Mark A Straight Line: Contrast

Referral Trigger for the week of December 10
What to DO to GIVE Referrals
Builder’s Tool: Chalk Box | Purpose: Mark A Straight Line
Conversation lead by the: Peachtree City Team

and A chalk line is only valuable because of contrast – it can be seen because the color and texture of the line contrasts with the work surface.

Identify a Member and describe an area where your two businesses contrast.

Now explain a situation where that contrast would be a reason for you to refer your client to them.

28 Responses to Mark A Straight Line: Contrast
  1. Jim Mothorpe
    December 7, 2018 | 9:27 am

I draw the straight line to Megan Byron. Megan holds the fixed insurance seat I hold the financial investment seat. For account growth I invest my client’s money in the markets. The value of their account moves up and down based on the market’s daily performance. Their is potential for larger positive outcomes as well as larger negative outcomes. For account growth Megan can place her client’s money in fixed insurance products. A smaller potential for a positive outcome. But Megan’s products may eliminate the negative outcome. When I have a client who does not want the potential negative outcome I can refer them to Megan.

2. Ryan Williams
    December 7, 2018 | 10:32 am

Often, clients don’t understand the contrast between web developers and website designers. As a web and mobile app developer, I focus on the architecture, programming, performance, and functionality of data systems that help businesses work at peak efficency. Web developers are essentially the technological variant of a Business Consultant, seeing that the business implements technology to achieve the goals of the business plan.

Web designers are a component of Marketing efforts, and therefore focus on driving desired lead opportunities to a client’s website and maximizing the conversion of those website visitors into paying customers. They focus heavily on marketing content that communicates clearly — derived from market research which reveals the client’s realistic goals and the pathway to achieving those goals.

This contrast makes is easy for me to refer clients who need a marketing strategy and marketing websites to fellow team member Jason Muldrow of Profit Now Solutions. While I focus on building tools to help the client to run their day-to-day business more efficiently, Jason can help the same client to ensure they are connecting with their ideal client prospects. We can easily work together to connect those efforts where needed. And I can feel confident that a team member who I see every week has the accountability and credibility to take care of my clients with the same level of attention that I do.

3. Greg Verjan
    December 7, 2018 | 11:02 am

When doing a pest control inspection my eyes are focused on areas of infestations. In those areas I’m inspecting foundations roof lines as well as crawlspaces. It’s very easy for me to see problems areas that are out side of my services. Since I don’t do exclusion work it’s easy for me to refer Ken with KenCan he can offer services that I don’t offer. Sealing the home I haves my service and I can always count on Ken to be informative and professional to me clients

4. Chip Lawson
    December 7, 2018 | 11:06 am

Chalking a straight line between Cruise Planners – Chip Lawson and Nationwide Insurance – Jerome Mills happens naturally. Our travel clients are often at transitional times in their lives. Weddings/Honeymoons, Anniversaries and Retirements are great times to travel and review your insurance needs.

Jerome and I both take care of our clients through these transitions in our own contrasting ways. I satisfy the immediate gratification of a wonderful travel or life experience while Jerome ensures the life they seek for the future is secure.

I find this a great way to use my professional referrals that creates extra value to my clients. Having a secure future free from catastrophe gives way to planning a happier and well-rounded lifestyle.

5. Mitch Sosebee
    December 7, 2018 | 11:37 am

Working with HVAC systems requires a lot of physical activity and both myself and my employees are lifting heavy equipment crawling into attics and crawlspaces and with the heavy lifting and working in uncomfortable positions we have all needed the attention of a chiropractor. My straight line referral would be Dr. Michael Tumminello. And because I often work with small businesses where the owners have a lot of physical work to do I am regularly asked by my clients for a chiropractic referral. Dr Mike Tumminello is my trusted straight line referral partner.

6. Ricky Thacker
    December 7, 2018 | 11:44 am

In the H.V.A.C. industry we spend majority of our time at customers homes doing service, repair or replacement. Beings most all heating and air conditioning equiptment is located in either the attic, crawlspace or basement, this is how my straight line is driven towards Ken DeRose Broeckert. We are constantly spending time in the same locations where those unwanted pest prefer to be. So its always easy for me to identify the signs and damage they leave behind.
    When I’m with a customer I often get questioned or point out things that can better protect their home. All customers want to protect their home being it is such a major investment. When I point out to them the signs of nuisance animals it makes referring Ken & his service easy.

