Referral Trigger for the week of March 26
Topic: Element: Magnetism | Topic: Commander’s Intent
Conversation lead by the Whitlock Avenue Team  (100% responses achieved)

What is a common question prospects ask you?

What do they really want to learn?

Why is that knowledge important to their decision to work with you?

What would be a better question for prospects to ask you,
a question where your answer would give them the important
information they’re looking for?

57 Responses to What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Element: Magnetism | Topic: Commander’s Intent – How Do They Know?
  1. Tommy Schlosser
    March 23, 2018 | 9:46 am

When future clients of mine are ready to switch, they’ve had it with their current carrier! The question they ask me is, “how soon can I start?”

Most often this decision is driven by a desire to save money, ASAP! However, I can usually see in the state system when their car insurance is up for renewal. If it is between 7-45 days from now I suggest that while we begin the paperwork we actually use a start date for the policy that is in that 7-45 day range allowing them to take adavantage of an “Early Bird” discount which can be a savings of up to 5%.

A better question for them to ask me is, what they should ask the seller in nearly every business transaction, “Is this the best you can do?” Even though I’ve already done a review of their policy this question let’s me know that they’re willing to discuss other options that may lower their premium or enhance their policy and not simply satisfied with a ‘Apples to Apples’ comparison.

Tommy Schlosser
    770-855-3113 TXT Friendly

March 28, 2018 | 12:06 pm

When the facts are clear, the decisions will jump at you.

2. Russ Phillips
    March 23, 2018 | 10:57 am

Clients number #1 question is What do you do?

This is a good question, but they really want to know how can you help me save more money, keep me on track or am I on the right track for retirement. Clients are really concerned about saving enough money for the future. 47% interviewed are not ready to retire the way the want to. Clients are wanting the education so they can take control over their future. A good question would be, Can you help me save for retirement? Also, what is your process in helping me save for retirement? Another, What if I don’t have a lot of money, what can you do for me?

March 28, 2018 | 12:09 pm

Handling peoples money is a tough arena. The presence of someone they like and trust is crucial.

3. Ned Goepp
    March 23, 2018 | 11:51 am

#1 question for me is: How big is the box? What they are really trying to determine, is how much stuff can I fit in one SmartBox. This will enable them to determine how many boxes they need to pack up their belongings.

What they really need to understand is they only pay for what they use, so if they get an extra box & don’t use it, I will credit their account for the month, This enables them to save on additional delivery fees, and not have to stress over packing as they will have the necessary space.

March 28, 2018 | 12:10 pm

Love it. A storage facility will not do this for you.

4. Wendy Kinney
    March 23, 2018 | 12:22 pm

“How many members are there, and how many people normally attend?”

My answer: All of them. And if they can’t be there, they send a substitute. I explain that having every seat accounted for is essential {which they think, too, or they wouldn’t have asked the question} and explain the attendance and substitution policies, and, if they have a unique business, plant a seed about how they could take advantage of the opportunity to sub. {I try not to tell them too much, because, it’s already a l.o.t.}

A better question would be “What’s the best thing about this Team?” If they asked that I’d know they were going to fit right in — the way I know everything will be okay when they say, “I can see they will have referrals for me, I’m worried about what I’ll have to give, is there a quota?” They understand reciprocity. They’ll be fine.

March 28, 2018 | 12:13 pm

PowerCore takes effort, sincerity and time.
      All well worth the investment if you are serious yet still like to have fun!

5. Lauren Lowe
    March 23, 2018 | 12:53 pm

Most common question prospects ask me is….Does your software do more than just store the documents for easy retrieval later? Answer is YES!! The software can learn your documents over time then automatically route them to people and/or departments based on existing business processes and rules that are 100% configurable to your organization! It becomes an integral part of the organization that helps streamline processes and eliminate bottlenecks.
    What do they really want to learn?…Will I get my money’s worth out of it. With an increase in productivity profits will rise so YES, the software could pay for itself time and time again and bring added value to the company overall.
    Why is that knowledge important? Customers want to know they’re getting the best value for their $$.
    What would be a better question?…With other pre boxed solutions available at a lower cost what makes your product and company so different? I don’t have enough room on this site to explain all the things that make our solution better but would love a chance to show it to your clients in person 🙂

6. Chris Coltran
    March 23, 2018 | 1:12 pm

My clients first question is commonly, “Tell me what you do as a coach?”

They ask this question because having a “coach” is very misunderstood by most people. We think of coaches in sports, but in business? What they really want to learn is how “they” can benefit from coaching. Every client is different and has their own wants and needs. Some items to work on are the same as others, but each individual has their own strengths and weaknesses.

