Referral Trigger for the week of July 22

Conversation led this week by the Greater Gwinnett Team, all responses welcome.

Today we’ll each share the gift of mentoring.

With everything you know now, what is the most
important thing you can share about generating maximum referrals from our PowerCore Team?

**To maximize today’s benefit, don’t repeat a tip that someone has already given, though you could expand on it.

Comment below to share your perspective.

23 Responses to Referral Trigger for the week of July 22
  1. Roochu Shah
    July 19, 2013 | 10:37 am

The most important thing that I learned is that being specific is more important than being general. Telling a story about one of my customers triggers ideas. Also, not giving a long list of products and services but focusing on one helps the team understand and recognize it better.

2. David Citrin
    July 19, 2013 | 11:11 am

PowerCore is all about teamwork. This means that we all work together towards a common goal–growing each others’ business. When you bring solid connections to team members, everyone, not just the recipient, realizes that you are a reliable part of that process. Lead slips from the team are the natural response.

3. Vonda Henry
    July 19, 2013 | 1:59 pm

Repetition, repetition, repetition. People do not remember things unless they hear it more than once. When I tell someone I am a mortgage consultant. They hear – mundane loan processor. But when I use four of my info minutes to tell them that I do self-employed loans and the intricacies of this type of loan and the types of IRS forms I have to review. It sticks in their minds.

4. Wendy Kinney
    July 19, 2013 | 2:03 pm

Show credibility in every way: participation, attendance, referrals, coffee, follow through, humor, web profile, self promotion, attention, preparation, introductions. Referrals are earned through credibility.

• Robert Gray
      July 22, 2013 | 3:02 pm

Absolutely. Credibility builds trust and team members are comfortable to refer their clients to people whom they trust.

5. Mary Sheppard
    July 21, 2013 | 1:27 pm

Whenever possible I use the services of my team members myself. Then when I refer them to my friends and clients, I have complete confidence in making a good connection between team member and prospect. I still use the services of members from my team back in the late 90’s when initially joined PowerCore.

6. Richard Chalmers
    July 22, 2013 | 9:12 am

To generate maximum referrals be repetitive over a period of time. Tell a story showing what service you provided for someone, how you helped them out of a situation and how you can do the same for others. Be genuine, be sincere letting your team members see that you care about the service you provide.

7. Robert Gray
    July 22, 2013 | 3:00 pm

I would say that a team of “givers” will generate a great deal of referrals. When team members are thinking about how they can help each other to market and grow their businesses, rather than what they can get from their team members, the team can achieve an incredible spirit and level of enthusiasm. This giving nature has taken me a while to figure out but I feel great when I can make a connection to help someone on my team. If I can do something good for someone, then they are more likely to do something good for me. Then the giving momentum builds.

The other factor is to be thinking of referrals all week long, not just for the 90 minutes when your team is together. Opportunities present themselves all the time. Don’t wait for the meeting to scratch your head and try to figure out what to do. Be on the lookout all the time and write up a referral record when the idea hits you.

8. Scott Brunson
    July 22, 2013 | 3:35 pm

Credibility is number 1. If your team members don’t or can’t trust you, they won’t trust you with their best clients. Show credibility by showing up at all meetings possible, contribute to the meetings, and give examples where you have helped someone out by “doing what you said you would do”

9. Kevin Guidry
    July 22, 2013 | 3:50 pm

Craft several infominutes (AKA “Elevator Pitch” to some) that focus on a very specific thing. A properly executed Infominute is great for your PowerCore meeting. Alternatively you will find yourself using it in a waiting room, standing in line at the grocery, or dare I say, an elevator!

10. Jay Bell
    July 22, 2013 | 4:03 pm

One way you can maximize referrals to yourself is by keeping in contact with members that leave PowerCore. It sounds counter-intuitive, but turnover can be a good thing for those who stay if you keep in touch with those who leave. I get more referrals from past members than I do from current members. That is not a knock on current members. I have been in PowerCore for @ 15 years and have met many, many people over the years. So, look for the long term and stay in touch!!

