Referral Trigger for the week of January 1
Topic: Element: Facts | Topic: InfoMinutes
Conversation lead by the North Point Team

How do you keep up in your industry?
Is there an annual convention you attend?Are you always earning the next certification,
even if we don’t see new letters on your business card?

Are you a reader?
Do you have a mentor?
Are you active in a peer group?

Tell us how you keep up with what’s new.

22 Responses to What to SAY to GET Referrals: Element: Facts | Topic: InfoMinutes – Logical Left Brain
  1. Belinda Bower
    December 29, 2017 | 11:27 am

I keep up with the banking industry by attending training sessions led by Renasant Bank’s training department, listening to podcasts & webinars,and reading. These training sessions are both instructor led and web based. There are certain training classes that are mandatory per Federal regulations that bankers have to complete on an annual basis. I also enjoy attending conferences that are put on by the Georgia Banking Association. I do receive weekly E-mails with legislative updates from the GBA. I am also an avid reader, I read the Wall Street Journal, Atlanta Business Chronicle, and Money Magazine just to name a few. I also enjoy listening to Clark Howard and the Gene Henssler Money show on the radio. My mentor is someone I have worked with at several different financial institutions over the past 25+ years. She is retired now but I still turn to her for advice from time to time. One of the best pieces of advice she gave me early on for managing people was “you don’t have to be bossy to be the boss.”

2. Nakia Sanford
    December 29, 2017 | 11:41 am

To keep up in the industry I make it a point to read different trade magazines at least twice a week.

I attend conferences on a regular basis. It keeps me focused and engaged.
    I keep all licenses current as required by law, but do extra things to keep abreast of current affairs, like recent law changes.

I am an avid reader, I do my best to get 2 or 3 books read a month.

I have been blessed with many mentors that keep me mentally on track and good friends that pour into me consistently.

I am a member of a few social groups,as well as a member of ZETA PHI BETA SORORITY INCORPORATED.

3. David Machost
    December 29, 2017 | 12:40 pm

To keep up with the current events in the Personal and Commercial Insurance industry here in Georgia, I do a multiple of activities to keep me abreast of the constant changes that occur:

• 15 hours a year of continuing education
    • Attend multiple training sessions from each
    of the carriers
    • Subscribe to numerous insurance periodicals

All this is done so I can better educate my clients on the ever changing environment and help them protect all of their personal assets.

4. Robert Slocum
    December 29, 2017 | 1:34 pm

To keep up with current remodeling trends I read read and read some more. I have subscriptions to four different trade publications and use the internet when ever I can’t find an answer to a question. I also have ongoing relationships with several specialized contractors that are always more than happy to mentor me when I need it.

5. Shaun St. Hill
    December 29, 2017 | 1:44 pm

There are typically 2-3 local industry conferences that I will add to the calendar. I also add one out of town conference (this year was San Antonio). I subscribe to a number of periodicals and newsletters that keep me abreast of what’s going on. Lastly, I talk to my clients to find out what’s going on in their world and how the phone, internet and cloud services I offer can help them better serve their customers.

6. Brad Fried
    December 29, 2017 | 1:54 pm

I have several resources at my disposal to help me stay current in both my industry and market place. First, I’m fortunate to have two other College Nannies and Sitters franchisees in Atlanta. We talk and get together on a regular basis to discuss best practices and marketing strategies that seem to be working. At the national level, I am part of a peer group that has a monthly conference call to discuss issues that can be at the corporate or local level. College Nannies also hosts two annual conferences that have educational seminars as well as networking opportunities to mingle with other franchise owners. Our CRM system also includes a library of educational material that I can easily reference. Finally, I have a coach up at corporate that I speak with twice a month.

