Invite Like a Date

Referral Trigger for the week of January 13
What to Do to GET Referrals
Grow: Master Gardener – Etiquette
Conversation lead by the: The Whitlock Avenue Team (100% Qualified)

and All cultures and industries have etiquette guidelines.

Share a standard in your industry that we aren’t aware of.

[1] Who taught you this norm?

[2] How does it benefit you?

[3] How does it benefit your clients?
28 Responses to Invite Like a Date
  1. Ned Goepp
    January 10, 2020 | 11:04 am

In the Storage business, there is no Pro-Rating of the cost of a month. The rule is you bill on the anniversary date, and are responsible for another full month.

Since I joined SmartBox we instituted a “Grace Period” of 3 days to allow for small exceptions. For example
    if your Anniversary date falls on a Sunday or Holiday when we are not running, we do not hold you responsible.
    The 3 days allows for pick up to be completed & the customer to not feel penalized. To my knowledge we are the only ones in the industry to do this

I instituted the policy in the Atlanta market, and the Franchisor has shared with the rest of the country. The benefit to me & SmartBox is it shows a willingness to work with the customer. The benefit to the customer is it saves them a full month’s storage for a day or two of use.

2. Denise Jutze
    January 10, 2020 | 11:17 am

Share a standard in your industry that we aren’t aware of.
    I believe that a standard in the industry as a whole is the ability to not only process payroll but to ensure all taxes and tax filing are completed in a timely manner to remove the risk of late penalties and fees that would be incurred by the client for non compliance.

Who taught you this norm? I do not believe that it was any one person, you learn it in the earliest stages of the sales cycle.

How does it benefit you? The benefit that I see is that I am ale to derive a sense of self satisfaction that I have communicated in such a way that the employer would trust me/us. Once they have been able to have a consistent experience and realized the administrative burden that it removed. To see them experience the relief brings me joy!

How does it benefit your clients? My clients benefits by having the peace of mind knowing that this critical factor in their short/long term business health can be placed in almost a fix it and forget it mode. This allows them to focus on key strategies and activities that will allow their business to grow!

Denise Jutze
    SBRUS2 Payroll Services

3. Scott Orr
    January 10, 2020 | 11:50 am

Share a standard in your industry that we aren’t aware of.
    In the life insurance industry there is a standard called the “know your client” rule. This means that before I can make any recommendation, I need to become familiar with my client’s entire situation. This helps me ensure that my recommendations will be sustainable to the client and their family long term.
    Who taught you this norm?
    I received initial training when I started in the business 10+ years ago and also complete continuing education training year after year to maintain my licenses.
    How does it benefit you?
    This benefits me by giving me the confidence that the recommendations I’m making are suitable and indeed what is best for the client. It also shows the client that I am a professional, rather than a quote machine or just another sales person trying to sell them something they don’t need.
    How does it benefit your clients?
    This benefits my clients by giving them the peace of mind that they are making a good decision and protecting their families and businesses adequately.

4. Jim Hilber
    January 10, 2020 | 11:51 am

In the fast paced world of Merchant Payment Services a 24 hour help desk is a norm. This industry has become very transactional and less relational. But after 25 years in the industry I have found that business owners prefer to do business with credible people and not brands. I enjoy having the ability to be backed by some of the finest companies and products in the payments world who also staff additional support for my clients. However, I truly value a client that still respects a personal touch. My phone number remains accessible to all our merchants. Even texting has provided an often used personal level of service. I was taught long ago by a mentor that it is best to reply as soon as possible to customer requests, even if you cannot yet help or don’t have the answer they are looking for. Candid open, personal communication benefits both my customers and our ability to keep them happy for the long term. Don’t we all want the opportunity to do that?

5. Nicole Valdez
    January 10, 2020 | 11:53 am

Now a days people don’t always have their own personal banker like they used to and they don’t come into the bank as often either. However, our main goal when we start a relationship with someone is to grow that relationship and help them with any financial goals they have and to stay in contact with them. It’s not meant to be a one and done meeting. A solid follow up process benefits me because it keeps me more top of mind. If one of my clients has a question or a need I want them to think of me first because of the relationship I have built with them. For example, if I haven’t talked to someone since they opened their business account with me over a year ago, they most likely won’t think of me when they want to expand their business and need to finance a new building. Building that relationship helps me get continual business. This benefits my customer because it provides them peace of mind and a direct contact. They know they can reach out to me via phone or email and know that they don’t have to come into the bank whenever they need anything. I also have the flexibility to come to them if needed. It also saves them by having one point of contact for their banking needs.

