Share the Story of a Referral – 100% Qualified

Share the story of a referral that grew and married
and produced children and got big enough to host its own family reunion!

Who gave you the original referral?

Who did that person refer you to?

Did it go in a straight line, or branch from there?

How many new clients have you gotten because of that first referral?

How many branches are there now?

How long has this been going on?

Are you still in contact with the original referrer?

Referral Trigger for the week of August 27

Conversation led this week by the Highway 29 Team

Add your answer here to update your Member Profile page.

13 Responses to Share the Story of a Referral – 100% Qualified
  1. Jonathan Ongtingco
    August 27, 2012 | 11:54 am

I have not had many referrals that branch, but often referrals that bud several times. We are often called back to perform additional work for clients we are referred to.

One referral which did branch came from a former member who referred me to a dentist. During my work there I met a technician from his company who then referred me into additional customers. As we had more contact with their customers, other people with the company began referring us as well. I think that is more of a bush than a tree, but it’s still good referrals.

2. Sam Wilson
    August 27, 2012 | 12:01 pm

My branching referral is the Smith family. Started with one couple and their kids in May of 2011. He owns an IT company, after writing insurance for them, they suggested I talk to their cousin. That led to parents, followed by in-laws. After that, an uncle. This “family” of referrals value owning and running their own business, and respected what we could offer them in the way of expertise and advise. Price is what it is, but these folks were looking to be covered thoroughly which I and my team could offer them. The referrals continue today and I keep in touch.

This kind of referral that keeps on going and going is the life-blood of MOST businesses, and it’s why referrals are 75%+ of what we do.

3. Randy Brunson
    August 27, 2012 | 1:56 pm

My branch story starts with Pat. Pat was referred from a CPA whose son was in school with our children. The CPA I see about once a year. She is a retired librarian, as was her husband, who passed about six years ago. She referred us to James & Linda who is a librarian, George and Carol, who is a teacher, and whose daughter is a librarian, Don and Denise, who are a teacher and librarian, and Keith, who is a librarian and musician. Keith referred us to Lynne, who is a librarian, and Nowell, who is a librarian. Lynne referred us to Val and Tom, who are a retired state employee and a professor. Nowell referred us to Roland, an IT professional, and Bobby, a pharmacist. So, from one person who became a client 15 years ago, has come, either directly or indirectly, the opportunity to serve ten households, representing a meaningful portion of our client base. Pat remains a client, as do all those she has referred.

4. Bobby Woods
    August 27, 2012 | 10:29 pm

My branching story is from Jerry, a referral from a team that I sub on frequently. Jerry, a small business owner, got coverage for his employees,which filled in some gaps on there regular medical coverage. He later got a dental coverage for his family, which was to help with the upcoming costs of his children’s orthodontics. He has referred me to other family members, and we are still looking to go further along this branch. He has been a good ambassador for my business, and as always the case any claim payment makes for a more convincing testimonial. I hope in his case it is only from orthodontic claims.

5. Wayne Thompson
    August 28, 2012 | 6:03 pm

My story of how a referral grew is from a client I met in 2000. I got to know the Tenjarla family very well and they have referred many friends and family members to me over the years. I am so blessed by their friendship and the business our relationship has generated. This all started with him liking me as a person and the service I provided and it just grew from there.

6. Andrew Bell
    August 29, 2012 | 8:13 am

In servicing a client one day I identified a banking need for Mrs. Cam. Cam was so happy after she left, that she took it upon herself to go home and share her success with her family. In doing so, I have helped her husband with a new car loan, her two sisters with home equity lines, and over 10 of her friends at church with many different banking services. This has spanned over a two year time frame and she’s still sending people by. I am very grateful for Cam, her family, and her extended friend family.

7. Joyce Ray
    August 29, 2012 | 9:42 am

My story begins about twelve years ago with my friend, Gloria, who asked if I could help her son and his new wife find a starter home. He then introduced me to a couple of his newly married friends also looking to purchase a home. Each of those couples has asked me to help them sell their first home in order to move up and each have introduced me to friends who also needed help. From one friendship, I have indeed become the “realtor for life” for approximately six households, resulting in nine transactions and the tree is constantly blooming with new fruit as we continue to stay in touch with each other. Sometimes it is just a phone call asking for my professional opinion or looking for a referral for home related issues, but I value the fact that they feel they can call me to get answers when they have questions or needs.

