Referral Trigger for the week of September 28

Conversation led by the Whitlock Avenue Team

d-logo (15) Many people receive respect through the speed of response to a request.

What is the usual and customary time for
you to:

• return a voicemail message,
  • respond to an email,
  • answer a text question,
  • follow up with a referral record,

complete a project.

Click ‘Leave comment’ below to share your perspective.

24 Responses to Referral Trigger for the week of September 28
  1. Austin Eades
    September 25, 2015 | 2:30 pm

While I try to return emails and messages the same day. Sometimes people just ask complicated questions that require some research.

I usually employ a triage system to my response policy. The most urgent first and the telemarketers last.

2. Nora Sullivan
    September 25, 2015 | 4:29 pm

If I know the answer to the question that is being asked by any means, text, email, voicemail etc. I will respond right away and answer it. If I don’t know the answer or need to look up an account or get approval for something I always let that person/client know right away that I am looking into it and I will get back to them ASAP. I do this because this is how I like to be treated. Treat others as you would like to be treated. ~~Nora Sullivan 🙂

3. Dr. Melissa Black
    September 27, 2015 | 11:06 am

When it comes to healthcare, the sooner concerns and questions are answered the better. As a membership based practice, my patients have direct access to me via cell phone and email. I receive alerts via smartphone and smartwatch whenever a patient member calls or emails. This way I receive messages directly as they come in and reply immediately when necessary. If the concern is not urgent and I am in a meeting or patient visit, I reply a little later the same day.

4. Len Nelms
    September 28, 2015 | 8:33 am

I will typically respond same day to any type of contact; if I need to do some research, I will acknowledge the contact on the same day and set an expectation with the client for an answer to their inquiry. For a referral, I will always contact the same day unless the referrer suggests a “best time to contact” the referral.

5. Gordy Powell
    September 28, 2015 | 9:30 am

Speed and response is the nature of my business. My clients are suffering from a traumatic event inside their home and are dependent up the rapid response that aid can be rendered. The back end of that is communications for our services between sub contractors and insurance adjusters can come through email or voicemail’s. I am fortunate to have a team under me to make all the cogs move smoothly to where we can answer in timely and efficient manner.

6. Denise Peek
    September 28, 2015 | 9:57 am

I respond to a voice mail the same day someone leaves it. I respond to an e-mail within 24 hours. I answer a text within two hours, whenever possible. I follow up to a referral trigger within two business days. I check in with former coaching clients on a monthly basis, just to see how things are going.

7. Kriston Sellier
    September 28, 2015 | 11:26 am

I respond to voice mails as soon as possible – always try to respond the same day! A text sent – is responded to within minutes and an email response is typically in 2 days.

Usually my clients need a quick answer, so the quicker I can respond to them, the quicker they can move forward. With small businesses, being swift to return communication is critical to success. It’s what sets our clients apart from their competition.

8. John Bennett
    September 28, 2015 | 11:35 am

I respond to e-mails usually within an hour or so. I return voicemails by the end of the day and follow up with referrals within a week depending on when the referral expects a call from me. E-mails are easier to respond to because I don’t have to write a message down to answer a question. If the question is complicated, I will respond that I need some time to look up the answer.

9. Patricia Davis
    September 28, 2015 | 4:27 pm

I am very prompt in returning voicemails, texts, and emails. This is because I expect timely responses when I reach out to someone. Therefore, I believe in “do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Additionally, I check my phone records and emails a few times a day. I follow-up on referrals in a prompt manner also. I try to do it the same day but if not I will not let more than 2 days go by without some action on a referral. I make sure that I contact the person who made the referral to make them aware that I did reach out to the person they referred to me.

10. J.B. Kitts
    September 28, 2015 | 7:05 pm

It’s important that I respond and communicate back to clients in a timely manner. I can usually respond to voice mails within the hour. Text messages can usually be answered within minutes and emails are returned within 24 hours. Should more time be needed for me to provide the client a specific answer to a question, I will let the client know and then get back to them as expeditiously as possible. In regards to referrals, I will reach out to connect within 1-2 business days. I believe that being diligent to do these things demonstrates professionalism and care; plus, it makes my clients feel valued.

11. Russ Phillips
    September 28, 2015 | 8:35 pm

I believe in contacting the client or prospect by the end of the day. It sends the tone for further communication with that person. I do have a 24 hour call time if I am currently working on a case for the client. If the case is taking longer I call to give the person an update and when to expect my next call, email or text.

12. Tim Cowan
    September 28, 2015 | 8:50 pm

I will return any voicemails as soon as I get out of meeting that caused me to not answer the phone. I have all business related calls to my office where our admin team can give immediate attention to time sensitive issues.
    My assistant checks and answers my emails for me throughout the day. I have a recap with her everyday and personally answer the ones that need my direct attention.
    I will try to answer any text messages as I get them. I prefer these message to be short in nature and not a replacement for email.
    Referrals are followed up with immediately or when requested.
    Tim Cowan

13. Steve Payment
    September 28, 2015 | 11:19 pm

I answer voicemails between calls. If I have any not been attended to during the day I return them within 24 hours. Emails are handled in the same manner. Text are usually more immediate and can be answered sooner. Referral records are handled as requested on the form.