7. Gerald Wessels
    December 7, 2018 | 2:04 pm

In my mind, the difference from a sales person and a sales consultant is the degree by which the clients best interests are considered. Of course every real estate agent wants to sell every listing brought to them. However, there are some instances which other factors … such as the current market must be considered.

On our team the straight line “contrast” is when I tell people that they need to talk to Brett Vincent with GateKeeper Properties and possibly delay the selling of their home.. Honestly, there are times when people need to consider leasing their properties for a number of reasons. The consideration of people’s true needs always pays back great returns because there will be times when it is also advantageous not to lease that property and then it comes back to my business as an opportunity to sell.

8. Tricia Davis
    December 7, 2018 | 2:17 pm

As a CPA, I learn lots of personal details about my clients. I know their age, marital status, how much money they make each year, the value of their retirement funds, how much their mortgage payment is each month and many more things associated with their finances. Clients frequently hire me when there is a change in their lives such as a move, new job or a change in marital status. These life events frequently cause my clients to make a decision regarding their retirement funds. A 401K from the old job may need to be rolled over. A divorce can lead to a split in the value of a retirement account between the spouses. I can give advice regarding the tax consequences of these transactions, but will refer these clients to Jim Mothorpe to establish a new retirement account. Jim can give them advice about the best type of retirement account to establish and help them choose how to invest their money based on their risk assessment.

9. John Miller
    December 7, 2018 | 4:59 pm

Legal and tax questions are often two sides of the same coin. Much of my advice gives a client the picture of what is best for them in the way of liability prevention and/or asset protection. However, there are often tax ramifications for those clients. Just as a CPA should not answer legal questions, an attorney should not prepare a tax plan. It is the same issue, but the client needs two colors of chalk. It is for that reason that I am happy to refer those clients to Tricia Davis of my team. Not only is she prompt and attentive, but she can get the right answer in record time. Because she is so focused on detail, it makes my life easier when she is handling the financial side of a client’s life.

It is precisely because of the contrast of financial and legal that a client will need advice on both issues before making a legal decision. It is because Tricia does such a thorough job that she has my trust when those issues arise.

10. KenCan
    December 8, 2018 | 10:32 am

On my team I have several professionals that I can go “straight” to when trying to provide solutions for a client. One of them is Ricky Thacker with Trinity Air.
    Several clients of mine have had rodents in their crawl space and attics. Often the ducts for their heating and air are disconnected from contractors crawling over them. The heat attracts the rodents, the customers dog starts going crazy at the registers in the house, the customer starts hearing and smelling things coming from the registers, etc.
    Ricky makes my customer happy and makes me look good at the same time. Together we made a “straight line” to solving their problem.

11. Brett Vincent
    December 10, 2018 | 10:19 am

Homeowners commonly debate about selling their home vs holding onto it as a leasing investment property.
    Gerald Wessels, a Keller Williams Realtor on our team, is actually one of my clients owning a rental property that my company manages.
    Gerald and I commonly refer clients to each other, depending on if the client wishes to sell the house or hire a property manager to lease and manage it.

12. Jerome Mills
    December 10, 2018 | 8:25 pm

A “chalk line” contrast for my business as a property and casualty insurance agent is often made with Megan Byrom – Health Insurance representative. A common question that I get asked are – What types of insurance do you sell? My simple answer is almost all types EXCEPT health. I refer all health insurance clients to Megan since many property and casualty sales includes families with small children, elderly, medicare recipients and special needs adults. Megan is the SME for understanding one of the biggest threats facing the insurance industry.

13. Rory Williams
    December 10, 2018 | 10:08 pm

As an energy consultant, I have the pleasure of getting to know and work with homeowners, business owners, realtors, and property owners/managers. Drawing a straight-line to Ward Metcalf is an easy one. The roofing business can be such a volatile industry. When I explain about Ward’s free inspection, video, and the caring manner in which he takes care of his clients, it separates him from the rest. And I consider it an extension of my service as well.