8. Lisa French
    August 29, 2012 | 9:42 am

We were doing private speed & agility for a high school softball player named Tracey. When her coach saw how much she had improved, we were hired to train the team. The following year the Tracey went to another travel softball team and we were hired to do the speed & agility for them as well. The best is that a second player from the original team started training with us privately and we ended up doing S&A for her new team as well! Both teams ended up playing each other and we were invited to come watch the S&A rivalry between the girls! WE WON and are still in touch with the original player, Tracey.

9. Buchi Osakwe
    August 29, 2012 | 10:27 am

One of my best referrals came from a good friend of mine, Paul. Back in 2004 when I first started with Liberty Mutual Insurance, Paul introduced me to his friend who was a loan officer that worked out of a small office with 2 other loan officers. They all started using my services for their clients who needed home insurance. Paul’s friend changed companies to a larger mortgage company and referred my services to about 5 more loan officers, all of which started referring their clients to me. Between both mortgage companies, I insured over 30 homes. Many of these clients are still with me today; most switched their automobile insurance and other policies to Liberty Mutual and have referred family and friends to me as well. And yes, Paul is still my good friend and client.

10. Steve Cannon
    August 29, 2012 | 4:06 pm

My example is me. In the late 90’s, I had the financial planning seat on a referral networking group in Tucker. I was just back from sailing, single, sharing a condo with another bachelor. The group, like me at the time, had very little structure and dissolved in about 18 months. However within 2 years I was married and for some reason my new wife wasn’t excited about sharing a couch with me at my Buddy’s condo. So we had a house and soon she started selling and renovating houses in East Point. No less than 30 policies were written with the Insurance person from my old team who I hadn’t talked to in 2 years. The travel agent from the team booked our Honeymoon trip. My dad and I incorporated a business and the CPA, Banker, and lawyer from that team did business. The new company we had needed to send holiday gifts so the gift basket lady did well. One of my clients needed a website and a designer who had only come to a handful of meetings before went defunct got the gig. But by now you get the picture.

Steve Cannon
    Health Insurance is changing and you need to know about it
    404-575-1976

11. Bob Sill
    August 30, 2012 | 2:55 pm

Several years ago a couple walked into my office. They were referred by a family member of mine. I prepared their taxes and we had a long talk about everything imaginable. From politics to health. They were (are) very nice people and the next year they referred their divorced daughter and her husband to me. This time after I did both returns there were four of us in the discussion. The following year another couple came with them and this was the ex-husband and his new wife. The daughter had referred him because they share the deduction for their child. Neither could remember who got it the previous year.

12. Natasha Davis-Bowen
    August 31, 2012 | 1:24 am

Just under a year ago I had the pleasure of being asked to facilitate the launch of an International Women’s Think Tank (IWTT). Well, during our launch event I met a woman by the name of Diane. She & I found great interest in each others energy so we went for lunch a week later. During lunch we found such synergy & camaraderie. Shortly after, she introduced me to a county official running for office who needed a Marketing Strategist to help her win. This client then referred my Business & Marketing services to a local restaurant owner who needed to put a stronger marketing campaign together. Diane then referred me to another company who needed re-branding strategies. While conducting a strategic planning meeting at a Hotel that Diane adored, she happened to be speaking with the General Manager who stated they were in desperate need of a Marketing consultant who could bring more attention to the Hotel. As soon as I walked in the hotel lobby, Diane literally dragged me in front of the GM and shortly after I took on the project. Recently Diane contracted my services to initiate the launch of her private consulting company. I am still in contact with Founder of the IWTT and with Diane as well. This proved to be a perfect example of a great business marriage with alot of children!

13. Stephanie Patterson
    August 31, 2012 | 8:38 am

We respond to a lot of online quote requests in insurance. I spoke with a lady from an online quote request and I helped her with her needs. We met in person at her place of employment so that I could deliver her documents and I asked her for several referrals. She gave them to me and the tree began growing from there. A few of the referrals included her daughter, her employer and some of her friends. We ended up helping her daughter, who also referred several of her friends. We also helped her employer who in turn referred several business associates and personal friends. This tree has many branches and still continues today. Asking and meeting them in person was the key. We are still in touch and are good friends.