Jennifer Eden Thomas

Georgia is a BUYER BEWARE state. When I represent a Seller it is my obligation to divulge any Material Defects that I am aware of.

When I represent a buyer it is my responsibility to help discover any undisclosed issues.

Take for example Teri and Adam who assumed the house they were buying was on city sewer as indicated on the MLS listing. During due diligence I asked for copies of the utility bills and found that the water bill did not have any sewer charges. After calling the county I confirmed that what I suspected was true … the house was on septic. And the current owners had assumed incorrectly for the past 15 years that it was on sewer.

Do you see how that could quickly become a very big problem!? Luckily we had the tank pumped and inspected and everything was ok.

The next time your friend Jane talks about how her daughter in college is doing, ask her if she is enjoying having a quiet house.

I am Jennifer Eden Thomas and I know how to protect my buyers.

8 Responses to Jennifer Eden Thomas
  1. Valerie Brutti
    October 11, 2018 | 2:48 pm

I would take out “Take for example”

During due diligence, I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and did some investigating. I requested previous water bills that gave me he clue that the home was not on a city water since it was not on the bill. I discovered that indeed it was a Septic tank.

Maybe ask her if she is enjoying reading any mystery novels or watching mystery shows?

2. Persephone C Galambos
    October 16, 2018 | 7:55 pm

I like the buyer beware lead in. I would take out the second sentence because it is about sellers and the rest is about buyers so it is a little confusing. Maybe include something for the blue card like “Properties are sold as is and it is the buyers responsibility to inspect for any discoverable defects and decide if they would like to purchase the property with the defects. Then for your purple card mention that you are a thorough investigator in order to protect your buyers best interest.

That is a good green card. with the kindling question maybe ask (in order to stay away from mentioning house) what new hobby has she tried (or what is she doing to fill in her new found free time).

• Wendy Kinney
      October 18, 2018 | 11:03 am

Nice catch on the Buyer/Seller first paragraph – I read that three times, didn’t realize that was why I was hanging up!

3. Julia Brantley
    October 19, 2018 | 4:21 pm

I agree with Persephone’s comment. The seller comment is another IM.

I think that it’s important to know that we are a Caveat Emptor state but it’s also a legal obligation of the seller to disclose everything they know about a property. I also think it’s important to know that it’s the listing agents obligation to investigate and ensure the info that the seller is disclosing is true, to the best of their ability. So maybe give the audience a new term to feel smart about – GA is a caveat emptor state, which means BUYER BEWARE! It’s the buyer’s and my job to
    obtain all information and disclosures about the home from the seller and listing agent and request specific information that isn’t formally disclosed on legal forms….

Georgia is a BUYER BEWARE state. legally, Sellers must disclose what they know, but my job is to help discover anything they left out.

Teri and Adam assumed the house they were buying was on city sewer as indicated on the MLS listing. During due diligence I obtained copies of the utility bills and there were no sewer charges. By calling the county I confirmed that the house was on septic.

Because of my investigating I was able to negotiate getting the inspected. Everything was ok and the deal closed.

4. Michelle Mechem
    October 20, 2018 | 9:08 am

The original infominute flows (no pun intended) really well. The suggestions above are awesome. Were you able to get the seller to inspect and/or pay for the the septic to be serviced? I would point out what you were the catalyst for:

Because of my investigating the Buyers knew the septic existed and needed to be inspected. I was then able to negotiate the Sellers paying to pump the system, saving the buyers money in the future.

5. Connie Martin
    October 20, 2018 | 10:22 am

LOVE this topic (Buyer Beware) because the g-pop (general population) don’t realize this is different from state to state. Also, your story is extremely compelling — I would hire you as my Realtor!!!

I started to write my comment with.. Take out “When I represent a Seller…” because it starts the listener down the BUYER path (GA Buyer beware), then SELLER path and then you switch (and rightly so) to focus on BUYERS. Obviously, several others agreed once I read the other comments!!!

BLUE/FACTS: Kuddos to JULIA on including “Caveat Emptor” — throwing Latin in our InfoMins makes us sound SO INTELLIGENT, huh? Plus this term is specifically meant for our industry.
    Add “It is important for the Buyer to conduct ALL types of inspections necessary for the specific property” or something like that (not liking the way this sounds exactly).

RED/STORY (Problem/Action/Result): Like Michelle says, I think you could improve the Action/Result section… I’m thinking on this and will return with more comments…

6. Steve Payment
    October 20, 2018 | 10:40 am

Great info minute. Tells a compelling story. I would expound on the the Buyer Beware.

Did you know Georgia is a Buyer Beware State? That means a buyer and their agent need to go over all the information provided in disclosures and inspections to uncover any hidden issues.

7. Jennifer Eden Thomas
    October 21, 2018 | 12:48 pm

GA is a caveat emptor state, which means BUYER BEWARE! While Seller’s must disclose what they know it is my job to help a buyer discover anything they may have left out. Teri and Adam assumed the house they were buying was on city sewer as indicated on the MLS listing. During due diligence I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and did some investigating. I requested previous water bills that gave me the clue that the home was not on a city sewer. I discovered that indeed it was a Septic tank. And the current owners had assumed incorrectly for the past 15 years that it was on sewer. Do you see how that could quickly become a very big problem!? I was then able to negotiate the Sellers paying to pump and inspect the system, saving the buyers money and huge problems in the future. Ask your friend Jane how her daughter in college is doing, ask her if she’s turned her old room into a hobby room! GUYS I THINK I AM STILL MISING YELLOW AND PLATINUM!?