Action: Fuel + Motor

Referral Trigger for the week of August 27
What to SAY to GET Referrals
Builder’s Tool: Source of Power | Purpose: Action​
Conversation lead by the: Decatur Team

and A chain saw requires fuel to power a motor.
Think of what you do as fuel for your client’s chain saw.

How big is the tank?
How often do your clients need to refuel?

Compare two clients; one who needs regular refueling
and one who can function a long time on one tank.
Show us the difference between the two of them.

25 Responses to Action: Fuel + Motor
  1. Clay Jeffreys
    August 24, 2018 | 9:46 am

Status updates would be the fuel for my clients. I keep my clients updated as things change through the week, and they get a top off each Friday with the weekly email update. My clients get one, and the agents get one specific to the information they need to know. An easy comparison is a first time buyer versus someone who has purchased a home before. A first time buyer often asks more questions via text/email that I’ll answer as they’ve never been through the process before. For example, often first time home buyers think an appraisal is done as quickly as a home inspection in terms of the inspection taking place and getting the report. Appraisals usually take 5-7 business days to complete from order date to product delivery. So I’ll usually update them more often during the week. Someone who has purchased a home before is familiar with the routine and knows the appraisal takes longer to do than a home inspection in terms of turn time, so I’ll update when status changes and of course the Friday update.

2. Susan Morley
    August 24, 2018 | 11:21 am

I make being a mom easier by providing encouragement, teaching skills, and reinforcing each mom’s strenghts.

Some moms need one fill-up of fuel to get them going again. I give them a fill up and they are good to go for months before they need another fill up. These moms purchase my “one and done” package which provides a coaching session and a month of email support

Some moms need regular refuling. These moms purchase my Parenting Plus package for 3 coaching sessions and 3 months of email support.

And either mom may want the freedom to refuel as needed by getting support on demand. These moms join my MomTribe online group for a monthly fee. They get weekly online support, monthly group coaching calls, and video classes on demand.

3. Wendy Kinney
    August 24, 2018 | 2:09 pm

On the third Monday of every month we offer InfoMinute Seminar.

There are Members who have never attended, and there are Members who attend like clockwork once a year, and there are Members who come for a refresher every ~5 years.

Then, there have been people who have attended 13 and 14 times in the course of 24 months. They have accomplished great things. Cassandra is now traveling nationally as an expert in her industry. Kristen has modified the template and uses it to teach corporate consulting clients from London to Hong Kong how to get budget for a new project, and Greg told me he used InfoMinutes in a job interview, and earned his dream job! I am so proud of them.

4. Shaun St. Hill
    August 24, 2018 | 3:06 pm

The larger customers have big tanks. Once their internet or cybersecurity service is up and running they will go for great lengths of time without needing anything. The small businesses need and deserve a more frequent touch. They have more questions since they typically don’t have a go-to person for IT. I pride myself on being there when they call.

5. Keely Herrick
    August 24, 2018 | 3:13 pm

As a trademark attorney, my smaller clients generally only need help with one or two brands, and they do not have new branding projects that often. For them, I do not have to refuel the tank as often, it’s more a matter of establishing protection for one or two brands and checking in from time to time to monitor their progress.

For larger clients, they will launch new products and slogans constantly, so we offer flat monthly fees in order to be available for them on a daily basis or for a certain number of hours each month. When a business is seen as having deep pockets, the risk tolerance is often very low, as even a small campaign can attract a great deal of attention.

6. Dianne Lucht
    August 24, 2018 | 5:27 pm

As a registered nurse and natural wellness strategist I help clients find their missing link(s) so they can feel good and Live Well.
    Some clients have general soreness, aches and pains so a natural cream that helps the body reduce inflammation- swelling is all that is needed. They do not need to be refueled often.
    However, if they are still having discomfort then we can delve deeper to look for other causes and add different natural products until we find the right combination.
    Clients who need a lot of refueling are those who push their bodies to the extreme as marathon runners or those who have chronic pain. We will try the layering of products like CM (anti-inflammatory) cream, kinetic tape, ceramic fiber supports, medical magnetic devices or organic supplements until we find what relieves the discomfort and puts the body in balance so it can heal itself.
    Dianne Lucht, RN,BSN
    Dianne@LiveWellLiveLife.com

