Take A Card

Referral Trigger for the week of April 29
What to DO to GET Referrals
Grow: Cultivate | Take A Card
Conversation lead by the 78 Corridor Team

and To cultivate referrals from Visitors the first step is to take their card, so you have their contact information. Without a card there is no way for you to follow through.

What is the first step for new clients in your business? What is the action they have to take that allows you to cultivate a profitable relationship?

19 Responses to Take A Card
  1. Chip Ivie
    April 26, 2019 | 9:16 am

The first step for cultivating new clients is to meet face-to-face. It shows credibility and builds rapport. We get to know one another and I learn about their wants and needs.

2. Wendy Kinney
    April 26, 2019 | 11:03 am

The first step for them is often filling out the Find-A-Team form on the website after they’ve searched or someone has told them about PowerCore.

The first step for me is calling them to find out about their business, and identify a Team with an opening for them in their traffic pattern.

3. Ryan Williams
    April 28, 2019 | 2:24 pm

The first step I take with my clients is to meet in person or do a conference call. I’ve found that most business owners can clearly articulate what their problems are, but they often do not know how best to correct them. That is particularly true when it comes to technology, which changes rapidly and continuously. It’s difficult enough for full-time development teams to stay on top of these changes, so there is no reason to expect your average business owner to know what is possible. By the end of the meeting or call, I have armed them with possible solutions, a ballpark estimate of the investment required, and a general idea of the return they can expect from their technology investment. That educational first-step establishes the fertile ground of trust required to grow a long-term business relationship.   – Ryan Williams, The Websuasion Group

4. Duncan Cottrell
    April 29, 2019 | 9:21 am

Our first step is to visit the homeowner and provide a thorough consultation of their door and window security needs. We show them all the options which can accommodate various budget and security needs. We are careful to educate the owner and we make sure they are not buying more or less than what they need. At the end of our visit we provide them with a written proposal, so that they know exactly what the cost will be.

5. Rosy Douglas
    April 30, 2019 | 12:39 am

I begin establishing a relationship with clients with a phone call and a personal landscape consultation. I listen to learn their goals and then provide options, recommendations, and education. My goal is to grow a relationship with the client that will last for many years.

6. Rebecca Brizi
    April 30, 2019 | 2:20 pm

The first step I take with a client is a meeting, preferably face to face, to understand their business and concerns. This means both what is the obvious concern they have, and what are the underlying causes or difficulties the business is facing.
    The first step for a client is to build a list of questions. About anything that is a concern, curiosity or hope with regards to their business.

7. Tom Mills
    May 1, 2019 | 11:16 am

I often meet new clients at conferences. It’s easy to start conversations during breaks. I lead with a question about them and it’s often about family or hobbies, rather than business. I build rapport first, then talk about what I do at a later opportunity. Being at a conference usually means I’ll see them again.

8. Lisa Ann Landry
    May 1, 2019 | 2:52 pm

When a prospect becomes a client the first thing I do is make sure they know how their plan works. I send them an invitation to a Zoom meeting where they can see my screen and I take them through a short webinar. Many of my clients are busy entrepreneurs and don’t want to take time away from running their business to participate in the Zoom meeting. To accommodate them, I recorded the webinar and posted it to my Youtube channel. I simply send them the link to the video and they can view it at their convenience.

9. Jacquelyn Csonka
    May 2, 2019 | 3:05 pm

The centerpiece in cultivating a new relationship is an open dialogue centered around learning more about what they hope to accomplish and also what their concerns are. When they are transparent about what they dream for and also what could derail their dreams is when I can do my best work for them. It is when I can take all of the pieces that make up their financial world and then begin to connect them to their goals. When a relationship starts in this manner it makes for a fluid transition into implementing a plan that’s built around their life.

10. Douglas Durham
    May 2, 2019 | 3:49 pm

My customers most often start with a phone call and discussing the desires of their next car. I spend time asking about what car they have presently, exploring thru conversation likes and dislikes, future projections and likeliness of a successful match. Learning exactly what the client wants to drive for the future will sharpen my pencil on setting the proxy of the search.

11. Jamie Paige
    May 2, 2019 | 4:39 pm

When building a relationship with a new client, it is imperative to listen to what it is that they want to achieve in their business, any concerns they might have. Also, to ask the right questions. By doing so, this give me the foundation to building trust and providing the peace of mind of knowing that their best interest is foremost, as my client.

12. John Conley
    May 2, 2019 | 5:03 pm

We often make a site visit to the customer’s business after
    initial contact. This opportunity shifts the focus from our business to theirs and they feel more at ease to discuss their signage and graphic needs. This simple shifting of location allows a more positive relationship to develop as it puts the client at ease and increases communication positively.

13. Nancy Thysell
    May 2, 2019 | 5:46 pm

Getting together for coffee always gives me the opportunity to learn about the visitor’s business and help them to understand mine. This often leads to follow-up visits and referrals. It pays to grow one’s field of businesses to refer, get referral, and make gate openers.

14. Geoffrey Horney
    May 2, 2019 | 5:52 pm

The first step is always the consultation. My best clients make sure to have the time to walk through the job. Just as I want to make the time to get to know them and understand what their vision is, they take the time to explain that vision and help me grasp it. From a small facia repair to refreshing a bathroom. The communication of details is the key.

15. Elbonie Hornbuckle-Preston
    May 3, 2019 | 6:49 am

Asking the right questions is a very important step in initial cultivation. After a very in depth consultation in which I ask many questions which cause them to reflect and ask themselves questions about their past to help me further get to the root issue of why they are in pain in the first place…

16. Diana Crawford
    May 3, 2019 | 9:28 am

I always prefer to have a conversation with a client first. Some clients have only emailed me and we correspond that way, I work however my clients want. Some never want to talk but prefer email, other like phone calls, still others want face to face. I am happy to do any. These conversations though, are key in me understanding what the clients do and then I can apply my knowledge of them and their industry to make sure I identify all of the potential areas for income and deductions. I serve often as a financial coach in helping clients plan business strategy from an income perspective and then how best to intentionally make business purchases and expenses for the best tax advantage. Running a business is not for the faint of heart and I can help with what you don’t know.

Diana Crawford, CPA
    Crawford Merritt & Company
    770-972.6393

17. Kristin Jackson
    May 3, 2019 | 4:53 pm

For new clients, I always make sure that I have fully understood their needs and make sure they understand our services. I never leave a client unless I have everything I need to start our business relationship off on the best foot possible. Making sure I don’t have the ask the client for more information after a meeting, is a way to turn the client off before we even get started. Working with small business owners, its important to get what you need from them while you have their attention.

18. Carrie Richards Leary
    May 3, 2019 | 6:17 pm

As you health and medicare insurance broker, the most important thing for me to do first is to cultivate a relationship and earn trust from my client. I want to make them feel comfortable when they are working with me. When it comes to insurance it is complex. I take my client through the process and explain all the pros and the cons of the plans available. I then allow them to make the decision as to what might fit their need the best. I like to say I give clients peace of mind because at the end of our meeting, I always hear a sigh of relief and get a thank you. This ensures that I have built a good solid relationship with them!

19. Holly Neumann
    July 11, 2019 | 11:39 am

I offer a free consult to get the conversation started with new clients. People wanting a new website usually have a lot of questions. It’s easy to schedule this consult with me. A new client just fills out my contact form which takes them to a scheduler where they can pick a good time for them. Then I call them at the appointed time. The contact form asks some basic questions so that I can prepare for the call.