Make A Call

Referral Trigger for the week of May 20
What to DO to GET Referrals
Grow: Cultivate | Make A Call
Conversation lead by the Buckhead Team (100% responses achieved)

and The person who makes the first move gets the credit – and the benefit.

Where in your business do you take the initiative instead of more comfortably waiting for the prospect to make the next move?

How did you learn to do this valuable thing?

26 Responses to Make A Call
  1. Jim Lewis
    May 17, 2019 | 10:56 am

Being a dog lover I notice other people with dogs. I work in a mixed-use complex where many of the people who rent the apartments have dogs….really large dogs in a lot of cases. When I see someone walking their dog I give them my card and say, “If you ever want to get your friend there a really nice backyard to play in, give me call.” The owner of a Golden-Doodle recently took me up on it, and is closing on a home with a yard for his “best friend”, next month.

2. Karen Armstrong
    May 17, 2019 | 11:39 am

After I meet with someone about their home, I schedule follow up calls even if they say they are not ready to sell quite yet. It’s amazing how ready a seller becomes when they see the house of their dreams come on the market. I had to learn the hard way that sellers ARE talking to other agents and if I don’t follow up with them I am likely to see someone else’s real estate sign in their yard. Follow up! Follow up!

3. Greg Golden
    May 17, 2019 | 2:21 pm

When a potential client first meets with me, I engage in some “small talk” to make him/her more comfortable, as it can be a very stressful first meeting to discuss a divorce or other family law issues. During this “small talk”, I try to learn something personal about him/her (e.g., favorite sports team, hobbies, etc.). I am looking for a reason to be able to reach out to him/her the following day or so, without being “in your face” about these sensitive issues. For example, if he/she is an Atlanta United fan, I’ll say something about the previous game or I looked for you at the game but must of missed you among the 70,000 people. Of course, I end the communication by stating that it was a pleasure meeting with him/her and feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. I will typically get a response and it serves as an effective segue to the more serious issues.

4. Mark Thomas
    May 17, 2019 | 5:18 pm

When I receive a referral and it has been made known to me that the prospect is interested in speaking to me, that is an invitation for me to make a call. As a personal injury attorney, it is not appropriate for me to cold call a potential client. However, if he or she is interested in speaking to me regarding a potential case, and have given their telephone number to my referral source and asked me to call, I will do so forthwith. Years ago, I received a good car wreck referral. The referral source told me that the potential client would be calling shortly, but it would be okay to call her directly. Not wanting to come on too strong, I waited, and waited and waited. Finally, after a week I reached out to her. She said, “Since I did not hear from you, I called someone else.” Ouch. Lesson learned.

5. Kevin Ames
    May 17, 2019 | 5:47 pm

While “photographer” describes what people see me doing when I’m on set (studio or location) with my camera and lights, the truth is I am an active planner and doer of homework.
    I spend a lot of time understanding what the story a photograph I am creating for my client has to tell. I ask a lot of questions. I provide examples from my own files or share boards created on Pinterest to get a visual understanding of a client’s wants.
    I do as much preparation and planning as I can prior to providing a project proposal to my client. Once the approval is signed the real work begins. I proactively scout locations or provide lighting ideas and background concepts in the studio before the shoot. I create gear lists. I go to locations and scout where the light comes from, where power outlets are and any security arrangements. I talk with property management to find out about moving equipment through a building. I provide a certificate of insurance and then I follow up to make sure the management company has received it.
    A successful photography shoot is all about the details. I work up front to get them all down well before the camera finds its way onto the tripod.

6. Heather Riggs
    May 20, 2019 | 10:14 am

I start advising a potential client about their marketing from the moment I know they’re interested. Often these conversations lead to a bigger sale because the client feels consulted with rather than sold to. We are also able to discover other “needs improvement” areas that may not have been on the potential client’s radar otherwise. This “free advice” lets my clients know I genuinely care about them and their success, no matter which services they choose to pursue with me. They’ll also always know the why behind my suggestions.