A better question would be, “Can you tell me how I would benefit myself by having a coach?”

This would allow me to answer with items like:

– To be more productive.
    – To find items that take your time and don’t produce results.
    – To have a non-bias, 3rd party person observe you in action, observe your processes; without emotion and give solid feedback.
    – To give you a sounding board for ideas and goals.
    – To keep you accountable to someone other than yourself.

A coach will give you someone other than yourself in your corner, focused on the same things you are; helping you stay focused and not get distracted.

March 28, 2018 | 12:21 pm

Business cannot always see the realistic and practical solutions to their challenges. Candid professional coaching can do this.

7. Dr. Laurie Dady
    March 25, 2018 | 11:06 am

1. How long is this going to take to feel better, whether it’s a chiropractic or functional medicine patient.
    2. They want to learn how to not have this (either chiro wise or functional medicine wise) happen again. I give them tools to use and things to avoid in order to change their present lifestyle for the better.
    3. It’s important because it lets them know that our practice isn’t about a quick fix BUT that we care for them long term giving them valuable knowledge they can use going forward. Knowledge is power!
    4. What separates Center for Health & Healing from other practices? How are you different? – this way that question gives us the opportunity to explain what we do and how we differ from other practices like ours. When we’re given that opportunity, potential patients get a feel that we are not in the business to band-aid an issue but are in it for the long haul of getting to the actual cause.

March 28, 2018 | 12:22 pm

I heard I will not live forever. That is really gonna’ get in the way of my plans…
      We best all take good care of ourselves.

8. E.J. Farge
    March 25, 2018 | 2:13 pm

the common question: How long will this take? what would be better: “when do i learn if I will REALLY get this mortgage loan, and how can you and I hasten the day to make it certain and speedy?”
    For my part, the best is to help them understand EARLY in the process that if they read WELL the document list which I and their processor give them the process is much easier and quicker. And the chances for a “no” response diminishes with their transparency and responsibeness!

March 28, 2018 | 12:23 pm

That waiting period of approval can be tedious if you have not been well-versed on what you can expect and what is realistic.

9. Jim Hilber
    March 26, 2018 | 2:38 pm

A common question I receive is “What is your rate (%)?”

What merchant prospects really want to learn is:
    -Will I save money?
    -Is meeting with you worth my time?
    -I don’t know what else to ask, is this a good place to start?
    -Should I listen to how this guy responds to this?
    -Does it even matter for my business?
    -Is there really any way to get value out of your credit card processor?

The answer to all of these and so many more is “yes!”

With the pace of financial payments today it is important that merchants have a full understanding of how their payments work, what risk is involved and what they can proactively do to make it an investment vs. an expense.

A better question if they had some of the facts would be:

“With your 25 years experience in payments and your CPP (Certified Payments Professional) certification, would you guarantee time spent in an evaluation with you would be valuable to both me and my business?”

The answer is also “Yes.”

Get the facts. Finally.
    Jim Hilber
    Merchant Gladiator

10. Anna Morgan
    March 26, 2018 | 4:14 pm

Prospects are defined as corporations that hire Ledgent to staff Accounting & Finance positions.
    Common Question: What are your fees? Direct Hire is 20% of the annual salary offered to the candidate. Example: Staff Accountant salary is 50,000 annually – fee to the company is a $10,000 fee. A 90 day guarantee is included.
    They want to learn how quickly we can help staff their position and how much it will cost.

Why is that knowledge important to their decision to work with you?
    *Ledgent’s goal is to truly partner by understanding our client’s perception of quality
    *We interview all our candidates face to face
    *We do references
    *We can do criminal, credit, and drug test (included in fee)
    *We offer a video of the candidates with the resume when we present the candidate to the hiring manager
    * We place temporary, temp to hire, and direct hire candidates
    What would be a better question for prospects to ask you,
    a question where your answer would give them the important information they’re looking for?
    What differentiates you from other staffing firms?
    What can you do to assist me in meeting deadlines, drive production, and hit company goals & objectives?

We are about a customized solution for each client.

March 28, 2018 | 12:28 pm

I believe that custom-tailoring and sincerity in differentiation comes from the heart of your office and a great Team that I have had the privilege of meeting.