6. Brandon brackenridge
    January 10, 2020 | 1:12 pm

In the flooring industry its usually standard to get 3 quotes. I love when this happens because it gives the customer a true chance to see the difference in what B Floored Today has to offer vs my so called competition. My quality and passion gets high lighted vs the rest. I show my customers how I truly care vs the last sales guy they seen who just wants to make his commissions. I want to make a everlasting impression with my client that they will never forget! Please I beg you get other quotes and I’ll be back next week to sign a contract and talk dates and times to start. 😀

7. Linzy Parsons
    January 10, 2020 | 1:16 pm

The standard or minimum limits of liability coverage for auto insurance are determined by each state. Georgia requires every vehicle have a minimum limit of $25,000 per person for bodily injury coverage, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury coverage and $25,000 in coverage for property damage. While these are the standards for Georgia, this is not the norm for my clients.

Part of my process in reviewing my clients insurance needs is to find out how they chose their current coverages/policy. I was taught in the early stages of my career to counsel my clients on these minimum limits of coverage and ask them, “If you were involved in an at fault accident and the damages exceeded your insurance limits, would you have enough money personally, to pay the difference?” The answer is usually no.

I can then illustrate that increasing their limits of liability slightly may cost them an extra few dollars a month.

Having this consultative approach shows my client’s that I care about protecting them with the right coverage for their unique needs.

This benefits my clients because they can trust that they are adequately protected and know exactly what to expect when they have to file a claim.

8. JB Kitts
    January 10, 2020 | 1:48 pm

I was taught by a mentor and friend in my industry that the focus of my business is to always empower people’s lives by showing them a better way. I do this by authentically sharing our products, services and opportunity and letting them decide for themselves if this is the right thing for them or not.

This benefits me because I’m able to positively impact the lives of others and benefits them because they are empowered with the benefits of the product or the opportunity.

9. Kriston Sellier
    January 10, 2020 | 1:58 pm

In graphic design, the standard is proper letter spacing (aka typesetting).

The distance between letters creates words and spaces. Many fonts don’t have proper spacing in certain words and therefor needs to be hand kerned. Kerning is increasing and decreasing the space between letters.

I was taught this while in college when typesetting poems for a “typography” graphic design class. It benefits me because I can very closely see how incorrect spacing makes in difficult to read words easily. The benefits that clients get is that their type is always easy to read and has been hand kerned for the optimal reading experience.

This invisible work “kerning” is one of the single most profound skills as a graphic designer. It takes time to even work on 2 lines of copy. Even the numbers should be a half point size smaller than the letters on the same line because numbers are built to be taller. When the numbers are smaller they fall in line with the letters making the copy easier to read.

10. Deana Dalrymple
    January 10, 2020 | 4:33 pm

Since 1906, an industry standard for process printing is the CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) color model. Why is Black represented with a “K”? ‘K’ stands for ‘Key’. There will be a different printing “plate” for each color; the “key plate” is said to add the “detail” to a printed image. The black plate in a four color process print pushes the contrast and creates “detail”. During the printing process, these four colors are “layered” on the paper to create any color in the color wheel. For color consistency, we mix special colors called “Pantone Matching System”. I learned this “norm” in college and have used it to date. This is beneficial to clients because it makes the process consistent. It is important that art files are supplied using this model and in vector format, so strict guidelines help mainstream this process.

11. Jeni Rakestraw
    January 12, 2020 | 6:35 pm

In the Interior Design and Decorating business etiquette has a high standard and expectation attached to it. I believe honesty is above all standards on the list. I have often heard of designers ripping off their clients, embezzling (billing for furniture/staging pieces but keeping them for themselves) adding dollar amounts to pieces of furniture, then adding on the commission and also getting cut backs from the suppliers on top of their commissions from the clients. It is unfortunate that these things can take place, but I am a firm believer in KARMA. I wrote a blog about when you treat people in the way you want your mother to be treated…..That kindness and respect will come back around. Having this standard is what generates referrals from existing clients for years down the road.(we call that planting a tree of oranges). Unfortunately, how to be dishonest is sometimes taught early in my field of Interior Design but I refuse to get ahead financially or otherwise if requires anything dishonest. It is vital for the client and the designer to have “trust” in order for the design to come out exceptionally. If there is ever a discomfort or lack of chemistry, it is up to the designer to withdraw from the project and refund the client the deposits in order to keep a healthy relationship and reputation.

