Referral Trigger for the week of March 19
Topic: Element: Magnetism | Topic: Commander’s Intent
Conversation lead by the Virginia Highlands Team  (100% responses achieved)

Our focus this month is about giving referrals.

Think of the most recent referral conversation you had.
Tell us how it happened.

First, set the scene. Where were you?
At your desk, in the car, on the deck?

Now name the players.
Who were you talking with?

Tell us what they said –Now share how you transitioned
into a referral conversation, and made the connection.

24 Responses to What to DO to GIVE Referrals: Element: Magnetism | Topic: Commander’s Intent – Their Result
  1. Wendy Kinney
    March 16, 2018 | 9:43 am

1: I was driving, and got a text – so I touched reply to call her back. (Two eyes on the road, two hands on the wheel.)

2: A past PowerCore Member >>> has a friend, new in an executive position with a non-profit, who asked the past Member if she knew anyone who …

3: There were three potential people I could refer – since I was driving I asked the past Member if she was in front of her computer – she said no, but she had her phone so I told her to type PowerCore and then the name of the person I was referring her to into Google. [first thing to come up on the search page will be that person’s PowerCore profile page, complete with contact info] and asked if she felt comfortable reaching out, or if she’d like me to make an eIntroduction.

2. Charlotte Merritt
    March 16, 2018 | 10:01 am

While at work one of my clients approached me about making a custom workspace for her growing team. We talked about the space I would move her in to, the spaces nearby we could also use for expansion, paint colors, desk types, etc. Within her new space there was one large room, and one office. After I said yes to red paint, 10 desks in the large space, 2 in the office the client started to get creative, and asked if she could hire a contractor to put a picture window in the wall that separates the 2 spaces. I agreed but didn’t push my contractor contacts on her. About an hour later she called and asked if I knew any who did commercial work, and I then gave her two contractor referrals on separate 3-way emails so I could personalize they whys of my recommendation.

3. Scott Levine
    March 16, 2018 | 10:40 am

I was at the gym and I was talking to my neighbor on the treadmill next to mine.

He had mentioned that he has his own business and I of course started talking about PowerCore. He told me all about what he does and later that day I was able to refer him to a client of mine.

I also may have convinced him to visit our team as well.

4. Zach Bolstad
    March 16, 2018 | 10:56 am

1: I was out having drinks with a few friends

2: A good friend, and a fellow small business owner, made a quip about tax season and how I guess we need to “do that” this year. (it was funny in person)

3: I immediately knew, I needed to try to refer him to my man: Scott Levine (team accountant), if he needed a contact. So I went along with it, agreeing that taxes are dumb and I don’t ever deal with them directly if I have too, keeping my stress levels lower. Then just mentioned I could connect him with Scott (who I use) if he wanted. About as straight forward as a referral can get!

5. Eric Richner
    March 16, 2018 | 11:59 am

First, set the scene. Where were you?
    At your desk, in the car, on the deck?

I was on the phone with a colleague and they are looking for board members.

Now name the players.
    Who were you talking with?

CEO of a non-profit organization.

Tell us what they said –Now share how you transitioned
    into a referral conversation, and made the connection.

They said they need someone to manage their money for the non-profit.

6. Chip Ivie
    March 16, 2018 | 12:55 pm

I received a Buyer referral from a past client. Client had a good experience and referred their co-working. We were e-introduced via email. I followed up with a phone call to introduce myself and to suggest a meeting. We met a few days later for coffee to get to know one another and for me to learn his home buying wants/needs. An hour later, I had a new client. Bam!

7. Dr Taushlea Green
    March 16, 2018 | 1:19 pm

I was making conversation with a patient while adjusting them when he made a comment that he was thinking about just hitting H&R block for his taxes but he was not sure. I told him that my Guy (Scott Levine) is the best. He will make sure your taxes are done right! He seemed interested in using Scott so I asked him If he would prefer me to introduce him over email, or have Scott call him. I did a 3-way email introduction that day, and then followed up a few days later to make sure the connection had been made.