7. Dr. Josh Buck
    August 25, 2018 | 2:44 pm

Like most engines requiring fuel, at times the supply can start to get low. For periods when our practice members’ fuel supply needs a refresher we inject a change to their care with new exercises, at home therapy, a change in frequency or simply a fun community building event. Since we firmly believe that social health is equally as important as physical health, events that build community are an essential part of our practice family. Such changes can occurs as frequently as every month for individual patient care and quarterly for community events.
    The practice member who needs more regular fuel are those who don’t have support at home. Those who have friends and family also in the practice essentially fuel each other. Many of our practice members have met and established close friendships with people they otherwise wouldn’t have met but through one of our social community building events…that’s one of the coolest and more rewarding parts of our profession.

– Dr Josh

8. Jill Pullen
    August 26, 2018 | 10:25 am

In my discussions about marketing strategy with clients, I use the motor + fuel metaphor all the time.

If sales is the engine for a business, then marketing is the fuel that keeps the engine running.

I always want clients to realize that they need to refuel their marketing efforts regularly, not just when there’s extra money in the bank. The last thing they want is for sales to stop, but waiting to activate marketing until they start to experience a slowdown nearly guarantees a significant lull, while the momentum builds again. Especially for new businesses, this can be an unwelcome concept, because money is tight and the business owner is trying to spend as little as possible.

I would recommend that clients think about filling the sales gas tank the same way we all did when we were starting out and facing cash flow challenges. Instead of trying to fill the tank every time, choose to put in a steady amount of gas at a regular interval.

For example, $500 every month for six consecutive months can have a greater impact than a single $3,000 expenditure on day one, with nothing else happening until day 180. That smaller monetary commitment on a monthly basis allows the business to be more nimble too — it provides an opportunity to change tactics if results fall short of expectations. A single expenditure rarely offers that chance.

For larger clients who have successful marketing initiatives underway, the principle is exactly the same, they just invest more at each interval because we are fueling multiple tactics.

So for a business that is interested in growth, they’ll always need to refuel and to do so on a regular schedule.

Jill Pullen
    Excelovation
    Marketing Strategy
    404-271-5778

9. Douglas Waterman
    August 27, 2018 | 2:40 pm

I help Quality and Management professionals to attain their goals as an added resource to their arsenal of tools.

Sometimes it’s a newer or better (or unforeseen) tool, which they’re renting versus purchasing.

In other instances, typically for larger and / or experienced clients, it’s akin to a higher grade of gas, or an extra tank, to boost or augment their current resources.

In both cases, I help them with an added supply of fuel to their project.

Doug Waterman
    404.590.5293

10. Mohua Thakurta
    August 27, 2018 | 11:42 pm

I help Small business owners and Non Profits create their brand via Video. Sometimes its very hard to convince my clients that you need more than one video to reach a large audience.

There needs to a continuous supply of engaging content for clients which will lead to credibility and trust. A single video will rarely do the job . Multiple short videos reaching a specific audiences is a must.

Typically larger businesses might need to invest in a dedicated channel and more video marketing dollars in a more frequent intervals. Smaller companies can get the same benefit by keeping their videos simple and little more spread out but still needs to provide regular content.

For businesses that want to reach a larger clientele they have innovate ways to keep on adding fuel to their projects.

Mo thakurta
    6785768373

11. John Bennett
    August 28, 2018 | 9:16 am

As a closing attorney, we handle both refinances and purchases. Refinances have the fuel tank full and ready to go because the lender will have the borrowers information for us to get payoffs and check any liens. For purchases, we rely on the seller to provide us the needed information. This requires a lot more following up and effort on our part. Purchases have a lot more moving parts and use a lot more fuel.

12. John Kozak
    August 28, 2018 | 12:49 pm

Clients for CPAs do not generally fit into a single box. Rather, it typically depends on the needs of the business and sometimes even the lifecycle of that business.

Some clients need a lot of attention (or fuel). The beginning and final years of a business are the most time consuming from an accounting and tax perspective. They require a lot of attention.

While the business is running as normal, the attention may not be as great.

We work with clients that meet with us frequently to work through various issues and we work with clients that only need annual tax returns.

What I find, however, is that a business may move from needing a lot of attention in one year to not so much in the next (or vice versa).

Our goal is to match the needs with the attention.