14. David Edmonson
    September 29, 2015 | 6:42 am

Most of my clients know that immediate issues can be handled within minutes via text message. My voicemail greeting reinforces this asking that urgent needs be forwarded to me via text message. However, I make every effort to return phone calls the same day.

Email messages are handled on a scheduled basis, meaning I review the email, respond to the client with a timeline of when their issue can be addressed.

15. Peter Knap
    September 29, 2015 | 7:45 am

How I think about it , every time my phone rings , the person on the other line can be a potential client or a referral partner. It is how I get my business. One of main marketing tools is that agents and clients know that either I’ll pick up the phone or call back in less than 5 minutes. My accessibility is my trademark . Emails are handled differently, l get so many per day that I pick and choose based on priority but will return them at the end or beginning of each day. Since I have my phone with me all the time, Text messages are returned when I receive them.

16. Shawn Livingston
    September 29, 2015 | 8:15 am

I try to answer all voice mails by the end of the day. If not, by the next morning. Text messages usually get answered within a few minutes. Emails are usually quick too as long as I can answer them from my phone. Every client is important. Sometimes I will leave them a quick message just letting them know I am busy at the moment and will get back to them when I am free and can talk.

17. Deana Dalrymple
    September 29, 2015 | 9:17 am

Responding in a timely manner is essential. I endeavor to respond to emails, messages and texts within the hour. If I am working on a quote, I will confirm that I received the request and follow up as quickly as possible with the pricing and turnaround. Standard turnaround for us is 7 days after proof approval for most products.

18. Tommy Schlosser
    September 29, 2015 | 10:00 am

Since 90% of all txt are read in 3 minutes, I confidently say I respond to a txt within 5 minutes, but it’s not the most effective way to communicate with me because unlike an email you can’t mark it “unread” or drag it to a calendar. So as a follow-up, when I get questioned via text, my txt response is, “I just sent you an email.” Otherwise I respond within 24 hours to emails and unless I explained why it would be longer within an additional 24 hours I can finish a project.

19. Colleen Beckett
    September 29, 2015 | 11:20 am

Currently emails and texts are the primary forms of communication. Texts are responded to as soon as they are read, which is usually when received. I respond to all emails no later that 2 hrs at the top of the hour. I find that this allows me to prioritize and read any related emails prior to sending a response. Voice mails are returned same day. Communication of information is key and the timeliness of a response is sometimes very critical in my industry. Projects are completed within the time frame established by all parties at the onset of the proposal to insure that everyone is in agreement and expectations are set from the start.

20. Steven Dworschak
    September 29, 2015 | 4:26 pm

I usually respond within 5 minutes to a text and at least say that I will get back to them ASAP if I don’t have an answer right away. Response to voice mails is same day if possible, and e-mails generally within 24 hours. I will say I am always impressed by quick responses by other people and my estimation of their value definitely goes up at least a notch!

21. Brantley Madebach
    September 30, 2015 | 10:40 am

Regardless of what industry you are in, managing expectations is critical. The financial services industry is no exception to this rule, and a key component to having a solid relationship and delivering an outstanding client experience is effective communication. When implementing a specific strategy for a client, I always provide an ETA on when they can expect the completion of the project. As far as responding to emails & voicemails, I prioritize based on the urgency and my clients know that they will hear from me within 24 hours if not the same day. The same standard applies to following up with a referral record.

22. Rochelle Marecheau
    September 30, 2015 | 11:58 am

Due to our wonderful technology, I respond to emails within 24 hours, even on weekends I believe it is important to treat each client, possible client, gate opener, etc. with the urgency they deserve. I seldom have a client waiting more than 5 minutes past their scheduled appointment time. I usually follow up with referral records the day I receive them because there’s never a time where I am too busy to educate someone on neurofeedback and how it is a tremendous alternative.

23. Karin Strayhorn
    October 3, 2015 | 10:53 pm

Responding to emails, voicemails, and text messages is an important aspect of any business. Clients expect a prompt response because every question or comments helps to build the relationship with the client. I strive to return emails, voicemails and text messages as soon as I receive them. Even if the response is that I am currently in a meeting and will follow p immediately following the meeting.

24. Dr. Taushlea Green
    October 8, 2015 | 6:30 pm

I respond promptly to all types of communication. I will answer my business phone almost anytime. I will respond to a text message immediately, unless I am with a patient. I will respond to a voicemail as soon as I can. I respond to an email within 24 business hours. I would respond to a referral record as I would any other message, as soon as I am able.