What to SAY to GET Referrals: Platinum Card – The Kindling Question

Referral Trigger for the week of October 31
Topic: Platinum Card – The Kindling Question
Conversation led by the Candler Park Team (100% responses achieved)

Happy businessman showing blank business card Rewind. Identify the point a prospect begins looking
for someone in your industry, then rewind three steps back.
Tell us what is going on in the prospect’s life at this rewind point.

• What are the next three decisions they make
    that set them on a path to you?
  • This is the story of where your new clients come from.

You’re teaching us to recognize opportunity.

23 Responses to What to SAY to GET Referrals: Platinum Card – The Kindling Question
  1. Allyson McCarthy
    October 31, 2016 | 2:19 pm

The Power Couple. Both working spouses either with children and growing or without children but entertaining more often for work – or both. This couple is mid thirty to forty and ten years into the current mortgage and saving money. They are starting to hire help for the growing family or (and) hiring help to cater their social parties.
    They are purging – whether it’s kids toys, tupperware, or rearranging furniture to create space, there is a sign that the home is too small. They may be taking drives to other neighborhoods or asking opinions about schools in other districts, public or private.
    These are all indications of a potential move, home renovation or new build on another vacant site. Could also be a move including renovation of an existing home.
    So ask, the next time a friend or neighbor shows sign of doing any of the above and have him connect with me, Allyson McCarthy, Turco McCarthy Architecture and Design.

2. Joann Cebulski
    November 1, 2016 | 10:18 am

It can start as an uncomfortable feel or feeling full blown stucknow. They don’t what’s going on or the how of where to go next. Usually we try what we know or lots of what we know and it’s not quiet working. They know the don’t want to abandon their goal or give up,but they are frustrated. The Avatar tools help people get their creative MOJO back without only providing one solutuon. They come to me for the desire to do or be something better, more, different and we embark on the journey together. They sky is the limit within their consciousness

3. Pam Garrett
    November 1, 2016 | 4:18 pm

A business owner is transitioning from a corporate firm to their own practice (i.e. Doctor, Lawyer, CPA, etc.). They hear constantly “I tried calling you but I only got your voicemail”. While working on their business they know they need their phone answered more consistently but can’t afford a receptionist. Hiring an answering service at a reasonable cost can eliminate missed business opportunities. A ‘live’ person answering your business line every time increases exponentially your chances for obtaining new customers and satisfying existing customers there needs have been heard and will be met in a timely manner. Your customer service level goes way up in value! They tell someone who tells someone else and so on, and so on…

4. Lee Vann
    November 1, 2016 | 4:27 pm

Small businesses that are rebuilding their website is my favorite client. They can first identify the need to change because of moving to a new office, new staff that needs a headshot for the website, or something big like Ponce City Market opens up close by and they want to capitalize on the new found notoriety. Once the need is felt, they usually don’t act right away. I think the notion has to hit them a couple of times before they act. They don’t always associate new marketing fodder/profile portrait with the new website, but that’s the time they will get the most excited about new photos documenting their office and employees. I have gotten jobs because I see someone is reconstructing their website, and I broach the subject. Some never even thought about it before then.

5. Richard Hoffman
    November 1, 2016 | 4:31 pm

This is an interesting question for me.
    It’s easy to see, at Thanksgiving time, when everyone is in the kitchen trying to get dinner out, on time and unburned. Mother’s kitchen just won’t hold all of the cooks, and crumb-snatchers anymore. Or, perhaps the living room is getting overcrowded with sleeping bags. She needs more counter space, a double oven, a much bigger refrigerator, and maybe one of those vegetable sinks. But all of that won’t fit into the existing space. What Mom wants is a new, bigger kitchen and space to put up all of the grandkids, and definitely before next Thanksgiving.
    She needs to call Specialty Builders for an estimate.
    But before she does that she needs to talk to a design professional.
    She may even want to look at other homes.
    And here is the interesting part. First, she wants to call Richard Hoffman, The Renovation Coach for a two hour consultation. It’s is far better to know up front the cost and feasibility of a project than to spend considerable time and money on plans, permits and estimates (yes, many professional contractors charge for estimates) only to find out the cost of the project would be prohibitively high. For a nominal fee of $250, The Renovation Coach will frankly and honestly the discuss budget, project feasibility, scheduling and processes so that Mother can make an educated decision on how to best proceed with her dream of having all of the kids and grandkids come home and stay for Thanksgiving.

