Action: Manual

Referral Trigger for the week of August 6
What to SAY to GET Referrals
Builder’s Tool: Source of Power | Purpose: Action​
Conversation lead by the: Canton Business Leaders Team

and A hammer is a manual tool.

Manual means the human is responsible for the power and energy.

Tell us what you, personally, initiate for your clients. Give us an example of where you, without the assistance of automation, provide value.

Share a client story as an example.

19 Responses to Action: Manual
  1. Linda Lullie
    August 3, 2018 | 9:15 am

Wow! So our design work is 100% manual labor as we create EVERY piece of art by hand (the computer, like the hammer, is just a tool). Once art is approved and goes to print, we stand behind every project – whether it’s just a business card, or a full blown catalog, doesn’t matter the size of the job. Recently a client ordered a second table throw for a show, and it was sent directly to them. They didn’t open and check the order until they were AT the show… oops! The logo was misprinted. Luckily, they had their original table throw with them (whew!).

So even though the order was completed several months back and not seen until last week, today I’m hand delivering a new and correct replacement. No charge, no worries… Mistakes happen… the difference we make is in how we handle them. Do we automate a response, or are we personally handling the response? We like the personal approach and find it’s the best way to add value!

2. Jessica Carter
    August 3, 2018 | 9:34 am

I do monthly continue education courses so my clients can learn about new essential oils and new ways to use the essential oils they already own. It has allowed many of my clients to find relief from health issues that they previously didn’t think oils could help. Remember,there is an oil for that!

3. Debra Brazell
    August 3, 2018 | 11:19 am

I check in with my clients and their families, frequently. This allows me to get feedback about changes that might need to be made for care, or by our caregivers.
    One son recently asked us to adjust our arrival time earlier, because his mom was having to provide more care to his dad in the hour prior to our arrival, than later in the day. It was wearing her out.
    We were happy to accommodate his request and implemented it the very next morning. When I let him know we would be able to make the schedule change so quickly, he replied back, “You are the best. Thanks!”

4. Alessandro Guglielmino
    August 3, 2018 | 3:31 pm

We spend all of the time necessary with our customers to educate them on our process. We want our clients to have a clear understanding on how we work with the insurance companies to help them get a new roof for very little out of pocket. We also make ourselves readily available for clients if they have any questions during the process. We always want to build that trust with our clients.

5. Alex Guglielmino
    August 3, 2018 | 5:52 pm

We take the time to educate our clients on our process and how we work with insurance companies so our clients get the most from their policies. We also try to build that trust with our customers by filing the claims for them and coming out with the adjusters to go over the damage that we find. When they see the relationships we have the adjusters, they feel more comfortable doing business with us and know they can trust the work that we provide for them.

6. John Hulbert
    August 4, 2018 | 12:26 pm

Even though clients can and usually do print out their travel documents themselves for just about any type of travel, some higher end suppliers send them to me first, and then if the client is local, I hand deliver them. Recently, I brought my daughter along to deliver a packet, and while she played with their dog, I was able to not only answer any last minute questions regarding their upcoming trip, but also gather information on their next 3 “Bucket List” item trips they want to take.

7. Chris Quay
    August 4, 2018 | 1:04 pm

This is a daily occurrence. Nothing in the pest management industry is automated, each situation is exclusive to itself. The chemical used and application site is determined by the experience I’ve aquired over the last 21 years. Many times no chemical is required as is the case with stored product pests. The source of the infestation must be found and eliminated to solve the problem. Safer and more effective for everyone involved. That is protecting food, property and health.

8. Joseph Chvatal
    August 4, 2018 | 1:44 pm

Knowledge, I’m an educator, I am a heck of a salesman and I can close anyone but it’s always been my goal not to sell but to educate my clients so they can make the correct choice for the insurance to fit their needs and budget. I will always throw in my 2 cents because prospective is a very important part of the process. Once my client’s understand what benefits that are available to them and their are comfortable with the policy their premium dollar will provide, I’m good!

9. Shaun St. Hill
    August 4, 2018 | 1:58 pm

I offer to review the bills and contracts for the technology services my clients currently have. Since I know what to look for, I can tell if they are overpaying for a service or if the contract contains onerous provisions like an autorenew clause. One client we are currently working with can actually upgrade their existing network connection without getting a new one. I gladly passed that information along to the client even though I won’t get paid on the upgrade.

10. Ollie Evans
    August 6, 2018 | 8:03 am

I feel one of the most important parts of my new patient procedure is the report of findings I do with every patient. I take the time to go through the results of their exam, what they have going on, the possible causes of it, and what the plan is to correct it. If I take x-rays on them, I’ll show them their films and go through them with the patient explaining the current condition, what changes, need to be made and will answer any questsions they may have about their x-rays of their care moving forward.

