Referral Trigger for the Week of April 28

Conversation led this week by the Buckhead Team, all responses welcome.

Be Deliberate

Happy Young Woman With Phone

What practices have you put in place to be
more deliberate in your referrals?
Do you make immediate phone call connections
from the car, after our meeting?
Do you have time, one afternoon each week,
to complete the referral records you start?

Comment below to share your perspective.

17 Responses to Referral Trigger for the Week of April 28
  1. Bo Riddle
    April 25, 2014 | 10:44 am

Rather than a dedicated time, which makes a ton of sense, I place the pink copy of the referral by the coffee pot at home where I see them every morning. I don’t move them until I act on them. Invariably, I grab them after a day or so and knock them out early in the morning before work

2. Katie Carter
    April 25, 2014 | 11:57 am

When I receive an email referral, I try to make a phone call initially to establish contact. That phone call starts a relationship that I hope will grow into a booked bride. Once I have made the call, I send an email that contains my pricing structure, and several links to emails regarding wedding planning.

The faster I can make that initial contact, the better.

If the referral comes from a person my approach is very much the same. The benefit to having a personal referral is that there is a basic relationship of trust established between the referrer, and the referred. I can step in being confidently referred to the potential client.

I always try to return emails and phone calls as they come in…every step of the way.

3. Dr. Heidi Arabia
    April 25, 2014 | 1:38 pm

I made three envelopes for my referral records. Completed, working and need to deliver. Each morning I look through the working envelope to see what steps I need to take. When the referral is complete I add it to the complete envelope. I carry these in my powercore book which, as a new member doesn’t leave my side.

4. Dr. James Myers
    April 28, 2014 | 9:32 am

I typically warm-up a referral before I write the referral slip, and once the referral is made a make it a point to follow up with both the prospect and the person I sent them to to make sure the connection was completed.
    For referrals that are given to me I try and make contact with that referral the same day as I was given the referral.

5. Bonnie Ellis
    April 28, 2014 | 9:52 am

I keep my referrals slips handy so that I can document them before the meeting. I will make immediate phone call connections from my car after the meeting if necessary. I set aside Tuesday afternoon (when possible) to focus on my referral records and another other PowerCore duties.

6. Gregory Golden
    April 28, 2014 | 11:48 am

I take notes on our Agenda each week. When I get back to the office after the meeting, I sit down and make the connections immediately, by phone or e-mail, so that I don’t forget and the person to whom I am passing the referral knows that I am serious about making the connection. I will do the same thing with regard to coffees and lunches that I try to schedule.

7. Russell Earnest
    April 28, 2014 | 4:13 pm

I don’t have a dedicated time but I try to get the referral made as quickly as possible so I don’t forget. I received a referral from someone on another team recently that was a long time coming but when it did come was very complete with a short paragraph about me and the person I was to connect to. This made connecting very natural and I appreciate the extra effort she went to on my behalf even if it did take a little longer to develop. I’m rethinking what my referrals should look like.

8. Jason Bates
    April 29, 2014 | 8:54 am

Each time I am meeting with a client, prospect, or PowerCore member I ask them what is their pain and how can I help. Most of the time it has nothing to do with my line of work, financial services. I make sure to keep myself equipped with the appropriate contact information on my phone no matter what the need may be. Do you need help listing, financing, insuring, fixing, surveying, or inspecting a home? I know someone who can help you with that. Imagine being the go-to resource our clients can rely on no matter what need they may have. It is important to connect to the referrals given to us in a timely manner. I usually ask the person who passed the referral when is the best time to reach out. As for referral records, I keep them on my desk at work ready for the next opportunity on a daily basis.

9. Tim Anderson
    April 29, 2014 | 10:50 am

Practices that I have put in place to be more deliberate in giving referrals include setting aside time to think about where I come in contact with candidates who might be interested in a team member’s business. I work all over the Atlanta area so making sure that a referral is within range is important. If I am working in the McDonough area, I wouldn’t be able to refer an expecting mother to Dr. Murad, for example. So when I am in Alpharetta working in a new development, this summer I am making a plan to look for young families and have Dr. Murad’s cards on me. The primetime for my business is seasonal so since I have not been in PowerCore during a summer I am planning on my habits being set so when I am out talking with potential clients I am ready to refer.
    Making immediate phone call connections from the car after our meeting, I would admittedly say I have not necessarily done. However, this is a great question because during our meetings (especially during the Referral Trigger ) new possible referrals can come to mind. I know need to be intentional and reach out to people as soon as I can so that I don’t forget to make the connection.
    I do make time once a week specifically on Wednesday after our meeting to sit down at my office desk and reach out to referrals given to me as well as reach out to the people I may have thought about to make a connection. Setting time for PowerCore really pays off!