11. Deana Dalrymple
    March 26, 2018 | 4:15 pm

The most common question I get is “How fast can you turn my project”. Most people think of printing last. The next most common questions is about art and what kind of files I can take that will print well. Desktop printers have spoiled most people and there is a general thought that you can just hit a button and voila, you have a printed piece. The most important part of my job is to explain the process so my clients can understand how it works so we can get a beautifully printed piece done the most economical way while maintaining quality. We need vector art so we can separate colors and make plates. If you don’t know what kind of paper you would like for your job, I can help you pick papers to work with the finish you would like. Then we can work on “finishing” processes such as folding, cutting, foil stamping and die cutting. This knowledge is important in prospects decision to work with me because they want to see value and want a product that will represent their image. The size of the project will dictate the best way to produce it whether its Digital or Offset. Deadlines are also important. A great question for prospects to ask is “What can you produce by my deadline date that will represent me well” and I can give many options.

March 28, 2018 | 12:29 pm

Printing and custom projects are always under the scrutiny of tough critics. It is a pleasure to work with someone who will return you call, be attentive to the process and see a project through to the end.

12. Julie Chastain
    March 26, 2018 | 5:06 pm

Commonly, prospective clients ask “Is the individual mandate for health insurance still in force for 2018?” In other words,”Do I have to keep paying my high health insurance premiums in order to avoid a penalty this year?” The new tax reform law did repeal the individual penalty for not having health insurance, but that provision doesn’t take effect until 2019. So it’s important for them to know they do need to have qualified coverage to avoid a penalty this year, however there are a number of alternatives to the healthcare marketplace for them to consider– particularly if someone does not qualify for subsidies. Even 4 months into the year, I can help them find other options. The best question they could ask me is “How can you help me lower my health insurance costs?”

March 28, 2018 | 12:31 pm

A confusing area for people for sure. Julie helps unravel all those options.

13. Ronald Boose
    March 26, 2018 | 5:11 pm

The common question I often get is “who opens the Valpak Envelope”? The answer is women between the age of 35 – 55. The better question would be why do women open the Valpak Envelope? The answer id that the offers Valpak put in that envelope is because the offers fit there lifestyle. Not matter what a families income level is, saving money on dinning, entertainment and household services is always attractive.

March 28, 2018 | 12:32 pm

Ron tackles the data needed for you and proposes a very cost efficient no-risk option.

14. Justin Cox
    March 26, 2018 | 6:46 pm

The most common question I get is “Do you really think there is bad mold in my house?” What they really want to know is how dangerous and expensive will this be. A better question would be “How do I prevent this mold from coming back?” I could answer that one with ease and it would help them realize that while the existing mold can cause some health issues, it still is not a big deal because we can get rid of it and I can help them to keep it from returning.

March 28, 2018 | 12:34 pm

This is a very expensive potential problem that should never be ignored. Justin is an expert that more times than not, simply provides you confidence that all is and will be OK.

15. Kriston Sellier
    March 26, 2018 | 8:04 pm

The common question prospects ask me is how does the process work? They want to understand what to expect, how much time they will be involved, and how how long the process will take.
    The knowledge is important because their time is valuable. The more time they spend away from their business, they fear that it could be a loss of revenue.

A better question would be, what is the value that a rebranding project would bring to my business? The answer is that instead of competing on price, the proper identity helps them to compete on value. As a value partner, the business becomes more about benefit than cost. #brandingagency #brandingrefresh #roi #2300%returnoninvestment #getbranded #identity

March 28, 2018 | 12:38 pm

Proper Identity = Value
      Value = Benefit
      reducing cost concerns.

16. Jeff Smith
    March 26, 2018 | 8:41 pm

When we asking for a listing for a piece of property, whether to lease it up or sell it for the owner, the common question is “how are you going to market my property?”What they really want to know is “how are you going to be different than the last guy”.t’s important to them because too many in my industry just put a sign up and then don’t follow up leads or go looking for tenant or buyers. A better question is”tell me about your companies philosophy and how it differs from others”. With that question I can tell them our approach to commercial real estate and what makes us unique compared to the other guys.

March 28, 2018 | 12:40 pm

Thanks Jeff for you comments on the importance of differentiation in business.

17. J.B. Kitts
    March 26, 2018 | 9:57 pm

A common question that I get is two-fold; “Will I get the results I am seeking from taking your company’s health and wellness products, and how much does it cost?” Many times, the implication behind the question is that they may have tried other products from various sources but didn’t quite get the results they had hoped. My usual response is, “can you be more specific?”, and then listen to their health and wellness journey and experience. The best thing for a prospective client to do for me is to identify what their health goals or needs are and then ask which product(s) I believe would be the best match for them and why? Although there are no promises, quick fixes, or guarantees; I can provide valuable insight that may help them better achieve the results they are seeking.