12. Dr. Laurie Dady
    January 12, 2020 | 7:13 pm

In the holistic industry, health insurance does not recognize or cover functional medicine care. We learned this by attending insurance billing seminars for chiropractic care. With chiropractic care, people are told they have coverage in their health care plan, however, the deductible is so high that by the time they meet that deductible amount, their visits have been exhausted. This benefits us because we don’t have to spend time and money billing insurance companies and the patients benefit because they’re given a discounted rate (if paid up front) & it they have an HSA (health savings account) card, they can use it to pay for their care.

13. Shawn Livingston
    January 13, 2020 | 12:36 pm

Having proper etiquette around my clients is very important. I hear all the time about what other contractors did or did not do at a customers house. It comes down to showing respect for another persons home. First, I arrive on time. There is nothing worse then a customer waiting on you to get there. Second, I always make sure I am dressed appropriately for work. Looking like a slob does not give a person a lot of confidence that you will do a good job. Third, I always speak kindly to people. I speak to them like I would wanted to be spoken to. Having respect for someone in their home should always happen. I always treat their home better then I would my own. I don’t leave messes, I always leave it looking better than I found it. I don’t track mud or dirt throughout the house. I cover things and clean up. I don’t look at these items as something I have to work at or preach about, it’s just something I do. And my customers appreciate it and that’s probably why I get so much repeat business.

14. Aaron Pareigis
    January 13, 2020 | 4:34 pm

You don’t actually have to be certified to be a yoga instructor. However, we have industry standards, or at least there are a couple organizations that are standardize teacher trainings, improve requirements, institute minimum teaching and continuting education requirements and in general raise the level of competence in order to be what is called “a yoga teacher” or “yoga instructor”. I call myself a “coach”.
    Yoga Alliance is the largest and most globally recognized organization holding individuals to minimum standards. This was not always the case. The Industry standards (set by the industry) are reletively new because Yoga, as an industry, is relatively new.

These required standards to be certified by Yoga Alliance are taught in all teacher training.

Having achieved and maintained teacher standards keeps me on my toes. The standards require me to continue my own yoga practice. I know teachers who teach 20 classes per week. That leaves no time for a personal practice. Continuing education is required personal practice to expand my knowledge of yoga and maintining this benefits me.

This benefits my clients because they can have confidence in my teaching. You don’t want a teacher that doesn’t actually practice. Additionally, they have a place to view my cradentials and continuting education. Where I teach, how much I teach. I am constantly practicing myself, educating myself on the aspects I need more knowledge in. Maintaining these standards, benefits my customers.

15. Andreas Wilder
    January 13, 2020 | 9:15 pm

The industry norm for analyzing an investment portfolio is measuring what percentage of stocks and bonds a client owns in order to identify how much risk a client is taking. The higher the percentage of stocks, the larger the amount of risk.

I learned this during the early stages of my career and it was reinforced in the Chartered Financial Analyst curriculum.

I use this every day when having to quickly answer questions on the fly about my clients’ portfolios: if i have little time to prepare for a call with a client he/she requests, I use this metric as a quick measure of how we are positioned and as a starting point for building recommendations.

In the face of complexity, I have found that clients prefer simplicity. It’s easy for my clients to grasp a pie chart shaded with yellow and blue and determine where they are on the portfolio risk spectrum. If they are feeling particularly uneasy when we review the percentages of stocks and bonds, it’s a great way for us to explore what the options are moving forward to help align their portfolio with their tolerance for risk.

16. Bart Nunley
    January 14, 2020 | 10:54 am

This is a fun one! Most people don’t fully understand or even want to fully understand what we do in the IT world. However, when something is broke, they want it fixed now. Having a healthy Network is a process. Think of your network as your body. If you maintain it, it bounces back quickly. If you neglect it, it takes longer to repair!

I learned this from my business partner. My personality is very much, “don’t tell me how you killed the giant, just tell me he’s dead.” And do it quickly! I won’t say nothing happens quickly because sometimes it certainly does! However, you also have to understand the process and time that repairs, updates, migrations, etc. take to do.