6. Harris Echikson
    November 1, 2016 | 8:53 pm

Confusion, Time Management Issues, Loss of Employee Control, Office dysfunction, Bad Current Office Management. Somethings that may be going on in a potential clients life would be office expansion. New business Start-Up or maybe the just finally understand “Pay it Forward” and that if you maximize your I.T. You Maximize your Business. Usually the 3 decisions that someone would make would be to decide that running a company with your secretary as your I.T. Is not only a horrible way to waste your money but nothing is getting done around the office not only that but the Secretary can’t do her job. It’s not always the secretary sometimes its a guy name “Gary” who works at the company plays alot of video games and so he can do anything and everything in I.T. Without a College Degree or any Certifications. Just to put this in prespective this is the equivalent of hiring your child to do heart surgery on a human being in a hospital. He can do it because hes played with a testiscope in his bedroom a few times. The last one would be if you have a current I.T. Provider who isn’t doing a good job. Red flags of a bad job would be, long down times, Slow Responses, Low to no Security. The next decision the owner would make would be to schedule a consultation with an I.T. Specialist and not an I.T. Guru.

7. Wendy Pruitt
    November 1, 2016 | 9:31 pm

Typically my prospect has already made the decision to refresh their marketing materials or to launch their own business. They already have an idea of what they want (updated logo, new business cards, a flyer – Step 1) but now they’ve started to realize what a daunting task it may be (Step 2) … and maybe they’ve already attempted it themselves (Step 3) but don’t like the result, and doesn’t know who to ask for help.
    My prospect is a solo-entrepreneur or small business owner who doesn’t have a full-time marketing department, but understands the value of a consistent brand image and professional marketing materials. I listen to their needs and develop a creative direction that will further their goals and marketing plan.

8. Dr. Paul Gross
    November 2, 2016 | 9:41 am

You know that moment when you wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and hobble out of bed? That’s three steps before someone finally decides to come see me. As they shuffle the few feet from their bed to the toilet thinking “when the heck did I get old???” – that’s two steps before they finally decide to come see me. The last straw is when they wake up in the morning and realize that even getting dressed is uncomfortable. Our bodies were designed to function beautifully throughout life. I put the body back together so pain and dysfunction stop being a part of daily life.

9. Steve Cannon
    November 2, 2016 | 1:13 pm

Three Steps before an HR director for a 115 person company hires a new Benefits Broker, would find her riding the elevator with the CFO. Once the elevator clears the CFO looks over at the HR director and says, “what is going on with our Medical Insurance costs, we can’t handle another double digit increase this year”. The second step finds our HR director having a business lunch with another HR director of a 182 employee engineering firm who is talking about the new online benefit enrollment system that her broker arranged for their company at no cost. The third step is the Webinar she attends where the new strategies for partial self-funded health insurance is discussed. Finally she is given a recommendation to meet with Steve Cannon by her friend who is in Powercore. And the next scene we hear her belting out the classic Lynyrd Skynyrd song: “Gimme three steps, gimme three steps, mister, gimme three steps towards the door and I won’t need my old broker no more.”

Steve Cannon
    Employee Benefit Advisor
    404-575-1076

10. Abigail Unger
    November 2, 2016 | 1:30 pm

Often people love a hair stylist, but don’t love their hair style. This relationship can continue years past the exp. date, until the client steps into action and decides they desire something something greater for themselves. She’s committed to owning that promotion, finding love again, being preset, whichever.
    Sarah enters her salon, flops in the chair and her stylist greets her holding a couple of color bowls. They chat about the kids. Sarah indulges in a moment of relief because she wasn’t asked what she really wanted and she didn’t have to make a decision. Relief vanishes and disappointment sets in. She knows the style she’s had isn’t going to get her where she needs to go.
    Her BFF has recommended this “amazing” stylist, Abigail, for years. She has mentioned to Sarah how Abigail worked in Soho for over a decade and really knows her business, plus she owns a private studio right here in Inman Park. Finally Sarah takes her card. -Abigail Unger Bespoke Hair Care Studio

11. Joan Sinrich
    November 2, 2016 | 2:02 pm

Some of my clients no longer wait until they are in pain before they decide to come to get a massage. They come in regularly and regularly is once a month or more. Here are some previous steps before they type massage and a zip code in an internet search or check their nextdoor app or yelp or their friends for a massage therapist recommendation. They might see a doctor or acupuncturist or physical therapist or chiropractor for low back, mid back or neck pain; They might complain to their neighbor that they can’t move their neck or their arm as far as they once could; They might start cancelling plans to attend an event because they are stressed out about being stressed out and they think staring at the ceiling might help. Getting a massage helps reduce stress, decrease anxiety, lessen pain and it feels like a treat. It’s great when something feels decadent but is good for us! http://www.intown.massagetherapy.com/

12. Joyce Gist Lewis
    November 2, 2016 | 5:20 pm

My clients are business people who need legal representation in court, or advice on managing their business. Three steps picking up the phone to call me, they receive a letter or having a conversation with someone (typically an employee, customer, or vendor) about a dispute. The interaction is upsetting and worrying, and the client is preoccupied for a period of time with deciding how to respond. The client’s next action step is typically to try to resolve the conflict themselves. They write a letter back or arrange another meeting with the opposing party. The third and final step before calling me occurs when the client realizes that she is not going to be able to solve the problem on their own and that the problem is not going away – unfortunately for many clients, this step occurs when they are formally served with a lawsuit. This is often the point where the client seeks a recommendation for an attorney, but what many clients do not realize is that reaching out to any attorney following the first interaction can actually save them time, money, and stress. A good business attorney can often negotiate a resolution to a dispute prior to a lawsuit being filed. http://www.shinglerlewis.com

13. Maia Moran
    November 2, 2016 | 6:20 pm

My new prospect has a need to provide lunch for a monthly meeting and is looking for a catering service to accommodate their budget, services provided, and type of food available. Prior to having contact with my potential client, they had many concerns such as delivery, set-up, guest count, quality of service and quantity of food. They decided that we were budget friendly, has the quality and quantity of food to accommodate their guests, and also have a convenient and timely delivery and setup service.

