Referral Trigger for the week of April 9
Topic: Element: Behavior | Topic: Green = WHO + HOW
Conversation lead by the Woodstock Team  (100% responses achieved)

We recognize referrals.
The tool for recognition is a behavior.
Body language is a behavior.
Show us the body language your best clients have when you first meet them.

• Are they feet-on-the-desk casual, or shoulders-back-confident?
  • How are they dressed when they get the blinding flash of
    an obvious need for you?

{Researchers use the catch phrase “What kind of shoes do they wear?”}

24 Responses to What to SAY to GET Referrals: Element: Behavior | Topic: Green = WHO + HOW -Body Language
  1. Bruce Goldstein
    April 6, 2018 | 9:10 am

When in conversation, I’m on alert for one facial expression, glassy eyes. It tells me 2 things: One, I am talking; and two, I need to talk in simpler terms. When I’m talking, I’m not hearing their needs, which is essential because they don’t want to be sold, they want solutions to their problems. The sooner I can put a kindling question out there, the sooner I can assess their needs. And secondly, if they have glassy eyes I am probably telling them how to build the watch when they only need to know what time it is and I’m not being helpful and winning business.

2. Brian Dubuc
    April 6, 2018 | 9:45 am

My main referral source is real estate agents. It can be difficult to form a relationship with an agent because most already have a closing attorney they work with. When talking to an agent, listen for their frustrations with the closing process. Ask them how they are working out those issues. As they answer, you will see them begin to relax as they vent. That is the time to refer me as a closing attorney who can help them get paid.

3. Tommy Schlosser
    April 6, 2018 | 10:58 am

Feet up at home all day on the weekends watching a premium cable sports package, but NEVER, EVER does he put his feet on desks at work!

Peter is in shorts, flips flops, and a sports jersey at Costco have just bought a trampoline when he needs to speak to me, because even with one of those screen wall guards one of the neighboor girls WILL get hurt.

He wants to talk with me because he does not want to be pacing the floor after someone gets hurt, he wants to hand the child’s parents my business card and go back to watching his sports package… it’s the ONLY thing he watches on Cable and Saturday is the ONLY day he gets to do NOTHING!

Tommy Schlosser
    770-855-3113 TXT Friendly

4. Melissa Hayes
    April 6, 2018 | 12:38 pm

During my personal and financial conversations with customers I watch their facial expressions. During the conversation I can tell when the customer leans forward, makes more eye contact, eyes light up a little and starts asking questions that I have hit on a subject that interest them. Once I have their interest I am able to gear them toward a product or referral to another PowerCore team member.

5. Scott Virani
    April 6, 2018 | 4:50 pm

When you see a mom with a family of children and she keeps shaking her head. This family had started as just a couple, but now it’s grown to a family of five. Space is now a big problem.

Ask her if this home is too small for her now? If she says yes tell her you know the realtor that will help her find a dream home for her family. Someone who will take the time out to not put them in any kind of home but the one that actually fits her her family.

Give her my card and introduce me thru a 3 way email. All families at some time or another need to upsize, but since this probably one of the most expensive purchases you have to make, you need the have someone that you can trust and will always on your side to get you the best fit for your family.

6. Jessie Hayden
    April 9, 2018 | 10:11 am

When I first meet with my best clients, I typically notice two things about their body language:(1) they are leaning toward me – listening and speaking with a keen focus and intensity, and (2) they are dressed professionally.

In short, my best clients aren’t dreamers; they are do-ers. They don’t just talk the talk. They walk the walk!

7. Robert Mitchell
    April 10, 2018 | 12:30 pm

As a printer who handles bulk and presort mailings, I’m looking for tired eyes of someone who was up late folding and stuffing mailers when they should have been with their family.

