Referral Trigger for the week of April 16
Topic: Element: Behavior | Topic: Green = WHO + HOW
Conversation lead by the Brookhaven Team   (100% responses achieved)

We recognize referrals.
The tool for recognition is a behavior.Tone of voice is a behavior.

• What tone of voice do your best prospects have when they first
    reach out to you?
  • If they reach out by email, what is the tone of their words?
  • Are they clipped and quick, or expressive and friendly?
  • Is the whole message in the subject line, or do they begin
    with a greeting?

21 Responses to What to SAY to GET Referrals: Element: Behavior | Topic: Green = WHO + HOW -Tone of Voice
  1. Jessica Matthews
    April 13, 2018 | 10:24 am

Our best prospects in the web design + marketing world of Classic City Consulting:

Have a professional, knowledgeable tone – they use some industry jargon that shows they’ve done their research; could include words like SEO, CSS, HMTL, Java(Script), WordPress, content management, (mobile) responsiveness), application development, etc.

Keep a busy schedule, so interactions are brief – they send an email stating their request clearly or ask for a 15 min phone call to share their story; they’re usually fully booked with meetings and appointments, so they get straight to the point right away

Greet simply “Hello Jessica” and sign off with a custom email signature – I can find their job title, cell number, office address, website, and logo below their name; they like to get in touch a variety of ways to progress the conversation.

Choose to work with people they LIKE – they’re looking for a company that “gets them” and does business with similar values of friendliness, family, and efficiency.

2. Peg Griffith
    April 13, 2018 | 10:51 am

My best clients are those who want to dig deep. That usually occurs after several sessions. The average number of sessions is 6-8; the most so far is around 50, and he comes in every week. Most come in every other week.
    * When they first call, clients often sound sad, maybe crying, or are hesitant.
    Some say “I’ve never done this before” and want details on cost, #of sessions, etc. Some just blurt “are you taking new clients” or “I want to make an appt.” For those, I try to gently back them up and ask a few questions so they get a feeling of who I am, and some immediate relief from talking to SOMEONE.
    * Via email or website, they may list a few facts “I have anxiety or depression” or “husband and I have poor communication skills; argue over money, parenting, and family planning.” Some tell me very little, others provide extensive information.
    *Word choice – via email or phone- tells me a lot. Ex: “my life is out of control; I’m a wreck” tells me very different things from “we don’t communicate well.”
    *After the first session most say “this was OK. Can I make another appt?”

3. Shaun St. Hill
    April 13, 2018 | 11:30 am

My best prospects have a tone of fear and loathing when they reach out to me (usually first contact is via email). They have tried to order or get assistance from the 800 number on their telecom bill and realized they couldn’t get past the voice prompts and hung up in frustration. They begin with a short greeting and then we set up a time for me to talk through getting them faster internet and better voice service.

4. James Farren
    April 13, 2018 | 11:33 am

My best prospects in Residential Real Estate:

They come into the door with a joyful and excited tone of voice. They have a good idea of what they want and are glad to be partnered with a top team of agents!

If they reach out by email, what is the tone of their words?
    They are thoughtful and gracious in their tone.

Are they clipped and quick, or expressive and friendly?
    They lead a busy life, so their word choice is short and to the point, without being cold. They express what their wants needs and desires are to frame the conversation for our meetings.

Is the whole message in the subject line, or do they begin with a greeting?
    My best prospects will have a 2-3 word synopsis of the conversation in the subject line and a warm greeting to start the message.

5. Gina Michael
    April 13, 2018 | 2:10 pm

What tone of voice do your best prospects have when they first
    reach out to you?

New patients are often questioning, “Can you help me?” They are often relieved to meet an acupuncturist to help them with their health concerns having heard about the positive effects of acupuncture or had acupuncture somewhere else and just haven’t connected with someone nearby.

If they reach out by email, what is the tone of their words?
    Friendly.

Are they clipped and quick, or expressive and friendly?
    Most patients are friendly but are sometimes in pain or not feeling well, so they may seem frustrated, tired and uncomfortable.

Is the whole message in the subject line, or do they begin
    with a greeting?

If contacting me by email they’re usually to the point and just looking to schedule a convenient time to come in.

6. Jessie Hayden
    April 13, 2018 | 2:10 pm

When my best prospects first reach out to me, their tone of voice is somewhat tentative, subdued, and monotone. I use a strategic set of open-ended questions to get our conversation moving, and then the prospects open up. Their tone of voice becomes lilting and animated.

