What to DO to GET Referrals: Element: Action | Topic: Credibility -Respect

Referral Trigger for the week of December 4
Topic: Element: Action | Topic: Credibility
Conversation lead by the Milton Team  (100% responses achieved)

Think of an action you have added to your behavior mix, on purpose, to create credibility. (No repeats! Choose an action that hasn’t already been given – unless you have a different reason and result.)

• Why did you decide to change this behavior?
  • What result do you get from this extra effort?
  • To whom does this action show respect?
18 Responses to What to DO to GET Referrals: Element: Action | Topic: Credibility -Respect
  1. Bruce Mack
    December 1, 2017 | 10:27 pm

As I help families find Assisted Living, Memory Care and In-Home Care, often at a time of crisis such as after a fall or the doctor saying that mom cannot live alone any longer. A necessary change in my behavior was to listen and listen and listen – allowing the family member to get all their concerns out. Then they can be open to hear about options for solutions. This lets the family member know that I understand what they are going through and with this understanding I can help them find the right solutions for mom.

2. Bruce Troville
    December 2, 2017 | 2:50 am

Listening and understanding is the to key finding the right solution for any client. As a business leader, having been raised by other business leaders, I feel that the strength of my word, and the bond I build with any client is more than a transaction, its personal.

I (we) take our business to a level of deep personal ownership when evaluating the needs of our clients. We want our clients to know that each recommendation is one that our we would make for our own family, and not based on the commission that drives the sale. We provide resources to anyone that needs help or assistance to reduce excessive costs in long term health care, without the expectation of a sale. By doing we are a clients advocate. We earn trust, credibility, and long term client relationships with those people who become our clients.

This mindset, in our view shows respect for the personal integrity for which we strive to project in the community when people hear our name, and thing of our reputation. This translates into respect for everyone we interact with.

We need a little more Mayberry today, where a genuine handshake and smile restores confidence in the sales process and resets the pushy sales guy mentality.

Thanks for letting us share –

Bruce Troville
    Troville Insurance Group

3. Diane Campbell
    December 2, 2017 | 7:47 am

What is our next step? That is the question I learned to ask at the end of a conversation with a new client. I changed my own behavior of not asking this question because it totally leaves everyone hanging. I want the client to tell me what our next step is. Depending on what the answer is will clue us both in on what to do next and how close they are to a yes or if the answer is no, I’m not wasting their time or mine. This also puts the responsibility for “what’s next” in the clients hands and to say it out loud sort of commits us both to future action.

Diane

4. Tom Burgess
    December 3, 2017 | 8:02 am

I have requested my service guys not use the word “need” when recommending service. If you tell a customer they “Need” something done and they choose not to do it, it may make the customer feel ‘wrong’ or ‘bad’ for not doing it. And I don’t want our customers to feel that way. We recommend services when they will benefit the customer, if they choose not to do it that’s OK. It is their money to spend as they best see fit to meet their needs. They may be in a pinch financially right now and can’t afford it. And that’s OK. I don’t ever want a customer to feel pressured or bad.

5. Tyler Jones
    December 3, 2017 | 4:24 pm

For our Managed Services clients (they pay us a per employee / per month fee to cover EVERYTHING related to IT) we meet with them twice a year to show them everything we have done, and to ensure we know where their business is headed and what their objectives are. It not only shows what we have already done (we blocked X viruses, we applied Y patches, we prevented Z crashes) but it also shows we are listening and know where they are headed. That latter parts let us make sure their IT is ready before they get there, rather than trying to play catch-up later on.

Tyler Jones
    Carmichael Consulting Solutions, LLC

6. Kelly Waits
    December 4, 2017 | 7:47 am

As an outside sales rep, I don’t handle the typical day to day questions that a current payroll client might have. So I’ve started reaching out to clients within the first 2-3 months of them running their first payroll just to make sure that they are getting the high quality of service I promised them & see if they have any questions. It also reassures the client that even though I’m not their main point of contact, I’m still here and available to them if they need me.

Kelly Waits
    Corporate Payroll Services

7. Andrew Vest
    December 4, 2017 | 8:54 am

I talk very fast normally. Sometimes I talk so fast that my brain moves faster than my mouth and I would lose patience with myself.

Having spent numerous hours listening and talking to my clients, I learned that not only is patience a virtue, but it absolutely necessary when educating my clients on what they have versus their needs. People have different speeds that they learn and I needed slow it down and add patience with myself to every conversation I had to make sure my clients and prospects were getting the attention that they needed to understand the intricacies of insurance and that it would take the extra time to explain the finer points of what they had and if it matched with what they need to protect their families.

I feel that it not only brings me closer to my clients; but also give them a sense of security and helps earn their respect.

