Leverage: Duplication

Referral Trigger for the week of June 11
What to DO to GIVE Referrals
Builder’s Tool: Maintenance | Purpose: Leverage ​

Giving a referral leverages understanding.

Referring is the most effective way to teach clients how to refer their contacts to us.

Tell the story of one referral you made and share why the tool you used to make the triangle connection – {email, phone, lunch} – was the most effective method in that situation, for all three of you.

6 Responses to Leverage: Duplication
  1. Clay Jeffreys
    June 8, 2018 | 9:49 am

In regards to gate openers specifically, the best way to introduce me to a real estate agent is a three way coffee or lunch. When someone else introduces me to an agent over a lunch, they are basically saying “I feel it is so important that you meet Clay Jeffreys that I took time out of my day to ensure it happened.” I try and model this behavior when I introduce team members to gate openers, so I always look to set up a three way lunch when making a three way gate opener introduction.

2. Wendy Kinney
    June 8, 2018 | 9:59 am

When I think there’s affinity marketing potential, I invite both people to my place for dinner. The casual “get-to-know-you” conversation lets each of them know whether there’s a values match.

More important, perhaps, it allows them time to find out what they have in common before they talk about business.

Sometimes my matches work, [two people found they’d each had the same boss, 20 years apart! and went on to do great things together] sometimes they learn they really aren’t a business fit. [I don’t think it’s my role to determine that: my responsibility is to create the opportunity for them to decide.

One of my favorites was a guy who wanted to go to lunch with me … again … so he could tell me more about himself. I said, “Great, and I’ll bring Jack to introduce you to, who will you bring to introduce to me?” He paused, looked me right in the eye, and said, “I’d have to think about that.”

Interpreting that to mean he wouldn’t invite anyone, I invited three other people. There were six of us at R. Thomas for lunch, each of the five of them made a strong connection. I got the benefit of being responsible for good things for all five people, and evaded another “story of my life”!

*{My romantic intros never work. If I suggest a date for you, just say no!}

3. Chad Meisner
    June 8, 2018 | 11:21 am

I can’t tell you the number of times that I’ve had clients, friends, etc. tell me that they gave my name to someone that was asking for a financial planner and I never heard from them. So now I always ask that they refer me via three-way email. This way I’m sure to have the prospects email address so I can follow up on my own if I don’t hear from them in a reasonable amount of time. People get busy, they forget, or the timing might not be right at that moment in time. I’ve converted prospects as far out as 3-5yrs by staying in touch through newsletters, drip campaigns, etc. So get their email or phone and keep in touch, don’t rely on the old can and string, “I know a guy”.

4. Marianne Gudina
    June 8, 2018 | 5:55 pm

One client really needed to form and LLC. The business had outgrown just being a sole proprietorship. He agreed.
    I said that I know a very great business attorney who specializes to assist clients to set up the correct legal entity for a business.
    He agreed, so we called the attorney and he answered.
    They agreed to meet so I was at the office and sent a 3-way email to both of them with contact information.
    The attorney ended up setting up 2 different buisneses
    for my client and several of his friends used him too.

Take action there and then when an opportunity opens up.
    Make a phone call or sent a 3 way email.

5. Susan Morley
    June 11, 2018 | 4:41 pm

I just made a text referral to Geoffrey Horney. My friend needed someone to put in a fence and I remember how much Doug Durham loved his fence (I got to see Geoffrey do a 7-minute on it) that Geoffrey did. I also know Geoffrey prefers text as that’s what he put on a referral slip he passed to me. Guess what? My friend prefers texting, too!

6. Shaun St. Hill
    June 12, 2018 | 8:27 am

While it is true that each interaction is different, the most effective method for use in the referral triangle is definitely email. This way all parties have a record going forward: contact information, reason for the connection etc.