If clients reach out to me by email, their email message is usually short with a few questions embedded like, “Is this the kind of thing you do?” “Can you help me with this?” I would describe the tone of their email as tentatively seeking, hopeful, and friendly. And they usually begin with a greeting.

Jessie

7. Burnell Pitcher
    April 13, 2018 | 2:16 pm

My best prospects in the IT Support and Services space

The tone of voice on first contact – Interesting is that they are very guarded as they have made up their mind that IT services are going to be very expensive. As the conversation continues and they realize we want to be a partner not a salesman the shift in tone happens quickly to being less guarded.

Email interaction with our best prospects – The wording, though polite, is short and to the point of the services they require.

The heading of the original email on contact – My best prospects will be asking to confirm if we can provide the services they require. The requests tend to be polite queries with a invite to reach out to them my earliest convenience. The heading themselves tend to be short right to the point of what they need.

8. Ben Ragin
    April 13, 2018 | 2:50 pm

The tone that my clients generally have is that of concern. They’re often concerned that they don’t have proper coverage, concerned that they’re not with the best insurance company, and concerned that they are paying for things they don’t need. During our initial conversation i ease those concerns. Having the ability to work with multiple insurance companies allows me to help ease these concerns for clients. After we finish the process the clients concerns are gone.

9. Robert Steinhardt
    April 13, 2018 | 3:35 pm

•What tone of voice do your best prospects have when they first reach out to you?

When a prospect first reaches out to me, they’re generally looking for someone who is more knowledgeable than the person they’ve been using. They’re tired of being overlooked or made to wait to hear back. So they’re confident in their business and in their tone of voice, but not necessarily confident in the help they were getting.

•If they reach out by email, what is the tone of their words?

Generally it’s quick and to the point, time is money for these people and taxes are just something that they have to deal with.

• Are they clipped and quick, or expressive and friendly?

Sometimes harried, and sometimes take their time, just depends on the person

•Is the whole message in the subject line, or do they begin with a greeting?

I’ve never seen someone who cares about who they are speaking to send the entire message in the subject line. Always important to be specific, impossible to do if everything is in the subject line.

10. Marlon Rhine
    April 13, 2018 | 3:38 pm

More often than not, my potential clients have a tone indicating confusion. Following an accident, there are many questions swirling in their minds. Who will pay for their vehicle? Who will pay for their medical bills? What will they be responsible for? Additionally, there are also many “unknown” parties that have also typically attempted to reach them. Such parties include insurance companies, sometimes the police, tow companies, and others that they’ve not otherwise had much experience speaking with. It can be overwhelming. My best clients recognize the need for independent, trustworthy advice and decide to seek it.

11. Brad
    April 14, 2018 | 2:18 pm

The tone of my best clients is understanding they need someone to help with their financial matters.

If they reach out by email, it is usually friendly and trying to setup a call or meet in a certain time frame.

In the beginning people are quick, but usually to get all the documents for a financial plan and to meet with couples, takes some time.

Usually the subject line has referral or financial planning.

Once we go over the financial plan, the prospects are happy to go over their financial picture.

12. Raquel Crump
    April 15, 2018 | 10:51 pm

My best prospects are in-house legal counsel and HR professionals that deal directly with their workforce. In emails, the tone of words of my best prospects is one of relief. After an initial phone conversation that lays out a plan of action, the email is one of gratitude and excitement to get the problem resolved or prevent other problems from occurring. The email is usually quick and friendly!

13. Dr. Karen Tedeschi
    April 16, 2018 | 3:51 pm

The tone of voice that most of my patients use is a combination of curiosity and caution. If they have been to several doctor’s or other types of healthcare, they are cautious because they are tired of being sick and tired. Often times, whether by email or phone, they often will ask about our success rate with particular disease processes, like arthritis, for example. Our education begins right there, in telling them that we look at each person individually and design a healthcare process for them based on what we find through labs and exams.
    If they are clipped and quick, my front desk often puts them at ease right away. Once they begin to feel better, they always become more friendly and expressive.

14. Dr. Donna Goodwin
    April 17, 2018 | 3:18 am

What tone of voice do your best prospects have when they first
    reach out to you?

Most new patients have a mixture of hope and caution when they call to describe their issues and ask if I can help them with chiropractic care. I let each prospective patient know that I look at him/her as an individual and will focus on his/her specific issues.

If they reach out by email, what is the tone of their words?

Usually friendly.

