Better Together: Until the Glue Sets

Referral Trigger for the week of November 12
What to SAY to GET Referrals
Builder’s Tool: Clamps | Purpose: Better Together
Conversation lead by the: North Fulton Team (100% responses achieved)

and Clamps hold things together until the glue sets. Then the clamps can safely come off.

Use this symbolism to describe your relationship to clients.

Explain when you are responsible for holding something together.

In this scenario, when is it safe for clients to release you?

25 Responses to Better Together: Until the Glue Sets
  1. Jennifer Chadwick
    November 9, 2018 | 9:29 am

My “clamps” hold all parties together in a home loan closing transaction. There are many, very important moving parts to facilitate the purchase of a home. Ensuring (the glue) that everyone is doing their part, on time in a flawless and seamless flow for a smooth closing. From my client, the borrower(s) purchasing, to my team (my assistant, processor, underwriter, appraisal department and closer); to the attorney’s office (who prepares and conducts the closing). And most important, constant communications with the buyer’s real estate agent and the listing agent. Once I receive the “clear to close”, my clamps start to begin the removal process and the glue starts to set in. I provide my client with their wiring instructions, what to bring and where to go to attend their closing. The glue sets and it’s safe to release my clients at the closing as I hand them the keys to their new home!

2. Brandon Courson
    November 9, 2018 | 9:53 am

I have clients who are somewhat new to investing, the most important thing for them is education. We may start small and use investments that are not that complex to let them get a base understanding. We set goals, and use the investments as tools to meet those goals. Once the clients become more comfortable with me and develop their understanding we can then take the clamps off.

3. Brian Hester
    November 9, 2018 | 11:02 am

I have to be a “clamp” for my clients throughout the whole roofing process from start to finish. Starting with the sale, all the way up to the final check rolling in, I have to be available and make sure that things are done when promised and in a timely manner so that things do not left out in the rain.

4. Wendy L Kinney
    November 9, 2018 | 2:32 pm

When a prospect is looking for a Team I’m responsible for clamping several things together so they make a good impression:

1: First, I send them an email introduction to the VCO. (VCOs often respond with welcome, and that’s another clamp.)

2: Then, I tell them to talk about less, not more, in their InfoMinute. It’s not intuitive to promote the smallest specific part of their business, so I give them the metaphor of an arm, and tell them in one minute they can profitably cover one finger nail’s worth of information. The next week they’d talk about the knuckle.

3: Next, I run through the meeting with them, and explain how they can participate during the referrals portion, by inviting a Member to coffee. I tell them they’ll see other people doing that, model them.

4: and, for extra credit, I sometimes tell them WHO to invite! If it’s a chiropractor, I’m going to suggest the PI attorney; if it’s a banker, I’m going to suggest the business coach.

My clamps aren’t enough – the glue is the Team. They’re the people who make the Visitor feel welcome and wanted.

My goal for my clamps is to make the Team be impressed by, and eager for the Visitor to join!

5. Stephen Newland
    November 9, 2018 | 6:40 pm

As a financial counselor, my role is to help my clients develop sound financial habits like doing a budget and keeping track of expenses.

I have two phases of the relationship with clients. Initially, we meet for either three or six sessions in which I am guiding my clients along a path to create a budget and begin to execute on a plan to pay off debt. If I release too soon then I risk the client not having developed the habit, which we know takes repetition to build up.

That’s why I offer a “slow release” option in the form of a monthly accountability partner service. After I’ve met with a client for three or six times, then I want to loosen that grip some. My clients need to feel like they can do this on their own, without me! As an accountability partner, I’m checking in on clients twice a month, but they are the ones doing the hard work. A few months of positive reinforcement from me and they have the confidence to do this on their own. Time to release!

My favorite part is the release, because when done right then I know my client is headed towards financial success!

6. Tom Martin
    November 10, 2018 | 4:29 pm

When explaining what coaching is and how it works, I tell potential clients it’s like taking a boat out on an unfamiliar body of water. I join them as they set sail and serve as their guide helping them move in the direction of their destination (goals) in an effective and efficient manor.

My role as their coach is to make sure there is alignment between their intentions and their actions. Early on the “clamps” are the frequency of our meetings and level of support, encouragement, and accountability provided to build a foundation for positive change through coaching.

Initially, the clamps are there to make sure the agreed upon action steps build momentum. Eventually, once there is movement in the direction of goals, there is less of a need for accountability and support, and I’m there to provide encouragement and offer objective feedback if and when it’s needed.

Success is a client (or their business) thriving and flourishing as a result of their experience in coaching.

