Action: Battery

Referral Trigger for the week of August 13
What to SAY to GET Referrals
Builder’s Tool: Source of Power | Purpose: Action​
Conversation lead by the: Cumberland Team

and A cordless drill is powered by battery.

Battery power means untethered. Describe a part of your business that is unrestricted.

Tell us about one client who benefited from your ability to be flexible.

25 Responses to Action: Battery
  1. Clay Jeffreys
    August 10, 2018 | 9:11 am

I am working with a couple moving here from out west. They contacted me via email at 9pm on Wednesday night saying they were making an offer on Thursday morning and flying back out west Thursday evening. I texted him saying I could talk now if needed, but the morning was sufficient for him. We spoke and I got him prequalified and ready for the offer. As we moved along in the loan process, I would get loan documents, bank statements, pay stubs, etc. after the work day for them, which was after 9pm our time. In order to give them their “evening” to work on stuff we needed, I would go and review their documents. While we would all prefer to work in “normal” business hours, that said, I’m happy to work with my customers when they are available.

2. Jeff Goddard
    August 10, 2018 | 9:20 am

Being a mortgage banker has the added benefit of people assuming that we don’t work weekends. Customers are usually surprised when I offer to meet them on Saturday, encourage them to feel free to bring the kids with them, or give them my mobile number and tell them they can text me anytime.

Additionally, we frequently make requests for documentation from our clients that may not make sense to someone that’s not in the in the mortgage industry. Simply offering to meet them and assist them in understanding how to compile their profit and loss, or meet a non-tech savvy person to assist them in downloading bank statements can make a real difference in the customer experience.

3. Susan Morley
    August 10, 2018 | 10:24 am

Because I am trained in several areas of coaching (parenting, recovery, Whole30), I can help being a mom easier in the most pressing area then the next, and so on. My Motivational Interviewing skills allows my clients to achieve the goals THEY set in a supportive way.

4. Giri Iyer
    August 10, 2018 | 11:21 am

Many of our customers are not aware of the wide range of metallic and non-metallic options available in sizes, shapes, fonts, colors, finishes as well as cost trade-offs for some of these options. We have to be flexibly and find the balance between being creative vs overburdening them with options helping them design a sign that is right for them from a style/look as well as their wallet. We do this all day and every day. Flexibility and fast quality responses is where our business is at.

5. Karen DeRuyter
    August 13, 2018 | 4:00 pm

As a Home Stager, it is imperative that I remain flexible in working with clients when they are selling their home. I can do as little or as much as they like. An example of this would be when I helped Allison get her home ready to sell. She wanted to be very involved in the selection of the Art, Accessories and other Decor that needed to added to the home prior to the sale. Normally, I would do the selection. I worked collaboratively with her in her selections. This took more of my time, which I billed her for. She was happy because she was part of the process. In the end, I had a very satisfied client. The $2M property had 3 offers in less than a week and sold for over the listing price!

6. Tyrone Simmons
    August 14, 2018 | 8:54 am

My business strength is its flexibility. Sometimes customers need more than one trade or service. So the fact that we offer painting, pressure washing and carpentry helps us stay busy and keeps our customers from having to look for additional contractors.

7. Jon Ongtingco
    August 14, 2018 | 10:04 am

I bring an understanding of technology that most people do not have. I have often found myself onsite repairing a computer issue only to be asked if I worked on something else, like a phone system. My answer is usually yes. Most recently I was asked about an alarm sensor that had ceased to function. A quick examination showed a disconnected wire which took a few minutes to reconnect and returned their system to full function.

Jonathan Ongtingco
    678-213-2309

8. Joy Edwards
    August 14, 2018 | 4:51 pm

Being a good Family Law Attorney means that you have to be flexible to your client’s needs. Clients are sometimes too emotional to make good decisions for their situation. However, it is always important to respect their autonomy to take their case in the direction they want to. When I meet with a client, I give them all their possible options. Whatever path they want to take their case along, is the path we take. However, always along the way, I will remind them that they are not locked into an particular plan until the Judge signs an Order. We often re-evaluate whether their initial choice will yield the result they want. Sometimes, after they have had a cooling off period, they change their minds, other times they stay on the initial path. Either way, my office is equipped to handle their case efficiently and get them the best result.

