Referral Trigger for the week of March 5
Topic: Element: Magnetism | Topic: Commander’s Intent
Conversation lead by the Downtown Woodstock Team   (100% responses achieved)

Hope is a powerful magnetic motivator.
You wake up early each week and come to this table,
because you hope to get referrals.

• What do your best clients hope for
    when they start working with you?
  • How long between the idea and their action?
  • What is the result your best clients find magnetic
    about your process for them?

Please click here to share your perspective.

23 Responses to What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Element: Magnetism | Topic: Commander’s Intent – Hope
  1. Donna Chunglo
    March 2, 2018 | 10:33 am

At Escex our customers hope for a quick resolution to a leak or even a brand new roof or home improvement. We can usually provide it in less than three weeks from original meeting to completed project.

The magnetic aspect of Escex is the personal touch from a welcoming call them to our organization, constant updates on the status of their project, site managers visiting their build and ending with a follow up call to ensure a quality job and happy customer.

2. Joshau Welch
    March 2, 2018 | 11:07 am

When a customer starts working with myself and Synovus, they are usually looking for an solution to a problem. Be it a loan, checking or saving solution, my solution to their need can be as quick as a few minutes or at most a couple weeks depending on the complexity of the solution.

I feel that when a client is working with me on a need they find that my most magnetic aspect is getting them the option that fits their need best and not just the “product of the week”. We keep the banking experience personal and get to know a deep understanding of why and not just put them in a product.

3. Craig Cushingham
    March 2, 2018 | 1:13 pm

Medicare Insurance is confusing. They Hope to find the plan that will best protect their retirement nest egg now, and in the future.
    Timing is determined by their 65th birthday, retirement date or Annual Open Enrollment.
    My clients like that I cover all their options and talk in terms they understand, so that Medicare is no longer a mystery, but a usable reality.

4. Shaun St. Hill
    March 2, 2018 | 3:20 pm

My best clients are looking for the right voice or internet solution for their business when they come to me. What they are hoping for is not to be oversubscribed or sold more services than is necessary for the business. The magnetic aspect, since I value relationship over revenue, is they are given exactly what they need along with a plan to future-proof their business when it comes to technology.

5. Robert Smith
    March 3, 2018 | 9:57 pm

As an accountant, my best clients hope that I listen to their expectations and perform them in a timely manner. They want someone who will communicate with them and understand their needs. I communicate my processes with them. Then, I document our expectations in an engagement letter. Clients like it when I explain the terms of our engagement in writing. It emphasizes that I understand their expectations and my responsibility to perform.

My best clients find magnetic about my processes is when I meet and exceed their expectations. The basic goals are expressed in the engagement letter. I exceed their expectations by listening and going beyond what is written. (i.e. returning phone calls, foreseeing problems, making suggestions). My processes keep them from being concerned about accounting/tax function and allows my best clients to concentrate on their business.

6. Tyler Verlander-Peabody
    March 5, 2018 | 8:52 am

Regarding Dog Training, my clients typically have two types of hope: Hope that their dogs behavior changes drastically to improve both of their lives OR Hope that their puppy Becomes a well mannered dog.

Behavior Modification is more of an instant need: they are at their wits end and call me in desperation wanting immediate help so the gap between their idea and action is quite small.

Clients with hopes of their puppies turning into well behaved dogs is a bigger gap typically between their idea of wanting training, and taking action in committing to sending me their deposit. They “hope” they can do it on their own, but I typically get the phone call 2 months later :-).

My best clients find me magnetic because they read all my reviews and see what others got in return: behaved dog, constant contact and updates from me through the process and they want the same thing. They appreciate my methodical and clear approach to training philosophy and that their dogs are in my home.

