at a kitchen table and getting to know them and their family. Finding out what their concerns are and finding a product that best suits them and their budget. We discuss a variety of options available to them. Life insurance is for a lifetime so making sure they are comfortable with their plan choice is important so they feel that a good decision has been made. After the policy has been issued we set a time to review the policy and answer any questions they may have. I also take the time to make sure we have at least 5 family or friends be aware of the policy and where it is located and to be able to notify me should something happen to ensure that the policies funds are made available as soon as possible.

12. Venis Sims
    December 12, 2017 | 9:48 pm

Upon introduction to a potential client I spend most of the initial conversation learning about the prospect. I follow the F.R.O.G system. I ask about their FAMILY. Next I inquire about what they do for RECREATION. Then we talk about their OCCUPATION. Finally I learn about them by asking about their GOALS. Following this system insures that I am totally engaged with the prospect and they are left feeling like I really care about them. They feel like they are more than just a pay day. Using this system also make for great follow up content.
    It is obvious that they are paying attention because I intentionally make it “ALL ABOUT THEM”.