Referral Trigger for the week of February 19
Topic: Element: Credibility | Topic: Leadership
Conversation lead by the Sandy Springs Team   (100% responses achieved)

One of the ways we become excellent is by
identifying skills to develop and amplify.Share something you’ve worked hard to learn and
develop in order to excel in your industry.
Tell the story of how you identified the need for this skill,
and then consciously developed it.Finally, explain which Officer’s role has the
biggest need for this skill.

29 Responses to What to DO to GET Referrals: Element: Credibility | Topic: Leadership – Worked to Learn
  1. Jessie Hayden
    February 16, 2018 | 9:31 am

Something I’ve worked hard to learn and develop as a learning design strategist and online course creator is (drum roll please!) – active listening skills. That might surprise people, yet a lot of my work involves consulting with clients. I have to gain a deep understanding of their online course creation goals, their target audience, their course topic(s), their ‘voice’, and their brand. I think this skill is partly innate, and I am blessed with interpersonal communication savvy, but I have also worked hard to translate, for lack of a better word, my client’s course dreams into reality. I think the officer’s role that has the biggest need for this skill is the mentorship role.

Thanks! I’m Jessie, learning design strategist and online course creator and mentor.

• Michael Chan-Frazier
      February 16, 2018 | 3:47 pm

Jessie,

I really like your response on cultivating active listening skills. I believe no matter the genre of business, these are essential. People want to be heard and understood.

2. Debra Donaldson Scott
    February 16, 2018 | 12:20 pm

The skill that I am always honing, improving and revising is responding to clients in ways they can comprehend. I have to be reassuring yet disturbing enough to motivate them to action should they need to act to improve their circumstances and many of them need to. I must not offend, but am not providing value or really serving them if they are vulnerable and I withhold that information to be nice or liked. My role is to be trustworthy and wise and share with clients how to reach their goals, even when difficult. Good guidance fits the mentor coordinator position at PowerCore, but is essential in all service industries.

3. Debra Scott
    February 16, 2018 | 12:37 pm

I have refined and honed and continue to work on improving communicating my recommendations to clients who actually need “tough love” to improve their financial futures. Although I must not offend, it does not serve my clients to allow them to proceed with the illusion that their retirements or legacies are just fine as they are when vulnerabilities exist that prompt action could correct, even when action seems uncomfortable or scary. I must be kind, but direct and skillfully guide clients to productive behavior that actually helps them grow assets. Mentor coordinators use these skills as all service industries requiring confidentiality and trusted advice.

4. Joe McGhee
    February 16, 2018 | 2:55 pm

With a new client, I speak with the client before I send an e-mail. Once I have listened carefully to what the client’s needs are, I recount to my client what my understanding of the client’s situation is and what I understand are the desired outcomes. Then I articulate to the best of my ability in layman’s terms the best legal course of action and what alternatives if any are possible. My client’s expect me to provide them with expert counsel and to consider all of the circumstances of any action or no action. I suppose my ability to exhibit empathy and knowledge is why my clients choose me.

5. Michael Chan-Frazier
    February 16, 2018 | 3:45 pm

I have worked very hard to develop my ability to empathically & actively listen to clients. My industry is unique because I specialize in energy clearing as a SOULva Specialist. Many people ask, “What in the world is a SOULva Specialist?” A SOULva Specialist is certified and trained professional that uses a SOULva Stick, an organically bundled stick of sacred sage and proprietary herbs to clear out the negative & stagnant energy people carry. In addition to being a SOULva Specialist, I am also licensed professional counselor where listening to clients is essential for the therapeutic relationship. As I have transitioned into being a SOULva Bar Specialist, it is vitally important I listen for what clients are not telling me. My clients reveal a lot of info by implicitly communicating it. Actively listening with empathy helps to ease the process of them letting go of thoughts and emotions that may not support them. I developed this skill, paying attention to my clients needs, asking questions, and requesting feedback.