14. Linda Edmonds
    December 10, 2018 | 11:22 pm

As a photographer, my clients are coming to me for visual representations for their business.

Contrast that to regulatory compliance, employee handbooks, employee training and various other
    textual representations provided by David Austin at HR Management Solutions.
    David and I can both provide our clients with the pieces they need to build their administrative infrastructure.

When I have a client that needs headshots for new employees they are adding to their team, I can talk to them and get an understanding of other HR challenges they are having due to their growth. By introducing them to David they will have a valuable resource to help them grow in a controlled way.

15. David Austin
    December 11, 2018 | 9:08 am

When speaking with clients about HR needs in many cases they are working with me due to some disconnect within the business. One of the services Jessica Walker with Momentum Wellness offers is team building exercises specifically Dragon Boat racing. While I can work on the tactical HR processes Jessica through her business can help enhance the more strategic side of Human Resources.

16. Maria Hall
    December 11, 2018 | 2:06 pm

Many of my clients engage my services to assess their business. They are trying to build revenue and attract ideal clients with confidence and ease. When they work with me, they sometimes think I can help them build a web-site or create marketing collateral, I don’t do that actual work, but I help them define what & why it is needed, that is a contrast.
    I work with clients to define their niche market, understand the problems they solve, create a value-based program and develop their product offerings, once that is done, we are ready to turn on the marketing machine for their business. This is where I create a direct line to Jason Muldrow of Profit Now Solutions. As a marketing strategist he helps clients with their web-site, sales funnel, social media, campaigns etc. He takes the work I have done with the client and puts the bells & whistles on their marketing efforts. His marketing services work hand in hand in with my business coaching services and that is great for the WIN it creates for our clients.

17. Jessica Walker
    December 12, 2018 | 10:25 am

My business of health and wellness coaching requires me to work with my clients from a holistic point of view. Their (primary foods) physical activity, career, relationships, and connection to the universe matter just as much as (secondary foods) what they put on their dinner plate. When something in a client’s primary foods becomes a source of stress, then all the broccoli in the world won’t help very much. I can easily draw a contrasting chalk line to most people at my table, since they are in the business of solving specific problems that come up in life. My clients engage me because they are up against a big life transition and they need guidance and support from me. When my clients’ needs exceed my scope of practice, I have a solid group of team members at my table who I can refer my clients to for more specialized assistance. I was especially glad, recently, to have Megan Byrom available for me to refer an older gentleman to for the kind of Medicare insurance help that she excels at, and that I knew would help him work better with me in the future.

18. Dr. Casey Crane
    December 13, 2018 | 10:34 am

Combining chiropractic and acupuncture produces great results. The contrast between chiropractic and acupuncture is the approach. As a chiropractor and applied kinesiologist, a lot of my focus is on realigning bones and re-balancing muscles, whereas Shannon Gonzalez, licensed acupuncturist, focuses on re-balancing the body’s meridians. Shannon also has a lot of knowledge on which Chinese herbs can help with different symptoms – especially cold and flu symptoms. I can help my patients with all sorts of health issues, but being able to refer patients to Shannon Gonzalez so they can improve their health from another angle is an added benefit.

19. Ward Metcalfe
    December 13, 2018 | 11:04 am

As a roofing contractor I am in a lot of attics. It is very easy for me to contrast and draw a straight line to Ken a nuisance wildlife expert on our team. When I see evidence of nuisance wildlife I can easily refer Ken to homeowners as a great resource to solve this problem. We have even worked together when I do full roof replacements. We install gutter apron which closes the builders gap at the eaves when we do a roof replacement. I have had Ken come in after we complete an installation and button up any other openings at the soffit/fascia.

20. Maggie McSweeney
    December 13, 2018 | 11:54 am

A chalk line to show the contrast for homeowners is easy between Rory Williams an energy consultant with Steam Gas and myself with Waste Industries. Trash and gas and should never mix! We have a same customer base and it is an easy referral because Rory is always on the inside of the home and I’m always on the outside of the home.

21. John Fortener
    December 13, 2018 | 4:52 pm

A Natural “straight line” for me would be Jim Mothorpe, CFP. Because I look at a mortgage as a financial “tool” to be used in the overall Retirement and Financial plan of an individual. It is a natural fit to include Jim’s expertise when discussing financing options with my clients, as well as offering them option from another “set of eyes”, so that they can make a sound and secure financial decision.