March 28, 2018 | 12:43 pm

To expect desired results takes time dedicated to the assumptions we all agree on. Thanks for taking the time to be part of that step as some of your competitors don’t.

18. Tim Cowan
    March 27, 2018 | 9:19 am

Most people want to know how much their house is worth, what do they have to do to it in order to sell it and how long will it take. They are really interested in how “the market” is as they are going through a life changing experience. Understanding this information allows my clients to make good decisions through a very uncertain time. My goal is to provide them all the information in a very easy to see presentation. Once they have a great understanding of what to expect, then all the other decision fall in place. I make sure to put my clients best interest out in front in order to show the path of how to get there. The best question someone can ask me is “Where do I sign?” and/or “How do we get started?”. They can have confidence that they have the best agent in the world I have helped over 500 families and have been recognized in the Cobb Board of Realtors Top 10 in 2014, 2016 & 2017 (There is right at 2,400 agents in our Board). Tim Cowan Managing Partner/Listing Specialist The Cowan Connection Team of KW “Making every client feel like the only client”

March 28, 2018 | 12:44 pm

Love the confidence. And you back it up.

19. David Edmonson
    March 27, 2018 | 1:46 pm

Potential clients often say: “can you take a quick look at my Magento store to see why it is not working.” What they are really asking is if I can fix their previous developer’s mess for a hundred bucks. It is important for Magento Commerce website owners to realize that their website is a very intricate machine, similar to an automobile, with lots of moving parts and dependencies. One wrong update can cause the entire site to become unusable. A better question: “What is the best way to increase profitability on my Magento Store?”. We can then frame the conversation around what “has” to be done and what “needs” to be done, leaving room in the future for what “can” be done.

March 28, 2018 | 12:45 pm

Being candid may not get you all the clients, but it will get you the right ones….

20. Bo Brownlow
    March 27, 2018 | 1:58 pm

It is common that people ask me to help them when their computer will no longer boot after a Windows Update They ask me if they should “buy a new computer?”. However, what they actually want to learn is how to keep their computer from having a mind of its own. I help to counsel them on why Windows updates are important and how they can some times cause boot failures; thus having a backup strategy is very important. A better question to ask is “What is the easiest way to ensure that my computer malfunctions do not cripple my business productivity?” I use a tiered process of backups and extra hardware to ensure that users are able to maintain efficiency with minimal downtime.

March 28, 2018 | 12:48 pm

All are so tied to their versions of data whether they like it or not. They act like they could not live without it, but do very little to duplicate it in an efficient manner.

21. Len Nelms
    March 27, 2018 | 5:54 pm

A very common question from someone who has a tax problem is, “Can the IRS really come take my house, business, money, etc?” The short answer is yes, but only in specific circumstances. The better question is, “Is it possible to work this problem out to my benefit?” The answer to that is yes, yes, yes!!!
    Engaging someone to represent you before the IRS means you have an advocate who knows the process, and will provide the best solution available to you or your business. The IRS is a “Don’t ask, don’t tell” organization. If you don’t ask for a specific solution, they won’t tell you about it. Maybe it’s best to have someone on your side who already knows the best solution!

• Tim Cowan
      March 28, 2018 | 11:11 am

Nice

March 28, 2018 | 12:51 pm

I see so often people post things like “just lost a day of my life talking to the IRS.” Why would they do that? Trust in a professional that can help “work this problem out to (a) benefit.”

22. Pamela Saunders
    March 27, 2018 | 7:21 pm

Prospective clients asks if they should attend their child’s Individual Education Program without an advocate. These parents want to believe all that they’re told by school officials. An advocate will allow parents to maintain this desired relationship with the school without damaging the possibilities for their child.

A better question to ask would be what experience can an advocate offer that will improve my child’s educational prospect. More often than not, an advocate will guide you through the IEP process while maintaining the good relationship with their child’s school.

March 28, 2018 | 12:52 pm

After getting to know and working with Pamela, I confidentially referred her to a family friend in need.

23. Dan Comer
    March 28, 2018 | 7:31 am

One of the first thing clients are interested in is average cost of a landscape maintenance service plan and the scope of services that includes. With so many landscape competitors in the industry, prospective customers want to do their homework to gauge where our prices fall comparatively. Perhaps a better question to ask is, “why should I do business with your company?” This provides us the opportunity to talk about what distinguishes us from other companys and the value a client receives when they work with us. -Circle W Landscape

March 28, 2018 | 12:53 pm

When people get too priced focused, they forget to ask that key question. Thank you for reminding them.