Are they clipped and quick, or expressive and friendly?

Someone who is in pain is looking for relief, so the words are usually friendly and also to the point, such as, “Can you help me with a back problem I’ve had for several years?”

Is the whole message in the subject line, or do they begin
    with a greeting?

If the contact is by email, the subject line is often, “NEED HELP!” and they’re most often to the point and just looking to schedule a time to come in that is as soon as possible.

Dr. Donna B. Goodwin
    Blue Ribbon Chiropractic
    678-867-2305
    DrDonna@blueribbonchiro.com

15. Mark Biller
    April 17, 2018 | 8:30 am

Mary is a new mother and is concerned with her home security as her husband travels for his job.Upon meeting her she is timid and shows signs of apprehension when questioned about what she really needs. i suggest we sit o the couch and go over what will make her feel secure.
    What I really am after is getting her to clam down and open up to me as the particular products we will install in her home are based on what will make her feel secure. This technique gets the desired results in most cases.

16. Jonathan Brezel
    April 17, 2018 | 10:29 am

Being a family law attorney most people are usually going through a rough time when they are contacting me. They are typically upset and/or scared. I find it very important to greet them with a calm and patient voice. I want them to know that I am confident that I can help them and I want to reassure them that they will be fine.

Most people contact me by phone. The few people who contact me through email are typically very short and discreet. I prefer phone communication with potential clients because it helps them communicate on a more personal level.

17. Joe Wilson
    April 17, 2018 | 1:18 pm

In commercial real estate new prospective clients are generally business owners looking to grow their business through adding new locations or in search of larger facilities in which to operate. They are no nonsense and direct in manner.
    They frequently will talk about the strategy of their business growth, or the problems of managing a growing enterprise. They have busy schedules. In most cases they are generally contacted though referrals.

​Joe Wilson
    Building Investment Broker
    Office Building Brokers, an affiliate of
    KW Commercial Peachtree Road
    Office: (678)534-7500 x106
    The Office Building Experts©
    804 Town Blvd., Suite A2040
    Atlanta, GA 30319

18. Scott McMahan
    April 17, 2018 | 4:16 pm

Prospects usually come in two varieties for me. First, there is a person who has never hired a lawyer before. Second, there is the person who has hired a lawyer before.

The first is usually confused, agitated, and exasperated. They often use the phrase “this isn’t fair” or “they can’t get away with this.” They also often say “I just don’t know what to do any more.”

The second has gone through litigation before and has a firmer understanding of the issues they face. However, if they are reaching out to me, they were not happy with their prior representation. They tend to be reserved and a little suspicious. I would say their tone borders on “wary.”

Emails tend to have a lot of exclamation points and can have quite a bit of detail. They are expressive, but I would not call them friendly. They often times want to get right to the point and tell their side of the story. So people’s emails usually tend to have a subject line describing the matter and their emails dive right into the details.

Pleasantries come later.

19. Beth Smith
    April 17, 2018 | 10:22 pm

As a professional organizer, often when folks finally reach out to me they are stressed and embarrassed as things have may have gotten out of hand. This often exhibits itself in hesitating words, unsure communication.

My potential customer wants a beautiful home and is sometimes embarrassed she doesn’t have that so she often hides behind an email. Emails are often are clipped and it takes a lot of nudging to move them forward due to the embarrassment factor and concerns about spending the $ to have a professional get their house in order. Usually, once I reassure them that the initial consult is free and we offer a “no judgment guarantee” they relax and start to loosen up.

20. Jesse Long
    April 19, 2018 | 8:07 pm

When they first reach out, our prospects sound curious and skeptical. They’ve become accustomed to putting up with technology frustrations and want to see if there is a better way.

Often the initial contact is via phone, they want to speak with the person who they can call with issues and will be their advocate going forward.

The initial contact from a prospect is direct and inquisitive, they are diligently looking for the best provider to be their IT department.

Since we do not advertise, the first line is their friend or family member’s name who told them about Milner.

21. Brandon Park
    April 20, 2018 | 4:43 pm

My best prospects are eager to speak with me, and their tone is of excitement and curiousity.

If they reach out by email, what is the tone of their words?

When they reach out by email they are asking for my professional guidance on the whole pre-approval process and what loan options are available to them.

Are they clipped and quick, or expressive and friendly?
    Is the whole message in the subject line, or do they begin with a greeting?

They are expressive, friendly, and typically put something like “inquiring about pre-approval” in the subject line.