The Member Coordinator has the biggest need for this skill because they are consistently managing the needs and personalities of the team while facilitating team cohesion, where they are hopefully checking in consistently with teammates on their experiences.

6. Barry Kaplan
    February 16, 2018 | 7:57 pm

Clients rely on me to protect their interests against a broad array of foreseeable—and sometimes unforeseeable—detrimental events and circumstances, while maximizing beneficial outcomes. In my practice as a patent and intellectual property attorney, there is little margin for error and there is no substitute for clear writing.

The skills I have worked hard to learn and to apply are unwavering attention to detail, and communicating difficult (and sometimes archaic) legal concepts clearly and understandably. Given the legal and technical complexities inherent in my practice areas, I aspire every day to improve, enhance, and evolve these skills, so that I can better help my clients achieve the outcomes they desire.

I believe the Participation Coordinator uses these skills for the benefit of his/ her Team.

7. Ellen Ross
    February 17, 2018 | 4:58 pm

During my career in both traditional and social media marketing, having excellent communication skills, both oral and written, is the foundation upon which I am able to solve problems for my clients.

But, these skills would not be effective if I did not take the initiative to understand my clients’ needs and remain focused on follow through to ensure that their marketing initiatives are completed on time.

These skills are needed for the Visitor Coordinator role because you want to determine visitors’ needs. And you also need to stay on top of communication through written correspondence and/or gentle reminders via phone that attending their first team meeting will be the start of something great for their business.

8. JULIE BUCAR
    February 19, 2018 | 1:20 pm

I HAVE WORKED HARD TO BECOME A BETTER LISTENER AND EDUCATOR. WITH BOTH OF THESE COMBINED, IT CREATES AN AMAZING BALANCE TO BEGIN A RELATIONSHIP WITH MY CUSTOMERS AND TO CONTINUING GROWING IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH MY CUSTOMERS. THIS NEVER ENDS. I IDENTIFIED THE NEED FOR THIS THROUGH MY PASSION OF WHOLE FOOD LIVING BY EXAMPLE AND SHARING MY KNOWLEDGE AND GROWING KNOWLEDGE. THE PARTICIPATION COORDINATOR ROLL BENEFITS FORM THESE SKILLS BECAUSE IT MUST LISTEN CLOSELY TO WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING AND HAS TO BE SURE EACH PERSON AT THE TABLE LEARNS FROM IT!!! LOVE MY NEWNAN POWERCORE FAMILY AND WHAT WE EACH BRING TO THE TABLE. ​

9. Eric Jensen
    February 19, 2018 | 2:54 pm

Attention to detail is a key skill that you never master, but you always have to work on it. In personal injury trials and litigation, the devil is often found in the details. I was able to get a good result for a client injured in a car crash on new years eve. Both parties claimed they had the green light and the right of way. I got copies of all of the light sequence information from the intersection at issue in the case, and I was able to pin the Defendant down on the time this happened. Then I got a DOT traffic engineer to interpret the light sequence data from the box at this intersection and tell me exactly what lights fire, what times they fire, and how long they’re on. Because I dove into those details, I was able to prove that the defendant’s light was red (not green like she claimed) at the time she said the wreck occurred, and that resulted in a good settlement for my client.

10. Amy Yarkoni
    February 19, 2018 | 4:45 pm

In my role as a trusted advisor for my clients, it is important to listen carefully to what is said and observe gaps, pauses and body language to recognize what is not being said in words. It is useful to then turn an observation in to a question, without judgment, in order to open a meaningful dialogue and garner the facts and information required to provide sound advice. This trait would match well with the Visitor Coordinator role, by listening to visitors and assessing their interest and comfort level with the group as well as talk about how they could both provide and receive benefits within the team.