9. Joy Edwards
    August 14, 2018 | 4:51 pm

10. Patrick Rodman
    August 15, 2018 | 7:54 am

Mercer Harris is a builder that we occasionally do new construction clean-ups for. Last year he called us wanting to know if we would clean a cabin that he had just finished building in North Carolina. Typically we only service the Atlanta and the surrounding suburbs. We asked what his cleaning budget was, agreed on a price, and then asked our employees if anyone was willing to work on the weekend. A few hours later and after finding a hotel for the crew to sleep in, Mercers job was scheduled and he did not have to roll the dice on a cleaning crew that he had never met cleaning a job that he couldn’t but eyes on without driving for four and a half hours. This is a one off but we were able to give our client piece of mind with a little bit of flexibility on our part.

11. Sam Thornton
    August 15, 2018 | 8:54 am

The main leeway that I have in my business is to put in more time. By that, I mean productive time like speaking to customers about their experiences with our company and helping them with questions and issues they may be having, or have had. Showing interest in them is the most productive way I have found to increase referral business for me. Sometimes it is difficult to set aside time to pick up that thousand pound phone.

12. Rhonda Sterrett
    August 15, 2018 | 9:41 am

Part of being a web developer for over 19 years I have to be flexible to the client’s needs. It is imperative to listen to the client’s needs and adapt the website solution to what meets their needs. Websites change frequently through the course of a business’ life cycle and the marketing and web development need to change according to the client’s needs.
    Rhonda Sterrett
    i360 Group
    Web Development and Internet Marketing

13. Bryan Holloway
    August 15, 2018 | 10:43 am

Many of my customers are shocked to discover that I am happy to meet them in their home and review their insurance coverage there. Most property insurance is sold over the phone, and an ever decreasing number agents can entertain customers in their office, but agents who will meet a customer in their home are the rarest of all. Often while inside the home, it’s much easier to discuss what needs to be insured because the agent is there to see the property in person. For so many of my customers, the flexibility to meet in their home is the reason why they choose me over other agents.
    Bryan Holloway
    Liberty Mutual Insurance

14. David Arnold
    August 15, 2018 | 11:07 am

In the competitive real estate market we are currently experiencing, being flexible is the only way I can be successful in helping buyers find and get a home under contract. Staying connected by text or email or phone depending on my client’s preference is a necessity. Janice and Timothy are both young professionals getting ready to start a family. They wanted to buy in an area and price range that typically sells within 2-3 days of hitting the market. Janice would text, Timothy would call . . . I would respond to both within minutes, and we would coordinate a time to go look at any new listing. We found a home they loved and submitted a strong offer on day one. Fortunately we beat the rush of offers and secured a contract for them. Quick communication and reaction won them their first home.

David Arnold
    RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
    770-312-5759

15. Shaun St. Hill
    August 15, 2018 | 2:42 pm

One thing always leads to another! We’re talking to a client in Hawaii and initially the conversation centered on cybersecurity but it quickly moved into discussing virtual desktop instances and favorite sushi restaurants! If you’re willing to have a conversation and not be stuck on what you’re trying to sell, the customer will take you where they want to go.

16. Catherine Black
    August 15, 2018 | 9:35 pm

For the majority of the families I work with, I’m not the sole therapy that they’re child is involved in. I am often part of the treatment team that include other treatments, like speech therapy, occupational therapy, ABA therapy, etc. However, during that initial phone call there is always an excitement when I mention that all music therapy services are home based. This means that I’m one less appointment that they have to drive across town for. I’m flexible in my service area, and while I do try to put clients that live close together on the same day, I also work with the family on what is best for their schedule. This means that they get more time at home as a family, and quicker results since the child is going to be more comfortable in their house than they are in a strange new place. Dianne has 3 kids, 2 with on the Autism spectrum. Since she doesn’t have to drive to music therapy and the sessions take place in her home, I’ve become part of the family. I’m able to see their routine, and know more about the clients as a result. I’ve helped be part of the exposure training for their service dog, which couldn’t have happened in an office environment. Now the kids are waiting for me at the door, ready to share tidbits from their day with Miss Cat.

17. Dr. Frank Patterson
    August 15, 2018 | 10:49 pm

Scheduling is one major area in my practice that remains flexible to give my patients the most benefit. When someone is scheduled for care it isn’t just based on when I have availability. My goal is to get my patients better as fast as possible. That’s why patients are scheduled based on three major criteria: their time constraints, their financial constraints, and most importantly how much therapy their brain and body can handle. Some brains are more delicate than others. Often I recommend an intensive period of multiple sessions a day. That’s because much like going gym the brain needs intensity and repetition to grow and solidify new connections. On the other hand, if their body, their schedule, or their monetary concerns make that level of intensity too much to handle, then I make a schedule to meet my patients’ needs and goals. I’m unrestricted by insurance that dictates standardized schedules so I can give my patients exactly what they need.