10. Debra Donaldson Scott
    April 29, 2014 | 12:35 pm

I write a referral record during our meeting when something in an infominute or 7 minute presentation brings a likely referral to mind so I will have a pink carbon and will remember to pass the connection along. I have a specific bag that I bring to PowerCore and I bring it into my office after the meetings on Thursdays and leave it in front of the drawers of my desk so that I can’t open the drawers until I take out the pink carbons and email introductions or whatever connection I am offering to a teammate has been done. I find email to be the most convenient and consistent way for me to introduce gate openers, and schedule coffees and introduce prospects to my team members. I will then move my bag and its contents out of my own way and move on to other work or activity.

Also on Thursday mornings at home prior to our meetings while I am waiting for my coffee to brew, I try to create at least one or two deliberate referrals or connections for someone on my team and create a referral record and use the pink carbon as my reminder to actually follow through on my commitment as above. Frequently, my clients during the week will have needs which require the services of my powercore connections. I also introduce these by email using the same methodology of the pink carbon from the referral record written at the time I write my infominute Wednesday evenings.

Because my schedule is so varied, the consistent behavior of blocking my desk drawer to create the need to send the emails makes me consistently refer as I say I will using the pink carbons as my tool.

11. Michael Shern
    April 29, 2014 | 3:12 pm

The referral process must be started when it is fresh in your mind. It would be sad if an opportunity was lost because you got sidetracked or it slipped your mind. That being said the process should also be allowed to take whatever time is required. Some people your are trying to refer may take some time to move but with your help it will happen.

12. Kevin Ames
    April 30, 2014 | 2:21 pm

On Friday mornings after the Buckhead Team’s meeting, referrals are likely to be planning their weekend. Monday’s are super hectic for everyone. So I have set Tuesday afternoon as the time to connect to referrals. Of course if there is an urgency for an immediate question, or project, I’ll make contact right away.
    Since commercial photography is a service / product that usually has several components that oftentimes change–the requirements of the project, subject matter, usage, logistics and so forth–the first contact is to get acquainted and to make a connection. Photography tells a client’s story. Before a story gets in front of my camera, I invest the time to understand my client’s story and (importantly) the one I am to tell. The whole process gets started with a Tuesday afternoon telephone call or email.

13. Marshall Tucker
    April 30, 2014 | 11:10 pm

What seems to work best for me is to put all the pink slips into my Team Roster hanging a little out the top like bookmarks. After our meeting on Friday, my Team Roster had a place on my desk where it sits and stares at me with its pink tongues hanging out the top as a visual reminder that I have some referrals to work on.

14. Jeff Paige
    May 1, 2014 | 10:28 am

The tendency for me would be that I’m with a client when a referral opportunity arises. At that time I will usually call the person first while the client is with me and get them connected immediately. Once that happens, the “powercore pass” is merely a formality for the weeks works.

If I did not have an opportunity to call I will have already given the information to my client and worked as and advocate for the person I am referring them to. Now that the Oven has been “pre-heated, a phone call from the person being referred to should seal the deal.

On rare occasions I will have a referral that needs warming and when that happens, I’ll usually call the referral on Friday after the meeting to complete the warm up process. The person being referred to has had time to “marinate” in the brain of my client, so they should be thoroughly saturated with “close business” thoughts.

15. Dianne Moore
    May 1, 2014 | 11:50 am

I try to do an immediate three-way email introduction as soon as I become aware of a possible referral fit. Three-way emails are much more effective than just giving a referral name to someone.

Dianne

16. Mark Thomas
    May 1, 2014 | 1:59 pm

Every Friday after our meeting, from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon, unless I am in court, I focus solely on marketing. That time block is highlighted in red on my Outlook calendar and shows up every week to remind me. I find that this particular time block on Friday is effective because many people are in their offices and readily accessible. I also make sure to respond on Friday to any referrals I receive during PowerCore as well as schedule upcoming coffees/lunches.

17. Rebecca Zimmerman
    May 4, 2014 | 8:26 pm

I try to follow up with referrals as the opportunity arises, even if that means pulling into a parking lot and handling business in my car