Referral Trigger for the week of September 21

Conversation led by the Virginia Highlands Team (100% responses received)

d-logo (15) Many people receive respect through the speed of response to a request.

What is the usual and customary time for
you to:

• return a voicemail message,
  • respond to an email,
  • answer a text question,
  • follow up with a referral record,

complete a project.

Click ‘Leave comment’ below to share your perspective.

20 Responses to Referral Trigger for the week of September 21
  1. Charles Overall
    September 18, 2015 | 11:59 am

I usually try to return a voicemail as soon as I am able to return it. I do the same with an email if I have time I try to return it as soon as possible. I usually try to respond to text right away if I am not driving. I try to call the referral within 1 to 2 days at the most. I always try to complete any projects a day or 2 before the project needs to be done so that if there are any questions I will have time to correct it.

2. Eric Richner
    September 18, 2015 | 2:41 pm

Generally my response time is between 12-24 hours for voicemails and emails. Text questions are usually same day, depending on the question. Referral records are followed up the same week. Project completion varies from client to client and can be done within 2 sessions or take 3 months due to training. To take from the Virginia Highland’s team’s favorite quote, “It depends”.

3. Jennifer Keaton
    September 19, 2015 | 1:15 pm

If you’ve not heard from me or from my office within 24 hours, something’s probably wrong. Woefully wrong.

4. Bruce Wood
    September 19, 2015 | 4:12 pm

I return all calls/emails/text messages within 24 hours, but normally within a few hours at most. I follow up with a referral record ASAP. When I am engaged for a project, I set expectations at that time for length of time until completion. The time depends on the size and complexity of the project. We can normally accommodate tight deadlines.

5. Shannon Loe
    September 21, 2015 | 3:23 pm

My response time depends upon when I’m contacted. Since I’m a professional organizer, people expect me to be organized and prompt (and rightly so!), so it’s important that I respond quickly – the same day – to a request, whether it be from a client, potential client, colleague or referral. The exception to this rule is when I am working with a client on an organizing project. Out of respect for my clients’ time, I do not return voicemail messages, respond to emails or text messages, or follow-up during our sessions because I give my client my undivided attention. After our session has ended, I will respond to a voicemail, email or text at that time.

6. Wesley Anderson, DCH
    September 21, 2015 | 3:43 pm

I usually return emails, or voicemails within 24 hours.

Wesley Anderson, DCH
    YOUTUBE https://www.youtube.com/user/nelper51

7. Gwyneth Joy
    September 22, 2015 | 6:15 pm

Text messages tend to get immediate attention unless I’m driving or conducting an onboarding call. I answer emails frequently throughout the day and voicemails once or twice a day. In order to stay on track with projects or processes, checklists in Asana are a life saver! As is a Google calendar so I can stay on track with a timeline.

8. Rodney Shaffer
    September 22, 2015 | 9:02 pm

My goal is to distinguish myself with excellent customer service. So my response to all of these items is, “as soon as possible.” Realistically, my goal is to return voicemails within 2 hours, emails within 4 hours, texts within 1 hour, follow up with a referral – 30 minutes or less, and complete a project based on the closing date specified in the purchase contract.

9. Pablo Blanco
    September 23, 2015 | 8:13 am

Voicemail will be returned on same day.
    Email same day too.
    Text instantly.
    Referral same day.
    Project it depends on the contract.

10. Dee Williams
    September 23, 2015 | 8:23 am

It is my practice to return voice mail messages the very same day but no later than 24 hours. I respond to emails and referrals the same day. This help with client relationships. Text messages when received unless with a client. I follow up with referrals when received as these are potential clients.

11. Joel Madden
    September 23, 2015 | 9:56 am

In Residential Real Estate, clients must be responded to in a very timely manner or they will find another agent who will!

If I am working with a client, they have my full attention so any vm, em or text message is returned when we finish – never more than 3 hours. Otherwise I respond to all three as soon as they are received!

Joel Madden
    KW Midtown

12. Scott Levine
    September 23, 2015 | 3:18 pm

As a CPA, the timing of a response depends largely on the severity of the issue and the time of year it is. However, as a general rule, we like to return communications in a timely manner (meaning in less than 12 hours). Phone calls are returned twice a day (morning and evening) while emails and texts are generally returned almost immediately.

Project length also varies greatly. We try to complete tax returns within two weeks, close monthly books within three days, and end audits as fast as possible.

Scott Levine
    Intown Financial Services

13. Mimi Stone
    September 24, 2015 | 11:43 am

My customary time for response:
    * Voicemail message: Same day
    * Respond to an email: Same day
    *Answer a text question: Almost immediate
    * Follow up with a referral record: Within the next day
    * Complete a project: Varies, depends on the scope of work. Supreme service throughout the process.
    Mimi Stone
    StarFloors

14. Donna McCauley
    September 24, 2015 | 12:27 pm

I try to respond to emails and voicemails within 2 hours unless I am with a client. I can usually respond to texts almost immediately. I believe that responding the same day is essential. Even if I can’t solve the issue with the first response, it at least lets my client know that I am working on it.

15. Brian Jardine
    September 24, 2015 | 6:06 pm

Web programmers are notorious for their poor response time. That’s why I try to communicate the same day I receive a request. I strive to be the exception to the rule in this industry.

Emails are best. But, scheduling a phone call is a good idea.

Throughout the development process, we communicate with our clients via our online project management dashboard so they can see where we are in the phase of the project at all times. So, there’s no guessing involved.

16. Peter Mcloud
    September 24, 2015 | 6:59 pm

For many of our customers we offer Customer Service Contracts where we are able to agree upon what is expected from a service standpoint. Both the customer and I will agree upon the timelines that work for them and we will both sign this document and each retain a copy.
    However, from a general standpoint speed is highly important in our competitive industry.
    Emails are responded to same day, phone messages are responded to ASAP and same day unless after 5PM, and text messages are responded to almost immediately.
    Many of the customers we have obtained have stated that they moved to our Agency due to poor communication from their prior Agent. Many prospects have stated that they have contacted other Agencies with no response. Clearly response times do more than generate credibility, they generate business.

17. Melanie
    September 25, 2015 | 11:30 am

Realtors who are skilled at helping their buyers bring competitive offers understand that the length of the due diligence period can make or break a deal. That’s why I show I respect them and their clients by ensuring they can get an inspection within three business days from the request, and then delivering the report the same day as the inspection. Whether they need the information from the report to further negotiate or just to confirm the purchase decision, my ability to accommodate a tight deadline shows them I understand how important their needs are and makes them happy they work with me.

18. Mariell Coker
    September 25, 2015 | 11:50 am

Response time is crucial in my business. My insureds often choose to work with me because of how quickly and thoughtfully I answer their questions and requests, even before they become my client and definitely after. I have a system for follow through and literally can’t rest until phone calls, emails, and texts are returned.

19. Jason Wade
    September 25, 2015 | 4:43 pm

I respond to all contacts right away unless I’m with a client, then after I’ve done with them.

20. Brian Dubuc
    September 30, 2015 | 11:34 am

Many have heard the old saw about lawyers, “They never return my call.” I hear it a lot. Modern advances in communication mean that clients expect instant access. I give my cell phone number to my best clients. They know that they have access to me anytime they need me. The other thing that I have that helps me stay in touch is that my business email also goes to my phone. It allows me to triage communications and take care of the ones that are most urgent. Even if I can’t help in the email, it is a convenient and immediate means of acknowledging the contact.