14. Cristyl Kimbrough
    November 3, 2016 | 7:13 am

My new real estate investor clients typically start entertaining the idea of joining the real estate industry by attending relevant seminars. When my schedule frees up, I try to attend theses seminars and meet people new to the industry.

15. Janine Walker
    November 3, 2016 | 9:52 am

People come to me when there is a need not being met or their is a life change. They are shopping for price, not happy with the carrier or agent. It also can be when a person has gotten married and want to merger finances or a child just received their licenses. My clients needs me to make sure they are covered correctly and not break their accounts. Their need is what brings attention to my service.

16. Aaron Thomas
    November 3, 2016 | 1:37 pm

I think that three steps before a client reaches out to me for a divorce case, they’re probably still trying to save their marriage, going to counseling, trying to communicate with their spouse. Unfortunately, that’s probably 2 steps before they should reach out. The intermediate steps are typically where one spouse moves out of the house, or a spouse takes the children and leaves home, or one cuts the other off from financial accounts – I’d prefer that clients call me before they take any of those steps so they can know what their options are first.

17. Mark Witte
    November 3, 2016 | 1:39 pm

Three steps back they are probably writing a check and dropping it off at the leasing office while on their way to their co-workers house for a bbq. They realize that they are paying more for their run down 2 br apartment with loud neighbors and trails of dog droppings than the 3 br, 2 bath bungalow in Cabbagetown. They are at a point where they are fed up and need to find someone to preapprove them for a home loan so they can take the next step.

18. Elizabeth Moody
    November 3, 2016 | 1:57 pm

My clients come to me or seek out an agent when they are tired of renting, have a life change such as a marriage, divorce, pregnancy or job change/move. The best opportunity I have is to make a good impression on past clients so they only think to refer me when their friends/family are talking about buying or selling! I encourage all clients to interview agents. The importance of connection with a real estate agent are key in a successful close or purchase.

19. James Paisley
    November 3, 2016 | 2:29 pm

1. Accidents or tragedies
    2. They have questions or don’t know what to do
    3. They look for a solution and I give it to them

That’s the path of finding me 🙂

20. Rachel Johnston
    November 3, 2016 | 3:46 pm

My clients are busy home owners who know they need help to get everything done, they just don’t know what to ask for and often don’t even know that my services exist. They are tired of juggling career, family, and home all while trying to find some time for themselves. Three steps before they meet me they are usually telling a friend or colleague how overwhelmed they feel and how much they need a break. The connection comes through that trusted person letting them know there is help for all the house related tasks! 🙂

21. Scott Johnson
    November 3, 2016 | 7:43 pm

Ok, so I’m a moving and relocation specialist and what I have found is my end user (the home owner) doesn’t know that someone like me exists. We can prep their home for sale, we can pack it when it is sold and we can unpack and organize them when they move in in record time, but who knows this “unicorn” is real. It’s my referral partners. My best referral partners are real estate agents, builder/remodelers, home stagers that only provide a staging report and moving and relocation companies. So, I’d like to answer the question based on when my gate opener would need me and that is when they begin any conversation with their client regarding their stuff. A real estate agent has a planned client meeting for a listing. It would be great to be front of mind to assist with any all manner of home prep, move prep and post move set up and organizing. The same could be said for all of my gate openers.

From time to time I will get someone who has found me via an internet search. So, if we’re looking as my homeowner/end user 3 steps back from discovering me, then they have received a promotion that includes relocating in or out of Atlanta. Or their last child has just graduated college and move out. This client is ready to trade in their suburban “McMansion” for a in town condo and needs help with downsizing.

22. Meredith Sims
    November 3, 2016 | 9:20 pm

Janie has tried marriage counseling, but it’s not working and the decision has been made, divorce is next. She’s asked for advice and recommendations and takes the next step, engaging a divorce attorney. Step 3 and the negotiations and agreements are being finalized. She knows she’s getting money from the 401k, but she didn’t take care of the investments and doesn’t know who to turn to. She’s feeling vulnerable and needs a warm and knowledgeable advisor who can guide her through this new phase of her life.

23. Ronica Brown
    November 3, 2016 | 9:45 pm

My clients come to me because:
    1) They need to meet a tax deadline
    2) They have some kind of business question
    3) They need to improve their business profitability or operations.