22. Lisa Ann Landry
    December 13, 2018 | 8:16 pm

When clients hear insurance agent it seems they think we sell all types of insurance. Clients don’t’ realize agents specialize in certain areas. So when a client calls me needing health insurance I can certainly help provide plans with sickness, illness, catastrophic, dental, vision and accident protection.

In contrast, sometimes clients want the plan to include life insurance and the best source for me to refer them to is Valerie Williams and Modern Woodmen of America to help them with that.

So think of it this way. Valerie helps them with their financial life and I help them with their healthcare life.

23. Dante Stephens
    December 13, 2018 | 9:52 pm

A straight line can easily be Ken DeRose Broeckert. Ken specializes in wildlife removal and I specialize in smart home installations. A great deal of my work is pulling low voltage wiring through attics and drop ceilings. In most of the older homes and businesses, we usually notice traps for catching rodents. This is the visual sign I need to speak with my client about Ken’s services and ask if they would like for me to make the introduction.

24. Carol Jensen-Linton
    December 13, 2018 | 10:06 pm

I love that I have aligned myself with a company whose mission is to Inspire Healthy Living Around the World. Juice Plus+ acts as a catalyst for making healthy changes in every day living. Grandma was right when she said, “Eat your fruits and vegetables every day”. The problem is only 10% of the population actually eats 7-13 servings daily. Whole-food nutrition rather than isolated vitamins is the answer. Juice Plus+ reduces 30 different fruits, vegetable, and berries into powder form and encapsulates the powder. Over 37 independent research studies show its effectiveness in the body. Most people report similar results.

Many of my clients like a more natural method of addressing health challenges. When diet alone cannot help, I call on Shannon Gonzales, licensed acupuncturist. She is able to help them whether it is an illness or injury. I love being able to help my clients who want to adopt a more holistic approach to health. Shannon is a wonderful resource for me to have.

25. Jason Muldrow
    December 13, 2018 | 11:32 pm

There are so many strong straight lines I can refer to on my team, which I am grateful for. My seat on the fabulous Peachtree City PowerCore team is Marketing Strategy. My top priority is to help our clients achieve their financial goals by leveraging the right combination of marketing tools, processes, and messaging to make more sales and keep more profits.

When the client’s digital needs go beyond marketing tools into more complex web applications requiring more robust data handling and integration, that’s when an easy straight line referral is made to Ryan Williams with the Websuation Group. They are better equipped to build custom web and mobile applications to help businesses improve their operations.

26. John Kimbell
    December 14, 2018 | 7:00 am

On my team we have lots of folks in the real property circle. As a closing attorney my business differs in that I process paperwork for the acquisition and sale of property rather than direct tangible services in relation to the land and home or buildings.

27. Shannon Gonzalez
    December 14, 2018 | 8:54 am

A great straight line referral for me is Carol Jensen-Linton with Juice Plus. So often my patients come to me with issues that can be addressed with herbs and acupuncture, but they also need to get their diet in order. It’s nearly impossible to get them to even think about eating a green vegetable. It’s easy for me to tell them if they aren’t ready to change their eating habits overnight, that adding the juice plus supplements and yummy treats into their diet is a baby step to healthier life choices. My patients are grateful for the options and It makes my job that much easier!

28. Megan Byrom
    December 14, 2018 | 9:24 am

Choosing only one member that I can draw a straight line to was difficult, but I’m going to choose Shannon Gonzalez. Shannon holds the acupuncturist seat on our team and is extremely knowledgeable in the field.

I love listening to and learning from Shannon and all of the ailments she can cure with acupuncture and herbs. She is extremely passionate about her profession and it shines through her bubbly personality. With a personal story of why she got involved in acupuncture, I know she is going to have my client’s best interest at heart and take very good care of them.

Often times, while talking with a client, they mention different medical complaints they have and the daily medication they take to curb the symptoms. Bad allergies, menopausal symptoms, anxiety or stress. This gives me the perfect opportunity to connect them with Shannon. I explain to them that she takes a natural route to curing common ailments, so they don’t have to take daily medications.