Communication: Foundation

Referral Trigger for the week of September 10
What to DO to GIVE Referrals
Builder’s Tool: Plans | Purpose: Communication​
Conversation lead by the: 30076 Roswell Team (100% responses achieved)

and Every structure requires a stable foundation.

When you work with a client, what must be in place before they are ready for you?

When they haven’t prepared the foundation, you have a referral opportunity.

Tell the story of a client who wasn’t prepared. What did you ask? Who did you refer them to?

20 Responses to Communication: Foundation
  1. Jeff Bird
    September 7, 2018 | 2:19 pm

One client was one of six siblings caring for an aging parent. She explained how angry the siblings were with each other and how she wanted me to convince them her idea to care for dad was best.

I referred this client and her siblings to a family therapist to address these issues before I could successfully help.

2. Minerva Steele
    September 10, 2018 | 9:11 am

We must have in place efficient intake processes to make sure that our clients’ concerns are answered quickly and by someone who knows what they are doing. We receive a lot of phone calls for types of law we do not practice, or current clients ask us to help them what areas of law we do not practice in.
    I had a workers’ compensation client, Michael, who unfortunately got into a little criminal trouble and needed a criminal lawyer. We don’t practice criminal law, but we know good lawyers who do. We got Michael over to someone we trusted and his matter was handled. Michael was thrilled with the referral and has since referred his friends to us for workers’ compensation cases.
    When we receive a phone call we have to be able to tell the call if we can help them. Hopefully we can, we love helping people! But when we cannot, we have a vast network of trusted lawyers, we can always get someone the help the need, even if it isn’t with us.

3. Mark Craig
    September 10, 2018 | 1:13 pm

I once had a client who wanted to buy a new home. The client had multiple rental properties that she had acquired thru inheritance. All lenders are required to calculate the rental income of rental properties as part of the process. Unfortunately, the client’s tax returns were prepared incorrectly, and we could not use them. We had to refer her to a CPA to refile two years’ worth of returns before we could issue a pre-approval. It took a few months, but we were able to use the revised tax returns and secure a loan for our client. Fortunately, we have a great network of referral partners who can assist me and my clients when the need arises!

4. Barbara Pisano
    September 10, 2018 | 3:36 pm

Our program is about lifestyle changes, not just weight lost although most folks come to the program to lose weight. When we have an individual who is only looking at dropping 5 or 10 pounds for a specific event e.g. Homecoming and not looking to making lifestyle changes, that not only will help them lose the weight but keep it off, we refer them to one of the available diet programs.

5. Ray Johnson
    September 11, 2018 | 9:57 am

For Real Estate Financing for owner occupied property the lender relies on financial statements that represent the capacity of the borrower. Recently I was approached by a church that needed to refinance the mortgage carried on the church property. When gathering the initial documents it was apparent I could not rely on their internally prepared Income Statement and Balance Sheet. I referred them to a CPA that specializes in assisting churches. It was several months later but I was eventually able to get their mortgage refinanced using the statements prepared by the CPA.

6. israel israeli
    September 11, 2018 | 11:03 am

when i see a person of interest and we hit it nicely. i ask what do you do . if he she is employed i quit. if its an independant i will offer a great way for him to meet and greet my team. the rest will be on him.

7. Louis Agudo
    September 11, 2018 | 5:24 pm

When a client comes to me, it’s because of a need. Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Long Term Care insurance options, Medicare plans, Small Employers Benefits. They are either looking for information to be educated with or are ready to sign up for a plan. Though during my process, there are a lot of questions that lead to referral opportunities.

One is Medicare. People turning 65 don’t understand the process and it usually starts with an individual signing up for Medicare. They come to me and I explain what they have to do and where to go to get signed up with Social Security.

I am asked quite often about which doctors and dentist to go to and I refer to them. People moving in from out of state, needing new health insurance or a medicare plan because it isn’t portable. They are currently staying at a friends or inlaws and are looking for a place to live which leads me to a referral to the realtor and mortgage broker on my team.

I get a lot of questions about wills and that allows me to refer to an estate attorney. I think we just have to keep our ears open to what we hear and connect the dots to make the referral.

8. Jim Tardif
    September 11, 2018 | 8:26 pm

Many potential clients come to us for signage they would like to have installed before a grand opening. Some have not planned well, leaving us will too little time and not enough funding to deliver the desired sign. We do our best to compress the time line required to fabricate and install. To help with the financial issue we refer them to a financing partner we work with. This provides a lower entry cost to the project and allows us to begin fabrication sooner.

9. Bramha Ramkissoon
    September 12, 2018 | 12:12 am

Most of my clients are corporations. When I work with a client, they must have been formed and registered with the Secretary of state before they are ready for me.

When they have not prepared this foundation, it creates an opportunity to refer them to a corporate lawyer.

Very often the corporate lawyer would register the organization, obtain the federal tax identification (EIN) and very often prepare an operating agreement.

10. Dr Debbie Estime
    September 12, 2018 | 1:23 pm

The foundation needed for a client to be ready for me is the need to get better holistically. If that client is ready to change their health their function and their way of living by exploring the root of their discomfort, then they are ready for what chiropractic has to offer. If after the initial consultation it is not in the scope of chiropractic, referral of other healthcare providers comes into play. The other time in which referral and/or co-management of other healthcare providers is necessary if that client does not respond to care the way in which they should.

11. Lewis Hammond
    September 12, 2018 | 1:38 pm

My client was a Dentist who wanted to upgrade one of his cleaning rooms. I had to install a computer and connect it to the server, dental camera, etc. and enable a large wall-mounted monitor that the patients could see. First, however, the monitor had to be mounted and the cables had to be run.