7. Erica Ramsey
    March 5, 2018 | 9:36 am

From past experience, no one goes shopping for new insurance or a new insurance agent for pleasure. Usually it’s a reaction to an unpleasant situation that drives them to seek a new provider.
    So my clients come to me usually hoping for one of three things; better customer service, better coverages and almost always, better premiums.
    When I get that first call or email or text, it takes me about 24 hours to dive in completely and identify all their needs. I spend a lot of my time researching because this is a relationship that I am striving to develop – not a single transaction – so I work hard to get to know them first.
    Do they like their current agent and why?
    Do they like their current coverages and why?
    What unique challenges do they face when getting the best coverages?
    What will it take to make sure they are fully protected in the event of a bad situation?
    And ultimately how can the coverages I provide really add lasting value beyond immediately saving some dollars on premium?
    My best clients find me magnetic because I am always accessible and wanting to help. My clients have my cell number – it’s how I’ve done business since Day 1. Every one of my clients knows to call me if a claim (or even potential claim) occurs – I take on the protective aspect of what I do personally.
    I always say “I get paid for your business when I write your policies… but I EARN your business when I help you and your family through a claim.”

8. Eric Staveness
    March 5, 2018 | 10:02 am

When my best client reaches out to me they are hoping for a piece of functional artwork. They have most likely been to all the big stores and and have been left wanting. They are hoping for unique, handcrafted, one of a kind piece of custom furniture that matches all of their wants.
    Depending on the scope of the project it could take a day or six weeks.
    Hands down my favorite and most nerve racking part of the process is the reveal. Nerve racking because I’m an artist and I have been with the piece for awhile and know every detail. So it’s very close to my heart. And at the reveal I’m exposing myself and my passion to criticism. But my favorite because the look on my clients face, sometimes even tears, when it’s all they could have hoped for and more. That’s magnetic!

9. Dawn Stastny
    March 5, 2018 | 11:25 am

Where there are people / employees there is drama, or chaos, or at a minimum, a distraction from the core business. It’s inevitable!

Occasionally, a business owner is planning ahead and wants to know that as their growth happens, they are prepared for all of the “what ifs” that may arise. Do we have policies? What about a handbook? Have we set proper expectations? In this case, they want peace of mind. They want to know they don’t need to worry. That everything is taken care of. But USUALLY, that’s not the immediate need, and when business is booming, infrastructure and scalable internal processes and policies hit the back burner.

I would say that over 90% of the time, we are a pain purchase. What they want when they come to us is they want us to make it go away. They want someone to fix it. They want it off their plate and they want to be off the radar. Their hope is that we can resolve whatever issue has demanded their attention, and has distracted them from doing what they do best, and doing what makes them money. A letter from a government agency? We can respond to those. A demand from regulatory body? We can usually manage that. A problem employee? Right up our alley! Mass chaos among staff that is keeping them from achieving your goals and expectations? We can resolve that!

When it’s a problem that is keeping their attention and time in the wrong place, they want it resolved yesterday. In this case, they are almost instantaneous in acting to pass along whatever is needed to allow someone else (that would be us) to get in the middle of the problem and make it happen. What they find, is that they enjoy not dealing with the things that don’t make them money. They enjoy having someone to do the things that take their time and energy and they really love not having to worry about it!

10. Rebecca Brizi
    March 5, 2018 | 11:56 am

Most of my clients are crafts-people, trying to run a business or practice. What they want from me is a business that is seen and not heard. In other words: a business that runs itself – and does so effectively – without needing the business owners or managers to micromanage all aspects, all of the time.

Clients sometimes come to me directly, and often come through referrals. They will tend to approach another business service provider: their CPA, their attorney, even their marketer – and say “help me fix this or get control of my business”. These providers are well placed to realize that the client needs a strategist first and a tactician second.

What is magnetic – and I love this word choice – is that fact that my clients recognize solutions to their problems in information and situations they already know. My work is helping take all the experience, entrenched and implicit knowledge they have, adding some best practice and then building processes and strategies that work within my clients resources and preferences. They are drawn to (!) the solution because it easily makes sense to them, as it is based on what they already know and do.

11. Christopher Eells
    March 5, 2018 | 12:11 pm

The Insurance industry is based on a mutual trust between the insured(the client) and the insurer(the insurance company). Clients are drawn to me because they know that I will work with the truth and I make sure that both parties are aware of the intent of the policy.