11. Sandra Minnes
    July 22, 2013 | 4:08 pm

Reliability, great attitude, knowlege, and promptness is very important to building your credibilty. You must do what you say your are going to do, when you say you are going to do it, and do it correctly with a smile.

12. Bill Parker
    July 22, 2013 | 4:15 pm

Get involved!! the more exposure the better, ie volunteer at meetings, lunch and coffee
    anything to get members to remember your expertise in specialty area.

13. Jared Barwick
    July 22, 2013 | 4:33 pm

Eye Contact. Each week we listen to individual one minute presentations and two seven minute presentations; each presenter has a goal in mind: share information that will lead to referrals. If I can make eye contact with the presenter the entire time they are speaking that lets them know I am paying attention. This does a number of things: 1) allows me to gather the most information that I can from the presenter about his or her business, 2) gives the speaker confidence that what he or she is saying is important to the team (showing them their value to the team), and 3) building credibility for myself (leading to more $ for me).

To refer a client to someone at the table requires that we know what it is that they do and know what type of client to look for. I make it a goal each week to listen attentively to each presenter and make eye contact with each presenter. I’ll see you all tomorrow!

• Samantha Simmons
      July 22, 2013 | 6:54 pm

Reciprocity. That is what is important in a good PowerCore team. You give referrals and get good referrals. Having good people in your group that care about how the team performs and isn’t just there for the breakfast!

14. Mark Sheridan
    July 22, 2013 | 4:57 pm

Let every one know that you are an expert in your field and take the time to answer all Questions like you are talking to your mother!

15. Rick Word
    July 23, 2013 | 1:11 am

Get to know your team members personally as well as their businesses. That makes it easier to recognize opportunities to refer them. And be sure to let team members have the same opportunities to learn about you and your business as well.

16. Vince Williams
    July 23, 2013 | 10:54 am

You must show the group two things: that you have integrity in business dealings, that you are reliable. So when someone passes you a referral, they know they can trust you to be honest and that you follow the referral through properly.

17. MAXOclean
    July 23, 2013 | 9:52 pm

We are new to PowerCore and agree with all of the above. Because we are new, we have yet to establish our credibility. We don’t expect anyone to refer us, until they know we really do walk the talk. And the only way to building that trust, integrity and so forth, is relationship. The one thing for us is building relationship. We joined PowerCore knowing that we would have to be prepared to give, give, give, and not take, take, take. We see the potential to equip, empower, and encourage others is built into the DNA of PowerCore and it’s members through relationship.

18. Steve Cannon
    July 24, 2013 | 3:36 pm

Don’t be afraid to ask dumb questions about someone else’s industry, but know where and when to ask them. To pass (and be eligible to receive) great referrals it is important for me to know the workings of someone’s industry and their place in that industry. Coffee’s, lunch, or over pints is the best way for me to ask the basic questions about a team member’s business that I may not be able to find out during the meeting time. And when my intention is to learn about someone’s business so that I can refer them, than there is a good bit of generosity and patience for my “stupid” questions. So the key for me is to be consistently scheduling coffees, be willing to learn the key triggers that alert me to referrals, and be willing to follow through with the connection. My grandmother use to say “what comes around, goes around” which never made much sense to me as a kid, but has given me much referral success in business.

Steve Cannon
    All about Health Insurance
    404-575-1076

19. Bob Darden
    July 25, 2013 | 6:14 pm

It is all about building credibility. The way you build credibility is to show up.
    Show up at PowerCore meetings. Show up for lunches/coffees. Show up
    for referral meetings. Just show up!!

20. Michael Matthys
    July 26, 2013 | 2:44 pm

The most important thing one can do to generate maximum referals
    is getting to know others on your team and other teams whether it
    is subbing or getting together for eating or drinking.
    That could include cookouts or even a party.

21. Chris Fletcher
    July 26, 2013 | 3:55 pm

Treat everybody the same regardless of what size client they are or may be.