7. Andrew Jones Jr.
    November 11, 2018 | 10:15 am

Customers often don’t know what sort of Handyman has shown up at their home to do repairs. I’ll “clamp them down” by doing a lengthy walk through at arrival and give specific details about what I’ll be doing and why. That way they can be more confident that they have hired the right company to make repairs to their home and quite often biggest investment.
    Usually, once I’ve completed a task or two and customers see that I’ve done what I said, they will stop checking on me until completion. We then do a final walk through to make sure all is satisfactory. Then the clamps come off!

8. Matthew Lee
    November 11, 2018 | 10:40 am

As an employee benefits consultant, I am responsible for helping clients with their overall benefits package. The “clamp” is very instrumental during the building and enrollment phase. Then, one that is complete for the client, I am able to release it after the effective date until the following year when we revisit the plans for open enrollment.

9. Renee Pruitt
    November 11, 2018 | 10:32 pm

In real estate, it is vital to cement the relationship at the beginning of the transaction. I use examples from past clients to show my clients the importance of open communication and mutual respect. We discuss at every stop what is happening, what may happen next, and what they may expect. This strengthens the relationship to further our partnership. We work together towards a common goal of either buying or selling their home. This ensures a bright future for all parties and a solid foundation for future business.

10. Anna Parker-Hemming
    November 12, 2018 | 10:42 am

As a pressure washing expert I know how easy it is to quote, clean and wait for a client to call again when their property is dirty, but this doesn’t add value for my clients.
    When providing new clients with a quote I explain to them why certain areas of their property get dirty faster.
    I talk them through my cleaning process, so they know what to expect.
    Before I leave my customer I give them a Thank You gift and, to help my clients prolong the clean, I supply them with free samples of products that help keep their property clean for longer.
    This is when the clamps can come off. It may same counterproductive to give my clients a product and knowledge that means they need me less often but the “glue” has set at this point, in other words I have a built a strong relationship of trust with my clients. These are the clients that repeatedly use my services, write positive reviews online and recommend me to friends, colleagues and their HOA Board.

11. Tommy Schlosser
    November 12, 2018 | 2:32 pm

By the time a new client gets the “Thank You” note for writing their insurance with my agency the clamps are off. My staff & I have taken their file through our new client checklist and made an attempt at answering the questions they may not have even asked yet based on our thorough process.

Tommy Schlosser

12. Jeanne Bynum Hipes
    November 12, 2018 | 3:36 pm

The “clamp” that holds a relationship together at Hipes Law is the engagement agreement, once it is signed by both me and the client. This is what binds our relationship, and contains the terms of our relationship. Once it is signed, both parties have obligations. I, for Hipes Law, have the obligation to “hold the case together” by moving it forward. This means I analyze the case, develop a strategy with my client to obtain his or her goals, and then do the research, the writing, the negotiating, the filings, the briefs, the depositions, the hearings, and/or the mediation or trial that is needed to obtain my client’s objective. The “clamp” is released at the end of the process where the objective of the agreement has been met, or the client and I, or either of us, determine(s) that the process is over based on the terms of the engagement agreement.

13. Carrie Jones
    November 12, 2018 | 8:35 pm

When I turn a new client over to his/her bee, that’s when the clamps come off. First, I meet a potential client either through a referral or a networking event. Then, we set up a discovery meeting to discuss their needs and begin planning how The Hive can help support their goals. Once they’re ready to get started, I take the new client all the way through the onboarding process… I’ll stand beside them until they’re ready to be released to their bee… Once the bee takes over, I release the clamps and allow the bee to shine. The bees keep the relationship buzzing. And I check in from time-to-time.

14. Trent Phillips
    November 13, 2018 | 8:18 am

During the process of building a website the clamps are on tight to secure the info needed to build an effective website with the client. Once the website goes live the clamps come off but continue to work with our clients to enhance their website via marketing services.

15. Jaad Nicholas
    November 13, 2018 | 11:15 am

As a Mortgage Planner, my “clamp” would be my systems that walk the home buyer through the process of purchasing a home from beginning to end. The “glue” is set once the closing is complete. I then check in with my clients a few times per year after closing to make sure they are happy and content

16. Dennis McLynn
    November 13, 2018 | 1:09 pm

I believe that the Edward Jones Value proposition answers this question well.
    -I want to understand what is important to you.
    -I use an established process to build personalized strategies to help you achieve your goals.
    -We will partner together throughout your life to help keep you on track.