Many insurance agents just take an order from their clients, I treat my clients as if I am the manager of their companies risk management dept. I go deep into the clients specific operation making sure we address all of the exposer hiding nothing from the insurance company or the client. Most claims that end up being denied are because the insurance company did not account for an exposer the insured has. I point out all of the potential risk the insured may have so we can adequately cover them, this results in less surprises come claim time and a less likely chance that coverage will be denied. I am a good referral for your client that wants to trust that their agent wont leave them hanging when they need to file a claim.

12. Lee Pruitt
    March 5, 2018 | 1:56 pm

When Perrie & Associates receives a contract we are being entrusted with one of the most momentous moments in the lives of the parties involved. The magnetic aspect of P&A is Communication.
    We gather the relevant info and communicate it to the parties. If it is good news, we communicate the good news. If it is not so good, we communicate that as well. And if the not so good news is communicated in a timely manner, then the party affected has that much more time to (hopefully) achieve a positive outcome (such as negotiating a lower payoff for a lien).
    The bottom line is communication. Share the good news. Break the bad news.

13. Doug Wise
    March 5, 2018 | 4:00 pm

Our best clients hope for a reasonable outcome at a reasonable cost in a reasonable amount of time. Unfortunately, in family law, there are always two sides involved and sometimes the other side is not reasonable. However, we thoroughly explain that reality to our clients. This allows them to mentally prepare for the roller coaster and adjust their perception of reasonable within that context. The magnetic part of our process for our clients is our focus on them and their needs and what is best for their family. They know that we are their strongest advocate and will fight for their rights.

14. Jason Wilson
    March 5, 2018 | 5:06 pm

The result our best clients always hope for is to get the best price with the least amount of hassles. They come back because to 2 main reasons.

1. The results (Sold) or buyer it (Closed)
    2. The process and communication.

They always know what is coming next because of the communication plan.

15. Chris Coulter
    March 5, 2018 | 5:48 pm

As a mortgage lender, many times the clients come to me with either a particular home in mind or a vision of the home they want to buy. the home is the fun part, the mortgage is the not so fun part. They hope that I am able to put together a mortgage that both fits their monthly budget and aligns with their long term financial plans. From the idea to the phone call to me it is pretty quick and many times before they walk into a particular home. What I do facilitates what they want. I’m the one many times that either gives them the go ahead to buy the home or is left to re set their expecations. So clients call me pretty quick. I think what is magnetic about the service I provide is that I give the clients honest, straight forward feedback and expectations that enables them to make decisions they can live with for their families long term.

16. Jaco Swanepoel
    March 5, 2018 | 7:10 pm

My clients hope for a solution or suggestion that will bring them peace of mind.Making improvements to their biggest investment in life, they want to feel that it is taken care of in a way that parallels their approach.
    The magnetic aspect is the fact that I do it all with respect to them and their property.Always educating and giving a truthful answer and solution, after all I am a property owner myself.

17. Kristin Lloyd
    March 5, 2018 | 7:55 pm

My clients hope for transformation, insight, and personal or professional growth. Each individual comes either seeking clarity, or to overcome obstacles within themselves that are keeping them from achieving their goals.

The time it takes between the idea and the action depends on their individual situation and on how badly they seek change.

The result that my best clients find magnetic about my process for them is that I teach them how the acquire the solutions they desire; I share that they answers are always within them, that they are in charge of their brain and their energy at all times, that change is easy once they decide, and lastly that they have the power within them to change.

18. Jessie Hayden
    March 6, 2018 | 6:19 pm

When my best clients start working with me, they hope that their businesses will blossom in a new capacity. They want to move beyond the boundaries of their service-based/time-for-money sales cycle to selling e-courses and digtial learning products to their clients.

The time span between idea and action for my clients, who are predominantly creatives, coaches and solopreneurs, can be long – 6 months to a year. This is the case because my clients don’t know that someone like me (learning design strategist and online course creator-mentor) exists – someone who can help take the overwhelm out of online course design and learning product design.