8. Jason Wade
    March 16, 2018 | 1:43 pm

I was at a networking event and ran into an Fashion consultant. The week before visitor that does head shots mentioned she was interested meeting people like that. So I invited the fashion consultant and photographer to lunch so they could meet.

9. Rodney Shaffer
    March 17, 2018 | 10:58 am

1. I was at a coffee appointment with a PowerCore visitor.

2. We were discussing her business and some challenges of being self employed. She was doing the talking. I was asking questions.

3. She lamented about the challenges of being self-employed and obtaining medical insurance for herself. She talked about how confusing it was. I pulled out a business card for one of my team members and explained how my friend could explain health insurance to her in a way she could understand, and that the insurance company pays her…so it’s no extra cost to the customer. I need to follow up and make sure the connection happens now.

10. Jason Williams
    March 17, 2018 | 11:11 am

The most recent referral I made was when I was picking up my van from the shop. My mechanic and I are pretty good friends and he knew I was coming back from a training class in NYC. So we were talking about all of the cool stuff that this new automation software does and he said “man I wish I could automate my accounting software. That would be awesome!” So I told him about Scott Levine. We spent the next 30 minutes or so talking about the fantastic work that Scott has done on my books and how he offers various book keeping and tax preparation services that I’ve learned about from Scott’s info minutes. I told Scott about Dale at the next Power Core meeting. Then I did a 3 way email introduction.

11. Shaun St. Hill
    March 17, 2018 | 3:30 pm

I was having lunch with a friend, a potential PowerCore member. He mentioned some changes that needed to be made in his business. I asked him if he was already working with someone on the two changes needed in his business. He said he had not reached out to anyone. I was able to refer him to two PowerCore members and connected all parties involved via 3 way email.

12. Jill Wener
    March 17, 2018 | 9:59 pm

A friend of a friend just moved to Atlanta, so we got together for a get-to-know-you brunch. She ended up being awesome, and we’ve become friends. She came to a workshop at my studio, where Meredith Sims was giving a talk about sustainable investing, and then confessed she was an ophthalmologist who had never invested her money before, so Meredith got a new client! She told me she lives in midtown, which is right near Jen Raby’s gym. I already work out with Jen and love her, so I recommended Jen’s training services as well, and she is now one of Jen’s clients!

13. Margaret O'Brien
    March 18, 2018 | 9:39 pm

I was having dinner with two friends and one mentioned that her office space was being converted to a new type of shared space. She was not happy with the direction that this was heading but did not have a lot of time to look for options. I provided a three-way email introduction to one of my PowerCore colleagues who provides amazing shared space and let them start a discussion.

14. Pablo Blanco
    March 19, 2018 | 1:29 pm

I was having lunch with a close friend and she was in serious doubt about which health insurance policy would fit her better. Since I bought my health insurance through a member of powerCore.
    I told her I would send her a 3 way email introducing themselves.

15. Ann Grier
    March 19, 2018 | 3:03 pm

Recently over a dinner party a young woman at the table mentioned she had been looking on Zillow at condos for sale in Midtown. I asked her if she had a real estate agent. She said no, she was just seeing what was out there. I told her that I knew an experienced realtor who focused on buyers in the in-town market who could be a good resource and asked if I could forward his contact info. A day later I sent a 3-way e-mail, suggesting a casual meeting that I could facilitate.

16. Amy Metzger
    March 20, 2018 | 9:17 am

I was at a get together with friends and some were from the same neighborhood. One was talking about a recent rash of breakins in their neighborhood and I asked what had happened? Then I asked if they had a security system in her house or any that had been broken into. She said they had a system that came with the house but had never used it or had it activated with a company. I told them about Tony Hardy at Ackerman Security on my team who could convert their old system and provides a “seconds count” guarantee and gave her his number.

17. Mariell Coker
    March 20, 2018 | 10:53 am

I was having dinner with friends when I noticed one of them was groaning every move she made. She happens to be a plumber, so her mobility is important. She’s always busy and works long hours. With excitement I told her about Dr. Green with Caring Hands Mobile Chiropractic. The next morning I passed the referral and Dr. Green helped her tremendously the same day.