8. Phil Ciccone
    April 10, 2018 | 12:47 pm

Our customers are a mix of casual and business minded folks. Since we have revenues that scale from only a hundred dollars a month up to fifty thousand a month, depending on the product sold, we are presented with a wide-range of customer types. Our personal approach tends to be more on the edge. We tend to respond, and act more casual, and treat the people we meet as not only as potential customers, but someone who we may meet on the ball field, or in the dog park. Our company philosophy is to break-down the typical ways “things are done” and present new, refreshing, ways to do the “same ole’ thing”

9. Joseph Dollar
    April 10, 2018 | 12:50 pm

As mortgage adviser, I’m looking for what is driving the desire more a loan. For a person purchasing, is it a school district, job change or family change. Look to cater to that driving force and find a solution to meet their goals.

10. Rachel Rollins
    April 10, 2018 | 12:51 pm

Working for a tax and accounting firm, I notice most of our best clients tend to walk into our office with a deer in headlights look. They feel overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin. When they leave our office, they feel a sense of relief. Our client’s dress varies widely. We’ve seen an attorney in his best suit to a construction worker in his dirty boots.

11. Michael Harrison
    April 10, 2018 | 2:11 pm

When I first meet my clients, there body language and facial expression is usually a mix of excitement and nervousness. This is especially true for first time home buyers as this is their experience buying and home and there first home inspection. When I am doing the review with them after the inspection, I pay even more attention to their body language. There are usually a lot of items I write up and to them, many times, they start feeling overwhelmed. If the items I am going over are “normal write ups”, I make sure to take the time to let them know these are normal to help ease their minds and explain “welcome to home ownership”!

12. Nicole Good
    April 10, 2018 | 3:28 pm

My best clients usually have smiles on their faces when I first meet them. They are usually beaming and grinning from ear to ear when they walk in the door. They are excited to start their new business or they are excited about getting a new commercial policy and saving some money on their current premium. They often leave happier than when initially met because now they have a deeper understanding of how they are protected in their business. I have often learned that a business owner often wears whatever they please. They will come in wearing jeans and a dirty t-shirt or in full business attire.

13. Sheila Johnson
    April 10, 2018 | 4:46 pm

As a realtor, I see folks in many different scenarios. It could be a very excited first time homebuyer who is happy and hanging on every word. Or it could be a family member of someone who has just passed and they are handling the sale of property for the estate. In that case, it would be a weary usually overwhelmed person looking for guidance and help.

14. James George
    April 10, 2018 | 9:22 pm

During my warm-up with the customer I want to find out if they are being monitored by another company, this will tell me the system is operational. We then discuss why I am here and let them speak answering certain questions that allows me to listen and determine which security plan best fits their need and budget. It is very important that the customer is involved in building the security system with me,this gives the customer ownership in the system.

15. James George
    April 10, 2018 | 9:29 pm

Once meeting the customer, the warm up is important to find out if they are currently being monitored by another company and the reason your there. It is very important to walk the home with the customer, if a system is already there you want to make sure the coverage is good. If the home does not have a system there then you want to walk and make suggestions, always making sure the customer has ownership in their system.

16. Suzanne Hudson
    April 11, 2018 | 5:09 pm

Let’s face it. Women can get downright giddy when you start talking to them about a new bag, purse or pair of shoes! Soooo, I love the look of excitement I get from them and their giddy body language.

The body language for someone who is lost in what they need to get for someone as a gift is quite sad. Often, it’s downright pitiful. However, as we talk, I see their frown go upside down as they realize that they are not only going to be getting a great gift for someone, they are also going to trump everyone else’s gift and be the new favorite sister, friend or colleague when it comes to gift giving!

This look is often what evolves when I work with a new hostess who has never had a successful party but realizes as we are working as a team on her party, it is going to be the best one she has ever had and she is about to score big with some awesome FREE and discounted products! Just ask my recent $1,200 Hostess Dianna Shirey what her body language is when she thinks of all her goodies. She gets downright giddy!

17. Callie Mahaffey
    April 11, 2018 | 9:01 pm

We enter all of our customers homes or places of business, so it is very important for us to build a sense of trust and comfort before we even arrive. When we speak with them on the phone, we are very clear as to exactly how their experience with us will be. They know our names and our time of arrival before we get there. Once we arrive, it’s much easier to read their body language. Many times, plumbing problems can lead to stress and anxiety, so some of our best customers are VERY glad to see us, and they are ushering us inside, ready to have their problem fixed. Most of our best customers greet us with a smile.