11. Lisa Jeffers Letchworth
    August 6, 2018 | 9:20 am

Each time I speak to a new potential borrower, I ask them have you ever been prequalified for a home mortgage? I love when they say “No”, this is the perfect time to walk them through each step of the home buying process. I tell them, the average person buys 1 to 2 homes in their lifetime. So, there are no silly questions when buying a home and qualifying for a mortgage. I want them to be 100% confident when they get to the closing table that they have made the right decision for themselves and their family. I take the time to explain each page of the closing documents, because it can be overwhelming with what seems like signing your life away. I am most proud when at the closing table the attorney asks if they have any questions and they confidently say, No, Lisa explained each page to us in detail.

12. Jeanne Westmoreland
    August 6, 2018 | 9:55 am

If pictures are available, I can typcially use them to give an estimate to a prospect of what a staging investment might be. Pictures are a form of automation I imagine, because they will be sent electronically.

But pictures don’t tell the whole story for me when actually finalizing a project plan. When a client moves forward with staging, I will almost always walk the house in person so I can feel confident that I haven’t missed any special features to showcase.

I met with my client Laurel two weeks ago at her condo, and she is moving out this week. Even as a professional stager who does this all of the time, a sellers furniture and specific tastes can be influencial on the way the property looks to me. So I will be returning this week after she moves to be sure I have the project plan correct for the space and the potential buyer.

My eyes, my ideas, my creativity, my plan. No automation required.

Stage. Sell. Simple. It’s Classic!

13. Megan Williams
    August 6, 2018 | 10:36 am

With any new or existing customer that we have I always make sure to follow up with each customer to make sure that the work was completed to their standards. If the customer is unhappy for any reason we make sure to correct the issue right away. We always go above and beyond to make sure if our customers ever needed work in the future we are the company they would call or refer us.

14. Nick Ovens
    August 6, 2018 | 10:53 am

In General Construction we still literally use tools that were used to build the first houses. So the manual part of this trigger is literal.
    With that said, technology has played its part. Whether it is improving tools, building products or overall communication. It has been very positive for the industry.
    One area where there is a disconnect is on shows on TV and the effect it has on homeowners. Using 3 line items to go through a flip or flop is a pretty vague way to look at any project. There are hundreds to thousands of line items that go into most general contracting projects. Simplifying that is a true value add for us. Helping our clients make that decision quickly and decisively is key to any successful project.

15. Tim Miller
    August 6, 2018 | 11:17 am

In todays Property / Casualty insurance market automation is very common, unfortunately Liability limits and endorsements for policies are rarely discussed. Clients usually have never had coverage’s explained leaving them with coverage’s they didn’t know they had, and paying too much for, or were written with what most companies do for the average client. I provide my clients with a face to face annual review to discuss coverage and changes needed as life changes each year and so will there insurance needs. Letting a companies average coverage protect some of your most important assets should never be left up to a call center or online quoting tool.

16. Angie Hays
    August 6, 2018 | 8:56 pm

I love making dreams come true. That doesn’t take automation. It just takes listening and having a conversation with people. Rebecca is a 55-year young lady who has never bought a home of her own. She grew up poor, had a rough marriage, raised her son alone and thought the American Dream of home ownership was for anyone else but her. She just figured that renting a home was the path she was destined to live with. Knowing that she easily qualified for $1200 per month rent payment, I convinced her to “Let’s see if you can actually buy a house!”. Hey, I know people in the mortgage business! We called the loan officer on our team to see if Rebecca qualified for a home loan. Imagine our excitement when we learned she was qualified for $175,000! We sat at the closing table and Rebecca was like a little girl at Christmas. She kept saying, “I can’t believe I’m really buying my own house!” I’m in the business of making dreams become a reality, whether it’s for a 20-something or a 50-something first time home buyer! If you overhear a conversation by a co-worker that sounds like this, “I’ll never be able to buy my own home!”, set up a 3-way email and let me have a conversation with them. I love making dreams come true!

17. Lindsay Prose
    August 6, 2018 | 9:48 pm

We meet with each of our prospects/clients one on one to determine their exact “want/need” and the process necessary to get there. No two jobs are the same and the process to remove a tree is affected by factors like location, access, size, health etc. We discuss all aspects of the removal process with our clients down to the details of where the equipment, if any is needed, will come in and out of their yard. It’s important they understand the steps that we need to take to complete the work safely and efficiently because there’s no room for error when dealing with trees that may be dangerous or near an area where they could cause damage to people or structures.

18. Charles Frederic
    August 7, 2018 | 9:00 am

When a customer comes in we talk about the use of the vehicle and the life of the vehicle. If it is a vehicle that they want to keep for a long time then we start talking about the regular maintenance on the vehicle, What has been done already and what still needs to be done. Our goal is to have you in the car for the life of the car which can be upwards of 300k miles or better.

19. Judy Bagwell
    August 8, 2018 | 12:39 pm

My value I feel comes into play because I don’t treat each prospect the same. I like to strike up a conversation that leads into my presentation for payroll. It is already a little uncomfortable because I’m coming to them to sell them our service. I want to always make the prospect feel like they are with a friend doing business and I feel that brings value to what I do. We also add value by being available on a local number and the customer will be assigned a designated processor in our office so they will always talk with the same person anytime they call.