13. Tanya Osensky
    August 28, 2018 | 12:59 pm

I am a business attorney, and my clients range from startups to large, well-established companies. My startup clients just need a little bit of fuel from me: their initial legal entity registered and the operating agreement drafted, so they can kick-start their business. After the initial startup paperwork is done, I usually don’t see them again for a while. Once they get their business going and they have grown into a larger, more mature company, they typically need more fuel in the form of ongoing legal advice and support to help them achieve their more sophisticated business strategies.

14. Samuel Lysinger
    August 28, 2018 | 3:13 pm

While I love the fuel in tank of chainsaw analogy, what I do is more like fixing or maintaining the chainsaw. The chainsaw may need its carburetor cleaned out. It may need a fuel line, sometimes it needs a new chain. Sometimes a client wants tips on how to better use their chainsaw. This is how I approach IT infrastructure for my clients.

15. DANIEL DEWOSKIN
    August 28, 2018 | 3:18 pm

As I am a personal injury attorney, the fuel of my practice is trust. Some clients are referred to us by a trusted friend or loved one, or perhaps they may even be former clients. They often have a large tank and know that we are dutifully working on resolving their case and preparing for trial accordingly.

Other clients may have never been injured due to someone else’s negligent or wrongful acts, and thus do not know what to expect. Given that the time frame can range from several months to many years in the most complicated situations, we are perpetually refilling the tank by contacting the clients to advise them of the case status, the involvement of the Court, or any other meaningful updates so that they are aware that their cases are not simply out of sight and out of mind for us.

16. Jason Conn
    August 28, 2018 | 3:29 pm

Communication seems to be the fuel that most of my mortgage clients need. When I take an application, I ask about their expectations on communication. I explain that fuel (communication) is automatically delivered in three main stages: 1) At the time of application when I notify them what is needed 2) Once the approval conditions are determined and I advise on any additional necessary items needed, and 3) Just prior to closing, we review the final amount due at closing (compare it to the original quote) and discuss what to expect at closing. Some clients prefer that both parties to the application are fueled, and some want one person to be the point person. Understanding if and when interim fuel is needed is the key to not running out of gas! Each engine is different and gas mileage varies.

17. Joann Taylor
    August 29, 2018 | 12:18 pm

My “fuel” for my clients is details and information. And, I don’t mind telling you, I have to have
    a very large tank to hold all the fuel to be dispersed. I have worked with some clients for over 20 years, some 3-4 years, some 8 years and some just yesterday and, the common thread among them all is they want to know information.

When the deposit check has been received, over a period of weeks, I get the same questions from most. “Did you receive the deposit? Have you received the fabric or trim? When will the hardware be delivered? How long until the workroom can tell you a definite finish date?
    Some clients who have worked with me for a long time, know the time frame involved,
    need only a quick check in, but newer clients need a bit more handholding to get in the rhythm of our dance together. It’s not a problem—-it’s just information.

The circumstances for each client can be different, but if I do for one, I do it for all. Being proactive with the details and information about their job is super important. I don’t want them calling me. I want to be ahead of that curve of questions. Everyone seems to appreciate the details, the knowing of what comes next is satisfying.

This morning, I got a wonderful response to some long awaited news about client’s fabric we have been waiting on for months——client is elated and sends XOXOs. The designer involved said, and I quote “I always love when things are right on. Thanks so much for all your help and staying in touch with us on every move. You are delightful to work with.”

That’s the kind of environment I like to create and keep growing! Information is a powerful tool and I use it quietly and fully because every one of my clients is worth it. I enjoy building relationships from the beginning with trust and respect. Keeps me smiling!

JOANN TAYLOR
    TAYLOR DESIGN CONSULTANTS, Inc.

18. Jackie Campbell
    August 29, 2018 | 2:52 pm

I provide land mine avoidance classes for my clients.

I have a seller client who is an attorney who knows all of the legal ins and outs of the real estate transaction, but who needs my help to know what repair items must be addressed so that an appraiser doesn’t kill the deal. I also have a first time home buyer who only wants the “big picture” explanation on almost all things related to the home buying process, but needs detailed information on every single paragraph within the contract that he is signing. Both clients bring their individual expertise and both bring their individual concerns to the real estate deal, and both are looking to me to keep the process fueled so that they get through the mine field unscathed.

19. Brooks Mackintosh
    August 29, 2018 | 5:07 pm

My probate clients need regular fueling, as I assist them through the sometimes complex process of administering an estate.