Andrew Vest
    Vest Insurance Group

8. Russ Porter
    December 4, 2017 | 11:53 am

It’s important to be available when your customer or potential customer is available. A behavior change that I’ve had to adopt is to manage my schedule around customer availability. That can range from early morning to late evening and weekends on occasion. If my customer is working, then it’s important for me to be able to meet with them when they have time. As a local business owner as well as an Alpharetta resident, I think it also builds credibility when I offer to meet a customer at their convenience since I just live a few minutes away. Secondly, I always offer some type of advertising, marketing, promotional or business operation recommendation before I conclude a meeting. Whether they buy from me or not is not the most important thing. The most important thing to me is making a quality business contact.

9. Persephone Galambos
    December 4, 2017 | 2:22 pm

Over the past year or two, I have decided to make a concerted effort that my clients will not just know me as their Realtor but as someone they can ask to assist them in a variety of ways.I have assisted clients with packing, with the actual move, with unpacking, with running errands that needed running, etc (you get the idea). I decided to make this extra effort because I constantly see the stress that real estate transactions can place on families. I have always said that I work very hard to make real estate transactions as smooth as possible. I want to ensure that my actions are where my words are.

The results of this action have been that most of my clients are now lifelong friends. My clients become more relaxed as I assist them with other parts of the buying and selling process and offer calming conversation about how we will together make sure everything gets done as it should. In addition, they love to refer me to their friends and family. As we all know, referral business is the most fun business and it is a true honor to me that my clients trust me enough to refer me to others.

These actions show respect to my clients because they know that I understand what they are going through and I truly care about them and their family. It also shows respect to the people that trusted me enough to refer me to others. Even if I can only devote a little time to each client it can make a big difference for them.

10. Amy Terry
    December 4, 2017 | 2:55 pm

Understanding my customer’s needs is what I enjoy. When working with a new Customer one change has been to take notes as we are discussing what they want and need with their banking relationship. I explain that I will be taking notes so that I can ensure we select the right products and services. This also helps when it is time to select the product with the client by using their words. Example “I use my debit card at least 4 times a week for purchases.” “Mr. Smith with the Rewards checking there is a requirement of using the debit card 10 times in one month to earn additional interest. You mentioned that you use your card about 4 times a week. This is perfect as it will meet this requirement.”
    The notes are also very helpful for follow up calls with the client when discussing future needs. When following up with the customer at 2 weeks then we verify checks were received, debit card has been activated and online banking has been set up. This is a great time if the customer has additional questions.
    We then follow up at around the 2 month time frame. The customer appreciates the follow up and the fact that the bank is thinking of their needs. We can then remind the customer of their future needs which were mentioned at the time of opening the account. This shows respect for the client as we listened and remembered their needs.

11. Nicole Rubin
    December 4, 2017 | 4:37 pm

As a counselor, I work together with my clients to help them make changes in their lives. Credibility is often times in the little details- like remembering the names of their friends and loved ones, and remembering the exciting things that are happening in their lives for us to celebrate together.
    In the same way that a marriage is held together by the small acts of kindness that we do for one-another; the biggest impact I can make in increasing my credibility with my clients is to pay attention to the details!

12. Erin Carper
    December 4, 2017 | 9:28 pm

Emphasize the client’s accomplishments. Though I invest money and write financial plans, this is still about people, and their lives. I want them to know all the steps/actions they take matter, even if the market is not going our way. I point out to them their positives and strengths and, I see and acknowledge that as much as any investment progress. They effect their own lives and they are not ‘slaves’ to the daily markets. Don’t fear it. Support and encourage them to make the difference. That empowers people.

13. Andy Leonard
    December 5, 2017 | 8:31 am

What ACTION have I added to add credibility? This is not really something I have had to add but something I discuss and leverage, and it is my desire to have things in order and fully planned out. (Slightly OCD control freak, you might say)

I am not afraid to talk about the fact that, yes, I used to iron my cash (tips) when I worked at a golf course. I mean… who is going to carry around bills that are anything short of clean and crisp? I might have even used spray starch once or twice for added crispness and rigidity (really). I really do have to sit in the same seat at my PowerCore table each week, or I feel a little anxious …just a little anxious 🙂 I remember in 2nd grade, I had some folks over to spend the night and on our dot matrix printer I had typed out the agenda in 30 minute increments: watch Wheel of Fortune, play basketball, etc. I don’t have to walk out of the house 6 times until it feels right, but yes, the labels in the pantry do need to all be facing forward, books in my home library are ordered alphabetically by author (which does pose a dilemma because then the height and colors of the books starts to vary), magazines are ordered by category, title, and date, and the list goes on (and on) (and on)….

Since my company does accounting and business planning, I feel those attributes are something I don’t have to “add”, but attributes I can talk about and advertise as I definitely leverage them to do good work for our clients.

Not only do I want things in order for our clients, my brain does not let me not have things in order!

(Yes, I have talked to Nicole Rubin a few times who has helped me too!)

