Referral Trigger for the week of August 24

Conversation led by the Sandy Springs Team

d-logo (11)

Share a cliché that prospects use as an excuse when they don’t want to do business with you.

Now tell us a new reason, not the usual and customary reason,
a reason we’ve never heard before, why that clichéd excuse is not true.

Click ‘Leave a comment’ below to share your perspective.

24 Responses to Referral Trigger for the week of August 24
  1. Brandon Stewart
    August 21, 2015 | 3:37 pm

One of the most common cliche reason I get is well let me speak to my spouse about this and I’ll give you a call back later. 9 times out of 10 they never call back.

The reason why this is sometimes false is because as you go through the application process, you may uncover that that person is the actual decision maker and the spouse has nothing to do with it in the first place. One of the ways to find out if they are just putting you off or trying to politely reject you is by asking when is a good time to speak with both then and the spouse to answer any questions or concerns so that we can move forward with the process. Of they hesitate or continue to put you off then it’s safe to take them out of the follow-up.

2. Lisa Wrenn
    August 26, 2015 | 2:05 pm

Sometimes people who want to sell their house will say that they know several Realtors so they don’t need to speak with me. Once I talk with them more it becomes evident that even though they might know other Realtors, those agents are not actively working the business, they are not out prospecting and are complacent to take business as it comes. The client is going to want someone representing them that is a go getter and will go after the business whether it is securing a new client, finding a buyer for their listing or finding a home for their buyer. Working with me will help them realize the goal they want to reach

3. Eric Jensen
    August 26, 2015 | 4:03 pm

When a prospect doesn’t want to do business with me they usually say “I’m just going to hold onto your paperwork and think about it”. 9 times out of 10, this means they want to hire someone else. I know this is not true because if they contacted me they have already “thought about it”. They are ready to hire a lawyer to help with their injury case. Sometimes I can talk them into using me because I specialize in helping people who have been injured get compensation from the at fault parties. However, sometimes they are just going to use cousin Jimmy’s criminal defense lawyer, who happens to dabble in personal injury. That’s a huge mistake, but I do the best I can to talk them out of it.

4. Terisha Tatter
    August 26, 2015 | 10:37 pm

” Since massages are just for relaxation, I save massages when I go on vacation”. When I hear this I always agree that being amongst sand and sun makes me want all the luxuries life has to offer. However, since good therapeutic massages entail more than oil lightly rubbed on my skin, I get regular massages to better my health. I take their perplexed look as an invitation to share how massage improves muscle recovery post workout, releases endorphins, increases T killer cells boosting immune function, can stop heartburn in its tracks, improves circulation, increases flexibity not to mention provides pain relief, just to name a few benefits. Besides, “vacation” or even “spa” massages tend to be pricey ($125 /50 minutes -$275/ hour), because you are paying for the surroundings not necessarily the quality. I charge $75 per hour, that’s nearly four massages for the price of one vacation massage with longer lasting results. So why wait for vacation when you can get a great massage today! A good high quality massage is more affordable than you think.#youdeserveit

5. Reid Horne
    August 26, 2015 | 10:45 pm

I actually don’t get a cliche when a prospect chooses not to work with me. I usually get a standard response something along the lines of “Thanks for your time, but we’ve chosen to go with another contractor.” I respond thanking them for the update and wishing them luck on their project. There is a very broad range of contractors and price points, and a corresponding range of risk and quality. When the wheels come off a project, it always winds up being more expensive to correct and complete a project than to have chosen a middle or higher tier option.

6. Corbin Cook
    August 27, 2015 | 12:23 am

In the world of business and family protection planning, the cost of life insurance is often times misunderstood. A cliche that comes to mind is “I can’t afford to purchase more life insurance”. Of course we all know that everyone would want better protection for their family if it didn’t require taking funds from somewhere of a higher priority.

The reason this is not true when someone works with me is that throughout our process we seek to create more wealth and more benefits with no additional out of pocket cost. Our model helps us identify areas of inefficient and uncoordinated dollars. Then we put those inefficient dollars back to work to maximize your families protection and overall wealth without having to add additional outlay to your plan. The client comes away with a better understanding of their families true needs without the resistance of how much is this going to cost.

7. Paige Hudgins
    August 27, 2015 | 8:14 am

Interior designers are too expensive is certainly a cliché. Since I’m a bargain shopper and like to empower my clients to do a lot of the work themselves, I’m never too expensive. Plus, I always give clients an estimate of the design fee and never charge more than what was agreed upon. Sometimes clients are concerned that the design won’t be to their personal liking or taste. I never impose my personal design preferences on a client. I make my design recommendations using classic principles and elements of design, am a big fan of “form follows function”, and always strive to create a space that reflects my client’s personality and preferences.

8. Shawn Bisacco
    August 27, 2015 | 8:24 am

Sometimes a patient that enters our office, after examining them, taking their X-rays, possibly reviewing their MRI and explaining the injuries sustained from an accident, a patient might say he wants to wait on treatment, or “let’s circle back” meaning later they may consider treating and using our services.