17. Modesta Van-Lare
    November 13, 2018 | 4:23 pm

As a small business specialist, I engage with people at different stages of their lives looking to accomplish different banking goals. In the case of a Business owner, during initial consultation, I share our offerings, culture, values and inquire how that suits their needs? An answer in the affirmative is when the “glue goes on”. I then proceed with needed solutions as appropriate. In my world, add-on’s, and repositioning are continuous. So there’s typically not a release in the true sense because a banking relationship is relational not transactional.

18. Lynn Spencer
    November 13, 2018 | 6:14 pm

Killingsworth Spencer is a CPA firm with tax strategy and consulting as a significant part of our service, but our product is a filed tax return. The “clamps” on this process begin when a client engages in a particular year and tax return (i.e. 1040, 1065, 1120S, 1120, 990, etc). The clamps are removed when that tax return is e-filed (or snail mailed), and we have electronic verification of its acceptance. Of course, we are involved with our business clients and even our less complicated 1040 only filers throughout the year, as questions arise or accounting needs warrant.

19. Terence Dowling
    November 14, 2018 | 5:49 pm

I work hand-in-hand with several mortgage brokers. I place “the clamps” on my clients after they have been referred to me and accept my offer. I then guide them through the tail-end of the home buying process. I send the necessary paperwork to their loan officer to properly close the loan. Once the loan is closed and all paperwork is signed. I release my clients into their new home with a sense of security. They can rest assure that their home is properly protected from the moment they move-in.

20. Rebekah Rogers
    November 14, 2018 | 6:08 pm

Communication is key. Once a client decides they would like a free inspection on their roof,the clamps are on. Then once the inspection is over and we are in the next steps of filing the claim,this is when the glue sets. From the entire claims process through the build,until the final roof is complete,the clamps are looser but still applied. I usually stick with the client throughout the entire process making sure questions,concerns,and praises are well taken care of.

21. Bob Stone
    November 15, 2018 | 9:16 am

At AccuAir Heating and Cooling we help a lot of clients
    with adding air conditioning and heating to previously
    unfinished basements. We design a system that fits
    their needs. Keeping in mind how the space will be used.
    It might be a large home theater or indoor basket ball court. Different uses mean different heat loads.
    We guide them through the design and selection process.
    Once every thing is installed, finished and started up,we then turn over the system to them. We stay in the background for continued service and any other needs.
    Now the client can enjoy and use their new AccuAir system!

22. Lisa Ann Landry
    November 15, 2018 | 5:35 pm

See the Awesome Way A Clamp and Glue Holds It Together

I’m sure you have been in situations at home when something broke. Maybe it is a ceramic figurine. You fixed it by using glue and a clamp to hold it together until the glue set.

In situations when prospects get frantic and overwhelmed when searching for healthcare coverage, the Concierge Health Insurance Agent, Lisa Ann Landy is the glue that holds them together until a policy is set in place.

Once the policy is issued; the health coverage plan along with customer service serves as the clamp that keeps the customer together. The glue (concierge health insurance agent) is there throughout the life of the policy to advice on things such as:

Identifying doctors/ hospitals in the PPO network
    How to make changes to the plan
    Deciding when to exercise the upgrade options
    Setting up the MDLive telemedicine service
    Dealing with customer service on behalf of the client
    Explaining how the policy works

The clamp and glue work better together just as the insurance company along with the insurance agent on behalf of the customer. Would you like to have a concierge health insurance agent holding it together for you? Just call Lisa Ann Landry.

23. Luciana Stone
    November 15, 2018 | 8:03 pm

My business is built with the relationships I have with my clients. My Employees do a cleaning every week or maybe every other week with our clients . Over the years my relationships with them has become very close. Trust has built up so they entrust me with their keys, door codes and alarm codes.They trust me when I send one of my trusted employees. I would love to still do all the cleaning for all these clients but not possible now!

24. Robert W Charlton
    November 15, 2018 | 9:18 pm

In catering, I place the clamps in place when an engagement is confirmed, removed after the post-engagement interview and then, because clamps are re-usable, I give the clamps to the customer to place upon the rack until needed again.
    As Catering is a continuous business model, the key is to insure the client wants to continue to use the clamps which is why you should always maintain communication with them because out of sight, out of mind and out money because you were not called for the next event.

25. John A Kimbell
    November 16, 2018 | 5:55 am

When I was a kid in college at Emory, when I was working in the scene shop and something was built especially sturdy, the instructor would say that it was glued, screwed and tattooed! As a closing attorney, the thing that really cements my relationship with clients and referral resources is getting the job done right, on time, with early communication and a willingness to go beyond expectations. I strive to give everyone that I reach in my practice correct transactions, on-time and leave them with the feeling that they’d gladly come here again and again!