18. Brandon Welch
    March 20, 2018 | 11:53 am

I received a call from an embarrassed client who had received a criminal citation and needed help. As a lawyer with a business practice, I immediately referred the client to a trusted colleague who specializes in criminal defense. I passed the attorney’s number on the call so that the client could get immediate help.

19. Wes Pickelsimer
    March 20, 2018 | 1:30 pm

On a Monday morning around 10:00 I was at my desk responding to the mornings emails, enjoying coffee cup #3, and calendaring out the gaps in my week when I received a “hey” text from a friend. This was quickly followed by a text that they had just left their job. A brief pause and then another text – “help me with the severance agreement!!!!!”
    As a personal injury attorney, labor/employment/contract matters are outside of my wheelhouse. However, I knew just the guy – The Virginia Highlands team business attorney, Brandon Welch.
    I received the document from her and forwarded it to Brandon to look over, review, and provide his expert opinions. He was able to help my friend enter into the negotiations on a solid footing and full understanding.

20. Melanie Selcho
    March 20, 2018 | 5:46 pm

I received a high result from our Radon technician for a buyer’s Radon testing.

I know buyers don’t know what to do with those results, so I have a certified Radon Measurement specialist on staff. She always calls the buyer and their real estate agent when we get a result above the EPA’s action level.

Even though the buyer and agent did not ask for a mitigation referral, they were given the contact info for Paul Sather. He is the “good news” when you get high Radon test results. We are able to talk proactively with our clients to save them the hassle of having to shop around for a specialist while they are in the time crunch of their due diligence period.

21. ARTHUR THOMAS
    March 21, 2018 | 10:32 am

I was at an Alternative Treatment Clinic a few years ago and a small electrical fire started and I was able to put it out. The owner and I have maintained a pretty good relationship. Last week I was there again for a follow up and Teresa and I were discussing what I was doing. The challenges she faces with insuring her business. Because I and familiar with the challenge, I’ve placed it before. I told her that Mariell Coker would be a great person to help manage finding the right Business and Professional Liability insurance. I told here that I would send an email introducing Mariell to help

22. Richard Perano
    March 21, 2018 | 11:18 am

I serve on the Board of The Community School for Autism in Decatur. At the last Board Meeting, a request was made by Dave, the Executive Director, for anyone who might know someone in the Health Care field who could help with employee benefits. I said I knew Maggie O’Brien on our team who provides an array of healthcare services thru her company Zentripy Global. I arranged a three-way meeting in Dave’s office at the school. The meeting went very well and Dave has subsequently asked Maggie to act as a consultant in reviewing all three of their healthcare and payroll vendors; to see if there is a better more efficient way of doing what they are doing; and to act as the point person for healthcare and payroll services for the The Community School. Maggie is currently in the process of doing the review.

23. Jessie Hayden
    March 21, 2018 | 11:48 am

I was in the barn where I board my horse. One of the barn staff was telling a fellow boarder about her father’s recent car accident, in which her father had sustained injuries and his truck was totaled. I immediately told her about Marlon Rhine, the PI attorney on my PowerCore team. Then, I ran out to the car and urged Angela to call Marlon as soon as possible. I also followed up with a 3-way email when I got home to introduce Angela to Rhine. Angela’s father followed up with Marlon, so I’m betting this story will have a happy ending!

24. Jim Hilber
    March 21, 2018 | 1:57 pm

At a recent evening networking event, I was speaking to the President of a local business association. He was commenting on the unique nature of my business cards and we began discussing marketing messages, logos and products. He asked that famous question “Who do you trust with that?” I immediately responded with “Deana at Hummingbird Graphics.” They were able to connect and do business on a small project he wanted and do business. He was very happy. So happy, in fact, that he approved a different much larger order for some marketing swag in the form of Bluetooth Speakers for his associations upcoming Golf Tournament! In all cases we need confidence in the people we refer to but even more so when you are referring to a Gateopener that will lead to future opportunities. I was happy to be involved with this referral that fell squarely on the shoulders of the PowerCore business referral model.