I told him I could do it (the monitor and cabling), but I recommended he use someone who could do it better and cheaper and referred Jason Williams of the Virginia Highlands Team. Jason did a great job and my client was grateful to me for acting in his interest. The foundation wasn’t there and I used the situation to generate a referral.

12. Rick Farber
    September 12, 2018 | 4:16 pm

• Rick Farber
      September 12, 2018 | 4:26 pm

It is very difficult to referred a potential client to another soure. When it did happen because of a delivery backup, I found a quality supplier who could produce the product faster but it happened to be expensive! I saved the client because of a good referral but still have a price advantage.

13. Susan Fraley
    September 12, 2018 | 9:16 pm

I think everyone likes to know what to expect, especially when they have not purchased or sold real estate before.

I explain the process to them first, but for buyers, the next step is to secure a mortgage. I refer them to an experienced lender who can walk them through the process and prepare them for the items they will need to get pre-approved for a mortgage before they go shopping for a new home. Mark Craig with Silverton Mortgage is that person. He is very thorough and careful, and when he sends them back to me to help them find a home, I know they are ready to buy with loan letter in hand. The buyers are more excited and confident, when they know what to expect.

14. Chris Perez
    September 13, 2018 | 8:59 am

Several years ago a prospective client came to me with what they thought was a financial plan that they thought would get them to what they considered to be their definition of Financial Freedom. They were at a loss as to why they were not able to save money the way they thought they should. I first asked them to bring me a copy of their monthly budget. The Deer in the Headlight look came across the table and I knew right then and there that they had dreams but no plan and obviously no foundation to achieve those Dreams.

After reviewing their income and spending habits we agreed with a couple recommendations. First was to live within their means, second was to only buy what was absolutely necessary until the light at the end of the tunnel was not an oncoming train, and thirdly was to commit to each other that they had to change their dreams to make them more realistic for now so as to not make the goals unattainable. This couple had over $20,000 in credit card debt with nothing tangible to show for it. They were overpaying for their home and auto insurance and had not taken advantage of their 401K savings plans at work.

I referred them to the P&C insurance agent on the team, who reviewed their policies and made significant changes that saved them hundreds of dollars a year on their premiums with better coverage. I refereed them to the Mortgage person who helped them refi the home and pay off their credit card debt. I referred them to a lawyer that helped them put together a will that they had not taken the time to do, and last but not least I helped them put together a savings plan that allows them to start on their path for Financial Freedom which is different for everyone. A wise man once told me that you have to pay yourself first and that once you are able to do that and understand why you would be able to “Save and Smile” Today this couple has made significant progress but knows that life happens and goals and dreams change but they are grateful for all the help, guidance and understanding everyone I referred them to gave them.

15. Tripp Platt
    September 13, 2018 | 9:01 am

With all of my clients I want to ensure I have the proper coverage in place for my client’s property, autos, and liability. In order to do this I look at the full picture of their work and home life. Through this discovery process I learn out a lot about each individual household and their needs. Not only their home and auto insurance.

A recent client is a self-employed contractor and after helping him with his auto, home, and umbrella policy I was able to refer him to health insurance specialist for a long term disability plan.

16. Shannol Grant
    September 13, 2018 | 12:42 pm

Primary items that need to be in place before a client can move forward with web projects like websites and or social media marketing are:

1- Captial
    2- Willingness to move forward
    3- Content already created r at the phase where they are ready to develop new content

When they haven’t prepared the foundation, you have a referral opportunity.

REFERRAL TRIGGER: An excellent referral for me is Matt. He is a dedicated family man and a creative Executive Engineer with many years of product development. Following his passion for engineering and creativity, he started his company to help entrepreneurs find opportunities to develop their products. He knows a lot about international product development, design, logistics, and global distribution. But he does not have the time to establish his branding footprint. However, Matt does want to grow his product development agency. So We stepped in and helped Matt develop a new brand to deliver information and awareness to current and potential clients while saving him time. We provided a creative brand, Matt can utilize and grow for years to come.

TAKEAWAY REFERRAL QUESTIONS:
    Does the brand identify the functionality of the business?
    Does the brand have a mass appeal, is it attractive?
    Is the brand Iconic and rememberable?
    Is the brand straightforward to read and comprehend?

17. Kimberly Gustafson
    September 13, 2018 | 1:45 pm

A client came to me who had been suffering with severe anxiety for over two years. During the initial consult she told me that, six months earlier, she had experienced a major emotional trauma that was out of my scope. I referred her to a good therapist, and the three of us are working together to resolve both the long term anxiety and issues related to the emotional trauma.

18. Rick Farber
    September 13, 2018 | 2:24 pm

My clients have a big variety of products and new ideas that we provide. Sometimes issues arise such as delivery dates, etc., and we have to refer the client to other sources. A good referral can be a great relationship tool if good referral advice is given.
    Working to support clients in every way, including a good referral, has provided to be a good business practice.

19. Kimberly Pless
    September 13, 2018 | 10:08 pm

When a client comes to me, they have a strong desire to go away on vacation or to do something out of the ordinary.

The foundation clients need to have to be ready for me is; money, proper travel documents (Passport, Visa, etc.) and an open mind to visualize all of the possibilities of what their vacation could be.

Julia is a great referral for me. For years she wanted to travel through Europe. Every time she came close to making her desire a reality, something more pressing took her attention away. Life always seemed to know when to throw a wrench in her plan. She knew that if she was ever going to make it happen, the time was now. Julia came to me with her desire to visit different countries in Europe. My team of travel associates and I are helping her with the steps to make it happen.