My estate planning clients can function for a long time on one tank. Once a will-centered or trust-centered estate plan is in place, it has built-in flexibility to serve the client for years to come.

Brooks Mackintosh
    Mackintosh Law, LLC
    Estate Planning Attorney

20. Ron White
    August 29, 2018 | 5:12 pm

As a Staffing Firm my new clients require more attention (aka Fuel) to get them understanding how to best use our services and also how to communicate that internally within the organizations.

Our steady customers don’t require as much fuel and in fact they become instrumental in growing our business both internally with them as well as reach out to other potentials customers because they are happy with the service.

21. Michael Sussman
    August 29, 2018 | 5:18 pm

The fuel in our agency knowledge. Arming our clients with the knowledge they need allows them to make wiser decisions and we can set them up with the best insurance policy for their needs. Newer businesses tend to require more fuel on the front end as they have never really navigated the commercial insurance world before while well established businesses require more refueling. They tend to outgrow their policies or have different exposures than when they first started.

22. Lauren Cassady
    August 29, 2018 | 5:35 pm

The fuel analogy fits best with my pet hospice clients. The fuel for my clients is communication. Some clients need daily or weekly communication in order to feel that they are best serving their pets. This communication will often just be a check in. Other clients only need communication when there is a concern. I may hear from them weekly, or even every few months. I enjoy meeting clients where they are, and tailoring my communication frequency to their and their pet’s needs.

Lauren Cassady, DVM
    Lap of Love Veterinary Hospice

23. Duncan Cottrell
    August 29, 2018 | 10:22 pm

“Hardening the target” is what The Entry Enforcer does to provide security and peace of mind for homeowners who are concerned about burglars. Steel armoring over vulnerable wood areas on doors and doorjambs; attractive security storm doors and security screen doors; window security; door barricading devices; and more. I fill the critical voids in their home security, because alarms are only effective against the timid burglar. My Home Security Consultations give the homeowner the full information they need in order to decide what security measures will work best for them. When I install the security systems and devices the homeowner chooses, they experience a release of anxiety, and their peace of mind becomes taken for granted such that their energy is freed for more constructive endeavors.
    Once their doors and windows are reinforced, they don’t need The Entry Enforcer anymore. Until they move to a new house; or want to replace a door; or need to refinish a door; or need repair to a door or window. Or need to replace a lock. Or need weatherproofing. Although my relationship with my security clients is usually a one- time event, it energizes them going forward. And my expertise in all aspects of doors offers potential reunions as needs arise.

24. Earl Skates
    August 29, 2018 | 11:44 pm

I’m Earl Skates with E-Z-AZ THAT Smart Solutions with over 15 years of experience in electronics. Clients come to me quite often wanting to know what’s the “New Thing” or should I say “New Technology” they can put in their home or have in their commercial office site. Every time I see my customer I make sure I tell them about something new they should think about getting and how it will make their life just that much better. For instance, Keenan Nix always want to know what’s next and one thing for sure he love new innovation and technology. This is an ongoing process and anytime I inform him about some new technology that will work for him he wants it like yesterday. So much to the point he always want to build and go to the next step. On the other hand, Danny Wuerffel is much more conservative. He enjoys very simple technology. I visit his home about twice a year to make some upgrades, updates and maybe add a things or two. For the most part Danny is on auto pilot. While enjoying this 3 day weekend with your friends and family your uncle Jack is bragging about the new flat screen tv he just brought on sale. Ask him do he want it installed the right way the first time and when he give you that “duh look” connect us in a three way text or email. I’m Earl Skates and it’s E-Z-AZ THAT…

25. Dale Johnson
    August 31, 2018 | 1:34 am

My Name is Dale and I am a plumber. I guess the fuel for my clients would be everything the sound of a smooth flush. Most people don’t care where the stuff goes when they flush the toilet, they just push the handle and know that it’s supposed to disappear. I can give an example of two types of extreme clients, one client calls at least once every other month to have us check something out that’s making a funny noise or fix something minor. she likes for everything to be operating properly. Another client was afraid of plumbers and did get any plumbing repaired on her house until absolutely nothing was working. I asked her what was most important so I fixed that one thing and then gave her a price. I continued with one item at a time until she reached a point where she didn’t want to spend any more money.