Accurate: Calibrate

Referral Trigger for the week of February 11
What to SAY to GET Referrals
Builder’s Tool: Laser| Purpose: Accurate
Conversation lead by the: Vinings Team

and A builder makes sure a laser is calibrated.

One degree won’t make a difference at one foot; will be noticeable at 20 feet; and will increase the cost of the project at 300 yards.

Share a story where you calibrated for a client. What difference did you create for them because you were attentive?

9 Responses to Accurate: Calibrate
  1. Jane Nowak
    February 12, 2019 | 10:38 am

Paying attention to the details is so important. I recently had a client couple for whom I did a financial plan. After looking over their property tax bill, I realized that they had not filed for their school tax exemption which is available in their county to property owners over the age of 62.
    The exemption is NOT ‘automatic’. After my clients file for their exemption they will be ‘saving’ $2000+ per year in taxes. Yep, $10,000 over 5 years and $20,000 over the next 10 years and so on. Clearly this is a BIG win for my clients! Details do matter.

2. Angelo Gary
    February 12, 2019 | 2:26 pm

A new client called me out due to an issue that they were having with their air conditioner and were told that they needed a new system. When I went out to meet them I listened to symptoms that they described, so I started at the beginning with my diagnostics and went through system and found the problem within minutes. After finding the issue and fixing it the customer explained to me that another guy had been the before me tried to find the problem for 3 hours! The other guy gave up and said that they need to replace the system which was only a few years old. By being attentive the customer did not have to spend more money unnecessarily.

3. Michael Anthony
    February 12, 2019 | 5:38 pm

As a mortgage lender, it is imperative to be precise in calculating a buyer’s total cash-to-close. A buyer was referred by a Realtor that mentioned that they could close with only 3% down! Sounds great, however, there are closing costs and pre-paid items & escrows to consider. We structured the offer together and accounted for every dime that would be needed from my buyer, less what the seller agreed to contribute. The buyer went to closing and was required to wire $150 less than what we estimated! The buyer was super happy and what could have been a sticky situation turned out to be another raving fan!

4. Dr. Amy Forth
    February 13, 2019 | 10:54 am

I perform a thorough consultation and exam on each patient to customize a care plan for them. One of my patients mentioned that at other offices they and their spouse used to receive the same care plan for different problems and they were very appreciative of my developing a plan specific to their needs. They said they definitely noticed positive results from the individual treatment and care plans.

5. Mark Pritchard
    February 13, 2019 | 3:39 pm

I recently met with a client and, after a thorough review of their insurance, we were going to be saving them about $20/month. They were hesitant to make the switch for such a ‘small’ amount. However, helping them understand that $20/month adds up to $240/year and so on, they were more open to the idea of making the change. Furthermore, once I explained that we were going to be also getting them better coverage they were more than ready to make the switch. Small adjustments in limits, deductibles and dollars can add up to large savings and even larger peace of mind over the years!

6. Gregg Allen
    February 13, 2019 | 4:44 pm

I recently was asked to inspect a home where I was told by the Real Estate Agent that there were cracks in the ceiling of the large bonus room above the garage. Further examination showed cracks in the wall at the corner of the bonus room, and then in the garage, cracks were present in the floor and extending up the concrete wall of the garage. Outside the home the concrete sidewalk was settling. The pieces of this puzzle all put together point to settlement of the garage slab and foundation showing as small cracks in the garage floor and getting bigger as you move upward. Knowing that the point of settlement is narrow of settlement, and the area further away is larger is critical as a home inspector.

7. Candice Schell
    February 14, 2019 | 7:41 am

Recently I helped a large group of clients get some major Georgia refunds by claiming Georgia Film credits for prior years. Film credits aren’t always the best options for my clients because the spread between tax savings and the cost of the credit (i.e. short-term capital gains and tax prep fees). However, when working with several high net worth individuals with high state liabilities, you can often get a reduced rate on the credits making the benefit outweigh the cost. So while, for one individual it might not make sense, it may make a world of a difference when you bring them all together. Sometimes you have to look at the big picture and not just what is right in front of you at that very moment.

8. Allan Minter
    February 14, 2019 | 3:57 pm

A seller had some outdated furniture, but an amazing home. I have professional Home Stager who came in and did a complete makeover of his home. She also changed out some light fixtures and did an in depth design consul. It now shows 1,000% better and the pics turned out great. Night and day. We just went to market today and have 5 showings scheduled. Night and day. Some times even just a little staging goes a long way in real estate.

9. Shannon Lifchez
    February 15, 2019 | 4:04 pm

Sometimes you have to step back and see the whole picture before you notice that something is off. We were halfway through installing tile in a shower when we noticed from across the room that the tile looked out of kilter. The level proved that the tile was fine but it turned out that the ceiling was slightly higher on one side. Leveling the ceiling was easy enough but would have been a bigger problem later on if the tile had already gone to the top.