7. Marianne Gudina
    January 2, 2018 | 1:03 pm

It is very important for me to be on the cutting edge in my industry, both as financial coach and as a tax professional. I belong to several professional organizations like NAEA and NSTP. Both of them do have either montly or quarterly continuing education and I also go to the National IRS Tax forum.
    As a financial coach we do have continuing education seminars monthly and a yearly continuing education event every summer.
    As an educator it is very important to be sure you are up to date or you are out of the game

8. David Citrin
    January 2, 2018 | 1:39 pm

As an attorney I am required to take a certain number of hours of Continuing Legal Education, but unlike many in my profession I choose my classes carefully, making certain that they will add to my expertise in areas that are directly related to my practice, look forward to the opportunities afforded to me and never cut class early to beat traffic. More often than not I will find myself picking up new information that helps me with one or more cases that are current on my docket.

9. Laz Economidis ACC
    January 2, 2018 | 3:25 pm

I am constantly keeping up with my suppliers. There are 26 cruise lines members of Cruise Lines International Association. Each one has certifications which have to be renewed each year, like continuing education for CPAs or Chiropractors. In addition to that, I am yearly certified by Sandals resorts, and I am Master agent certified from AM resorts and certified by tourist boards of places like French Polynisia (Tahiti) and Hawaii.I read a lot, and I learn a lot thru peer groups on the internet.

10. Matt Berndt
    January 2, 2018 | 4:16 pm

Technology is constantly changing (not necessarily improving) in the heating and air arena. As a result, my team and I constantly read and attend industry certification classes sponsored by the larger manufacturers. And although we may focus on replacing broken down HVAC equipment with just one or two suppliers’s equipment, we have to keep up with multiple manufacturers with equipment dating back as much as 35 years in some cases.
    While we always like to be prepared for whatever we encounter in the field, the state does mandate yearly training to maintain the hvac contractor license for our company. So, we’ll always be in the know whether we like it or not.

11. Peter Tarantino
    January 2, 2018 | 4:18 pm

In order to maintain my CPA license the licensing authority requires 40 hours a year of continuing professional education (CPE) classes. There is coursework available for a wide range of topics. Of course, with the new tax law just passed I will focus many of those required hours on gaining a deeper understanding of the loopholes available to business and individual taxpayers. In addition to the CPE I also regularly attend state society of CPA meetings. These meeting provide an opportunity to network with my peers and see what unique circumstances pop up for their clients that I might anticipate among my own client base.

12. Richard Rehme
    January 2, 2018 | 4:21 pm

The Virtual Office industry is somewhat new yet growing. With this growth comes seemingly continuous change and innovation. Keeping abreast of industry movements requires reading, discussion and help from friends.

Through my research and reading of industry trends my blog reminds me and others of the important changes in our field. Additionally I focus efforts with fellow leaders (virtual office owners and operators) to gain insights into current and potential client needs be they physical like meeting/office space or more virtual like professional business addresses or phone support and appointment scheduling.

But perhaps most importantly, I’m not afraid to ask questions and seek out advice from others to stay “in the know”.

13. Ellen Parkerson
    January 2, 2018 | 4:42 pm

Funny this question should come up as starting tomorrow, I will spend about 18 hours on a hard, cold chair discussing with peers the new tax law reforms for individuals and in Dec. I did the same for businesses. Continuing Education is required in the accounting field and mandatory to keep up licenses. In addition I have taken several specialized webinars through out the year and subscribe to a news letter out of Washington for continuing discussions on hot topics. Also I have support from two CPAs who are my mentors if I have specific questions.

14. Jay Pittroff
    January 2, 2018 | 5:03 pm

I work with my sales representative from Sherwin Williams. He has 18 years of painting experience and is always up on the new products and how to apply them. I will be participating in the CertaPro annual conference in mid-January, which will include a lot of sessions and opportunities to get caught up on recent trends, etc. I meet regularly with other CertaPro franchisees and we learn from each other.

15. Raymond Berger
    January 2, 2018 | 6:39 pm

The certification bodies for hypnotherapists hold conventions, seminars and offer a number of opportunities for continuing education. This provides me with a great way to keep up with my peers and stay up-to-date. Conventions are held annually by the major certification organizations. The two largest being held in CA and FL. These conventions are great ways for me to access live seminars and even if I cannot attend, many of them are offered in an online format. This combined with the fact that I am an avid reader and lifelong learned helps to ensure that I am always up to date. In fact, I’m pursuing another graduate degree this spring to further bolster my credentials.

