Fit: Timing

Referral Trigger for the week of July 9
What to DO to GET Referrals
Builder’s Tool: Tape Measure | Purpose: Fit​
Conversation lead by the: Alpharetta Team

AND Timing is a measure of fit.

Share the story of a prospect you met when the timing just wasn’t optimal – tell us why.

Then tell us what changed to make the timing right. Share what they said when they came back, ready to work with you.

15 Responses to Fit: Timing
  1. Kerry Singley
    July 9, 2018 | 3:33 pm

Money, It is the only thing that keeps them from doing upgrades when they want them. cash flow.

2. Lisa Whitstine
    July 9, 2018 | 3:38 pm

In most cases a prospect who may want to purchase insurance from me will not be able to because of tickets and accidents. I file their information in a tickler file and call them 30 days before the ticket or accident is to fall off their record and requote them with a much lower rate that then becomes a win-win for both the prospect and myself.
    They save money and I get a new policyholder. The prospect always thanks me for my follow through.

3. Scott Jones
    July 9, 2018 | 3:42 pm

Many prospects/clients have different times of the year that are busier than others. When that’s the case it’s unlikely that “now” is a good time. I always track that in my CRM tool and circle back with them after the busy season. Clients appreciate patience and not being pushed when they’re not ready. If too much time passes I’ll find something relevant to them (article, social media post, etc.) that I think would be helpful based on previous interactions.

4. Butch Nicholson
    July 10, 2018 | 12:32 am

For our larger opportunities it is money. Often, we tell homeowners wait until they have the resourse to do it right. On smaller jobs it is “when can you start”. We are 2-4 weeks now on small jobs and that is if the weather cooperates. Sometimes, the homeowner is willing to accept lower quailty work to have it completed faster.

5. Cathy Jarvis
    July 10, 2018 | 10:28 am

There may many factors that are included in the decision making. Moving a banking relationship is not an easy task.
    The Business may be going thru a shift, changing partners, changing target market or personal life changes.
    I set a reminder to call back each quarter and touch base. Most of the time, my calls went to voicemail. I’d leave a message to “just check” in on them and see how xyz was going. One of those touches was perfect timing. The current bank was making changes that were not favorable to the prospect. The prospect called me over the weekend. We met on Monday and began the process of transferring the relationship to us.

6. Dr. Haley Durham
    July 10, 2018 | 10:36 am

If a person isn’t in “pain”, they don’t have the interest in care. When the pain begins, the interest is sparked. My job is to teach each person the benefit of Chiropractic Care and how pain is your body’s last known way to tell you something is wrong. Just because you are out of pain doesn’t mean you are functioning/moving at 100%. Get checked out by a Doctor of Chiropractic! Save your body from experiencing pain and remember, age is just a number, not a diagnosis.

7. Jacob Andrews
    July 10, 2018 | 12:48 pm

I met with a couple who own and operate a non-profit in addition to two businesses. After providing our video production and photo services at one of their non-profit’s fundraising events, they met with one of my business partners and I to talk about scheduling another video project for one of their businesses.

After the details of what the video would entail were worked out, we looked to schedule a date about two weeks out from our meeting date due to some construction on their property. As the two weeks came and went, the shoot had to be pushed back as the cabin that was being constructed ended up taking longer than expected.

After about an extra month of waiting for the cabin’s construction they were then able to commit to a time and informed me of their eagerness to progress with our original plans.

8. Karen Williams
    July 10, 2018 | 3:29 pm

Many times a person will know that their family is in trouble, but what you know is better than the unknown. So they may intitally come in to understand their options….but they won’t come back until either they, or their partner is ready. This is demonstrated by one or the other filing an action in court,or there are times that the police move the decision along. But absent the police, there has to be an acceptance that the present situation is worse than the possibilities available in the future. When they come back, either the other person has filed, or they have decided “I’ve had enough, and I am ready”.

9. Brenda Malik
    July 11, 2018 | 12:17 am

As long as the cleaning is passable in an office no one says it’s time for a change. Most people don’t want to go through the challenge of finding a new service. My job is to educate the client on the health benefits of a cleaner office. We discuss getting the dust out of corners, cleaning the cobwebs from ceilings, strip and waxing floors and cleaning carpets. Once clients see the difference an office make over makes, they can’t go back to average cleaning.

10. Ryan Williams
    July 11, 2018 | 10:32 am

At The Websuasion Group, the custom cloud and mobile application development we provide can be a significant investment for a business. Even when the business owner knows the new system will cut cost or generate additional revenue beyond the investment, it often takes time for them to make the decision to move forward.

Often, the hesitation isn’t so much around price-point but around understanding the range of possibilities and that organization’s best use of the system we are designing.

I often find myself educating business owners over time. For some, that may mean successive meetings over weeks or even months. With each meeting, the business owner gains a deeper understanding of the process and possibilities.

When the timing is right, the prospective client is excited to get started, understands how the development process will work and has realistic expectations on the results once completed.

11. Alberto Sapoznik
    July 12, 2018 | 2:00 pm

In my business, timing is VERY important! AS over 90% of my business is based on leases, and the one thing they all have in common is a definite end (or termination) date.

So if I meet someone, and they are in the 2nd year of a 5 year lease, there is very little I can do to help them with their plans, whether they are expanding or contracting, commercial leases are fully enforceable.

The only thing we can possibly do, is talk to their current landlord, and see if they have another space, that might work better for them, and that can (and has) happen(ed). I once moved a tenant in their 2nd year to a larger space within the same property, to accommodate to fast growth. Good problem!

12. Doug Wheeler
    July 12, 2018 | 3:51 pm

One of my stories are when I had a person that had not upgraded the website in over 3.5 years. When we did upgrade it they could make changes on the website in the front end. That is how much the websites have changed. You can now make changes in the front end. That is cool!

13. Corbin Cook
    July 13, 2018 | 12:37 pm

Good timing is a function of finances and the desire to make changes. On more than one occasion I’ve had the conversation working together and the finances not been available to work with them using all of my tools. I have a strategy session process that can give them a good basis for working on transformation on their own until their ready to engage on a deeper level.

14. Mason Hardin
    July 13, 2018 | 12:59 pm

In the world of Tax, timing is everything. Timing determines what income and expenses can be claimed and also if the return has been filed in a timely fashion.

Unfortunately tax is often the last thing on many peoples minds until tax time is right around the corner. By then it is often too late for us to help our clients make adjustments that would help them.

That’s why for many of our clients we try to set a time at the end of the year for tax planning so we can make those adjustments and suggestions. Making the next tax season less stressful for everyone involved.

15. Elwood Hemming, IV
    July 13, 2018 | 4:05 pm

I had a client call me to come wash their home and when I got there the house needed repairs as in the window where not even in the house. I told the client that I could not wash it with no windows. He asked if I could was around them. I then told him that was not an option, but after he had all his renovations done then the entire house could be washed but mean time that I could wash the pool deck and detached garage. Two months later he called me back and had the home washed and has used my company ever since 2012