Valerie Brutti

One of the best things that a seller can do is understand how a buyer sees a home. When working with sellers, I explain how important curb appeal the buyer to feels invited to be there. Having a clean yard and porch helps set the stage for a great property. I have the seller walk from the mailbox to the front door so than inspect the home. The mailbox, driveway and front door need to be clean. Sometimes when arriving at homes buyers find cobwebs all over the top of the front door and unkempt porch area. They are not there to trick a treat, they are there to see if this home is the best option for them. When you see your friend outside doing more yard work than usual ask them if they are preparing to list their home or just doing a big weekend yard project. If they are considering listing please let them know that you can connect them with a realtor who understands the importance of marketing a home to help them get the closing table quicker.

14 Responses to Valerie Brutti
  1. Wendy Kinney
    October 10, 2018 | 1:50 pm

Great Purple Card!

• Valerie Brutti
      October 11, 2018 | 4:01 pm

Thanks Wendy

2. Persephone C Galambos
    October 16, 2018 | 7:27 pm

Valerie, That is a good purple card. The blue card needs so more facts. Maybe along the lines of how homeowners rarely/if ever walk around htheir home and inspect w/ a critical eye for maintenance needs. Maybe direct the red card toward a specific person that you have walked around the house and how shocked they were to see several areas of wood rot (or something like that). The question in this is a flamethrower (I always had flame throwers before our meeting last week but now I see them in all my work). What about asking if she is taking gardening classes as the kindling question or something like that.

• Valerie Brutti
      October 17, 2018 | 11:57 am

Thanks

3. Wendy L Kinney
    October 17, 2018 | 12:14 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kindling Question about gardening! Excellent.

4. Julia Brantley
    October 19, 2018 | 4:06 pm

Should the red story portion be something like – While showing Susan and Steve a home that checked every box on their criteria list we were met with a haunted house! Spider webs, grime and rusted porch fixtures. The first impression spoiled the home before they set foot in the foyer. I relayed this experience to my sellers to teach them how important curb appeal is to a buyer. Statistics show that the buying decision is made within the first 10 seconds of walking through the door. Those 10 seconds drop considerably if they have hesitation even entering the home.

Also add in the ‘marketing a home’ as a part of the curb appeal because thats where the visual marketing starts.

So a story within a story…? I’m wordy so obv this would be scaled down!!

I really like the kindling question “ask them if they are taking a gardening class” when you see them doing yard work.

5. Michelle Mechem
    October 20, 2018 | 8:40 am

Great topic. So often homeowners spend so much time on the interior they forget the outside.

You may want to add- if the exterior does not look inviting, they may ask their Realtor to keep driving and not look at the home at all.

I would take out the line – the mailbox, driveway, and front door need to be clean– if time is an issue or weave it into the story about the cobwebs on the front door.

Possible Gold:???
    When you see your friend outside doing more yard work that usual, they want to talk to me to get to the new swim/tennis community, their current neighborhood lacks.

Agree that purple above is fabulous.

6. Connie Martin
    October 20, 2018 | 9:25 am

Possible Green/Gold Card:
    When your friend is doing yard work with a new rake and shears, ask them if they’d rather be golfing. (I’m implying that they might want to live in a community where the HOA covers yard maintenance).

• Connie Martin
      October 20, 2018 | 9:36 am

I think you know to remove the last line and replace with the garden ing class kindling/platinum card mentioned above.

For the story/red part, I could share a story where the seller knew the house exterior needed painting and it was SO important that we chose the correct “trendy” color (i.e. painted brick the same color as siding in a Benjamin Moore Grey Mist, etc.) or the potential buyer might have rejected the house from the listing photos. Choosing the right color doesn’t cost anymore, but it requires a good stager/decorator eye.

7. Valerie Brutti
    October 20, 2018 | 9:30 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

8. Steve Payment
    October 20, 2018 | 10:24 am

Sellers love their home. I try to help them understand that we need to turn their home back into a house that buyers can see themselves making their home.

Before my clients sign goes up in the yard I have them walk the house to see it with a critical eye. I ask them questions about the curb appeal and any changes they would like to see when buying a home.

Also the end where “getting to the closing table”. I have had feed forward cards asking what is the closing table. Must have come from someone who hasn’t bought or sold. I would simplify with “getting your house sold and check in hand”.

9. Jennifer Eden Thomas
    October 20, 2018 | 11:11 am

I think this is a great concept as Seller’s typically overlook the negatives a buyer will surely notice. When you see your neighbor doing more yard work than usual ask them ????? Kindling question not flame thrower. and don’t forget what is it the who wants! Great job.

10. Valerie Brutti