How to Show You Like Someone

The newest research shows that we do business with and refer business to people who like us.

You read that correctly.

Not people we like . . . people who like us.

This means the most important thing we can do for our own business success is let people know we like them.

We explored this at the Buckhead Team this morning.
Members listed behaviors that make them
feel liked.
I’ll bet you would like to see the list:

• Remember me: spell my name correctly; remember my birthday and other important events; call me to find out how I’m doing; show me my competitor’s marketing so I can do better; ask a question or make a comment about a previous conversation we’ve had or something they know is going on in my life; ask about my pet by name.
  • Invite me to an event; invite me into their network; invite me to speak at their group.
  • Refer business to me.
  • Smile at me; strong handshake; sound excited when we speak on the phone; eye contact that’s warm; greet me with an extended hand or a hug; give me their attention.
  • Ask me for my advice or professional opinion; share concerns with me.
  • Thank me for something; tell  me how they’ve used what I teach for their own benefit; tell me how my work makes them feel.
  • Participate in an event that I’m offering; comment on my social networking sites; ask questions about me; help me or someone I know find a job or job lead; forward an article or website that is interesting to me; offer their opinions on things I’m doing.
  • Respond to me: give quick informative email answers when I ask a question; see me when they are busy; respond Yes when I ask if I can use them as a reference.

Participate!

Respond!

Click comments to add your examples.

10 Responses to How to Show You Like Someone
  1. Kern Schwartz
    October 9, 2009 | 2:24 pm

I get a ton of e-mails and voice mail daily and at the end of the month I don’t always have time to respond, so I’ll send e-mail at night after my young kids are asleep.

Since most of my clients are Realtors and also work odd hours, I’ll often get a return e-mail late at night telling me to go to bed!

They know I have young children and it makes me feel appreciated when they recognize I’m taking personal time to respond to their questions.

2. Wendy Kinney
    October 9, 2009 | 2:26 pm

I agree with the person who said “Comment on my social networking sites.” I notice who comments on the blogs–and I interpret that as a sign of liking. (And I like them back!)

3. Debbie Callas
    October 10, 2009 | 10:48 am

Everyone wants to be appreciated! In this 24 hr. negative news cycle we live in, positives will rise to the top and if we all “pass the positives”, business may come of it.
    Thank you Wendy for sharing your wisdom!

4. Chris Anderson
    October 12, 2009 | 11:29 am

These are very good points. Our genuine behaviors of interest shown to others by participating and responding to their inquiries are meaningful. Thanks for the additional insight.

5. Kelly Vandever
    October 12, 2009 | 3:36 pm

To let someone know you like them, listen to what they have to say without interruption or one-ups-manship. Listen without planning what you’re going to say in response. Stay in the moment and really listen.

6. Anita Hampl
    October 13, 2009 | 11:05 am

Sounds like an enhanced version of “Love me, love my dog.”

(And NO, I cannot reveal his/her name here because it’s also my password . . .)

7. Bonnie Lelak
    October 13, 2009 | 1:37 pm

I agree with the one that said really listen to how someone is doing and responding with the positive. On Facebook commenting on someones status updates is key to letting them know you like them.

8. Goldie Dicks
    October 13, 2009 | 9:01 pm

Because so much of my job is listening to people to get to the root of their needs and wants, it is really gratifying to realize that I am using many of these tips and techniques in my everyday interaction with my clients. Most of my clients are very interesting people that leads exciting lives, so as I’m giving advise on interior matters, I’m seeking advise from them on finances, real estate, health , etc.

9. Craig Collins
    June 3, 2012 | 6:03 am

I always like it when someone remembers my name. It shows that they paid attention. Sometimes, I will write in my contacts a funny joke or detail that happen when I met the person. So, when I see them again I can bring it up or relate to it.

10. Damon Slate
    June 17, 2012 | 9:46 pm

Great article about showing your appreciation for someone. There are many people that remember my name and how to spell it. It shows they paid attention.