Take Initiative

Referral Trigger for the week of May 6
What to DO to GET Referrals
Grow: Cultivate | Take Initiative
Conversation lead by the Alpharetta Team

and Initiative, taking the first step, is uncomfortable. That’s why it’s so valuable – because many people don’t want to get their hands dirty in the garden.

Give an example in your business of a place where you take the initiative, the responsibility for action, not because you enjoy it, but because you know it’s the right thing to do.

20 Responses to Take Initiative
  1. Diana Crawford
    May 3, 2019 | 9:24 am

I always review prior tax returns for clients as a courtesy. If I see something wrong or missed, I inform the client and they decide if they want to file an amendment. I don’t charge for reviewing what happened in the past, it gives me good information to find what is not there but should have been or what is there and shouldn’t be too!

Diana Crawford, CPA
    Crawford Merritt & Company
    770-972-6393

2. Nikki Hirshowitz
    May 3, 2019 | 9:47 am

As a doula and a chiropractor I make sure that my current pregnant mamas or my soon to be pregnant mamas are well versed in choices. I don’t work as a doula anymore but I still educate them on birthplans, education groups, resources outside my office, and if possible set them up with others in the community that I know and trust to further them on their motherhood journey. I not only want to be a safe space for their spinal health but their growing families too!

3. Kristin Jackson
    May 3, 2019 | 4:41 pm

In sales, most of us choose to allow the business to come to them. I take the initiative by making 200-300 cold calls a day to bring my self more business.
    This is not required by my employer for my particular job, but I know that I have to do the digging in order to plant roots. Diamonds are buried in the rocks and it takes hard work and determination to find them!

4. Ryan Pinson
    May 3, 2019 | 4:45 pm

In the mortgage industry it is important for me to first take a look at credit. Once I have done that 8 review to see where any improvements can be made to make sure that I am giving my clients the best deal possible to them. Credit repair is not my job, but this is an easy way for me to add value to my service.

5. Lonnie Anderson
    May 3, 2019 | 4:57 pm

When I am working with a client that wants to purchase a home, I look up the history of that property, any building permits that were obtained or should have been obtained, and the value of that property. As a former builder and a remodeling and rehab contractor, I look at the value not only from what the numbers show, but for what has been done to the property to enhance it or what needs to be done and will be an additional cost.

6. Lonnie Anderson
    May 3, 2019 | 4:58 pm

When I am working with a client that wants to purchase a home, I look up the history of that property, any building permits that were obtained or should have been obtained, and the value of that property. As a former builder and a remodeling and rehab contractor, I look at the value not only from what the comparable numbers show but for what has been done to the property to enhance it or what needs to be done and will be an additional cost.

7. Jamecia Bowers
    May 4, 2019 | 12:02 am

It is important that when a client has had a more aggressive treatment, like a chemical peel, to make sure that I check in with them within a week. At times tings seem fine after the service was performed but complications may arrive later. Checking in is very important to ensure the service has gone as planned and the client is reactivating optimally in the days following their service.

8. Jessica Praskovich
    May 7, 2019 | 5:19 pm

As an agent I’m very active within my insurance agency. I frequently market and go out to meet new faces and make calls to gain trust and rapport with clients and advise on insurance needs.

9. Melissa Howell
    May 8, 2019 | 10:54 am

I am always willing to jump in and get my hands dirty! Many people come to me for a specific service in Social Media Management but when I am going to make one aspect of their digilal presence updated, I want to make sure that is consistent across all of their digital presense. I will offer an analysis of their customer-facing marketing and provide suggestions for items that aren’t in my niche with referrals to other people who can help them. People buy from a consistent package and if one thing looks great and another thing looks bad, it is confusing to customers and they might go elsewhere.

10. Rebecca Brizi
    May 8, 2019 | 2:15 pm

Skepticism.

My job is to probe all my clients’ answers so we can get beyond what is superficially apparent to some root causes and needs of their business management. So I start each conversation prepared to question what I am told.

11. Brenda Malik
    May 9, 2019 | 9:50 am

During this time of year clients can have a few 4 & 6 legged non paying clients that come in without an appointment. When staff sees this I have to notify my contact at the facility about this situation as part of my cleaning responsibilities. Not only do I inform them about their visitors I also have a pest control person to refer them to. That makes them feel better about my business because I can state a problem and can provide a solution to get it solved at the same time.

12. Nashica McRath
    May 10, 2019 | 9:42 am

When I review a clients portfolio and I realize based on the information they have told me and the goals they have indicated that the funds in this portfolio are for, they maybe in the incorrect investments. I think will be sure to communicate that to my clients, and let them know it is based on the information they have given to me, which will include, their level of risk tolerance, goals and use for these assets, and the time horizon we are working within. I will also communicate when I see that a client is in the appropriate investments. Thank You.

13. Kerry Singley
    May 10, 2019 | 10:29 am

When building race cars is part of how you make your income, and have to tell a customer that you think that driving a race car is no longer a good idea for them, where safety outways income. This possibly saved a life and definitely save to friendship.

14. Mason Hardin
    May 10, 2019 | 11:08 am

At the end of the year we run tax projections for our clients to make sure they have paid enough in estimated taxes throughout the year. This can both reduce unnecessary penalties and prevent large unexpected tax bills in April.

15. Butch Nicholson
    May 10, 2019 | 11:51 am

There is a 2 Year Warranty, materials and labor on all our jobs. In addition, we make a site visit 4-6 weeks after completion. There are jobs where we can spot a small problem that the Homeowner would not notice. Taking care of a small problem right away can prevent big problems later.

16. Alberto Sapoznik
    May 10, 2019 | 1:07 pm

I like this question, because it goes to the heart of why I enjoy what I do so much. Anybody can take offers back and forth, but to truly help you have to step up and fight for your client.
    In my business, I routinely cross of whole paragraphs, or write suggested changes to leases which are proposed to my clients, to get them more benefits, or to limit their liability, personally.
    I am proud and enjoy taking the extra step for my client.

17. Jeff Buchweitz
    May 10, 2019 | 1:38 pm

Once I am introduced to a client and typically after application, I often have to make suggestions that may or may not be in line with the client’s goal regarding the loan type, down payment or monthly payment of the new mortgage. If I did not take the initiative to walk through their overall financial scenario, I would not be a financial partner to them and thus possibly set the client up for tough times in the future.

18. Jill Paxton
    May 10, 2019 | 2:04 pm

I had to break up with a client looking for a home for her daughter. She did not want to spend a lot of money but was unhappy with the homes in her price range. It was not something that I would regularly do because I always want to make my clients happy but she was not going to be happy and later on I heard she had been let go by other agents.

19. Doug Wheeler
    May 10, 2019 | 2:35 pm

For some reason most individuals do not know that mood is how they come across. When you are taking a pictures make sure you put on a happy face. It is all in the attitude.

20. Mary Ann Staff
    May 13, 2019 | 8:45 am

As in any sales position or customer service industry, you must get out and meet people. I am very good at attending network events, where I go up to the individual and introduce myself. I listen and learn about the them. To me, it is fun to learn other peoples stories.