11. Alex Garcia
    February 19, 2018 | 5:29 pm

Listening is a skill I’ve worked on over the years. An old sales manager told me I wasn’t doing well with listening to an upset customer. He played back a prerecorded conversation and he was absolutely right. I shared it with my wife and she told me I did the same exact thing with her. It’s amazing how any successful interaction (both professionally and personally) can come down to how well we listen to our customers, spouses, significant others, etc. After working on it, I’ve done better with turning upset customers into extremely valuable clients. My wife also appreciates it!

12. Beckye Young
    February 19, 2018 | 5:58 pm

I continually work to develop communication skills. As an accountant and a numbers person, it is easier to solve the issue on paper than it is to follow through with the client and insure their understanding. Clients not only want the answer to issues, but to understand the reasoning. In some cases in our world the reason is simply, “it is a rule”, but this can be communicated in such a way that clients understand the rule, even if the reason may be elusive. Communication sets us apart as a firm as well as our skills in taxation. The officer that works well with accounting is membership coordinator as it combines the math – tracking referrals/participation and communication with the team.

13. Lisa Wrenn
    February 19, 2018 | 7:35 pm

The skill I think that helps me stand out is negotiating skills. I am a listing agent and in the current real estate market, getting an offer is not the hardest part. Often we have multiple offers. Getting an offer to the closing table is another story. It is my job to evaluate offers and consider all aspects of it including the strength of both the buyer and their agent. I need to make sure that I am making recommendations to my client that will get them to closing. There are often road bumps along the way and I am the representative for them to negotiate the best terms they can get. I am managing expectations for all parties throughout the transaction. I believe that best translates to Team Coordinator in Power Core. Setting the expectations and the tone for the team and keeping the team on track.

14. Stephen Cohen
    February 19, 2018 | 11:39 pm

After many years of experience in the business world and quite a few in the Power Core world, I like to give my clients ( and potential Power Core members ) the inside scoop. If some one wants to save money for a catering event, I suggest they provide their own drinks and plates. If some one wants to take my advise and join a Power Core team, I tell them this is the time to be selfish. Look over the profile of the members and make sure the members fit YOUR profile that will feed you new referrals and gate openers. Make sure the team is close to your home or office. Visit the team and feel the energy. So many people join Power Core for what they can receive – you can almost always tell after the first meeting. The givers and doers stay with the program, follow the rules, and develop friends – and oh by the way – receive quality referrals. It’s a great country.
    Telling potential members the inside scoop is what it’s all about for any member but especially the Visitor Coordinator.

15. Rick Daigle
    February 20, 2018 | 7:04 am

Wne I first began my consulting practice I realized that the great majority of potential clients used QuickBooks as their accounting and business reporting tool. I made a conscience decision to get really good at QB so that when I walked into a new client I could hit the ground running and add value pretty quickly. Over the next 3 years I obtained every certification available. Since Feb 2009 I have been the highest rated QB consultant in the country.

These skills make me a good candidate to continue as the treasurer.

16. Dianne Lucht
    February 20, 2018 | 10:22 am

Dianne Lucht, BSN,RN- Health and Wellness Strategist. As a registered nurse, I have four years of college plus an internship, additional courses, countless hours of continuing education and 30 plus years of experience in hospitals and clinics. In those years I learned how to be an active listener, to listen with all of my senses and to trust my gut. But when I went into business for myself to sell health products rather than teaching, I hit a wall. Even though I had researched and believe the products to be the best available, I had a hard time asking for money. So what I have had to learn is it is okay to talk about the price and that I have to ask the client if they would like to purchase. (Thanks PowerCore!) I have also had to learn to explain that all bodies are unique and respond differently so it may take trying different combinations of these health products to receive the desired effect. I am the expert, so I have to suggest these various combinations. I’m compassionate, detail-oriented and great at explaining things, so Mentor Coordinator 1st or 2nd would be a good fit.
    Dianne Lucht,BSN,RN
    Live Well Live Life
    Dianne@LiveWellLiveLife.com