18. JULIE BUCAR
    April 11, 2018 | 10:07 pm

When I first meet with a referral, people are very skeptical regarding what is our products are. They find it hard to believe that it is food and has a food label on it. When I begin to explain and educate them about the power of whole food and the connection between nutrition and disease, they begin to relax and listen to what I am teaching them. Once they check out the research and realize that this is whole food nutrition, that skeptical look changes to amazement they begin to ask me more questions and want to keep learning more!

19. Michelle Quay
    April 12, 2018 | 10:44 am

My best clients typically are leaning in, engaged in the conversation to learn more. Sometimes initially they are guarded but when you get people to talk about themselves they start to get engaged by leaning in and interacting.

20. Marc Replogle
    April 12, 2018 | 12:54 pm

I can pinpoint neither how someone is dressed nor their personal disposition (like most, my clients come in all manner of speaking), but I can tell you that prospective clients will furrow their eyebrows, wondering if they actually need an attorney, when you begin discussing a new business venture or your own estate documents. They are second guessing whether the online service they used or their attempts to do things themselves (set up LLC, do their own will, prepare their own contract, etc., simply to save a little money) were not only sufficient, but also legally enforceable.

If your friend Joe likes to do things himself, and he has any doubts about whether he did things legally enforceable and as he intended, then he needs an attorney to either review his work, complete the job, or fix his errors. If he is not an attorney, he should not be practicing law. It will likely cost him in the long run.

21. Kyle Prinzbach
    April 12, 2018 | 1:40 pm

My best clients have one thing in common, the cool confidence of knowing exactly what they want. High up on their list of priorities for their project is a dedication to craftsmanship and a high quality finished product. They might still have on their suit and tie after arriving home from their high-pressure job or be wearing their favorite team’s jersey watching the big game, dreaming of the perfect man-cave in their basement, or the perfect kitchen for entertaining their guests at the dinner parties they love to host.

22. Dana Callan
    April 12, 2018 | 2:49 pm

Depending on the situation, my referrals could be aggravated,frustrated,or even unhappy, but they could also be very excited. When they are having issues with their current bank they are usually frowning and their body language will set off a negative vibe. However, those who are looking to make a purchase they have been waiting for, they could be smiling, dressed up, or maybe even dancing. Never judge a book by it’s cover! Open it to see what’s inside. Some of my best customers wear jeans and dirty work books!!!

23. Cheryl Good
    April 12, 2018 | 5:12 pm

My smartly dressed Best Client is the “soon-to-be newly wed couple” looking to start their own policy, they are either combining their households and have a lot of questions about that, OR they may be that young couple straight out of college coming off their parents policy and need direction in the best way to put together a policy based on their budget. I address their questions and concerns, earning their confidence as we go. Quick honest responses and helping them understand; as an independent agent, I can make recommendations to fill in their GAPS in coverage and still offer them options with multiple companies. They get the final say and have someone to lead and direct them along the way. Leaning in and asking lots of questions is a great sign they are ready to move forward. Finally, Walking out relaxed and confident in their policy… knowing it will carry them through if and when a claim comes along.

24. John "The Bearded Roofer'" Immke
    April 13, 2018 | 3:45 pm

As I am walking up to the home of a referral I am usually met at the door by the owner. They are anxious and usually talk about the damage really fast. They are concerned about the damage to the roof or the property inside. They are eager to let me inside and look at the affected areas.

I am able to calm them down and walk them through the process of restoring their home to a pre-loss condition. Sometimes this requires the involvement of the insurance company. Not a lot of home owners have been through this process and it can be kinda scary. I become their personal tour guide and explain everything each step of the way. I am truly honored that I am referred to people’s homes and they trust me to complete the work on their biggest and most important investment, their home.