• Melissa Howell
      May 21, 2019 | 11:12 pm

I know you do an amazing job for your clients and go above and beyond to give them best advice and that you truly care about their success!

7. Jim Demetry
    May 20, 2019 | 1:14 pm

I partnered with the Chamblee Chamber of Commerce to do a free monthly Human Resources law and best practices roundtable that attracts businesses and HR professionals, which are my target clients. Through the events, I am able to highlight my legal expertise and learn about the individuals that attend and their businesses. Once we have connected through the roundtable event, I can start a conversation to determine if they have legal needs that I can help them solve.

8. Leida Montanez Hardmon
    May 20, 2019 | 9:20 pm

When onboarding a client, I start by performing a network assessment. I use that data to map out a feasible technology strategy for my client. Those report results also provide me with additional information that allows me to take initiative that helps me show the value in my services. I inform clients of date-sensitive upgrades, make recommendations for system patches or calling out issues around compliance. I save my clients time and money by sharing this additional detail.

9. Rebecca Brizi
    May 21, 2019 | 2:09 pm

I always have the last word.

For every meeting, encounter, phone call, email exchange – I want to ensure my counterpart is never left at all empty handed and always knows what to do next. So I have built the habit of always having the last word and ensuring communication is extra clear.

In fact, I also endeavor to have the first word, by following up within the day whenever I can.

My clients have a lot to manage and keep coherent – good communications means one less thing to worry about.

10. Ryan Williams
    May 21, 2019 | 3:33 pm

The first move I take with a web application prospect is to do an evaluation of their domain name ownership, registrar, and DNS settings. These can be an impediment to moving forward with application development if they are not currently within the client’s control. I give them a list of what needs to be changed and who best to contact if they don’t already know. This allows us to move forward smoothly and adds to our technical credibility. Years of experience has taught me that domain and DNS issues are confusing to clients, so I do all I can to make it clear and actionable.

11. Melissa Howell
    May 21, 2019 | 11:11 pm

When prospective clients come to me and say “I need to be on Facebook!” – I like to sit down and find out who their ideal clients are and then discuss if FB is the best option, or if we should instead focus on Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, or another site. I want to make sure that we are creating a great presense where their customers are, whether it be on FB or somewhere else!

12. Susan Levin
    May 22, 2019 | 6:05 pm

From the time I hear from a Physician in reference to a referral or a potential new client them self, I schedule a call just as soon as possible as I know if someone is in need of help they are in need yesterday. Once we have chatted for about 20-30 minutes and determined that they would like to schedule time with me I immediately forward a New Patient Letter and provide them with all the details I believe they will need. If I do not hear back from them within 24 hours I take the lead to follow up and see if there are questions or concerns that they have that were not addressed. Often they are just pulling several years of lab work together and it can take some time. However, letting them know I am there for them to answer questions and to let them know that no question is too small or unimportant is very comforting to many of my clients that are quite ill. I also will drop them a note one I have received all of their material and review with them what the next steps will be. Many of my clients have not been heard. Their practitioners have not taken their concerns seriously and so for me it is essential to keep them in the loop and to create a relationship that they can trust and feel that they are being heard and that all of their material even if it takes 6-12 hours will, in fact, be reviewed in depth and then with an extended consultation set up we can move forward.

13. Linda Kuryloski
    May 22, 2019 | 8:45 pm

People often come to me with a specific need…..I inherited money, I lost my husband, I changed jobs, I just got divorced, I need to send my kid to college, I want to retire, etc….. Before recommending what to do, I ask them about their goals, their risk tolerance, their expenses, their debts, their fears, their desires, their family situation, and many other issues that they may not have thought about. All thes data is needed to make recommend a proper solution.
    Knowing your client and all their concerns/issues is an essential part of being a CFP.

14. Brian Prusik
    May 22, 2019 | 10:12 pm

I provide free education and materials to help business owners and HR managers understand and implement Georgia’s Drug-free workplace program that will save their company 7.5% on their workmen’s comp insurance premium. I’m confident they will use Fastest Labs over a traditional medical clinic for their drug testing needs when they experience our speed, knowledge and superior service.