With our MSP clients, its a benefit because we have already set up the architecture and insfrastructure within their networks to make solutions as efficiently as possible. With a new client, specifically in emergency cases, there is a learning curve that has to happen on both sides. We have to learn the clients tolerance level and they have to learn our process.

Our clients benefit because we help them see what they normally can’t. We help them understand what they normally don’t. Most of all, we help them see the value in something you can’t touch.

17. Doug Wise
    January 14, 2020 | 12:39 pm

One standard attorneys must follow is to file a leave of absence with each court with which you have a case. In family law we are in Superior Court and so we inform each county of planned vacations. At the Wise Law Firm, we submit this for the full year at the beginning of each year so that the court knows and that our clients know as well. Planning ahead benefits the firm because we can schedule court, mediations, etc. well in advance. This benefits our clients because they know that if we have filed a leave of absence they will not have court on that day and can plan their schedule accordingly.

18. Kenny Cox
    January 14, 2020 | 3:49 pm

As a contractor my goal is to stand out from the rest and show people that I am professional and that I take my work seriously. I personally like to shave everyday and present myself as someone they would be comfortable to do business with. I know people have busy lives so I call when I am on my way so that they are ready for me when I arrive. I also always make sure that my clients have 2 of my business cards and a service ticker with my phone number so they can reach out to me if something comes up. I want to know my clients and future clients are able get a hold of me easily. This helps me show that customer service is a priority of mine. It also helps me get repeat business as well as referrals to their friends and family.

19. Len Nelms
    January 15, 2020 | 8:36 am

The primary standard for tax relief representation is that anyone who wants to do that type of work must be licensed. Anyone can prepare tax returns – no license required. Only CPAs, attorneys, and enrolled agents can hold Power of Attorney to represent a client before the IRS. However, it goes beyond just holding a license. Because this is an area of specialization, a taxpayer should never trust someone who only dabbles in this type of work “every now and then”. This is a constantly changing area of practice, and only someone who focuses on this type of work should be trusted with a taxpayer’s IRS problems!

20. Emile J. Farge
    January 15, 2020 | 9:55 am

An often not understood standard in mortgage industry concerns appraisals. For many years some companies were known by “you can count on them for getting a good high appraisal” and that was seen as a “competitive edge.” But it led to abuse after abuse — so that with the 2010 Mortgage Reform statutes: lenders are nolonger even allowed to speak with an appriser about the value of a property. We must place an order through an “appraisal management company” (AMC) and they pick from a list of qualified appraisers — usually having at least 3 for each zip code — and the lender is not allowed to know who the appraiser is until the report is given. BUT the client has no such restriction: s/he can be present and can show the appraiser the improvements etc. in an effort to have a good value assigned. We all learned this from — of all unlikely places– the Ethics Committe of the House of Representatives!

21. Emile J. Farge
    January 15, 2020 | 9:57 am

I invite comments on this appraisal matter by email or phone: E.J. at 678 361 7291 ; efarge@rhfunding.com

22. Timothy Brisbane
    January 15, 2020 | 10:06 am

Are All Roofers The Same?

Roofing is typically not a “do it yourself” trade. Most individuals don’t get home and walk around on top of their roof. In fact, most people never get on the roof. There is no doubt, there are many good roofers and many bad ones. At RWN Roofing, we use the best materials on the market. Here at RWN we don’t cut corners. If you asked what materials your last roofing company used, most people would not know the difference, but we take great pride in using excellent quality products to serve our customers. My name and our company reputation are more important thatn a few extra dollars in our pocket.

Industry standard for components used on a roof are:
    Drip edge- 4 inch
    Ice &water- 1.5 ft in valleys
    Haul off – yard dumpster
    Felt- 15lb felt of generic synthetic
    Starter shingles- XT 25 or 3 tabs
    Hip 7 Ridge xt25

Common Problems with using industry standard are 130mph wind warranty is voided, rotten facial and decking, cracked driveways, damaged landscape and leaks in valleys

RWN standard
    Drip Edge- 6 inch
    Ice & Water 3 ft valleys
    Haul off- Dump Trailers
    Felt- Certainteed Roof Runner
    Starter- Certainteed Swiftstart
    Hip & Ridge- Certainteed Shadow Ridge

With using RWN standards we’ve got you covered.
    While most architectural shingles have some kind of limited lifetime warranty we also offer a 20 year and a 50 yr full replacement cost warranty for any defects on yiour RWN roofing. We provide a 10 yr labor warranty, 30 year warranty, 130mph wrranty, 10 year ssure start and 10yr streak warranty.