24. Mark Chastain
    March 28, 2018 | 11:25 am

A common question is “What can I do to improve the financial results of my business?” My response is usually to ask a couple of questions about the Company’s Sales, Gross Profit and Growth in Assets to determine the prospects level of financial understanding of their organization. This quickly illuminates the area(s) needing analysis and leads to a plan to tackle the issues that provide the highest return when corrected.

What the prospect is really asking is “X in my business concerns me and I am not sure what to do, can you help me fix this?” This is why I work as a partner with the client so we tackle issues “Shoulder to Shoulder” rather than “Face to Face”.

March 28, 2018 | 12:55 pm

Mark works beside you at your desk as a partner as opposed to across from you as a vendor.

25. Brandon Brackenridge
    March 28, 2018 | 11:35 am

The most common question asked for me in my industry would be is Hardwood expensive? They want to know is it a easy installation process, how long does it take to install? This is a tricky question it all matters in the details of the project. Every project is different just like us people. A better question would be is Hardwood really for me? My budget is this and living situation is this. That way we can discuss options and budgeting. This way expectations are set properly for the customer and we can go into the project with a clear mind and knowing exactly what to expect.

March 28, 2018 | 12:56 pm

I appreciate the way Brandon walks you through realistic options without leading you to more than you need. He will only be happy if you are.

26. Julie Bucar
    March 28, 2018 | 1:27 pm

A common question that prospects ask me is …….is this a vitamin or is this a Juice? Most people really have no idea what Juice Plus is. I explain to them that Juice Plus is non GMO, no herbicide, no pesticide, vine ripened, dehydrated whole food, fruits, veggies and berries in a capsule or chewable form! It’s important that people understand the connection between nutrition and disease and how our bodies recognize these nutrients. It’s important that they know that they should be getting 9-13 servings of fruits and veggies each day.

What’s the difference between supplements and whole food nutrition? That is a question that I love to answer!

27. Shane Stogner
    March 29, 2018 | 8:32 am

The most common question is what will everything cost – which really means they are trying to decide whether it is worth hiring an attorney. I It is important at this stage for me to get to know the business and to help them understand that an attorney is not a one-off engagement but an advisor relationship

March 29, 2018 | 8:54 am

“Advisor Relationship.” Love it.

28. Adam Humphreys
    March 29, 2018 | 12:10 pm

When a customer asks why my roof is leaking? There is a variety of information they really want to know. Is it a repair or replacement? Where is the leak coming from and how will I pay for the damage?

Through education and solid information and a physical inspection we can decide whether a repair, or a replacement is needed. Is the leak even caused by the roof? We work with them to solve the mystery, come up with an affordable option and often results in a new roof for little or no out of pocket expense.

The best question to ask is: How do I get my FREE NO OBLIGATION roof inspection from Escex Storm Restoration?

29. Shawn Livingston
    March 29, 2018 | 3:05 pm

Everyone always asks me “what do you do”. My answer is always ” a little of this and a little of that”. What they really need to ask me is what they really want done. Get to the point. If I don’t do what they need, I can always refer someone. But usually within that conversation they find out that there are more things then they realized that they need repaired. And those are the things that I actually do. That’s where the relationship starts and that’s where they become my “customer for life”.

30. Ted Kolwicz
    March 29, 2018 | 11:21 pm

First question asked is what do you recommend for my copy needs
    Do I know what I’m talking about?
    My knowledge is important because what I recommend will effect how much they will spend.
    A better question to ask me would be, what features on the copier are necessary to make my business run more efficient?

31. Jessie Hayden
    April 6, 2018 | 1:09 pm

A common question that prospects ask me is “What is your process for designing an online course or digital information product?”

What they really want to learn is how I can “coach” them through the instructional design process or if I can create a course for them with minimal involvement on their part.

This knowledge is important to their decision to work with me because many potential clients are unaware that there is, in fact, a well-defined and manageable methodology and standardized process for designing and developing instructional products. I think they are excited to learn that designers like me work with subject matter expects all the time to create training products and online courses.

A better question to ask would be “Can you describe what would it be like to partner with you to create an online course?”

32. Jim Hilber
    April 19, 2018 | 12:32 pm

A common question I receive is “What is your rate (%)?”

What merchant prospects really want to learn is:
    -Will I save money?
    -Is meeting with you worth my time?
    -I don’t know what else to ask, is this a good place to start?
    -Should I listen to how this guy responds to this?
    -Does it even matter for my business?
    -Is there really any way to get value out of your credit card processor?

The answer to all of these and so many more is “yes!”

A better question if they had some of the facts would be:

The answer is also “Yes.”

Get the facts. Finally.