17. Reggie Thomas
    February 20, 2018 | 11:00 am

Working in the banking industry, I’ve identified a couple of skills that have made me successful in my career and with the clients I help. The first skill is Setting Expectations. When new and existing clients have a clear understanding of what I provide, they can make a sound decision on how to reach their financial goals with my help. The second skill is Taking a Consultative Approach. Clients know when a person is “product pushing” a service/product on them. In most cases, it is not in the benefit of the client. By listening and taking the consultative approach, I am able to make recommendations that clients will benefit from.
    The Officer role that possesses these skills is the Mentor Coordinator. Mentor coordinators helps new members by setting expectations on how PowerCore works and how they will be able to maximize growth and reach.

18. Rob Burgner
    February 20, 2018 | 11:21 am

I began my marketing business in 2001 with an initial focus on video production and video streaming. My first 6 months I spent learning everything I could about the craft, from scripting, to production and direction, to editing,motion graphics & online distribution. I knew I was ready to hang out my shingle when I attended an Adobe conference of professionals and the moderators were unable to answer a question from the audience on anamorphic lenses. I was able to answer the question and made some great connections!

My years getting the best performance out of people while directing TV commercials and pilots, music videos, short films and promos make me an ideal team coordinator.

19. Kerry Guthrie
    February 20, 2018 | 1:41 pm

These days most clients are in a hurry and time is a value, most want to take care of things by phone and email. What I have found though is in order to insure many businesses properly I must take a look at their operations and equipment to evaluate where coverage is needed that the owner may not even realize. So if the operations are in an industry that is not a cookie cutter type field I insist that we meet in person at their place of business. This not only insures the client has the proper coverage, but also eliminates any misunderstanding of what is covered when and if a claim occurs.

So being observant, listening, and asking questions is key to understanding operations and needs. These are all areas that I have to continue to develop and practice to be proficient in. This not only applies to business, but our daily lives with family and friends as well.

20. Paige Hudgins
    February 20, 2018 | 6:05 pm

As an Interior Designer it’s important to convey a client’s vision to the contractor. To document this design quickly and accurately is ideal. Existing photos, overlay sketches with notes, and a couple imagery pictures popped into a ppt is a great way to document a design. This format can be much more cost effective than fully developed plans and millwork drawings. Realizing a need and developing a solution is a useful skill in any leadership role.

21. Randy Garrett
    February 21, 2018 | 9:55 am

In making a quick transition from the corporate world of banking to that of mortgage broker, I had to come out from behind the desk so to speak as past positions were internal being auditing, Operations mgt and Project mgt. The skill I had to hone in on quickly was that of actively selling. PowerCore meeting structure was the avenue that got me comfortable of selling and speaking in front of others and developing & fine tuning my structure and delivery. All the officer roles require this skill set.

22. Suzanne Hudson
    February 21, 2018 | 5:00 pm

Selling is much easier to do when you believe in your product and your company. I have tried a few other sales positions through the years. Some went well. Some did not. I found out that I do not ever need to try again to sell cemetery plots or life insurance. Neither went well. Evidently, I am not good at helping someone learn the value in planning ahead for their death. However, I realized the moment I walked into that first Thirty-One party that I was destined to SELL bags! I love them! I love that they are tied to fashion. I love our other product lines and the great gifts they can provide for any occasion. I love the direct sales platform and the relationships that it enables me to develop with my customers and hostesses. This purse gig has been my passion for 11 years now and I know it will continue to be for years to come. Often people think they are not cut out for sales, but it is often that they have not found their niche’. I had to learn this lesson. No one should be selling something they are not passionate about. “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” ~ Albert Schweitzer

I truly enjoy PowerCore and believe that our processes work to help us grow in our businesses. I think this would be important for any leadership role we offer.

23. Erin Stone
    February 21, 2018 | 6:29 pm

One important skill that I’ve developed in my years as a divorce lawyer is active listening. It’s so important to not only listen carefully to the client’s needs and goals but also to make sure that the client knows I understand what they want and what they are hoping to accomplish. I think Visitor Coordinator is the position that most uses this skill. It helps a visitor feel comfortable and welcome when he or she feels that the team members not only want to know all about their business but are listening and understand their goals.