Well in personal injury, treating our patients, delays in treatments could mean denials of payment, and problems like arthritis down the road. This year we had a former patient loose her track scholarship, after her coach noticed her limping after an accident, and her times all got worse. Her mother contacted us again, wanting us to document the loss, but her daughter never followed through with treatment.

We cannot let the patient “circle back later” to possible treat for a recent injury. The patient either treats, or we close file due to non compliancy. The cost to the patient could be arthritis and or loss of money by wages or as in this case, Scholarship money.

9. Wesley Anderson
    August 27, 2015 | 8:44 am

Sometimes potential clients will ask me if I’m going to make them quack like a duck.

My response is, “Only if you pay me to. But, that seems kind of silly.”

These potential clients have seen hypnosis stage shows, and they are afraid that I will humiliate them. Stage show participants are all volunteers. They know they’re going to be asked to do silly things for entertainment, and they’re willing to go along.

As a hypnotherapist, I have the deepest respect for the dignity of my clients. My job is to empower them to accomplish some things they haven’t been able to manage on their own. For example, I helped a middle-age women eliminate her fear of elevators and heights so she could live with her elderly mother in a high-rise apartment that had a 2/74 concierge. Her mother needed that because she may assistance in case of a medical emergency.

10. Randy Garrett
    August 27, 2015 | 9:25 am

A cliche i occasionally will hear is that they are just going to go direct to the bank lender because their rates will be better because they won/t be paying a middle man i.e. me (mortg broker).
    That cliche is farthest from the truth in that i (broker) work thru the lender’s wholesale channels whose business model offers different rate pricing than that of the lender’s retail arm. In addition, retail lenders set one rate and price normally for all their lenders throughout their co whereas i have latitude to price more competitively to be competive in the mkt. Two separate business models. In addition, as a broker, i have access to shop mortgage rates with up to 15 wholesale lenders.

11. Carla Collis-Gesite
    August 27, 2015 | 9:43 am

A common cliché prospects use as an excuse for not working with me (or any life coach): I can’t afford it. Of course, there are times when budget truly is the issue. Yet, more often, there are other issues at play.

Fear is frequently behind their resistance. Making big changes can be intimidating. People often fear the unknown. They are sometimes afraid they don’t have what it takes to go for their dreams. They often worry about what others will think. And, people wonder, What if I reach my goal and life isn’t how I envisioned?

I ask prospects what reaching their goal/dream will give them that they don’t have in their lives now. I ask what’s kept them from achieving their goal so far, on their own.

Exploring their answers to these questions gives them new perspective. Their fear shrinks in comparison to the benefits of reaching their goal. Once they realize this, investing in coaching makes more sense.

12. Stephen Cohen
    August 27, 2015 | 9:44 am

“It seems like you know what you’re doing, but how do I know you really have the necessary experience to do this?”
    Some times, when you ask to many questions, the client becomes intimidated, because you seem to be over selling. I create a conversation to ask every detail I know that will create a successful event. My proposals reflect the answers that the client has first answered. As a result, if the client accepts the proposal with all the items except the ice ( for example ), I will leave the words ice on the job sheet but have a zero in the quantity. That way, all parties know who supplies that item.

After 20 years doing events, all details are important and need to be known by both parties with out a sales pressured hidden agenda. Trust is something that takes time to build, so if it is a hurdle for my potential client, I need to be honest and consistent across the board to overcome the objection. Be forthcoming with information and share testimonials, case studies and references that will take away some of the uncertainty and give the client confidence in my ability to get the job done.

13. Rick Daigle
    August 27, 2015 | 9:44 am

Normally, when a potential client contacts me they:
    1. have a problem and sought me out
    2. found that I was the top-rated QuickBooks consultant in Atlanta

They know I have the skills and experience to help with whatever the issue is. I don’t often get excuses but when I do it is almost always over my rate. I explain that because I have been doing this for 9+ years and have every possible certification that I will be much more efficient in completing the tasks necessary to get the job done, and in the long run they will pay me less than they might pay someone with a lower rate. Plus they can be confident that the job will be done right the first time.

14. Debra Donaldson Scott
    August 27, 2015 | 9:50 am

The most frequent cliche’ I hear is “I don’t have enough money to invest.” It is even more critical to take advantage of expertise and efficiency with less resources and smaller margin of error. People fear losing control of their money. I prioritize allowing for liquidity, longevity and lifestyle for short term and long term goals. Clients must be able to be comfortable asking questions and knowing I won’t be judgmental of previous mistakes and that I genuinely care about the financial and personal well-being of all my clients, even the “small” ones.

15. Mark McClintock
    August 27, 2015 | 1:50 pm

A cliché that I typically receive is that they don’t have the budget to move forward at this time, or that they would rather implement our services at the beginning of the year when marketing budgets refresh.

A cliché that I would consider not true is if someone responded that they didn’t utilize any marketing sources at all to grow their business.

