Guidelines – Jason Conn

My name is Jason Conn and I’m a Senior Mortgage Loan Officer with Fifth Third Bank. As a tinkerer, I love cool tools. I mean, I love having the kind of tool in my box that everyone else says ‘what in the world is that’? Usually if a tool is very obscure, the task that it can be used for is more defined. The same can be said about the use of the Mortgage Loan Resource Desk, a tool that I have access to at Fifth Third Bank. Most product guideline manuals outline the guidelines for most tools, however when I call this toll free number, it is for the rarest/oddest of scenarios. Alicia recently was referred to me by her financial planner and it was over concern that her lender had ‘prequalified her’ for a loan without digging into her income situation. He knew she was set up for a train wreck when the underwriter reviewed her file. Alicia is an actress who gets income from many different sources…some W-2, some 1099, so she was sort of self-employed and a W-2 employee, but she didn’t get normal paystubs. Through a detailed conversation with the MLRD, I was able to confirm that a two year average of income would be acceptable, despite not having a current 30 day paystub. When our underwriter began to question why we didn’t have a current paystub, I was able to provide the underwriter with a written transcript of my conversation with the Mortgage Loan Resource Desk and the loan was approved. Financial planners appreciate specialized tools and they are great gate openers for me.

10 Responses to Guidelines – Jason Conn
  1. Wendy Kinney
    August 16, 2018 | 3:28 pm

Add the missing essentials:

1: Green HOW – a green card is WHO + HOW.
    How is a behaviour.
    What is a behaviour of a financial plannwer
    >>who would like an introduction TO you

2: Golden Card– the golden card is the Commander’s Intent.
    >>In this InfoMinute the financial planner is the Commander.

What RESULT does the Commander want from your specialized tool?
    (For them self … not for your mutual client … this is essential – it is the Commander’s result that matters.)

3: Platinum– a platinum card gives us a way to start a conversation with a financial planner, that will move to be an offer of an introduction to you.

The Kindling Question will not be about you, or your product – the Kindling Question will likely be about tools.

2. Wendy L Kinney
    November 5, 2018 | 11:28 am

GREEN CARD
    I’m a good referral for a
    WHO: financial planner
    HOW: who wears bow ties
    HOW: whose hair is always perfect
    HOW: who shows you their iPhone Xs
    HOW: who wears an Apple Watch
    HOW: whose shoes are freshly polished
    HOW: who uses the nav in their car’s head unit
    HOW: who asks great questions at holiday parties – church –

3. Wendy L Kinney
    November 5, 2018 | 11:37 am

GOLDEN CARD:
    Because

1: They never want to be asked a question they can’t answer.
    2: Because it saves them time – they want to be efficient
    3: Because they’re analytical – and have an end goal in mind.
    4: Because tools help them reach their goals.
    5: Because allows them to efficiently explain complex concepts to their clients.

HOW:
    Financial planner who shares info he read in Bloomberg’s every time you talk.

4. Wendy L Kinney
    November 5, 2018 | 11:40 am

NEW GREEN:
    I’m a good referral for a financial planner who wears bow ties. He appreciates specialized tools because they allow him to explain complex concepts to his clients efficiently.

5. Wendy L Kinney
    November 5, 2018 | 11:58 am

KINDLING QUESTION:

1: ask what CRM system he uses
    2: ask him what mortgage rates are –
    3: ask him how the rise in mortgage rates has affected his clients.
    4: ask what his toughest ever scenario is
    5: ask about the toughest scenario a client has ever faced.
    6: ask if he initiates annual reviews with his clients
    7: ask when they start writing their holiday cards –
    8: ask if he’s read Alan Greenspan’s new bestseller.

6. Wendy L Kinney
    November 5, 2018 | 11:59 am

Ask if he’s read Alan Greenspan’s new bestseller.

7. Clay Jeffreys
    November 5, 2018 | 4:14 pm

The team did a lot of work on Jason’s today. One thing Wendy said in the past was tell people what you do and not who you work for. People want to work with you and not the company that employs you. It also takes up valuable time in our infominutes. I think Jason could say “My name is Jason Conn and I’m a Senior Mortgage Loan Officer.”

Wendy – please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Thanks everyone!

8. Chris Coulter
    November 7, 2018 | 10:57 pm

great blue card. I would like to use. too long on red I thought and it pushed out the green and yellow but I think we talked about this one Monday.

9. Rodney Shaffer
    November 12, 2018 | 12:37 pm

Well we have focused on the other areas of the InfoMinute already, so I will look at the purple card. The original text takes me almost 11 seconds to read. I suggest rewording it to the following, which takes me less than 6 seconds to read, but I think conveys the same message:

“As a tinkerer I love obscure tools that make people ask, ‘What is that?’ These tools are usually required for specialized tasks.”

10. Vance Blew
    November 13, 2018 | 4:48 pm

Jason,
    I think the others have the content taken care of I would suggest moving the red story section first, then the purple, blue, green, gold and platinum sections, it seems like it would flow better.