16. Curtis Turner III
    January 2, 2018 | 9:03 pm

Each year the field of employee benefits requires many hours of training and testing including those by the government (CMS) and all the carriers we represent. The better part of the summer is taken up by all the required tests to sell individual health, group and Medicare products. In addition the state requires continuing education as well as ethics course. Also, the long term care market requires education updates. Some years are helped by attending health underwriter conventions and/or MDRT meetings. Finally, we subscribe to a number of industry periodicals.

17. Jim Hovey
    January 3, 2018 | 5:52 am

I keep up with my industry of chiropractic by taking 20 hours of continuing education and through a e-mail information drip supplied by my university, Life Chiropractic Univ.

18. Mark Weiss
    January 3, 2018 | 5:08 pm

I really have three industry categories to keep up with. They are the SendOutCards company, the Network Marketing Industry and the topic of relationship/appreciation marketing.

1) SendOutCards: SOC makes it easy for its distributors like myself to keep up with what’s going on in the company. They range from telephone calls, weekly or monthly meetings, regional events and our annual convention. On a weekly basis, the company has a 30-minute Eagle Challenge call on Monday nights. In addition, team leaders have weekly calls on different nights of the week that are not only for the leader’s team but also open to any SOC distributor to listen to. In Atlanta, we have Zoom meetings, group meetings and informal “coffee and cards” get togethers. We also have regional meetings in Georgia, the Carolinas, Alabama, Florida and Tennessee. Our annual international annual convention brings SOC distributors from all over the world hear presentations by the CEO and company executives and leaders, honor those that promote to higher positions and tour the SOC Production facility where the cards are printed, stuffed into envelopes, stamped and bundled for mailing.

2) I also either attend in person or view online workshops and webinars presented by Network Marketing leaders and organizations devoted to the industry. I am a member of the Association of Network Marketing Professionals (ANMP), whose purpose is to serve, the network marketing profession, and all those professionals who serve and advocate for the network marketing community.

3) SendOutCards is on a mission to educate business owners about the value and importance of relationship/appreciation marketing. Learning the best practices of different industries is important to helping my clients earn the greatest ROI on their SOC subscription. To do this, I gather information and participate in training external to what’s provided by SOC and read different blogs and articles about the subject to develop my expertise.

19. Linda Loud
    January 3, 2018 | 5:25 pm

As a Mary Kay consultant I have lots of sources to keep me informed. From the company I receive a monthly magazine that provides information, inspiration and recognition. Through our website I have access to training and webinars conducted by top directors and content experts. Throughout my 23 years as a consultant I have consistently attended the two annual events hosted by the company: Seminar and Career Conference, as well as local retreats and weekly trainings hosted by local directors. And I listen to daily training and inspirational messages from top directors through our Voxer app. All of these women serve as my mentors and they validate one of our sayings in Mary Kay: As a consultant I’m in business FOR myself, but not BY myself.

20. Bill Weaver
    January 3, 2018 | 7:26 pm

I take continuing education classes, attend an annual convention, maintain numerous certifications, talk with other professionals in the industry and continue to add additional services.

21. Larry Benator
    January 4, 2018 | 10:24 am

To keep up to date in recruiting, I follow several business related websites, and am a member of several LinkedIn groups that focus on my industry. By the time information hits the printed press, it is sometimes outdated, so I follow stories on the internet.

22. Veronica Brown
    January 5, 2018 | 1:22 pm

As an instructional designer (developer of training materials), my best resource is my local and national professional organization, the Association for Talent Development (ATD). I’m fortunate to have an organization in my industry that provides so many valuable resources, and has such an active chapter in Atlanta. Through the ATD, I have taken valuable classes, learned new tools, and made valuable business contacts.