Referral Trigger for the week of August 31

Conversation led by the Smyrna Team

d-logo (12)

How do you show that you respect someone?

What behavior of yours is meant to show them that you find them credible?

Click ‘Leave a comment’ below to share your perspective.

11 Responses to Referral Trigger for the week of August 31
  1. Rochelle Marecheau
    September 2, 2015 | 10:19 am

Respect, like love, can be shown in different ways. I like to show respect by asking opinions. Truly caring what someone else thinks is a great way to show that you not only respect them but find them credible on a certain topic.

2. Laura Schrantz
    September 2, 2015 | 3:40 pm

I believe you show respect to those who refer you by following up in a timely manner to their referrals. I have a personal policy that I reach out within 24 hours of receiving a referral. This lets the referrer know that you are appreciative of the business opportunity and lets the referral know that you’re looking forward to meeting with them.

I also believe that it gives your referral credibility when you reach out timely. It shows that they have a support system that they go to knowing their clients are going to be given the same world class service they provide.

Being that my business is built solely on referrals, it is extremely important to show your partners that you respect them and appreciate them thinking of you.

3. Leslie Wright
    September 2, 2015 | 5:33 pm

I listen more than I speak. When I find someone credible I want to know what they can teach me. What information can they provide that will help me decide my course of action. And if they ware willing to provide me advice I always take it.

4. Gwyneth Joy
    September 2, 2015 | 6:01 pm

Respect can be shown in many ways. I listen and try very hard not to interrupt (always need improvement). I smile and keep my tone of voice courteous and at a comfortable volume (always need improvement when that person is irritating me!). To show I find them credible, I ask questions, defer to them for information in their area of expertise and thank them for their input.

5. Andreas Wilder
    September 4, 2015 | 10:46 am

Respect, for me, is highlighted by me often disagreeing with clients in a manner that produces the best result. I often battle emotions, preconceived notions, and the media when discussing investment strategies. Focusing on the best path forward for the client, although it may be difficult and scary demonstrates the highest level of respect: it is, after all, why they pay me for my advice.
    On the other hand, listening to many of those fears and concerns demonstrates that I find my clients credible. Dismissing a person’s genuine held beliefs does nothing towards accomplishing an end result. Clients want to be heard and be persuaded to make the best decision possible: I cannot do that without first acknowledging that their concerns are credible.

6. Steve Goins
    September 4, 2015 | 11:12 am

I show respect to someone focusing on “being in the moment.” We have so many different channels of communication and so many distractions around us. It is easy to get distracted and not practice active listening. Showing respect means that the time that I spend with someone is dedicated totally to that person.

I am a banker and the buzz phrase we use in how we market our products and services is “Relationship Banking.” The problem with that phrase in our industry is that it truly has become a cliche. Every banker will likely tell you he or she is a “Relationship Banker.” That doesn’t mean all bankers practice relationship banking. Without communication there is no relationship. Effective communication requires active listening skills and paying attention to what the client is saying–bother verbally and non-verbally.

7. Darrell Vaughan
    September 4, 2015 | 11:43 am

I engage someone I respect in deeper conversation. I want to know more about them and the needs of their business. This helps me establish a better relationship with them, and identifies how I can best assist in solving their problems.

8. Nina
    September 4, 2015 | 2:06 pm

Respect, as it applies to clients coming to me for photos, is about being sensitive to their needs. That means listening, striving to understand what they are actually saying AND what’s in between the lines, creating a smooth and clear process, and delivering product and service in an efficient and convenient manner. Being sensitive to their concerns about having photos made and their busy schedules is how I show them respect.

9. Patricia Davis
    September 4, 2015 | 2:43 pm

For my clients; I listen, and ask questions. I rephrase what they have said to show that I understand or to clear up misconceptions. I am accessible and willing to help them navigate the online process. I also follow up with them periodically throughout the year to see how they are doing in regard to their health. For my business relationships; I show up on time for our scheduled coffee meetings. I familarize myself with their websites, ask questions, and take notes. When I have a satisfactory experience with personally using their services I will promote them on my Facebook Page. I also connect them with people within the other networking groups that I belong to. I send them referrals.

10. Gloria Rodriguez
    September 4, 2015 | 2:58 pm

I always confirm appointments the day before and make sure to arrive on time to all of my appointments. This shows my clients that I respect and value their time. I also prefer the “quality over quantity” approach when it comes to referrals. I want to ensure that someone is genuinely interested in doing business or will be potential a gate-opener before I refer them to a colleague. A quality referral is the best way to show someone that you respect them and what they have to offer.

11. Tisha Curry
    September 4, 2015 | 4:34 pm

I respect people by first listening to their needs, then asking how I can best serve them. Since I help people during emotionally charged times, I make sure I listen as they explain the ways in which they receive information. We discuss their goals during our early conversations so as we move through the process, I am informed how best to serve them. Ultimately, my job is to inform my clients and to empower them to make the best decision for their future.