Part of our commitment to our commuinity is to be more than roofing. A portion of all our profits go to help the 15,000 children in the Georgia Foster Care system.
    We hope our customers can feel good knowing that when RWN Roofing installs a roof on your house, your helping provide homes for abuse or neglected children.

Thank you for partnering with us to help children.

23. Hector Lopez
    January 15, 2020 | 2:20 pm

Share a standard in your industry that we aren’t aware of:
    When a project value exceeds $2500.00 a state license contractor should be hired.

[1] Who taught you this norm?
    Georgia State Homebuilders Association

[2] How does it benefit you?
    Since I am a state residential/light commercial builder, I am able to perform projects unlicensed contractors can not because of my ability to obtain building permits.

[3] How does it benefit your clients?
    We are able to service our clients at any level of their project needs.

24. Lance Smith
    January 16, 2020 | 2:38 pm

In the fitness industry we “give to get”. Potential clients will receive a free session, evaluation, and mini consult on what to focus on to reach their goal(s). In return we earn clients who match our environment and therefore, are more “permanent” than “temporary” clients.

[1] This method was taught to me by just being and working in the fitness industry and its environment. You see what people are more responsive to.

[2] The benefit that is received as a business owner is, that you receive clients who have tried out the environment and have made a decision on whether its a fit for them or not. Creating a more solid and loyal client base.

[3] Clients benefit from the etiquette by trying out a service and environment at no cost to them.

25. Tim Cowan
    January 16, 2020 | 3:18 pm

As a Realtor, there is a code of ethics against soliciting to or communicating with another agents client. Sometimes I will receive a lead for someone who currently has their house listed with another agent. I can’t reach out to them to solicit their business while they are in a exclusive agency agreement with another agent. However, I can talk with them if they are not happy with their current agent, but they would have to contact me and I would not be able to give them any advise until they terminated their current agreement.
    All Realtors will go through this training when newly licensed and through continual education.
    It benefits me when everyone understands the rules. The bar is not set very high in our industry and I try to hold myself and my team to a higher standard.
    Our clients are benefited because they will truly understand and see what client representation looks like when buying, selling or investing in Real Estate.

26. Zac DeDominicis
    January 16, 2020 | 5:48 pm

A standard in the Film Industry you might not know is what we call, “Free to Fee”. The, “Free to Fee” method is all about adding value first before asking for value to be given to you.

On it’s face, one can see this in strictly financial terms. But this principle lends itself to how we conduct our relationships as well. I’m always looking for ways I can add value to others first before expecting value to be given to me.

[1] This method was taught to me by Parker Walbeck of Fulltime Filmmaker.

[2] This benefit’s me by creating a positive relationship up-front, that will usually lead to great work as well as great working relationships.

[3] This benefit’s my clients by adding value to them first before ever expecting anything from them.

In other words, this standard can be summed up as, “Do unto other’s as you would have done unto you”.

27. David Edmonson
    January 16, 2020 | 6:09 pm

A standard in the Magento eCommerce industry is to maintain a staging server for testing all changes. The world has access to the production server where the fully tested application lives.
    [1] I learned this from colleagues in the industry who work at Fortune 500 firms.
    [2] The primary benefit to me is that I’m able to test new features before releasing them to the world. If there are bugs I catch them prior to the client or their customers.
    [3] This is also the exact same benefit that my clients get! Sometimes software doesn’t work as advertised.

A staging environment minimizes the bugs and glitches for the world to see.

28. Steven Miller
    January 16, 2020 | 9:10 pm

One industry standard among ethical attorneys is to not “poach” another attorney’s client. I emphasize “ethical” attorneys because there are those that will intentionally go after clients with representation. It’s an art from that is often frowned upon and gives the “poacher” a bad name. Most attorneys avoid poachers for obvious reasons. It’s difficult for a client to trust the attorney the attorney they are with when they’re being pulled in a different direction. By not practicing the art, client’s are able to get better representation.