24. Terisha Tatter
    February 21, 2018 | 11:13 pm

I am the very first CoreAlign Master Trainer in Georgia!!! This has been a huge undertaking. The next step is becoming the first training facility in Georgia (as well as NC, AL, SC and TN) fingers crossed by later April. The CoreAlign uses Pilates principles but was developed by physiotherapist Jonathan Hoffman from Israel to help rehab his athletes and elderly clients. As everything new seems to come to the west first, I first saw the CoreAlign in Phoenix at a Pilates on Tour Rehab conference In 2013..and knew I had to have it. The CoreAlign is used in many studios on the west coast, but has not yet reached the SE! It’s such a great rehab and all around functional movement tool great for all athletic levels that I want to train other teachers how it can improve their clients balance, coordination, mobility and strength…and rid them of pain! I am constantly learning in my industry, staying abreast of the latest studies, successful approaches and educational courses that best benefit my clients needs. I love working with Orthopedists and spine surgeons as well as PT’s to collaborate on the best course of action for clients….I have had the honor of serving in all of the officers roles. In a past career life, I ran a 100 IT consultant divison much like Resource and Project Management. Communication of course is key, frequently being the morale booster and cheerleader of the teamas well. However, uncovering the facts and details are also key including the opinions of the best strategy or approach to move forward with. I enjoyed using these skills when I was Team Coordinator.

25. shawn bisacco
    February 22, 2018 | 9:23 am

So, becoming an excellent clinic director, can help rertain your patient base. Know how to try different adjustments, for different body types is a skill that can really help patients be more comfortable with you.

the team coordinator, is a membership that fits well with being a clinic director as a doctor of chiropractic

26. Carla Collis Gesite
    February 22, 2018 | 9:43 am

When I attended life coach school 10 years ago, we learned about asking thoughtful, well-placed questions. We also received valuable tools and techniques. Over time, though, I realized most of my toolkit appealed to the conscious mind, to the left brain. Clients’ more creative hemisphere– the right brain–wasn’t being fully engaged. And insights and “A-Ha” moments are more likely to occur when the right brain enters the equation. So, I researched techniques and developed a few of my own. I found that clients had breakthroughs more quickly and had more fun in the process.

These days the coaching industry places a greater emphasis on neuroscience, which means I have more tools and classes to choose from. Last year, for example, I took a fantastic course on Right Brain Coaching. And my clients benefited greatly from it.

27. Austin Asbury
    February 22, 2018 | 10:10 am

I think one of the skills that I have identified is managing people. When I first started my business, I was obsessed with, and insisted on paying top dollar for, the best hardware and software. Now my focus has shifted. Having the best hardware and software matters little if the wrong people are operating the same. I am paying much more attention to personnel issues. I am going to enroll in management night courses, and I plan to hire a business consultant. The officers in Powercore also need to manage people, and it may be even more difficult, as the ones they are managing are often managers themselves.

28. Lorinda Buckingham
    February 22, 2018 | 12:59 pm

I have a huge heart for people and making sure that their business succeeds. When I started my Personal and Professional Development firm, I did so with the purpose in mind to develop leaders to become effective, build organizations, cut cost, increase their sales & productivity, and to help them to live a life of success. I went through the John Maxwell certification program. John Maxwell is a leadership guru who created a training program. His principles aligned with my corporate and business success. My clients are able to gain access to premier leadership training. I spent MANY hours and days training as a speaker, trainer, and coach. I took many classes and met with mentors to further develop my skills as a listener and trainer. Starting my own firm has been one of the best decisions I have made and partnering with the John Maxwell team is icing on the cake. This is why I would be great for a visitor and mentor coordinator role. I love to be a part of the team and build up others.