15. Neeli Shah
    May 23, 2019 | 9:36 am

As a Wills, Trust, and Estates attorney, I always take the initiative to call a prospect to better understand their needs and then to walk them through my process. I also discuss my fees during this call. Finally, after the call, I send them a questionnaire that helps them think through the various aspects of their Wills/Trusts that they may not have previously thought through.

Neeli

16. Jennifer Raby
    May 23, 2019 | 10:11 am

I make sure all of my prospects know that I’m accessible to answer questions via email because I would rather they get their fitness information from a certified trainer rather than relying on the internet to solve any issues they may have with working out. I encourage them to find me on social media as well and with that they get a sense of who I am as a person. This allows me to build a rapport before we even start working together!

17. Bo Riddle
    May 23, 2019 | 10:13 am

Many of the clients that I am working with in 2019 signed their leases in 2014 or earlier for their commercial space. The commercial real estate market has changed dramatically in the last 5 years. Vacancies are at historical lows and rental rates have risen more than 30% in that period.
    The process of finding space, negotiating a deal, getting the buildout on the space completed in time are all taking more time than it used to.
    I email a past client about 14 months before the end of their current lease. I send them a survey of their particular submarket. This helps get the ball rolling as well as gives them a look at what the current conditions are and what their current landlord will be asking for should they desire to stay in their location.
    “Time” is really the only ally that a tenant has today and it is only an ally as long as you have enough of it. The surest way to get the best deal from your current landlord is if they know you have enough time to find a fair deal if they don’t want to give you one. Starting the process early ensures that.

18. Matt Frazier
    May 23, 2019 | 12:27 pm

I set, and listen to, expectations.

In my first contact with a prospect I lay out how I do business and what the process will demand of them. Since this is different than most insurance agents, I also use this time to explain why these steps are both beneficial and necessary.

I also take the time to understand their goals for this project to make sure that we’re on the same page. If I can’t provide them the value they want, then I let them know. Once we understand each other we begin work on crafting their individualized risk management plan.

19. Taylor Sellers
    May 23, 2019 | 12:33 pm

My prospects are real estate agents. There are good agents and bad agents. If I enjoy working with an agent, I’ll tell them and tell them I would like to keep working with them in the future. We’ll set up a time for a coffee after and usually keep working together.

20. David Wise
    May 23, 2019 | 3:38 pm

Whenever we send an estimate, I call and ask if the customer received it. This starts a good conversation from “Thanks, just pricing” to “Yes, but have not reviewed it.” to “When can you start?”
    No matter what the answer it, I get to leave them with an impression that we want their next job. I also attach our flyer of our other services.

21. Rob Riggs
    May 23, 2019 | 5:31 pm

Before working with a client, I run a 7-point assessment that analyzes the effectiveness of their internet presence. It covers perspectives like User Experience, Conversion Viability, SEO, Performance and Security, etc. This assessment serves to highlight areas of critical importance during our sales cycle, but also as a benchmark for our development phase. Anything we launch passes our Standard of Effectiveness that will lead our client to a web presence that generates revenue as opposed to a budget line item.

22. Lisa Ann Landry
    May 23, 2019 | 6:25 pm

In my experience as a health insurance agent, I’ve learned that busy clients don’t always read their emails or their health coverage policies.

Even though I invite them to do a screen share with me so that I can explain how the plan works, many people don’t take me up on the offer.

Consequently, I’ve taken the initiative to create a 15-minute webinar that teaches my clients how the plan works. Each new client gets and a link to the webinar that they can watch at their convenience.

I’ve learned that clients who don’t understand how the plan works cancel their policies. This small step has made a significant difference in the reduction of cancelations.

23. Dr. James Myers
    May 23, 2019 | 7:58 pm

As a chiropractor, it is my responsibility to recommend a plan of care. I have to let my patients know what treatments I will be utilizing and the number of visits that they will need, and the frequency of those visits.

So I take the initiative to tell my patients when they need to come in for treatments and let them know how and why this is going to reliable their spinal and health problems.