I always like to see how people’s natural attributes play into their occupation and how those attributes really make them naturally good at their jobs. Our Milton PowerCore team is full of people who have found themselves and found their right seat on the bus where doing a great job for their clients comes naturally!!!!!

14. Tina-Marie Spellman
    December 5, 2017 | 12:59 pm

As a legal shield associate, I always try to give my prospective clients individualized attention. That many times means assisting them with their online application. Many people don’t like the online process, so I sit with them and prepare a paper application. I do whatever it takes to make my client happy. In addition, I listen to why they need legal protection and give them the tools they need to accomplish their goals.

15. Eric Sapoznik
    December 5, 2017 | 3:33 pm

Since I am still new in this industry I am constantly updating and changing the way that I work with my clients based on prior feedback and what I learn works best. The two items that I have added into my behavior mix that I have seen a lot of benefit from is to stay in constant communication with my clients, even if I don’t have anything to actually update them on, and also to let everyone that I meet and speak with know that I have a great network around me where I can refer people in any industry even if it isn’t related to my industry. These are two things that I have found to really help benefit my business and to also make me be the first thought for my clients and potential future clients when they are in need of someone.

Staying in constant communication with every client or potential client is very important. When you stay in touch with them you are top of mind when they need something or when they are ready to move forward. Since I work with businesses, I used to believe that if I didn’t have an update for my client that I shouldn’t waste their time by calling them to check in, but I was wrong for thinking that. Even when I may not have an immediate update it is always best to just reach out and say hey and let them know that you are still searching or doing everything you can to help them out, but nothing new has come in yet. A lot of people think that if they don’t hear from me that I haven’t been working to try and help them, but that is not true and by reaching out to them even when I don’t have an update it lets them know that I am still working for them and just haven’t found anything new yet.

By letting all of my friends, family and colleagues know that I have a huge network of people who can help them it helps me to become top of mind when they need a referral or a connection. I am a part of a couple of Facebook groups where people are constantly posting that they need someone to help in a certain field and when I have someone to connect them with I make sure to send out that contact immediately. This helps to build my credibility by knowing so many great companies to work with, and also may help to bring me a client in the future. At the end of every transaction I send out a thank you note, a thank you gift (Thanks Diane Campbell & Gratitude Goodies), and an e-mail letting my client know that I am still here to help them at any point in the future and if they ever need a connection for someone outside of a commercial realtor that I have a lot of people I know who could help them out.

By doing these two things I have started to see my business increase drastically. It has helped to make me the first person that people turn to when they need a referral, which was my goal in the first place. I know I may not be making money or business off of it personally, but I am very happy to help others out as much as I can. I know that eventually it may lead to business, but helping others is something I strive to do every day.

Eric Sapoznik of KW Commercial, your commercial relocation specialist!

16. Aydee Short
    December 5, 2017 | 8:39 pm

By changing my daily/weekly routine, I have added a structured plan that has bring consistance to my every day actions.
    I took a break from work for personal reasons for over 9 months. This created unhealthy habits that were unproductive. I felt compelled to make a change, so
    with a vision of what I am striving for, I am making progress everyday, sticking to the routine.
    Since I intentionally made the change, I am happier, stronger and feel more empowered and confident.
    My clients have benefited from this as well, for they know when to expect communication from me (every Tuesday). I am more profitable to my company, my family is benefiting from my own change, both emotionally and financially.
    This is showing my family, employer and friends my commitment, love, appreciation and respect to them.

Aydee Short

17. Christian Gruita
    December 6, 2017 | 1:00 am

We live in what some people call “thank you economy”. We’re not afraid to give advice for free or put it out on social media for others to see. In my opinion, by doing that it’s easier to establish ourselves as experts. Also, we’re gaining trust by doing that. Also, I’m very impressed when other digital marketers are willing to work with me and not see me as the “competition”. We live in a world where we see a lot of self-promotion, but if, along with that, we also provide value to customers, they will be a lot more inclined to listen to our story. I’m seeing many businesses that do nothing else but self promotion on social media, offering nothing that’s of value to the clients, and the clients will shut those businesses off.

18. Dr. Michael Axt
    December 6, 2017 | 10:47 pm

When patients come in for the first time seeking help with a neck or back issue I have made it a point to ask them questions about other joints as well. More often than not I get a response that goes like this: “ oh I thought you just treated backs, you can help with my knee pain too?” Or, “ you can help with my shoulder also?”

Patients are always pleasantly surprised to find out that chiropractic can help with most musculoskeletal pain anywhere in the body. I feel like this sets me apart because I hear that a lot of practioners don’t take the time to check extremities. There’s many cases I’ve treated where a shoulder problem has caused a neck issue. If I were just to address the neck pain and leave the shoulder alone, the neck pain would never resolve. Addressing the entire structure is necessary for the best results.

-Michael Axt