16. Duncan Cottrell
    August 27, 2015 | 3:50 pm

“That’s nice, but we already have an alarm system and a dog.” I hear this sometimes when I have mentioned that I provide intrusion prevention services. Nevertheless, there is usually a pause and an “Ahah!” that sneaks out of them once I explain how my security reinforcements hold the doors intact and prevent an intruder from getting inside. Can an alarm and a dog do this? I think not.

17. Erin S. Stone
    August 27, 2015 | 6:22 pm

Potential clients often tell me, “Our case is simple and we can just work it out ourselves.” In a divorce situation, this rarely works. By definition people who are getting divorced are not getting along and don’t agree on much of anything. When I hear this type of statement, I start asking questions about the details. What are the plans for the children? How much is the house worth? How much debt is owed? Are there retirement funds that need to be divided? How much child support is needed? Does either party need alimony? Most people realize that there are a lot more issues than they realized and that they need some help figuring out how to resolve their case and plan for their future.

18. Vickie Kealy
    August 28, 2015 | 8:58 am

Potential clients often tell me that they don’t want to consult with or hire an attorney because we are too expensive. The cliche response is that it’s cheaper to work with an attorney at the beginning than to correct the mistakes you’ll make without one. Of course, that can be true, but I structure my fees so that they are predictable and reasonable so that my clients feel comfortable knowing that they can budget for the work I perform. Then, unlike do-it-yourself legal options, I am available for follow up questions and support. I strive to put legal services within reach of every small business.

19. Sid Plait
    August 28, 2015 | 1:28 pm

If the client is referred to me, there is no issue. I close about 98% of all referrals. However, a number of prospective clients come to me from the Internet.

Typically, those calls start with the caller telling me the problem. Then I go over what I do. The last thing we talk about is my fee.

In the past, it was likely the caller would then say, “Let me call you back.” Of course, they almost never did.

I began inserting parts of my InfoMinutes into the conversation that are relevant to the problem the caller has called me about (thank you, Wendy!). I also include a little history regarding my background in high tech.

When we get to the closing and they say, “Let me call you back”, I ask them to keep my phone number and tell them that the odds are they’ll get what they pay for. I tell them that it’s likely that I will get the job done more quickly than someone they hire at a lower fee, and they may not get the results they want.

Then, before hanging up, if they haven’t asked me to do the work, I assure them that if they run into snags with whoever they hire, they can call me and that I’m happy to talk about what the other tech has done and what I think will resolve the problem.

My hit rate now has gone from about 10% to about 36% (give or take), which I consider pretty high. Most people who call me from the ‘Net are price shopping. They have no idea what techs charge today.

Modifying my delivery has made a huge difference in my returns from Internet callers. PowerCore gets most of the credit.

20. Gai Lynn McCarthy
    August 28, 2015 | 3:57 pm

On occasion, when a potential new client is meeting with me to determine whether we should work together, I have been told either that preparing a bankruptcy case or completing a proof of claim is just a matter of filling in a form. After I have an opportunity to ask them questions about their debts or their claim, they begin to understand the complexities of filing for bankruptcy or filing a claim in a bankruptcy case. Once they understand that they could do more damage by handling the matter themselves, I end up respresnting them.

21. Delphine LaGroon
    September 1, 2015 | 11:44 am

The cliché that I hear most often is that insurance is just too expensive, they do not need it — it is just a racquet. I’m always bewildered by this statement, because, I believe everyone should know they need insurance. In some instances the State requires them to have it. After I sit down with them, and explain to them, insurance provides protection to them and their family. Also, it can be used as an investment tool. Often times, I have to point out things they are spending money on that are not of real value , compared to the value of insurance. I tell them we pay out insurance claims daily to people who at one time thought they did not need it.

22. Dr. Brittany Valmond
    September 2, 2015 | 1:18 pm

The cliche’ that I get is “I’m not interested”. I believe the reason for this response is because the individual is just not educated on what chiropractic truly is. Along with that comes a sense of a “fear of the unknown”. Many individuals are stuck in the habit of traditional health care and they pretty much feed into everything that their PCP recommends. Don’t get me wrong MD’s are very intelligent individuals in their field of work, but as a chiropractor I know that I am capable of helping an individual where their health is concerned as well!

23. Darrell Vaughan
    September 3, 2015 | 3:32 pm

I usually receive a blank look, which tells me they don’t fully understand what my services are. It’s easy to confuse merchant services and telecom process optimization with actually selling those services, which is not what I do. Once a client understands that I don’t sell these services, that I work to return capital to their budgets, they usually express an interest.

24. Patricia Davis
    September 4, 2015 | 11:32 am

I get the response of “I’m healthy, I eat right and excercise regularly”. I tell them that feeling healthy does not mean that you are healthy and if you are then you need to maintain it by strengthening the immune system. This response tells me that I should engage them in a conversation about the function of the immune system and the role it plays in preventing and fighting disease.