The Seed of What to Ask

Referral Trigger for the week of September 23
What to Say to Get Referrals
Grow: Seeds Determine Results | The Seed of  What to Ask
Conversation lead by the:  North Point Team

and A Kindling Question is not direct: “Have you priced insurance”?

It starts the conversation: “Is he saving for his first car?”

Count three people to your left: in a conversation with a client this week, what could you ask that would kindle a conversation that could go in the direction of this Member?

17 Responses to The Seed of What to Ask
  1. Laz Economidis
    September 23, 2019 | 2:40 pm

The kindling question is “how long have you been a smoker?”
    This could lead into a conversation about smoking cessation, which could lead to a referral for Raymond Berger, the hypnotherapist on the team.

2. David Machost
    September 23, 2019 | 5:27 pm

Kindling Question:
    Ron, how do you handle your incoming calls when you’re meeting with a prospective client? Do they go to voice mail or go unanswered?

Direction of Conversation:
    Ron, have you thought you may be losing out on business because your phone was not properly answered? I would like to put you in contact with Richard Rehme, he is the owner of Intelligent Office. He can show you how you all of your phone calls are answered by an office professional and it is specifically coordinated for your business so no more calls go unanswered or roll to voice mail.

3. Linda Loud
    September 24, 2019 | 6:29 pm

Kindling Q’s for friends with aging parents:
    How’s your Mom/Dad doing? Will s/he be able to come visit during the holidays?

These questions could lead to a referral for Mike McCoy with Real McCoy Home Care if parents are getting to the place where they need assistance with physical/health concerns beyond what family members are willing/able to provide.

4. Peter Tarantino
    September 24, 2019 | 6:54 pm

Kindling Q’s for client’s with aging parents.

How are your parent’s doing? Often times this leads to a discussion about mobility issues and concerns for their parents being alone for long periods. This can result in leads for Mike McCoy who can provide caretakers, Robert Slocum who can make modifications to the parent’s home to make it more friendly to “aging in place” and even Karen Baxter if they want refinance their own home to fund the build out of an in-law suite to have their parents move in with them.

5. Robert Slocum
    September 24, 2019 | 8:50 pm

Kindling question for clients that have insect or critter damage.

Did you know there are non toxic lawn treatments that can repell snakes?
    Great conversation starter to introduce Donny Bryan. I don’t know anyone that doesn’t have a snake story.

6. Kelly Vandever
    September 26, 2019 | 9:31 am

3 people to my left was David MacHost who does insurance for businesses.

I can imagine talking to a small business owner complaining about an employee issue.

My kindling question would be something like, “What did you do next?”

As I listen, I’d listen for them to see if they’d called their insurance carrier. I could eventually see working in a question about does your insurance cover for that particular employee issue? Then say I know a guy who could look over her policy to see if she’s covered. Bam! Referral for Dave!

7. Bill Weaver
    September 26, 2019 | 9:44 am

Kindling question for a client with a water damage issue:

Are you happy with your insurance company?

Direction of Conversation:
    Would you like an introduction to a insurance broker that can get you the proper coverage at the best price? I would like to put you in contact with David Machost. He is my insurance guy. I used to be with one of the Big, well known insurance companies for over 20 years. David saved me a significant amount of money.

8. Mark A, Weiss
    September 26, 2019 | 11:43 am

This is a kindling question for a neighbor who is in the early stages of interviewing contractors for a major home renovation.

“Have you considered different options in financing your renovation project?”

This could lead to a conversation with Karen Baxter of Renasant Bank.
    As this will be a large project, Karen could share a number of financing or refinancing options that could meet the neighbor’s needs as the scope and price of the project becomes more defined.

9. Oren Ross
    September 26, 2019 | 1:22 pm

3 people to my left today was Janice Strong, a business attorney.

A kindling question for someone might be “Are you still thinking about starting your own company?” This would lead to questions about the logistics and possible pitfalls of starting a business, so I could eventually guide them to Janice Strong for advice and documents.

10. Mike McCoy
    September 26, 2019 | 1:42 pm

A kindling question for Richard Rehme from Intelligent Office.

I see that your business calls go to your cell phone/answering machine. Have you considered using a service to answer calls, schedule appointments etc so that you don’t miss out on business opportunities?

11. Karen Baxter
    September 26, 2019 | 1:54 pm

A kindling question for a self-employed relative is frustrated always having to owe the IRS at tax time and are preparing to sell their business within the next 2 years.

Are you considering looking for a new accountant that better understands your business?

This would lead to an introduction to Peter Tarantino our tax expert.

12. Jay Pittroff
    September 26, 2019 | 2:20 pm

Three people to my left was Robert Slocum. A kindling question would be; “Are you frustrated with handymen that don’t respond to your calls”.

Also, only to be used with someone close to you…”It looks like your home could use a little updating”!

I know a guy…

13. Curtis Turner III
    September 26, 2019 | 2:56 pm

A good kindling question regarding Linda Loud is I saw your daughter’s engagement announcement. Are you having photos made? Or are you having a bride maid’s event? Or are you having events leading up to the wedding?

14. Doug Fountain
    September 26, 2019 | 3:11 pm

A potential kindling question for Mark Thomas might be: A serious injury can severely stunt your financial well being and personal happiness, have you discussed your options with someone?

15. Donny Bryan
    September 26, 2019 | 3:18 pm

Linda Loud was three to the left of me today. A kindling question would be, “how long has it been since you have had a girls day? I know that Linda likes to pamper her clients prior to selling them products.

16. Janice Strong
    September 26, 2019 | 3:52 pm

3 to my left was Alberto Sapoznik. In conversations with my clients, I could plant a kindling question such as “With your business growth, have you considered looking at expanding your space?” This would lead to discussion of costs, location, etc… and eventually a plug for Alberto who represents buyers and tenants!

17. Raymond Berger
    September 26, 2019 | 11:36 pm

Today something that Peter Tarantino said during his 7 minute made me think of a kindling question. He was discussing the tax treatment of a home office for business owners. This made me want to learn more and got me thinking. If I am ever having a conversation with a person and I find out they are self employed or a small business owner with a home office I can ask something like: “These new tax regulations have severely impacted the way I report my home office deduction. How have you handled it?”. If they they haven’t given it much thought and that they need to consider revisiting it will allow me to make a referral to Peter.