The result that my best clients find magnetic about my process for them is validation. When my clients tap into their knowledge, skills, and expertise to create an online course, they experience an incredible sense of personal empowerment and validation of what has been for many their life’s work. It’s a mind-blowing experience for them.

19. Suzanne Hudson
    March 6, 2018 | 7:22 pm

I am going to address this from the perspective of the client being a new consultant who has joined my team. Her hope would be that I can help her grow and be successful in her 31 business. She wants to know that I know what I am doing and how that transfers over to her. When a consultant joins my team, she is immediately welcomed into my Hudson Fireflies Team. We get her set up with online training, numerous resources and a one-to-one with me is set up as well. When ladies join my team, they will immediately feel a sense of belonging and support. We celebrate and encourage each other every step of the way. And for some ladies, they never get that at their other jobs or even sometimes at home. Last week I had a lady rejoin my team after being out with two serious back surgeries. She lost her other job as a result and found one a mile from home that she now loves. However, she was missing that Thirty-One connection. Kristen lives in Massachusetts and has a good friend there who also sells but is not in my lineage. Kristen wanted to rejoin with me even though I am so far away because she knows how I run my business and work with my team. She said it didn’t matter where I was physically, she wouldn’t want to be with anyone else.

20. Jimmy Cushingham
    March 6, 2018 | 8:41 pm

My clients are hoping for financial peace of mind and clarity with their goals. The time between identifying the problem and action often correlates to the amount of involvement they want with their investments. The next question is, the amount of time needed to reach their goal. Together we clearly document the actions needed to reach that goal within the time frame that is realistic and obtainable.
    My best client understand that I truely listen and take action according to their needs. They understand the steps we are taking and have a clear end goal in mind.

21. Luke Livingston
    March 6, 2018 | 9:53 pm

When a client chooses Ground Floor Video they hope for a high quality video product that says; “Our business offers premium product or services.” They expect a video that is created from decades of Award-winning experience that makes them stand out from the many videos pushed out to everyone via social media these days. They hope their story is told, and the viewers want to learn more. The process to get there begins with setting clear expectations on project scope, creative approach and cost.

Once we agree on these things, we can begin production within two weeks. Ground Floor Video provides a “soup-to-nuts” process which keeps the client involved and contributing to the creative ideas. Our goal is long-term relationship so we always listen carefully, clarify communication goals and brainstorm creative techniques for delivery. We must remember that above all we are in a service business and exceeding expectations leads to a lifetime of referrals.

22. Arlene Dickerson
    March 7, 2018 | 9:04 am

Our best clients come to us with the hope that we can assist them with the overwhelming task of design & development of a website for their business. Typically, they have tried to do it themselves, asked a friend or family member to help, or their previous web developer has disappeared. In any case, they want to achieve a more accurate representation of their business and work with someone they can depend on.

When our best clients have decided that they want our assistance, they want to get started immediately. They know that their website is a reflection of their business and will add to their credibility.

The result our best client finds magnetic about our process is that we handled everything in house with no outsourcing. They can come by any time and meet with us before, during or after the process with the comfort of knowing that we are here for them and the long-term relationship.

23. Emily Cook
    March 7, 2018 | 10:10 am

When a new client starts working with me they are generally looking to lose weight, be it 5 to 10 pounds or more, and for someone to help motivate them and hold them accountable. They have usually tried other “diets” in the past and may have even had good results, but the weight and old habits come back. I typically recommend new clients start out with a free wellness evaluation, meal planning and to get started with our Herbalife 3 Day Trial Pack. This gives them time to see if this is something that could work for them in their daily lives and begin to see results. Three days isn’t enough time to see significant weight loss but what they will notice is how they are feeling, usually more sustained energy throughout the day. What most clients seem to really enjoy is the simplified meal planning, the ease of replacing two meals with an easy to make shake and the tools to develop more healthy eating habits for the future.