Dr. Frank Patterson
    Innova Brain Rehabilitation
    770-485-6554

18. Rhonda Jones
    August 15, 2018 | 11:00 pm

Clients are pleasantly surprised by how much time I invest in understanding their financial goals. I often receive the comment ‘no one has shown me that before’. Recently a client was weighing his options for paying off his mortgage before retirement. We reviewed his complete portfolio and discussed how each strategy will impact his long-term financial goals. He made the final decision and thanked me for taking the time to help him understand areas he wasn’t familiar with. My time is the unrestricted battery that helps clients power-up their financial goals.

19. Tessa Marie
    August 16, 2018 | 6:39 am

My clients enjoy flexibility in several areas while they work with me. From the location of their sessions to the scheduling of days and times for their session and viewing appointments.
    At times it can seem as if a family portrait together isn’t possible or a session for mom and her grown kids as everyone has their own schedule- but when everyone works towards finding a date that works and we all remember the importance of being in a photograph together- with flexibility to days I’m available and times I’m willing and able to create that photograph means it DOES happen rather than being put off yet again for another year.

20. Mark Chase
    August 16, 2018 | 7:33 am

Partnering with clients to solve the problem extends beyond just the numbers, and includes schedules and communication.
    Many clients can have challenging schedules, and I do my best to accommodate, from meeting at their office, to evening or Saturday meetings.

Mark Chase, CPA, CGMA
    Chase CPA, LLC
    678-234-9161

21. William Crumpler
    August 16, 2018 | 8:48 am

I have had the pleasure of helping one of my PowerCore associates secure Medicare & Long Term Care policies for his parents. I am very flexible when it comes to my time and travel. I actually flew to Washington DC to not only execute the policies but also explain in detail how the Medicare process with Supplement works.

22. Rebecca Brizi
    August 16, 2018 | 10:21 am

There are a few, loose, universal truths in business.

And there there are those practices that make each business unique.

When I work with a client I start with what is unique and important to that client, and we build a strategy to match. This is the opposite of having a set system to which each of my clients must conform. A solid understanding – balanced with guidance – as to appropriate goals and aspirations allows me to build strategic guidance that truly matches each client’s needs and values.

23. Louis Beltrami
    August 16, 2018 | 10:44 am

Real estate closings occur on weekdays when the banks are open to fund them. We once had a client who was in training at work during the two weeks when he had to close due to his contract. Doing a Power of Attorney was not an option. We agreed to do his closing on a Saturday, when we’re normally not open. That required us to convince the lender to wire funds the day before, and to convince the seller to wait for their funds to be wired on Monday. In the end it all worked out and everyone thanked us for our flexibitily.

24. Jim Duelmer
    August 16, 2018 | 10:53 am

As a division of the Bank of England, Vinings Mortgage can act as both a mortgage banker and a mortgage broker. Over 95% of our transactions are processed, underwritten, closed and funded out of our Atlanta branch but when needed we are uniquely positioned to also act as a mortgage broker in order to insure the loan product best fits the needs of our client.
    We recently had a situation where a VA client’s credit score was lower than what our banked products allow. I found another national lender that was able to accept a lower credit score and our client and is now enjoying her new $400,000 home. Our ability to act as both a mortgage banker and a mortgage broker allows our loan officer’s to offer the best of both worlds. As a result, Vinings Mortgage referral partners and clients know that one way or the other….we will make it happen!

25. Michael Smith
    August 16, 2018 | 10:55 pm

Flexibility is relative. Relative to how far along I am in a given project. At the start of the project everything is flexible – products, finishes, colors, materials. Once the specifications are written and agreed to, then the project starts. The decisions start to become reality. Flexibility is reduced although changes are still possible – and there is a cost for the flexibility. Once a product is ordered – it’s still flexible – but it costs more with restocking fees, reverse logistics, and other associated expenses. After something is installed, it gets even more expensive – think of tile. It’s installed – but of course the costs of flexibility are exponentially more expensive. The further along in the project, the more expensive it is to be flexible.